Cornbread is one of those classic dishes that just never gets old.
It’s warm, comforting, and pairs perfectly with a variety of sides.
But if you are looking for something new to serve with your cornbread, then you have come to the right place.
I’m sharing 22 of the best side dishes to eat with cornbread.
From hearty soups to light salads and everything in between, there is sure to be something on this list that will take your meal to the next level.
So go ahead and give one (or all!) of these delicious sides a try the next time you make cornbread!
Why Consider Serving Side Dishes for Cornbread?
- Side dishes can add variety to a meal featuring cornbread. Serving side dishes with cornbread allows you to offer a range of flavors and textures, from crunchy vegetables to creamy dips or sauces. This helps create an interesting and balanced meal that everyone will enjoy.
- Side dishes can help make the meal more filling and nutritious. Cornbread is often served as part of a larger meal, but it may not provide enough protein or other nutrients on its own. Adding side dishes such as beans, lentils, nuts, seeds, or leafy greens can help round out the nutritional profile of the meal while also making it more satisfying for diners who are looking for something heartier than just bread alone.
- Side dishes can be used to customize the flavor profile of your cornbread dish according to individual tastes and preferences. For example, if someone doesn’t like spicy food they could opt for milder sides such as steamed vegetables or mashed potatoes instead of chili peppers or jalapenos in their cornbread dish; likewise those who prefer bolder flavors could choose spicier sides like salsa or hot sauce to accompany their cornbread instead of plain butter or honey butter spread on top!
What To Eat With Cornbread – 22 Best Sides
Cornbread is a delicious, nutritious and versatile dish.
However, it can be hard to know what dishes to pair with cornbread to make a balanced meal.
Here are 22 sides that go perfectly with cornbread – from salads and soups to vegetables and beans:
- About This Recipe: Chili is a classic dish that pairs perfectly with cornbread. It’s easy to make and can be customized to your tastes. Start by sautéing onions, garlic, and bell peppers in a large pot. Add ground beef or turkey and cook until browned. Then add canned tomatoes, beans, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the flavors have blended together. Serve with warm cornbread for a comforting meal that everyone will love!
- Serving Ideas: Chili is great served with other sides such as rice or potatoes. You can also top it off with shredded cheese, sour cream, diced avocado or jalapenos for an extra kick of flavor. For a lighter option try serving it over greens like spinach or kale for a nutritious dinner option. Cornbread muffins are also delicious when served alongside chili – just make sure to serve them warm so they don’t get soggy!
- About This Recipe: Meatloaf is a classic dish that pairs perfectly with cornbread. It’s easy to make and can be customized with different seasonings, herbs, and vegetables. The combination of ground beef, pork, or turkey with breadcrumbs and eggs creates a flavorful loaf that is moist on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- Serving Ideas: To complete your meal, serve meatloaf alongside mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables for a balanced plate. For an extra flavor boost, top your meatloaf with ketchup or barbecue sauce before baking. Cornbread makes an excellent side dish for this classic comfort food; try adding some diced jalapenos to your cornbread batter for a spicy kick!
- About This Recipe: Ham and Bean Soup is a classic comfort food that pairs perfectly with cornbread. It’s easy to make, hearty, and full of flavor. The soup starts with a base of ham hock, onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and herbs. Dried beans are added for protein and texture. The soup is simmered until the beans are tender and the flavors have melded together into a delicious broth.
- Serving Ideas: Serve this comforting soup with warm cornbread for a complete meal. For an extra layer of flavor, top each bowl with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or crumbled bacon bits before serving. You can also add cooked diced potatoes or shredded chicken to the soup for additional protein if desired.
- About This Recipe: Homemade chicken noodle soup is a classic comfort food that pairs perfectly with cornbread. The combination of the savory broth, tender chicken, and hearty noodles makes for a satisfying meal. To make this recipe even more delicious, add in some fresh herbs like parsley or thyme. Serve it up with a side of warm cornbread for an easy weeknight dinner that everyone will love.
- Serving Ideas: For a complete meal, serve the homemade chicken noodle soup alongside your favorite salad and some freshly baked cornbread. You can also top the soup with shredded cheese or crumbled bacon for added flavor and texture. If you’re looking to lighten things up, try serving it over steamed vegetables instead of noodles. No matter how you serve it, this comforting dish is sure to be a hit!
