Burritos are one of the most popular Mexican dishes around.
Whether you’re making a burrito bowl or wrapping it up in a tortilla, nothing beats the flavor of these delicious treats.
But what really makes a burrito stand out is the sauce.
From creamy to spicy and everything in between, there are so many options when it comes to sauces for your burrito.
In this article, I will share my top 10 favorite sauces for burritos that will take your dish to the next level!
So grab your ingredients and let’s get started!
Why Pair Burritos With A Sauce?
Pairing burritos with a sauce is an excellent way to add flavor and texture to the dish.
There are many different types of sauces that can be used, each offering its own unique set of flavors and textures.
Here are three reasons why pairing burritos with a sauce is beneficial:
- Sauces provide moisture – Burritos can often be dry, so adding a sauce helps to keep them moist and flavorful. The added moisture also helps bind all the ingredients together for easier eating.
- Sauces add flavor – A good sauce will bring out the natural flavors in the burrito while adding its own unique taste as well. This makes for a more enjoyable eating experience overall.
- Sauces add texture – Different sauces have different consistencies, from thick and creamy to thin and runny. This adds an interesting layer of texture that complements the other ingredients in the burrito nicely.
The 10 Best Sauces for Burritos
Burritos are a great way to enjoy Mexican flavors.
But without the right sauce, they can be quite dull.
That’s why it’s important to choose the right sauces for your burrito.
Here are ten delicious and flavorful sauces that will take your burrito to the next level:
1. Red Enchilada Sauce
Red enchilada sauce is a classic Mexican condiment that’s perfect for burritos.
It’s made with tomato paste, chili powder, all-purpose flour, black pepper, and canola oil.
The combination of flavors creates a rich and flavorful sauce that adds layers of flavor to your burrito.
Whether you use it as a topping or mix it in with the filling, red enchilada sauce will take your burrito from ordinary to extraordinary!
2. Onion Sauce
Onion sauce is a classic Mexican condiment, and it’s perfect for burritos.
The main ingredients are dark rye bread, chicken broth, butter, white vinegar, and white sugar.
It’s easy to make and full of flavor!
The combination of the sweet and savory flavors makes it irresistible.
Simply simmer together all the ingredients until they form a thick sauce.
Then pour it over your burrito for an extra burst of deliciousness!
3. Sour Cream Sauce
Sour cream sauce is a creamy, tangy condiment made from sour cream, mayonnaise, and other seasonings.
It’s often used as a topping for burritos or tacos but can also be used as a dip for chips or vegetables.
- To Make It: To make sour cream sauce, combine 1 cup of sour cream with 1/4 cup of mayonnaise in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. For extra flavor, add garlic powder or chopped fresh herbs such as parsley or cilantro.
- Common Uses: Sour cream sauce is most commonly served on top of burritos and tacos but can also be used as a dip for chips or vegetables. It can also be used to top off nachos, enchiladas, quesadillas, fajitas, and more!
4. Cheese Sauce
Cheese sauce is a creamy, cheesy condiment made from melted cheese and other ingredients such as butter, milk, cream, flour, and seasonings.
It can be used to top dishes like burritos or nachos or as a dip for vegetables or chips.
- To Make It: To make cheese sauce at home, start by melting butter in a pan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add some all-purpose flour and whisk until it forms a paste. Then slowly add milk while whisking continuously until the mixture thickens. Finally, stir in grated cheese of your choice (cheddar is most common) until it melts completely into the sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- Common Uses: Cheese sauce is commonly used as an accompaniment to Mexican dishes like burritos and tacos but can also be used on pasta dishes like macaroni and cheese or lasagna. It’s also great for dipping vegetables or chips into for added flavor!
5. Green Chile Sauce
Green chile sauce is a type of Mexican sauce made from green chiles, such as jalapeños or serranos.
It can also include other ingredients like onions, garlic, cilantro, and spices.
The sauce is usually cooked to bring out the flavors of the ingredients and thicken it up.
- Variations: There are many variations on green chile sauce depending on the region in which it’s made. In New Mexico, for example, they use roasted Hatch green chiles to make their version of the sauce. In Arizona, they often add tomatillos to give it a tangy flavor. Other variations may include different types of peppers or additional vegetables like carrots or potatoes.
