Scalloped potatoes are always a great side dish for any meal, but pairing them with the right food can make or break your menu.
So what should you serve with scalloped potatoes?
Scalloped potatoes pair well with roasted chicken, ham steak, pork chops, or glazed salmon. You can also serve them alongside a green salad or steamed vegetables for a healthier side dish. For an extra indulgent side dish, try serving scalloped potatoes with roasted Brussels sprouts and crispy bacon.
Whether they’re classic American-style scalloped, French gratinéed, or au gratin – there’s just something irresistibly delicious about creamy, cheesy potatoes!
But to make sure every meal is complete and perfectly balanced in flavor and texture, finding savory side dishes that pair well with this favorite potato dish is essential.
Luckily we can help you find some of the tastiest sides for your next scalloped potato night!
Whether you need crowd-pleasing easy dinners for a weeknight gathering or elegant appetizers to impress at a special occasion — from roasted vegetables to chargrilled steaks — here are the fifteen best sides that go so well together.
It’s time to let everyone know exactly what goes best with scalloped potatoes!
- What Vegetables Go With Scalloped Potatoes? 15 Best Veggies
- Scalloped Potatoes Wine Pairing: Best Wines for Scalloped Potatoes
Why Consider Serving Side Dishes with Scalloped Potatoes?
- Scalloped potatoes are a rich and creamy dish that can be quite heavy on its own, so serving side dishes with them helps to lighten the meal. Side dishes such as salads, steamed vegetables, or grilled meats provide balance to the richness of the scalloped potatoes.
- Serving side dishes with scalloped potatoes also adds variety to your meal. You can choose sides that complement the flavors in your scalloped potatoes, such as roasted garlic green beans or a simple tomato salad with fresh herbs. This will help make your meal more interesting and flavorful for everyone at the table.
- Finally, adding side dishes gives you an opportunity to add more nutrition into your meal without compromising flavor or texture of the main dish – something that is especially important if you’re trying to feed picky eaters! For example, you could serve a colorful vegetable medley alongside your scalloped potatoes for added vitamins and minerals while still keeping it delicious and satisfying for all diners!
What To Serve With Scalloped Potatoes? 15 Best Side Dishes
Scalloped potatoes are a delicious and comforting side dish. But what should you serve with them?
Here are fifteen tasty sides that will perfectly complement your scalloped potatoes:
1. Honey Baked Ham
- What Is It? Honey Baked Ham is a popular dish that consists of a ham that has been cooked in a sweet and savory glaze. The glaze typically includes honey, brown sugar, mustard, and spices. The ham is then baked until it’s golden brown and the glaze caramelizes on top.
- Serving Ideas: Honey Baked Ham pairs well with scalloped potatoes as both dishes are rich and comforting. To complete the meal, serve with roasted vegetables such as Brussels sprouts or carrots for added color and flavor. For an extra special touch, add some fresh herbs to the vegetables before roasting them. You can also serve a side salad or steamed green beans to round out the meal.
2. Fried Pork Chops
- What Is It? Fried pork chops are a classic dish that is easy to make and can be served with a variety of sides. The pork chops are usually coated in breadcrumbs or flour before being fried in oil until golden brown. They can be served as an entrée, or cut into smaller pieces and used as an appetizer.
- Serving Ideas: Fried pork chops pair well with scalloped potatoes, mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, macaroni and cheese, coleslaw, green beans, cornbread stuffing, and biscuits. For a heartier meal you could also serve them with gravy or sautéed mushrooms. To add some extra flavor to the dish you could top the pork chops with a sauce such as barbecue sauce or honey mustard glaze.
3. Marry Me Rosemary Chicken
- What Is It? Marry Me Rosemary Chicken is a classic dish that combines chicken, rosemary, and white wine for a flavorful and comforting meal. The chicken is cooked in a creamy sauce with garlic, onions, and mushrooms before being topped with Parmesan cheese and fresh rosemary.
- Serving Ideas: Scalloped potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to Marry Me Rosemary Chicken. The creamy sauce of the chicken pairs well with the cheesy potatoes while the rosemary adds an herbal flavor to both dishes. Serve alongside steamed vegetables or a simple green salad for a complete meal.
