Do you love the creamy white sauce that comes with pasta?
If so, you’re not alone! White sauce is a classic favorite for many people, and it goes well on almost any kind of pasta.
But did you know that some types of pasta are better suited for white sauce than others?
It’s true – certain shapes and textures can help bring out the flavor of your dish even more.
The best pasta for white sauce is a long, thin noodle such as spaghetti or linguine. These types of noodles are able to absorb the creamy flavor of the sauce and provide an enjoyable texture. You can also use penne, rigatoni, or macaroni for a heartier dish.
In this article, I will discuss five kinds of pasta that work best with white sauce.
From penne to macaroni, each type has its own unique benefits when combined with this creamy condiment.
Why Even Pair Pasta with White Sauce?
Pasta and white sauce is a classic combination that has been enjoyed for many years.
The pairing of these two ingredients creates a delicious, creamy dish that can be served as an appetizer or main course.
White sauces are typically made with butter, flour, milk, and seasonings such as garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper.
This type of sauce is known as a béchamel sauce in French cuisine.
The richness of the white sauce helps to balance out the starchiness of the pasta while adding flavor and texture to the dish.
The creaminess also helps to coat each strand of pasta evenly so that every bite is flavorful and satisfying.
Additionally, white sauces are very versatile; they can be used with any type of pasta from spaghetti to macaroni to ravioli.
They can also be flavored with herbs like parsley or basil for added depth or spiced up with red pepper flakes for some heat.
White sauces pair especially well with mild-flavored pastas like penne or fettuccine because they don’t overpower them but rather enhance their subtle flavors without being too heavy on the palate.
So if you’re looking for an easy yet tasty way to enjoy your favorite pasta dishes then try pairing it with a creamy white sauce!
The 5 Best Kinds of Pasta for White Sauce
White sauce is a classic way to dress up your pasta dishes, but not all types of pasta will work with it.
If you’re looking for the perfect type of pasta for white sauce dishes, here are five great options:
Linguine is a type of pasta that originated in Italy.
It is made from durum wheat flour and water, and it has a long, thin shape similar to spaghetti but with flatter edges.
The name linguine comes from the Italian word for “little tongues” because of its shape.
- Pros: Linguine pairs well with white sauces like Alfredo or cream-based sauces due to its flat surface area which allows the sauce to cling better than other pastas. This makes it an ideal choice for dishes like Fettuccine Alfredo or Creamy Garlic Shrimp Linguine. Additionally, linguine can be used in cold salads as well as hot dishes; it’s also great for soups and casseroles.
- Other Dishes Using This Pasta: In addition to white sauce dishes, linguine can be used in many other recipes such as pesto pasta salad, seafood pasta primavera, carbonara, and even macaroni and cheese! You can also use linguine in stir-fry dishes or add it to soups for extra texture and flavor.
Fettuccine is a type of pasta that originated in Italy.
It is made from flat, thick noodles that are cut into long strips and have a slightly curved shape.
The name comes from the Italian word for “little ribbons.” Fettuccine can be served with a variety of sauces, including white sauce, tomato sauce, pesto, or cream sauce.
- Pros: Fettuccine is an excellent choice when making white sauce because it has enough surface area to hold onto the creamy goodness without becoming soggy or mushy. The texture also helps to bring out the flavor of the cheese and herbs used in the dish. Additionally, fettuccine cooks quickly so you don’t have to wait too long before enjoying your meal!
- Other Dishes Using This Pasta: Fettuccine can be used in many other dishes besides white sauce. It pairs well with seafood such as shrimp or scallops and can also be used in casseroles and soups. You can even use it as part of a cold salad by adding some vegetables and dressing for a light summer meal!
Penne is a type of pasta that is shaped like tubes or cylinders, with ridges on the outside.
It is traditionally made from durum wheat flour and water, but can also be found in whole wheat varieties.
Penne comes in different sizes and shapes, including penne rigate (with ridges) and penne lisce (without ridges).
- Penne pairs well with creamy sauces such as Alfredo sauce or pesto sauce. The shape of the pasta helps to hold onto the sauce better than other types of pasta, making it a great choice for dishes that require a lot of flavor. Additionally, because penne has ridges on its surface, it absorbs more flavors from the ingredients used in your dish.
- Other Dishes Using This Pasta: Penne can also be used to make baked dishes such as lasagna or macaroni and cheese. It can also be served cold in salads or tossed with vegetables for an easy side dish. For those looking for something heartier, try adding some sausage or chicken to your penne dish for added protein.
Farfalle is a type of pasta that is shaped like small bow ties or butterflies.
It’s also known as bow-tie pasta, and it comes in both large and small sizes.
The name farfalle means “butterflies” in Italian, which explains the shape of this popular pasta.
- Farfalle is a great choice for white sauces because its shape helps to hold onto the sauce better than other types of pasta. It can be used in many different dishes such as salads, soups, casseroles, and baked dishes. It pairs well with creamy sauces like Alfredo or pesto sauce, as well as tomato-based sauces like marinara or arrabbiata sauce.
- Other Dishes Using This Pasta: Farfalle can also be used to make cold salads by combining it with vegetables and herbs; it’s especially good when paired with grilled vegetables or roasted tomatoes. You can also use farfalle to make macaroni and cheese by adding some cheese sauce to cooked farfalle noodles; this dish makes an excellent side dish for any meal! Finally, you can use farfalle to make a simple yet delicious one-pot dinner by adding some cooked chicken or sausage along with your favorite vegetables and seasonings for an easy weeknight meal.
Spaghetti is a type of pasta that is long and thin, usually made from durum wheat.
It’s one of the most popular types of pasta in the world, and it can be found in many different shapes and sizes.
Spaghetti is often served with tomato sauce or other sauces such as pesto, carbonara, or Bolognese.
- Pros: Spaghetti is an incredibly versatile food; it can be used in a variety of dishes ranging from simple to complex. It’s also easy to prepare—just boil some water and add the spaghetti! Plus, it cooks quickly so you don’t have to wait too long for dinner. And if you’re looking for a healthier option than white sauce, try adding some olive oil or garlic instead for flavor.
- Other Dishes Using This Pasta: In addition to being served with traditional Italian sauces like marinara or Alfredo sauce, spaghetti can also be used in casseroles, soups, salads, stir-fries, and even desserts! For example, you could make a creamy mushroom spaghetti bake by combining cooked mushrooms with cream cheese and Parmesan cheese before baking it all together with cooked spaghetti noodles. Or try making an Asian-inspired cold noodle salad by tossing cooked spaghetti noodles with vegetables like bell peppers and cucumbers along with sesame oil and soy sauce for flavor.
In conclusion, when it comes to white sauce and pasta, there are many different options to choose from.
The best kinds of pasta to pair with white sauce are linguine, fettuccine, penne, farfalle, and spaghetti. Each of these types of pasta has a unique texture and flavor that pairs well with the creamy, rich flavors of white sauce.
No matter what type of pasta you choose, white sauce is sure to bring a delicious and comforting meal to your table.
Experiment with different combinations of pasta and sauce to find the perfect match for your taste.
The 5 Best Kinds of Pasta for White Sauce
- Pick your favorite kind of pasta from this list to serve with white sauce.
- Prepare the rest of your meal, and enjoy!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.