If you’re a fan of sloppy Joes, then you’re probably familiar with the classic version: ground beef, tomato sauce, etc served on top of a hamburger bun.
But what if you wanted to switch things up a little?
What if you wanted to serve sloppy joes without bread?
Well, I’ve got good news: it can be done!
Sloppy Joes are one of those dishes that is so versatile, it can be made in just about any way you want.
You could even make them into a soup or stew!
That’s right—you don’t even have to serve them on buns anymore if you don’t want to.
So, in this article, I’ll show you how to serve sloppy joes without bread in 12 different ways.
How to Serve Sloppy Joes without Bread
When you’re trying to eat healthier, it can be hard to find a way to enjoy your favorite comfort foods.
And while most sloppy joes recipes use bread as their main ingredient, there’s no reason why you can’t serve them without the bread and still get that same delicious flavor.
So, how do you serve sloppy joes without bread?
Here are 15 ideas:
1. Use Lettuce Leaves as A Wrap
One of the easiest ways to enjoy traditional sloppy joes is to put them in a lettuce wrap.
The lettuce acts like a wrap and holds all of the ingredients together in one hand-held meal.
This makes it easy for people with allergies or dietary restrictions to enjoy this dish too!
You can make these wraps ahead of time too—they make great leftovers!
Simply store them in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to eat and then microwave them for 30 seconds before eating.
2. Serve Them on Top of A Bed of Rice or Quinoa
This is one of my favorite ways to serve sloppy joes.
It makes for a great combination of textures—the softness of rice or quinoa contrasting with the meatiness of the meat sauce and crunchy veggies.
Also, since rice and quinoa are two healthy grains, this dish is totally guilt-free!
I like using white rice because I find it has a better texture than brown rice when it comes to this dish, but feel free to substitute brown if that’s what you have on hand!
3. Enjoy Them as Is, without Any Bread or Wraps at All
If you want a classic sloppy joe experience that is free of any extra carbs or unnecessary ingredients, then this is the way to go!
Serve them on their own with a side of veggies or salad greens—you won’t even miss those pesky carbs or wraps!
4. Get Creative and Use Other Vegetables as Your Wraps
One of my favorite ways to serve sloppy joes without bread is by using big-leafed vegetables like Chinese kale or collard greens as wraps.
This allows me to get all the same flavors and textures of a traditional sandwich without having to worry about eating a lot of carbs or gluten!
Instead of using buns for your sloppy joes, layer all your ingredients into a bowl instead.
This makes it easy to eat with a spoon or fork—just like any other bowl!
You’ll still get all the flavors of traditional sloppy joes without having to worry about carbs or calories from bread.
Here’s how to do it:
- In a large bowl, mix together your ground beef or ground turkey, chopped onion and bell pepper (you can also add in some celery if you like), tomato sauce or ketchup (I recommend using this recipe for homemade tomato sauce), Worcestershire sauce (for extra depth of flavor) and brown sugar or honey (to balance out the acidity of the tomato sauce).
- Then just pile everything on top of each other! You can even add some cheese if you want!
The result is a flavorful bowl full of delicious goodness—without any carbs from bread!
6. Use Sweet Potato Toasts or Sliced Avocado as Your Base
If you’re looking for a fun twist on the traditional sloppy joe, try serving it on slices of sweet potato toast instead of buns.
You’ll get lots of fiber and antioxidants in one tasty meal!
Or if you want something more decadent, try serving it on slices of avocado instead.
Avocados are full of healthy fats that will keep your energy levels up all day long!
7. Serve Them on Keto-Friendly Crostini or Mini Keto Pitas
One of the easiest ways is by serving them on keto-friendly crostini or mini pitas—two popular keto-friendly options for sandwiches.
Crostinis are simply slices of Italian bread that have been cut into small pieces and then grilled or baked until crispy and golden brown.
Mini pitas are also slices of pita bread that have been cut into smaller pieces and baked until crisp.
Both options will give you all the flavor of a traditional sloppy joe, but with fewer carbs and calories!
While it may sound weird at first, using a portobello mushroom cap as a bun is actually one of the best ways to serve sloppy joes without bread.
You might have seen this done in restaurants before, but if not—it’s really easy! All you need is a portobello mushroom cap (or two), some buns and butter or olive oil for cooking.
Cauliflower rice is a great alternative because it’s super low-carb and has a texture that’s very similar to traditional rice.
It also happens to be incredibly easy to make—just chop up some cauliflower florets into small chunks and sauté them in olive oil until they’re browned and soft.
This method works well with ground beef or turkey too!
This method is one of my favorites because it’s so easy to prepare, the ingredients can be used up over several days (if you don’t eat it all at once), and it makes for a great weeknight meal!
Here’s how to do it:
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up any clumps with a wooden spoon as they cook.
- Stir in chopped onion, green bell pepper and garlic powder; cook until vegetables are tender and meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in ketchup, brown sugar, water and Worcestershire sauce until well combined.
- Pour mixture into 8×8-inch baking dish; top with cheese slices if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes or until heated through (if desired).
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Another one of the best ways to serve sloppy joes without bread is by making a sloppy joe pizza.
This can be done in several ways, but the most popular method is to make a crust out of almond flour or coconut flour, which are both low carb and keto-friendly.
You can then top it with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
You can also make a taco-style sloppy joe by using tortillas instead of a pizza crust.
Simply spread some sloppy joes over the tortilla, top with your favorite toppings (like cheese), and bake until cooked through.
For those who are looking for something more than just a sandwich but less than an actual meal, making a sloppy joe salad is perfect for those occasions when you just want something light and filling at the same time.
Simply mix together some ground beef with your favorite toppings and serve over your favorite salad greens for an easy dinner solution that will keep you full until tomorrow!
No matter how you choose to serve them, sloppy joes without bread are a delicious and easy way to enjoy a healthier version of this classic comfort food.
So, use this guide on how to serve sloppy joes without bread next time you’re in the mood for a delicious and healthy meal.
How to Serve Sloppy Joes without Bread (12 Easy Ways)
- Use Lettuce Leaves as A Wrap
- Serve Them on Top of A Bed of Rice or Quinoa
- Enjoy Them as Is, without Any Bread or Wraps at All
- Get Creative and Use Other Vegetables as Your Wraps
- Make a Sloppy Joe Bowl
- Use Sweet Potato Toasts or Sliced Avocado as Your Base
- Serve Them on Keto-Friendly Crostini or Mini Keto Pitas
- Use a Portobello Mushroom Cap as Your Bun
- Serve Them on a Bed of Cauliflower Rice
- Make a Sloppy Joe Casserole
- Make a Keto-Friendly Sloppy Joe Pizza
- Make a Sloppy Joe Salad
- Pick your favorite recipe from this list to make your keto-friendly sloppy joe meal.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy your food in no time!