4. Honey Garlic Glazed Salmon
- What Is It? Honey garlic glazed salmon is a delicious and easy to make dish. The salmon is marinated in a sweet and savory honey garlic sauce, then cooked until it’s perfectly flaky and tender. The result is a flavorful, juicy piece of fish that pairs well with many side dishes.
- Serving Ideas: Honey garlic glazed salmon pairs nicely with scalloped potatoes as the creamy texture of the potatoes complements the sweetness of the honey garlic sauce. Other sides that go well with this dish include roasted vegetables such as carrots or Brussels sprouts, steamed green beans, or a simple salad. For an extra special touch, serve your honey garlic glazed salmon over a bed of wild rice or quinoa for added texture and flavor.
5. Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- What Is It? Bacon wrapped asparagus is a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with scalloped potatoes. The combination of salty bacon and earthy asparagus creates a delicious flavor profile that complements the creamy, cheesy potatoes. To make this dish, simply wrap each piece of asparagus in a slice of bacon and bake until the bacon is crispy.
- Serving Ideas: Bacon wrapped asparagus can be served alongside scalloped potatoes for an easy weeknight dinner or dressed up for a special occasion. For added flavor, try brushing the bacon with honey or maple syrup before baking. You can also top the finished dish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or chopped herbs like parsley or chives. Serve it alongside roasted chicken, steak, pork chops, or fish for a complete meal.
- What Is It? Meatloaf is a classic comfort food dish made with ground beef, pork, or other meats mixed with vegetables and seasonings. The mixture is then formed into a loaf shape and baked in the oven until cooked through.
- Serving Ideas: Scalloped potatoes pair well with meatloaf for a hearty meal. Serve the two together with a side of steamed green beans or roasted Brussels sprouts for added nutrition. For an extra special touch, top the meatloaf with ketchup or barbecue sauce before baking to give it an extra boost of flavor. If you’re looking for something lighter, serve scalloped potatoes alongside grilled chicken or fish instead of meatloaf.
- What Is It? Sausage is a type of processed meat made from ground pork, beef, or other meats mixed with spices and seasonings. It can be served as links, patties, or crumbled.
- Serving Ideas: Sausage pairs perfectly with scalloped potatoes. Try serving it alongside the potatoes for a hearty meal. You can also add diced sausage to the potato mixture before baking for an extra layer of flavor. For a lighter option, try grilling Italian-style sausages and slicing them into thin rounds to serve over the top of your scalloped potatoes. If you’re looking for something more unique, try adding chorizo sausage to your scalloped potatoes for a spicy kick!
8. BBQ Ribs
- What Is It? BBQ ribs are a classic American dish that consists of pork ribs cooked in a sweet and tangy barbecue sauce. The ribs can be cooked on the grill, in the oven, or even slow-cooked in a crockpot.
- Serving Ideas: Scalloped potatoes pair perfectly with BBQ ribs for an easy and delicious meal. Serve them alongside some steamed vegetables like broccoli or green beans for added nutrition. For an extra special touch, top your scalloped potatoes with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese before baking. You can also serve your BBQ ribs with coleslaw or potato salad to complete the meal.
9. Sloppy Joes
- What Is It? Sloppy Joes are a classic American dish made with ground beef, onions, and a sweet-and-tangy tomato sauce. The mixture is served on hamburger buns or toast for an easy and delicious meal.
- Serving Ideas: Scalloped potatoes pair perfectly with Sloppy Joes because the creamy potatoes provide a nice contrast to the tangy sauce of the sandwich. Serve them together with a side salad or roasted vegetables for a complete meal. For an extra special touch, top your scalloped potatoes with some grated cheese before baking for added flavor and texture.
10. Sauteed Garlic Broccolini
- What Is It? Sauteed garlic broccolini is a simple and flavorful side dish that pairs perfectly with scalloped potatoes. Broccolini is a hybrid vegetable, similar to broccoli but with smaller florets and longer stalks. It has a mild flavor and can be cooked quickly in a skillet with garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Serving Ideas: Sauteed garlic broccolini makes an excellent accompaniment to scalloped potatoes. The creamy texture of the potatoes contrasts nicely with the crunchy texture of the broccolini. You can also serve this dish alongside roasted chicken or pork chops for a complete meal. For added flavor, top your sautéed garlic broccolini with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or chopped fresh herbs such as parsley or basil before serving.
