For those of you who follow me on my blog, you know that I have a special place in my heart for salmon patties.
They’re quick and easy to make, always add a touch of warmth to the table, and are just all-around savory, comforting goodness.
I came up with this list of 15 sauces that all go well with salmon patties after doing some research and trying them all out myself.
So now that you’ve got your salmon patties ready to go, it’s time to pick the perfect sauce!
What Sauce Goes with Salmon Patties?
The best sauce to go with salmon patties is a simple dill sauce. You can make this sauce by mixing together sour cream and mayonnaise in equal parts, along with dill and salt and pepper to taste. This will give you a creamy, tangy sauce that will pair well with the flaky texture of your salmon patty.
Keep scrolling for more sauce ideas!
Tartar sauce is a classic condiment that goes well with just about anything, including salmon patties.
It’s simple to make at home—all you need is mayonnaise and tartar mix (or relish).
You can add in some chopped onion or pickles if you like.
Here are some tips for serving this sauce:
- Use it as a dip for the salmon patties
- Top off a plate of lightly sautéed vegetables with it
- Use it as a spread on bread for sandwiches
Mayonnaise is a delicious, creamy sauce that goes well with many patties.
The best way to make mayonnaise from scratch is by shaking a few tablespoons of lemon juice and some salt into egg yolks.
After you’ve added the oil, keep shaking until all the oil has been absorbed!
The most important thing when serving this sauce is presentation: make sure it’s easy for your guests to eat their food without making a mess.
One way to do this is by putting a small bowl of mayonnaise on top of each salmon patty or burger; this will keep everything together while they’re eating—just make sure you put the bowl directly on top so nothing drips out!
The best way to make this sauce is by starting with a fresh lemon.
Using a hand grater, remove the peel from the lemon and discard any seeds that are attached.
Cut up the rest of your ingredients: garlic cloves and shallots (or onion), then sauté in butter until soft.
Add white wine vinegar and let it reduce before adding olive oil and sherry vinegar.
Season with salt and pepper to taste, then pour over salmon patties or any other fish!
Chimichurri is a fresh and tangy sauce that has been popular for many years.
It’s made from fresh herbs like parsley, oregano and cilantro (but some people also add lemon juice or vinegar) along with garlic and pepper.
I personally make this sauce from scratch using all fresh ingredients (no dried herbs or store-bought mixes), but it can be difficult to find the right proportions of each ingredient before you get used to making it yourself.
I’ve found that when I make chimichurri at home, my family prefers more vinegar than garlic—so we add more red wine vinegar than lemon juice.
If you want something milder on your taste buds, try adding less of both ingredients until you find what works best for you!
If you’re interested in serving your salmon patties with a side dish or two: rice is an excellent option because it pairs well with both sauces and fish flavors alike.
Or try pairing them with sauteed spinach leaves seasoned with salt & pepper plus lots of garlic powder while they’re still hot off the stovetop!
Mango sauce is a delicious and versatile addition to any meal.
To make this sauce from scratch, you’ll need:
- 2 cups chopped fresh mangoes
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (more if desired)
Once you have all of the ingredients, simply blend them together in a food processor or blender until smooth!
Once you’ve made your mango sauce, it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
It also freezes well!
If you want to serve it with salmon patties, simply pour some on top of each patty before serving—but remember not too much or else they will get soggy!
Honey mustard is a classic sauce for salmon patties, and you can make it yourself with a simple recipe.
If you’re cooking for one or two people, simply mix together 1/2 cup of honey and 2 tablespoons of prepared mustard (such as French’s).
If you’re serving guests or have more than that to cook, I recommend doubling the recipe so everyone gets their fair share.
I like to serve these patties on top of a bed of greens with some sliced tomatoes on top.
That way, you not only get the flavor combination of sweet and savory sauce on your fish patty, but also another layer of texture from crisp veggies!
Hoisin Sauce is a delicious and versatile sauce that goes well on anything.
I like to make my own, but there are some good store-bought versions out there, too.
Before you start cooking, keep these things in mind:
- Hoisin Sauce can be made from scratch or bought pre-made at the grocery store. Either way, it’s still tasty!
- Hoisin Sauce can be used in Chinese recipes like egg rolls or lo mein noodles. I also love using it as an appetizer dip with veggies or chicken wings! It’s great drizzled over roasted vegetables too!
I will say that making garlic aioli from scratch can be fairly simple.
It’s just mayo, garlic, lemon juice and salt.
Of course, you can use store-bought mayonnaise, but if you’d like to go the extra mile—or if you’re looking for an excuse to get your hands on some fresh herbs—then make it yourself!