5. Pot Roast
- About This Recipe: Pot roast is a classic comfort food that pairs perfectly with cornbread. It’s an easy one-pot meal that can be cooked in the oven or slow cooker. The key to making a delicious pot roast is to use quality ingredients and cook it low and slow. Start by searing the beef in a hot skillet, then add vegetables and herbs for flavor. Finally, pour in some broth or wine and let it simmer until the meat is tender and juicy.
- Serving Ideas: Serve your pot roast with freshly baked cornbread for a comforting meal that will satisfy everyone at the table. To complete the meal, add sides like mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, or steamed greens. For dessert, serve up some warm apple crisp topped with vanilla ice cream for an indulgent finish!
- About This Recipe: Creamy smothered pork chops are a classic Southern dish that pairs perfectly with cornbread. The pork chops are cooked in a creamy sauce made from butter, onion, garlic, and cream of mushroom soup. The result is a savory and comforting meal that will satisfy the whole family.
- Serving Ideas: To make this dish into a complete meal, serve it alongside some fluffy cornbread and your favorite sides. Some great options include mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, or macaroni and cheese. For an extra touch of flavor, top the pork chops with some freshly chopped parsley before serving.
- About This Recipe: Sweet BBQ Beef Sandwiches are a delicious and easy way to enjoy the flavors of summer. The sweet and smoky barbecue sauce is combined with tender beef, onions, and peppers for a flavorful sandwich that pairs perfectly with cornbread.
- Serving Ideas: To make this meal complete, serve these sandwiches alongside a side of creamy coleslaw or potato salad. For an extra touch of sweetness, top the sandwiches with pickles or sliced tomatoes. Serve the sandwiches on warm cornbread for a hearty meal that will satisfy everyone at the table!
- About This Recipe: Hamburger vegetable soup is a hearty and comforting meal that pairs perfectly with cornbread. It’s made with ground beef, vegetables, and a flavorful tomato-based broth. The soup can be served as is or topped with shredded cheese for an extra cheesy kick.
- Serving Ideas: To make this dish into a complete meal, serve it alongside some freshly baked cornbread. The sweetness of the cornbread will balance out the savory flavors of the soup. For an even heartier meal, add some cooked beans to the soup or top it off with crumbled bacon bits for added crunch and flavor.
- About This Recipe: Stuffed bell peppers are a classic dish that can be easily adapted to fit any dietary preference. The basic recipe consists of bell peppers stuffed with a mixture of cooked rice, ground beef or turkey, and vegetables such as onions, garlic, and tomatoes. The peppers are then baked in the oven until they are tender and the filling is cooked through.
- Serving Ideas: Stuffed bell peppers make an excellent main course for dinner. Serve them with a side salad or roasted vegetables for a complete meal. For added flavor, top the stuffed peppers with shredded cheese before baking. To make this dish vegetarian-friendly, substitute the ground meat with lentils or beans and add extra vegetables like mushrooms or zucchini to the stuffing mix. Cornbread makes an ideal accompaniment to stuffed bell peppers; serve it alongside your meal for a balanced plate full of flavor!
- About This Recipe: One Pot Cuban Style Rice (with Chicken and Sausage) is a flavorful, easy-to-make meal that can be served as a main dish or side. It combines chicken, sausage, rice, bell peppers, onions, garlic and spices to create a delicious one pot meal. The combination of flavors makes this dish perfect for pairing with cornbread.
- Serving Ideas: To make the most out of this one pot meal, serve it alongside some freshly baked cornbread. The sweetness of the cornbread will balance out the savory flavors in the rice dish. You can also add some steamed vegetables such as broccoli or green beans to round out your meal. For an extra kick of flavor, top your plate with some freshly chopped cilantro or parsley before serving!
11. Honey Butter
- About This Recipe: Honey butter is a simple yet delicious condiment that pairs perfectly with cornbread. It’s made by combining softened butter, honey, and a pinch of salt. The result is a creamy spread that adds sweetness and richness to any dish.
