Cauliflower cheese is a classic British side dish that can be served with almost anything.
It’s creamy, cheesy and comforting – the perfect accompaniment to your main course.
But what should you serve alongside it?
The perfect accompaniments to cauliflower cheese are roasted vegetables, steamed green beans, mashed potatoes, and a fresh garden salad. You can also try adding crispy bacon bits or chopped chives for an extra flavor boost. For a heartier side dish, serve with grilled sausages or fish fillets.
The possibilities are endless!
In this article, I will explore 21 of the best side dishes for cauliflower cheese so that you can find the perfect pairing for your meal.
Why Consider Serving Side Dishes with Cauliflower Cheese?
- Serving a side dish alongside cauliflower cheese can add texture and flavor to the meal. For example, roasted potatoes or sweet potato wedges provide a crunchy contrast to the creamy sauce of the cauliflower cheese. Additionally, adding vegetables such as steamed broccoli or green beans adds color and nutrition to the plate while providing an additional layer of flavor that complements the cheesy sauce.
- A side dish can help balance out a meal by providing different nutrients than those found in cauliflower cheese alone. For instance, serving quinoa with your cauliflower cheese provides protein and fiber that are not present in this dish on its own. This helps make it more filling and nutritious for everyone at the table!
- A side dish can also be used to customize your meal according to individual tastes or dietary needs. For example, if someone is vegan they could opt for roasted vegetables instead of meat-based sides like sausages or bacon bits; if someone is gluten-free they could choose rice over breadcrumbs; and so on! By offering a variety of sides you can ensure everyone has something delicious to enjoy with their cauliflower cheese no matter what their preferences may be!
What To Serve With Cauliflower Cheese – 21 Best Side Dishes
Cauliflower cheese is a delicious and nutritious dish, but it can be tricky to know what side dishes to serve with it.
To help you out, here we look at twenty-one of the best side dishes that go perfectly with cauliflower cheese:
- What Is It? Gammon steaks are a type of pork steak made from the hind leg of a pig. The meat is cured with salt and spices, giving it a unique flavor. It is usually served grilled or fried and can be accompanied by various side dishes such as mashed potatoes, vegetables, or cauliflower cheese.
- How To Make It: To make gammon steaks, start by seasoning the meat with salt and pepper. Heat some oil in a pan over medium-high heat and add the steaks to the pan. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through. Serve hot with your favorite sides!
Read Also: What to Serve with Gammon (32 Best Sides)
2. Tomato salad
- What Is It? Tomato salad is a classic British side dish that can be served with almost anything. It consists of tomatoes, onions, and other vegetables tossed in a vinaigrette dressing. The tomatoes are usually cut into wedges or slices and the onions are diced or sliced thin. Other vegetables such as cucumbers, bell peppers, and celery may also be added to the salad for extra flavor and texture.
- How To Make It: To make tomato salad, start by washing and slicing the tomatoes into wedges or slices. Then dice or slice the onion thinly. Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl and toss with your favorite vinaigrette dressing until everything is evenly coated. Finally, add any additional vegetables you would like to include in your salad such as cucumbers, bell peppers, celery, etc., then season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- What Is It? Jacket potato is a classic British side dish that consists of a baked potato topped with melted cheese and other ingredients such as bacon, onions, or mushrooms. The potatoes are usually served hot and can be eaten as a meal on their own or as an accompaniment to other dishes.
- How To Make It: To make jacket potato, start by preheating the oven to 400°F (200°C). Then, wash and dry two large baking potatoes before pricking them several times with a fork. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until they are tender when pierced with a knife. Once cooked, cut each potato in half lengthwise and scoop out some of the flesh from each half into a bowl. Mash the scooped-out flesh together with butter, salt, pepper, grated cheese, chopped onion or bacon bits if desired. Spoon this mixture back into the hollowed-out halves of the potatoes before topping them off with more grated cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes until golden brown and serve hot!