I know this might seem like a lot of work for some people, but it really isn’t as difficult as one might think.
- You basically throw everything into your food processor or blender and whirl away until smooth; then add in any additional ingredients at the end that would compliment your salmon patties best (capers are great!).
- Once everything is blended together nicely, just serve alongside your patties with plenty of lettuce leaves for dipping!
For a delicious dipping sauce, add soy sauce to some mayonnaise and mix well.
You can use this as a marinade for your salmon patties or serve it alongside for dipping.
The great thing about homemade soy sauce is that the flavor will vary slightly depending on the garlic and ginger you use.
Use fresh garlic cloves when making your own soy sauce from scratch, as they will yield more flavor than pre-minced ones.
This is a pretty straightforward sauce.
All you need is two ingredients—orange juice and hot sauce—and you’re good to go.
It’s just like making guacamole, but with less chopping and more blending.
- Drain the oranges, saving their juices for later use in your sauce
- Throw all of your ingredients into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth
This sauce can be used as a condiment on its own or served with salmon patties as an extra layer of flavor!
Tabasco sauce is a hot sauce, and it goes well with salmon patties.
You can make this sauce from scratch by adding some vinegar, salt and pepper to minced garlic, chilies (one can also use jalapeno), white onions and tomatoes.
This makes for a very easy-to-make hot sauce that doesn’t require any other ingredients or condiments to enhance the flavor of your dish.
Personally, I like my salmon patties with Tabasco sauce because it gives them an extra kick of spiciness that most people enjoy when eating seafood.
Some of my best tips for serving this sauce include:
- Serving the salmon patty sandwiched between two slices of bread or inside a bun with lettuce and tomato slices on top
- Garnishing your plate with shredded cheese before serving
Thai Peanut Sauce is a popular dipping sauce served with chicken satay skewers and spring rolls.
It’s also delicious on salmon patties.
This recipe makes enough sauce to serve 4 people, but you can easily halve it if you don’t need as much.
- Cook the coconut milk in a saucepan over medium heat until it reduces by half, about 15 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and peanut butter, stirring until combined then add soy sauce and lime juice to taste—it should be quite salty and sweet!
- Once combined, remove from heat immediately so that the peanut butter does not burn (this will happen quickly if you aren’t careful).
- Pour into serving dish(es) immediately before adding your cooked patty(ies).
Ranch dressing is a classic sauce, and it’s also one of the easiest to make from scratch.
If you haven’t tried this yet, I’m going to give you a few tips for making it yourself.
- First, start with mayonnaise.
- Then add sour cream and buttermilk until they are incorporated into the mixture (but don’t overdo it).
- Add some herbs like parsley or chives; these will add a nice touch of flavor!
You can also use fresh dill instead of dried dillweed if you prefer—just remember that fresh ingredients always pack more punch than dried ones when used in cooking or baking because the flavors are more concentrated in them than those found in their dry counterparts (like fresh vs dried herbs).
A yogurt tzatziki sauce is almost a must-have for this meal.
It’s easy to make your own, but there are also many store-bought options that taste great!
Here’s how I like to make the sauce:
- Drain the yogurt through a fine-mesh strainer into a mixing bowl, then squeeze out as much liquid as possible using your hands or cheesecloth (or both).
- Mix together strained yogurt with garlic cloves and salt until it forms an almost smooth paste. If you want thinner consistency, add some water until desired thickness is reached. The finished product should look like sour cream!
Sriracha sauce is a staple in my kitchen, and I like to make it from scratch.
It’s easy to do—you just combine ingredients together in a jar and shake!
Here are some tips for serving this sauce:
- Use it as a dip with veggies.
- Brush the sauce onto salmon patties before frying them.
- Make sriracha-glazed salmon patties instead of traditional ones! Just brush some on top of the fish cakes while they’re baking in an oven or grilling outside (be sure to remove any skin before doing so). This makes for a delicious alternative that your guests will love!
When it comes to salmon patties, there are plenty of sauces for you to choose from.
Some sauces such as tartar and mayonnaise are popular choices but others like sriracha sauce or chili oil can be exciting and flavorful additions to your meal!
Do not feel limited by what’s already out there on the market—try experimenting with new recipes that suit your taste buds best.
15 Sauces that Go with Salmon Patties
- Tartar Sauce
- Lemon Garlic Butter Sauce
- Mango Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Hoisin Sauce
- Garlic Aioli
- Soy Sauce
- Spicy Orange Sauce
- Tabasco Sauce
- Thai Peanut Sauce
- Ranch dressing
- Yogurt Tzatziki
- Sriracha sauce
- Pick your favorite sauce from this list to serve with your salmon patties.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Be ready to munch in no time!