- Serving Ideas: Honey butter can be served alongside cornbread as part of a larger meal or enjoyed on its own as an appetizer or snack. It also makes an excellent topping for grilled meats, roasted vegetables, and salads. For breakfast, try spreading it on toast or pancakes for added sweetness and flavor.
- About This Recipe: Southern-style collard greens are a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with cornbread. The recipe calls for bacon, onion, garlic, and chicken broth to create a flavorful base for the greens. The addition of apple cider vinegar gives the dish a slight tanginess that complements the sweetness of the cornbread.
- Serving Ideas: To make a complete meal out of this combination, serve it alongside fried chicken or pork chops and mashed potatoes. For an even heartier meal, add some black-eyed peas or macaroni and cheese to round out your plate. If you’re looking for something lighter, try serving it with grilled fish or roasted vegetables instead. No matter what you choose to pair it with, this classic southern combo is sure to be a hit!
13. Baked Beans
- About This Recipe: Baked beans are a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with cornbread. This recipe is made with navy beans, bacon, and a sweet-tangy sauce. The combination of flavors makes for an irresistible side dish that will be the star of any meal.
- Serving Ideas: Baked beans can be served as a side to many dishes, but they pair especially well with cornbread. Serve them alongside grilled meats such as steak or chicken, or use them to top off tacos or burritos. They also make a great addition to salads and sandwiches for lunch or dinner. For breakfast, try serving them with scrambled eggs and toast for a hearty start to the day!
- About This Recipe: Scalloped potatoes are a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with cornbread. The creamy, cheesy potatoes are made with thinly sliced potatoes layered in a baking dish and topped with a rich cheese sauce. The result is an indulgent side dish that will make any meal complete.
- Serving Ideas: To make a balanced meal, serve scalloped potatoes alongside your favorite protein such as grilled chicken or steak, and of course some freshly baked cornbread. For added flavor, top the scalloped potatoes with crispy bacon bits or chopped fresh herbs before baking. You can also add vegetables to the mix by layering in sautéed mushrooms or spinach for extra nutrition and flavor.
- About This Recipe: Southern Fried Chicken is a classic dish that pairs perfectly with cornbread. The chicken is marinated in buttermilk and then coated in a mixture of flour, spices, and herbs before being fried to golden perfection. The result is juicy, flavorful chicken that will be the star of any meal.
- Serving Ideas: To make a balanced meal out of this Southern Fried Chicken and cornbread, serve it alongside some roasted vegetables such as carrots or Brussels sprouts for added nutrition. For an extra kick of flavor, add some sautéed greens like collard greens or kale. A side salad with tomatoes and cucumbers would also be a great addition to round out the meal. Finally, top off your plate with some creamy mashed potatoes for an indulgent finish!
- About This Recipe: Pork tenderloin is a lean cut of meat that pairs perfectly with the sweetness of balsamic cranberry sauce. The pork is seasoned with garlic, rosemary, and thyme before being seared in a hot skillet to create a flavorful crust. The balsamic cranberry sauce adds an extra layer of flavor to the dish and helps to balance out the richness of the pork.
- Serving Ideas: To make this meal complete, serve it alongside some creamy mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables for a balanced plate. Cornbread is also an excellent accompaniment as its sweetness complements both the pork and cranberry sauce. For added texture, top your cornbread with butter or honey butter for an extra touch of sweetness.
- About This Recipe: These melt-in-your-mouth oven baked barbecue ribs are the perfect way to enjoy a classic summertime favorite without having to fire up the grill. The ribs are slow cooked in a flavorful marinade and then finished off with a sweet and tangy homemade barbecue sauce. The result is tender, juicy ribs that will have your family coming back for seconds!
- Serving Ideas: Serve these melt-in-your-mouth oven baked barbecue ribs with some creamy mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese for an easy weeknight dinner. For a more complete meal, pair them with some cornbread and steamed vegetables like green beans or broccoli. You can also serve them as an appetizer at your next backyard gathering along with coleslaw, potato salad, and other sides of your choice.
18. Salmon Patties
- About This Recipe: Salmon patties are a delicious way to enjoy the flavor of salmon without having to cook a whole fish. These patties are made with canned salmon, breadcrumbs, and seasonings for an easy and flavorful meal. Serve them on top of a bed of greens or alongside some roasted vegetables for a balanced meal.