- What Is It? Roasted root vegetable medley is a classic British side dish that combines roasted root vegetables with cheese and herbs. The vegetables are usually potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and onions, but other root vegetables can be added as well. The vegetables are tossed in oil and herbs before being roasted until golden brown. Once cooked, the vegetables are topped with grated cheese for a delicious side dish.
- How To Make It: Begin by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C). Peel and chop the potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and onions into bite-sized pieces. Place them in a large bowl and toss with olive oil and your favorite herbs such as rosemary or thyme. Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Roast for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and top with grated cheese of your choice (cheddar works well). Return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Serve warm alongside your favorite main course!
Bangers and mash is a classic British dish consisting of sausages served with mashed potatoes and onion gravy.
The sausages, or bangers, are usually made from pork or beef and are cooked in a pan until they are browned on the outside.
The mashed potatoes can be flavored with butter, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, or other seasonings.
Onion gravy is made by cooking onions in butter until they are soft and then adding flour to make a roux before adding stock and seasoning to taste.
- What Is It? Crunchy green salad is a classic British side dish that can be served with almost anything. It consists of cooked cauliflower florets, cheese sauce, and crunchy breadcrumbs. The combination of the creamy cheese sauce and the crunchy topping makes this dish irresistible!
- How To Make It: Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C). Then, prepare the cauliflower by cutting it into small florets and boiling them in salted water for about 5 minutes until they are tender but still have some bite. Drain the cauliflower and transfer it to an oven-safe baking dish. In a separate bowl, mix together grated cheddar cheese, cream or milk, butter, flour, mustard powder, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture over the cauliflower florets in the baking dish and top with breadcrumbs. Bake for 25 minutes until golden brown on top. Serve hot as a side dish or as part of a main meal!
7. Roast beef
- What Is It? Roast beef is a classic British side dish that consists of roasted cauliflower, cheese sauce, and breadcrumbs. The cauliflower is usually cut into florets and cooked in the oven until golden brown. The cheese sauce is made with cheddar or other types of cheese and then poured over the top of the cauliflower before it’s baked. Finally, breadcrumbs are sprinkled on top for added crunch.
- How To Make It: To make roast beef, preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Cut one head of cauliflower into florets and place them in a baking dish. In a separate bowl, mix together 1 cup (240 ml) of grated cheddar cheese with 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of butter and 1/4 cup (60 ml) of milk. Pour this mixture over the cauliflower florets and sprinkle with 1/2 cup (120 g) of breadcrumbs. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Serve warm as a side dish to accompany roast beef or any other main course meal!
- What Is It? Roast chicken is a classic British dish that consists of a whole chicken roasted in the oven. The bird is usually seasoned with herbs and spices, then cooked until it’s golden brown and juicy.
- How To Make It: To make roast chicken, start by preheating your oven to 375°F (190°C). Then season the inside and outside of the bird with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, thyme, rosemary or any other desired herbs and spices. Place the chicken on a roasting pan lined with foil or parchment paper. Roast for 1 hour 15 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165°F (74°C). Let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Serve alongside cauliflower cheese for a delicious meal!
- What Is It? Braised savoy cabbage is a classic British side dish that can be served with almost anything. It consists of shredded savoy cabbage cooked in butter and stock, then finished with cream and cheese. The result is a creamy, cheesy vegetable dish that pairs perfectly with roasted meats or fish.
- How To Make It: Begin by melting butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shredded savoy cabbage and cook for about 5 minutes until it begins to soften. Pour in chicken or vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to low, cooking for 10-15 minutes until the cabbage is tender. Uncover the pan and stir in heavy cream and grated cheese; season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for an additional 5 minutes until everything is heated through before serving warm alongside your favorite main course!
- What Is It? Korean fried chicken is a popular dish in Korea that consists of deep-fried chicken pieces coated with a sweet and spicy sauce. The chicken is usually marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and other spices before being double-fried for extra crispiness.