- Common Uses: Green chile sauce is most commonly used as a condiment for burritos and tacos but can also be used as an ingredient in soups and stews or served over eggs for breakfast. It can also be used as a marinade for meats like chicken or pork before grilling or roasting them in the oven.
6. White Sauce
White sauce, also known as béchamel sauce, is a classic French sauce made from butter, flour, and milk.
It’s one of the five mother sauces in French cuisine and is used as a base for many other sauces.
- Creative Ideas: White sauce can be used to make creamy burrito fillings like chicken alfredo or macaroni and cheese. It can also be used to top burritos with a cheesy white queso dip or even as an enchilada sauce.
- Common Uses: White sauce is commonly used in dishes such as lasagna, macaroni and cheese, moussaka, creamed vegetables, fish pie, cauliflower cheese, croque-monsieur (a grilled ham and cheese sandwich), Welsh rarebit (a savory dish made with melted cheese on toast), and various soups.
7. Chipotle Sauce
Chipotle sauce is a spicy, smoky-flavored condiment made from chipotle peppers.
It is usually made with mayonnaise or sour cream as the base and then blended with other ingredients such as garlic, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and spices.
- Variations: There are many variations of chipotle sauce that can be created depending on the desired flavor profile. For example, some recipes call for adding honey to sweeten the sauce or adobo sauce to add more heat. Other variations include adding roasted red peppers for sweetness or smoked paprika for an extra smoky flavor.
- Common Uses: Chipotle sauce is commonly used as a condiment for tacos, burritos, quesadillas, nachos and other Mexican dishes. It can also be used as a dip for chips or vegetables and even added to sandwiches and burgers to give them an extra kick of flavor.
Guacamole is a Mexican dip or spread made from mashed avocados, lime juice, and seasonings.
It is typically served as an accompaniment to tacos, burritos, quesadillas, and other Mexican dishes.
- Variations: There are many variations of guacamole that include ingredients such as tomatoes, onions, garlic, jalapenos peppers, cilantro leaves, and even mangoes. Some versions also include sour cream or mayonnaise for added creaminess.
- Common Uses: Guacamole can be used as a dip for chips or vegetables; it can also be used as a topping for tacos and burritos. It can also be used in sandwiches and wraps to add flavor and texture.
Salsa is a type of sauce or dip made from tomatoes, onions, peppers, and other ingredients.
It is usually served as an accompaniment to Mexican dishes such as burritos, tacos, and enchiladas.
The word salsa comes from the Spanish word for sauce.
- Variations: There are many variations of salsa depending on the region it’s being made in. Some popular types include pico de gallo (a chunky tomato-based salsa), tomatillo salsa (made with green tomatoes), and mango salsa (made with mangoes).
- Common Uses: Salsa can be used as a condiment for tacos, burritos, nachos, quesadillas, and other Mexican dishes. It can also be used as a dip for chips or vegetables. Additionally, it can be added to soups or stews to add flavor and spice up the dish.
10. Pico de Gallo
Pico de gallo, also known as salsa fresca or salsa cruda, is a type of Mexican condiment made from chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapeños (or other chiles), lime juice and salt.
It is usually served raw and can be used as a dip for chips or tacos.
- Variations: There are many variations of pico de gallo that include different ingredients such as mangoes, avocados, pineapple or cucumbers. Some recipes also call for adding spices like cumin or oregano to the mix.
- Common Uses: Pico de gallo is commonly used in Mexican cuisine to top burritos and tacos. It can also be used as a topping for nachos or quesadillas. It can even be added to salads and soups for extra flavor and texture.
In conclusion, burritos are an incredibly versatile food and can be enjoyed with a variety of sauces.
The best sauces for burritos are red sauce, onion sauce, sour cream sauce, cheese sauce, green chile sauce, white sauce, chipotle sauce, guacamole, salsa, and pico de Gallo.
Each of these sauces adds a unique flavor and texture to your burrito, allowing you to customize your meal to your own taste.
From spicy chile sauces to creamy cheese sauces, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
So, the next time you make a burrito, don’t forget to add one of these delicious sauces to make it even more flavorful and enjoyable.
The 10 Best Sauces for Burritos
- Red Enchilada Sauce
- Onion Sauce
- Sour Cream Sauce
- Cheese Sauce
- Green Chile Sauce
- White Sauce
- Chipotle Sauce
- Pico de Gallo
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a sauce recipe in 30 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.