- Serving Ideas: Cornbread is the perfect accompaniment to these salmon patties. The sweetness of the cornbread pairs nicely with the savory flavors in the patty, creating a well-rounded dish that’s sure to please everyone at your table. You can also serve these patties with mashed potatoes or rice for added texture and flavor. For an even heartier meal, add some steamed green beans or sautéed spinach on the side!
Read Also: 15 Sauces that Go Well with Salmon Patties
19. Tamale Pie
- About This Recipe: Tamale pie is a classic dish that combines the flavors of Mexican tamales with the comforting texture of cornbread. The base of this recipe is made from ground beef, tomatoes, and spices, which are layered with a creamy cornbread topping. The result is a hearty meal that’s sure to please everyone at the table.
- Serving Ideas: Tamale pie pairs well with a variety of sides such as refried beans, Spanish rice, or roasted vegetables. For an extra kick of flavor, top your tamale pie with salsa or guacamole before serving. To make it even more filling and nutritious, add some shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes on top for a fresh crunchy contrast to the creamy cornbread layer.
20. Creamed Corn
- About This Recipe: Creamed corn is a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with cornbread. It’s made by combining cooked fresh or frozen corn kernels with a creamy sauce, usually made from butter, cream, and flour. The result is a rich and flavorful accompaniment to any meal.
- Serving Ideas: Creamed corn can be served as an accompaniment to grilled meats such as steak or chicken, roasted vegetables such as potatoes or squash, and of course, cornbread. It also makes for a delicious topping on tacos or burritos. For a complete meal, try serving creamed corn alongside some black beans and rice for an easy yet satisfying dinner.
21. Taco Bake
- About This Recipe: Taco Bake is a delicious and easy way to make a balanced meal with cornbread. It combines ground beef, taco seasoning, black beans, tomatoes, and cheese layered between two layers of cornbread mix. The result is a hearty dish that’s sure to please the whole family.
- Serving Ideas: To complete your meal, serve Taco Bake with sides such as refried beans or Spanish rice. For an extra kick of flavor, top it off with sour cream and salsa. If you’re looking for something lighter on the side, try a simple salad or steamed vegetables like broccoli or green beans.
- About This Recipe: Authentic Cajun Jambalaya is a classic Louisiana dish that combines rice, vegetables, and meat or seafood. It’s a hearty one-pot meal that can be served as an entrée or side dish. The traditional version of this recipe calls for smoked sausage, shrimp, and chicken, but you can also use other proteins such as pork or beef. The key to making the perfect jambalaya is to cook the ingredients in stages so that each component retains its flavor and texture.
- Serving Ideas: To make a complete meal out of authentic Cajun jambalaya, serve it with some cornbread on the side. Cornbread pairs perfectly with this savory dish because it adds sweetness and crunch to balance out the flavors of the jambalaya. You can also add a simple green salad for extra nutrition and color. For dessert, try serving up some classic Southern pecan pie or banana pudding!
In conclusion, cornbread is a classic and delicious side dish that can be served with many different meals.
From chili to honey butter, there are plenty of delicious and easy sides to choose from.
The best sides to serve with cornbread are chili, meatloaf, ham and bean soup, homemade chicken noodle soup, pot roast, creamy smothered pork chops, sweet BBQ beef sandwiches, hamburger vegetable soup, stuffed bell peppers, one pot Cuban style rice, honey butter, southern style collard greens, and baked beans.
These sides all pair perfectly with cornbread and will make sure that your meal is full of flavor.
What To Eat With Cornbread – 22 Best Sides
- Ham and Bean Soup
- Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Pot Roast
- Creamy Smothered Pork Chops
- Sweet BBQ Beef Sandwiches
- Hamburger Vegetable Soup
- Stuffed Bell Peppers
- One Pot Cuban Style Rice (with Chicken and Sausage)
- Honey Butter
- Southern Style Collard Greens
- Baked Beans
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Southern Fried Chicken
- Pork Tenderloin & Balsamic Cranberry Sauce
- Melt-in-Your-Mouth Oven Baked Barbecue Ribs
- Salmon Patties
- Tamale Pie
- Creamed Corn
- Taco Bake
- Authentic Cajun Jambalaya
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a side dish in 25 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.