Green beans are a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with almost any main course.
But if you are looking for something different to serve with your green beans, then you have come to the right place.
I’ve rounded up 10 of the best side dishes to serve with green beans.
From roasted potatoes and garlic mushrooms to cheesy rolls and salads, there is sure to be something on this list that will make your meal more exciting.
So go ahead and give one (or all!) of these recipes a try the next time you make green beans!
Why Consider Serving Sides for Green Beans?
Serving sides for green beans is a great way to add variety and flavor to your meal.
Here are three reasons why you should consider serving sides with green beans:
- To Add Texture: Green beans can be quite soft when cooked, so adding crunchy or crispy sides like roasted nuts, croutons, or fried onions can provide a nice contrast in texture that will make the dish more interesting.
- To Enhance Flavor: Sides like bacon bits, garlic butter sauce, or Parmesan cheese can help bring out the natural flavors of the green beans while also adding their own unique taste to the dish.
- To Increase Nutritional Value: Adding nutrient-rich sides such as quinoa, lentils, or chickpeas can increase the nutritional value of your meal by providing additional vitamins and minerals that may not be present in just plain green beans alone.
What To Serve With Green Beans – 10 Best Side Dishes
Green beans are a delicious side dish, but they can become boring if you don’t serve them with the right accompaniments.
Here are ten sides that pair perfectly with green beans and bring out their flavors even more:
1 – Beef and Broccoli
- What Is It? Beef and broccoli is a classic Chinese-American dish that consists of stir-fried beef strips and broccoli florets in a savory sauce. The beef is usually marinated in soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and other seasonings before being cooked with the broccoli.
- Serving Ideas: Beef and broccoli can be served over steamed white or brown rice for a complete meal. For an extra flavor boost, try adding some sliced mushrooms to the mix. You can also serve it with noodles such as lo mein or chow mein for a heartier dish. To make it even more flavorful, add some chopped green onions or sesame seeds on top before serving.
2 – Garlic Butter Parmesan Baked Butternut Squash
- What Is It? Garlic Butter Parmesan Baked Butternut Squash is a delicious side dish that combines the sweetness of butternut squash with the savory flavors of garlic, butter, and parmesan cheese. The squash is cut into cubes and then baked in a mixture of garlic butter and parmesan cheese until it’s tender and golden brown.
- Serving Ideas: This dish pairs well with roasted chicken or pork chops, as well as grilled steak or fish. It also makes an excellent accompaniment to green beans or other vegetables. For a complete meal, serve it alongside some crusty bread and a salad for a light yet satisfying dinner.
3 – Garlic Butter Noodles
- What Is It? Garlic butter noodles is a simple side dish that combines cooked egg noodles with garlic, butter, and herbs. The ingredients are combined in a skillet and heated until the noodles are coated in the flavorful mixture. This dish can be served as an accompaniment to green beans or any other vegetable side dish.
- Serving Ideas: Garlic butter noodles make a great accompaniment to green beans because they add flavor and texture to the meal. Serve them alongside roasted vegetables for a delicious dinner or as part of a larger spread of sides at your next gathering. You can also top them with grated Parmesan cheese for an extra layer of flavor. For added crunch, try adding some chopped nuts or breadcrumbs before serving.
4 – Creamy Cauliflower Casserole
- What Is It? Creamy Cauliflower Casserole is a delicious side dish that combines the flavors of cauliflower, cream cheese, and Parmesan cheese. The casserole is creamy and cheesy with a crunchy topping of breadcrumbs and butter. This dish pairs perfectly with green beans for a flavorful meal.
- Serving Ideas: To serve this casserole alongside green beans, try adding some roasted garlic or sautéed mushrooms to the mix for extra flavor. You can also top it off with some fresh herbs like parsley or chives for an added pop of color. For an even heartier meal, add cooked bacon or sausage to the mix before baking. Serve your creamy cauliflower casserole with steamed green beans for a complete dinner that everyone will love!
5 – Orange Chicken
- What Is It? Orange chicken is a popular Chinese-American dish made with pieces of chicken that are battered and fried, then tossed in a sweet and tangy orange sauce. The sauce is usually made with orange juice, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, sugar, and vinegar.
