If you’re looking for a flavorful way to enjoy steamed broccoli, look no further.
This cruciferous vegetable is healthy and versatile, making it an excellent addition to any meal.
But if you want to take your dish up a notch, adding the right sauce can make all the difference.
From creamy cheese sauces to tangy vinaigrettes, there are plenty of options available when it comes to dressing up steamed broccoli.
Here are 11 of the best sauces that will take your side dish from boring to delicious in no time!
Read Also: What To Serve With Broccoli? 10 Best Side Dishes
11 Best Sauces For Steamed Broccoli
Steamed broccoli is a delicious and nutritious side dish.
But making it even more flavorful can be done with the right sauce.
Here are 11 sauces that work perfectly for steamed broccoli, each offering its own unique flavor:
1. Peanut Sauce
Peanut sauce is a condiment made from peanuts, oil, and other ingredients such as garlic, ginger, chili peppers, and soy sauce.
It is commonly used in Southeast Asian cuisine to add flavor to dishes such as noodles or stir-fries.
There are many variations of peanut sauce that can be used to enhance the flavor of steamed broccoli.
- For example, you can make a spicy version by adding chili peppers or red pepper flakes for heat.
- You can also add honey or brown sugar for sweetness and lime juice for acidity.
- Other ingredients like sesame oil or fish sauce can also be added to create unique flavors.
Experiment with different combinations until you find one that suits your taste!
2. Cheddar Sauce
Cheddar sauce is a creamy, cheesy sauce made with cheddar cheese and other ingredients such as butter, flour, milk, and seasonings.
It can be used to top steamed vegetables like broccoli or cauliflower for an extra flavorful side dish.
There are many variations of cheddar sauce that can be used to add flavor to steamed vegetables.
For example, you can add garlic powder or onion powder for a savory kick.
You can also use different types of cheese such as Gruyere or Gouda for a more complex flavor profile.
If you want to make the sauce spicier, try adding some hot sauce or red pepper flakes.
Finally, if you want to make it creamier and richer, try adding some heavy cream or sour cream.
3. Lemon Butter Sauce
Lemon butter sauce is a simple yet flavorful sauce made with butter, lemon juice, and seasonings.
It’s perfect for steamed broccoli or other vegetables, as well as fish and chicken dishes.
The bright flavor of the lemon complements the richness of the butter to create a delicious sauce that will take your meal to the next level.
- Add garlic or shallots for an extra layer of flavor.
- Use white wine instead of lemon juice for a more subtle taste.
- For a creamier texture, add heavy cream or Greek yogurt.
- Spice it up with red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper for some heat.
- Add fresh herbs such as parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, etc., for an herbal twist.
4. Soy Sauce
Soy sauce is a dark, salty liquid made from fermented soybeans.
It is used as a condiment and flavoring agent in many Asian cuisines.
- Light Soy Sauce – This type of soy sauce has a milder flavor than regular soy sauce and is saltier. It’s often used for dipping sauces or to add flavor to dishes without overpowering them.
- Dark Soy Sauce – This type of soy sauce has a richer, more intense flavor than light soy sauce and is less salty. It’s often used in marinades or stir-fries to give dishes an extra depth of flavor.
- Tamari – Tamari is similar to regular soy sauce but it contains no wheat, making it gluten free. It also has a slightly thicker consistency and deeper color than regular soy sauce.
- Sweet Soy Sauce – Sweet soy sauce adds sweetness as well as saltiness to dishes, making it great for adding complexity to sauces or marinades.
5. Parmesan Sauce
Parmesan sauce is a creamy, cheesy sauce made with butter, cream, and grated Parmesan cheese.
It is often used as a topping for steamed vegetables such as broccoli or cauliflower.
The sauce can also be used to make casseroles and pasta dishes more flavorful.
- For a lighter version of the sauce, use half-and-half instead of cream.
- To add some spice to the dish, try adding red pepper flakes or garlic powder to the sauce.
- If you want a richer flavor, substitute heavy cream for the half-and-half or cream.
- To give it an Italian twist, add some chopped fresh basil leaves to the mixture before serving.
- For an extra kick of flavor, top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese before serving.
Mayo is a thick, creamy condiment made from egg yolks, oil, and an acid such as vinegar or lemon juice.
It is often used as a spread on sandwiches and in salads.
- Chipotle mayo: A spicy version of mayo made with chipotle peppers for added flavor.
- Garlic mayo: Mayonnaise flavored with garlic for a more intense flavor.
- Herb mayo: Mayonnaise blended with herbs like parsley, dill, or chives for extra flavor.
- Mustard mayo: A combination of mustard and mayonnaise that adds tangy notes to dishes.
- Wasabi mayo: A Japanese twist on the classic condiment that adds heat to dishes.