11. Sauteed Green Beans
- What Is It? Sauteed green beans are a simple side dish that can be served with scalloped potatoes. The green beans are cooked in butter or oil until they are tender and lightly browned. They can be seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, herbs, or other spices to add flavor.
- Serving Ideas: Sauteed green beans pair well with scalloped potatoes as a side dish for any meal. Serve the two together for a classic combination of flavors and textures. For an extra touch of flavor, top the sautéed green beans with toasted almonds or crispy bacon bits before serving. You can also serve them alongside roasted chicken or pork chops for a complete meal.
12. Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- What Is It? Roasted Brussels sprouts are a delicious and nutritious side dish. They are small, green vegetables that look like mini cabbages and have a slightly sweet flavor when cooked. When roasted, they become tender on the inside with crispy edges.
- Serving Ideas: Roasted Brussels sprouts pair well with scalloped potatoes as both dishes are hearty and comforting. To make it a complete meal, add some grilled chicken or fish for protein. For an extra layer of flavor, top the potatoes with bacon bits or shredded cheese before baking. You can also serve them alongside other roasted vegetables such as carrots or parsnips for a colorful plate full of nutrition!
13. Pan-Seared Steak with Garlic Butter
- What Is It? Pan-seared steak with garlic butter is a classic dish that pairs perfectly with scalloped potatoes. The steak is cooked in a hot skillet until it’s browned and crispy on the outside, then finished off with a rich garlic butter sauce. The result is an incredibly flavorful and tender steak that will be sure to please any crowd.
- Serving Ideas: To complete the meal, serve pan-seared steak with garlic butter alongside scalloped potatoes and your favorite vegetable side dish. Roasted asparagus or green beans are great options for adding some color to the plate. For added flavor, top the steak with freshly chopped parsley or chives before serving. You can also add a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt to the potatoes for extra richness and creaminess.
14. Oven Fried Chicken
- What Is It? Oven fried chicken is a delicious and easy way to enjoy the taste of fried chicken without all the mess and hassle. The chicken is coated in a seasoned breadcrumb mixture, then baked in the oven until golden brown and crispy.
- Serving Ideas: Oven fried chicken pairs perfectly with scalloped potatoes for a comforting meal. Serve it alongside roasted vegetables or a simple green salad for added nutrition. For an extra special touch, top your scalloped potatoes with some shredded cheese before baking them in the oven. This will add even more flavor to your dish!
15. Garlic Bread
- What Is It? Garlic bread is a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with scalloped potatoes. It is made by brushing slices of Italian or French bread with garlic-infused butter and baking it in the oven until golden brown and crispy.
- Serving Ideas: To make garlic bread, start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice a loaf of Italian or French bread into 1/2 inch thick slices, then spread each slice with softened butter mixed with minced garlic, parsley, and salt. Place the slices on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm alongside your scalloped potatoes for an easy yet delicious meal!
In conclusion, scalloped potatoes are a delicious and comforting dish that can be served with a variety of side dishes.
From ham to steaks, there is something for everyone.
The best side dishes to serve with scalloped potatoes are ham, fried pork chops, rosemary chicken, salmon, bacon wrapped asparagus, meatloaf, sausage, BBQ ribs, sloppy joes, broccolini, sautéed green beans, roasted Brussels sprouts, and steak.
These side dishes are all flavorful and easy to prepare, and will make sure that your scalloped potato dinner is one to remember.
With these 13 sides, you’ll never run out of ideas for what to serve with scalloped potatoes.
What To Serve With Scalloped Potatoes? 15 Best Side Dishes
- Honey Baked Ham
- Fried Pork Chops
- Marry Me Rosemary Chicken
- Honey Garlic Glazed Salmon
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- BBQ Ribs
- Sloppy Joes
- Sauteed Garlic Broccolini
- Sauteed Green Beans
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Pan-Seared Steak with Garlic Butter
- Oven Fried Chicken
- Garlic Bread
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a side dish in 30 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.