- Serving Ideas: Orange chicken pairs well with steamed white or brown rice as well as stir-fried vegetables such as broccoli or bok choy. For an extra flavor boost, try adding some chopped green onions to the top of the dish before serving. You can also serve it over noodles for a heartier meal. To make it even more interesting, try adding some crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce for a spicy kick!
6 – Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks
- What Is It? Teriyaki chicken drumsticks are a classic Asian-inspired dish that is made by marinating chicken drumsticks in a sweet and savory teriyaki sauce. The marinade typically consists of soy sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, and other seasonings. After the chicken has been marinated for several hours or overnight, it is then cooked until golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Serving Ideas: Teriyaki chicken drumsticks can be served as an appetizer or main course with a variety of accompaniments. For an easy side dish to go along with your teriyaki chicken drumsticks, try serving them with steamed green beans tossed in sesame oil and sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds. You could also serve them alongside roasted vegetables such as carrots or Brussels sprouts for a heartier meal. Rice is another great option to pair with teriyaki chicken drumsticks; try making sticky rice flavored with coconut milk for an extra special touch!
7 – Meatloaf
- What Is It? Meatloaf is a classic comfort food dish made with ground beef, pork, or other meats mixed with vegetables and seasonings. The mixture is then formed into a loaf shape and baked in the oven.
- Serving Ideas: Meatloaf pairs well with green beans as a side dish. To add some flavor to your meal, try adding sautéed mushrooms or onions to the meatloaf before baking it. You can also top the meatloaf with ketchup or barbecue sauce for an extra kick of flavor. For a lighter option, serve the meatloaf over mashed potatoes instead of green beans.
8 – Sloppy Joes
- What Is It? Sloppy Joes are a classic American dish made with ground beef, onions, and a sweet-and-tangy tomato sauce. The mixture is served on hamburger buns or other breads.
- Serving Ideas: Sloppy Joes make an excellent accompaniment to green beans. Serve the two together for a delicious meal that’s sure to please everyone at the table. For added flavor, top the sloppy joes with shredded cheese and diced onions before serving. You can also serve them alongside roasted potatoes or mashed potatoes for a hearty side dish.
9 – Fried Rice
- What Is It? Fried rice is a popular dish made with cooked rice, vegetables, and proteins such as eggs or meat. The ingredients are stir-fried in oil until the rice is lightly browned and the vegetables are tender.
- Serving Ideas: Fried rice makes an excellent side dish for green beans. To make it even more flavorful, add some garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, and other seasonings to the mix. You can also top your fried rice with chopped scallions or cilantro for added flavor. For a heartier meal, add diced chicken or shrimp to the fried rice before serving.
10 – Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- What Is It? Baked macaroni and cheese is a classic comfort food dish made with cooked macaroni noodles, cheese sauce, and breadcrumbs. The pasta is mixed with the cheese sauce and then topped with breadcrumbs before being baked in the oven until golden brown.
- Serving Ideas: Baked macaroni and cheese can be served as a side dish or main course. To make it more interesting, try adding some vegetables such as steamed broccoli or roasted bell peppers to the mix before baking. You can also top it off with bacon bits or diced ham for an extra flavor boost. For a lighter version of this dish, use whole wheat pasta instead of regular macaroni noodles.
In conclusion, green beans are a healthy and flavorful side dish that can be served with a variety of main dishes.
From beef and broccoli to orange chicken, there are plenty of options to choose from.
The best side dishes to serve with green beans are garlic butter parmesan baked butternut squash, garlic butter noodles, creamy cauliflower casserole, orange chicken, teriyaki chicken drumsticks, meatloaf, sloppy joes, fried rice, and baked macaroni and cheese.
These side dishes offer a variety of flavors and textures that will complement your green beans perfectly.
With these 10 side dishes, you’ll never run out of ideas for what to serve with green beans.
What To Serve With Green Beans – 10 Best Side Dishes
- Beef and Broccoli
- Garlic Butter Parmesan Baked Butternut Squash
- Garlic Butter Noodles
- Creamy Cauliflower Casserole
- Orange Chicken
- Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks
- Sloppy Joes
- Fried Rice
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a side dish in 30 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.