7. Honey Lemon Dressing
Honey lemon dressing is a simple sauce made with honey, lemon juice, and olive oil.
It’s perfect for adding flavor to steamed broccoli or other vegetables.
The combination of sweet and tart flavors makes it a great accompaniment to any dish.
- Add garlic or shallots for an extra kick of flavor
- Use different types of honey such as clover, orange blossom, or wildflower
- Substitute the olive oil with sesame oil for an Asian twist
- Add herbs such as parsley, basil, oregano, or thyme
- Mix in some Dijon mustard for added tanginess
8. Tahini Sauce
Tahini sauce is a creamy, nutty condiment made from ground sesame seeds.
It is commonly used in Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisine as a dip or dressing for salads, vegetables, and meats.
It can also be used to make hummus or added to soups and stews for extra flavor.
- Traditional tahini sauce: This version of the sauce is made with tahini paste, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Yogurt tahini sauce: This variation adds yogurt to the traditional recipe for a creamier texture and tangy flavor.
- Spicy tahini sauce: To add some heat to your dish, try adding chili peppers or hot sauces like sriracha to your tahini sauce.
- Herbed tahini sauce: For an herbal twist on the classic recipe, try adding fresh herbs such as parsley or cilantro to your mixture.
9. Asian-Style Garlic Sauce
Asian-style garlic sauce is a savory and flavorful condiment made from garlic, soy sauce, sesame oil, and other ingredients.
It is commonly used to add flavor to steamed vegetables such as broccoli or bok choy.
- Soy Sauce – A base of soy sauce gives the sauce its salty flavor. You can use light or dark soy sauce depending on your preference.
- Garlic – Freshly minced garlic adds a pungent kick to the dish.
- Sesame Oil – This fragrant oil adds an earthy nuttiness that pairs well with the other flavors in the dish.
- Rice Vinegar – The acidity of rice vinegar helps balance out the sweetness of the other ingredients in the dish.
- Honey – A touch of honey helps round out all of the flavors in this delicious condiment.
10. Hollandaise Sauce
Hollandaise sauce is a classic French sauce made from egg yolks, butter, and lemon juice.
It is often served over vegetables such as steamed broccoli or asparagus.
The sauce has a rich, creamy texture and a tangy flavor that pairs well with the earthy taste of cooked vegetables.
- Classic Hollandaise Sauce: This version uses only egg yolks, butter, and lemon juice for a simple yet flavorful sauce.
- Mustard Hollandaise Sauce: Add some Dijon mustard to the classic recipe for an extra kick of flavor.
- Herbed Hollandaise Sauce: Mix in some fresh herbs like parsley or tarragon to give the sauce an herbal aroma and flavor.
- Spicy Hollandaise Sauce: For those who like it hot, add some cayenne pepper or chili flakes to the mix for an extra spicy kick!
11. Chili Sauce
Chili sauce is a condiment made from chili peppers, vinegar, and other ingredients such as garlic, sugar, and salt.
It can be used to add flavor to dishes like steamed broccoli or as a dipping sauce for appetizers.
- Sweet Chili Sauce: This type of chili sauce is made with red chilies, garlic, sugar, and vinegar. It has a sweet and spicy flavor that pairs well with steamed vegetables.
- Sriracha Sauce: This popular Thai chili sauce is made from red jalapeno peppers, garlic, sugar, and vinegar. It has a slightly sweet taste with a hint of heat that adds an extra kick to any dish.
- Hot Chili Oil: This Chinese condiment is made from dried chilies infused in oil along with spices like Sichuan peppercorns and ginger. The intense heat makes it perfect for adding some spice to your favorite dishes.
What do you put in the water when steaming broccoli?
When steaming broccoli, add a pinch of salt to the water for flavor. You can also add a few drops of lemon juice or white wine vinegar if desired. Alternatively, you could use vegetable stock in place of water for added flavor.
What can I add to broccoli to make it taste better?
Adding seasoning is the simplest way to make broccoli taste better. A mix of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and salt will give it a nice flavor. You can also sauté it in butter or olive oil with garlic, onions, and your favorite herbs for a more savory taste.
What goes good on broccoli?
Broccoli pairs well with many different flavors. Try adding garlic, lemon juice, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil for a classic combination. You can also try roasted sesame seeds, cashews or pistachios for a crunchy texture; balsamic vinegar and honey for a sweet-tangy flavor; or chili flakes to give it some heat.
11 Best Sauces For Steamed Broccoli
- Peanut Sauce
- Cheddar Sauce
- Lemon Butter Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Parmesan Sauce
- Honey Lemon Dressing
- Tahini Sauce
- Asian-Style Garlic Sauce
- Hollandaise Sauce
- Chili Sauce
- Select your favorite sauce.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a sauce in 30 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.