- How To Make It: To make Korean fried chicken at home, start by marinating the chicken pieces in a mixture of soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and other spices. Then coat the pieces with flour or cornstarch and deep fry them until golden brown. Finally, toss the cooked chicken in a sweet and spicy sauce made from gochujang (Korean chili paste), honey or sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper. Serve the fried chicken with cauliflower cheese for an easy yet delicious meal!
Read Also: 10 Best Sauces for Korean Fried Chicken
- What Is It? Pan seared salmon with garlic butter is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that pairs perfectly with cauliflower cheese. The salmon is pan seared in a hot skillet until it’s golden brown and crispy on the outside, while still being juicy and tender on the inside. The garlic butter sauce adds an extra layer of flavor to the fish, making it even more irresistible.
- How To Make It: Begin by heating a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add some oil or butter to the pan and let it get hot before adding your salmon fillets skin side down. Cook for 3 minutes, then flip them over and cook for another 2 minutes or until they are cooked through. Remove from heat and set aside. In a small bowl, mix together melted butter, minced garlic, lemon juice, parsley, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes (optional). Pour this mixture over the cooked salmon fillets and serve immediately with cauliflower cheese as a side dish!
- What Is It? Mushrooms bourguignon is a classic French dish made with mushrooms, onions, garlic, and red wine. The mushrooms are cooked in a rich sauce of butter, herbs, and spices until they are tender and flavorful. The dish is usually served over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
- How To Make It: Begin by sautéing the mushrooms in butter until golden brown. Add the onions and garlic to the pan and cook for an additional few minutes. Pour in the red wine and bring to a simmer before adding herbs such as thyme, bay leaves, parsley, rosemary, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Simmer for about 10 minutes before stirring in some cream or crème fraîche to thicken the sauce. Serve over mashed potatoes or egg noodles with cauliflower cheese on the side for a delicious meal!
- What Is It? Broccoli rabe, also known as rapini, is a leafy green vegetable that is related to both broccoli and turnips. It has a slightly bitter flavor and crunchy texture that pairs well with creamy dishes like cauliflower cheese.
- How To Make It: Sauteed broccoli rabe is an easy side dish that can be made in just minutes. Start by heating some olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli rabe and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the leaves are wilted and tender. Serve alongside your favorite cheesy dish!
- What Is It? Meatloaf is a classic comfort food dish made with ground beef, pork, or turkey mixed with breadcrumbs and seasonings. The mixture is then formed into a loaf shape and baked in the oven until cooked through.
- How To Make It: To make meatloaf, start by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C). Then mix together 1 lb (450 g) of ground beef, pork, or turkey with 1 cup (90 g) of breadcrumbs, 1 egg, ½ cup (120 ml) of milk, 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of Worcestershire sauce, and any desired seasonings. Once everything is combined well, form the mixture into a loaf shape on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour until the internal temperature reaches 160°F (71°C). Serve warm alongside cauliflower cheese for a delicious meal!
What Is It?
Italian-stuffed cabbage rolls are a classic Italian dish made with savoy cabbage leaves stuffed with a mixture of ground beef, pork, and veal.
The filling is seasoned with garlic, oregano, parsley, and Parmesan cheese before being rolled up in the cabbage leaves and baked in a tomato sauce.
How To Make It
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Then prepare the filling by combining the ground beef, pork, veal, garlic, oregano, parsley and Parmesan cheese in a bowl.
- Mix until everything is well combined.
- Take one savoy cabbage leaf at a time and place it on a cutting board.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the meat mixture onto the center of each leaf.
- Fold over one side of the leaf to cover half of the filling then fold over the other side to completely enclose it.
- Secure each roll with toothpicks if necessary.
- Place all of the rolls into an oven-safe baking dish then pour tomato sauce over them evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until cooked through and golden brown on top.
- Serve hot alongside cauliflower cheese for an easy yet delicious meal!
- What Is It? Garlic bread is a classic side dish. It’s made by spreading butter or olive oil on slices of Italian-style bread, then sprinkling them with garlic powder and herbs. The bread is then toasted until golden brown and crispy.
- How To Make It: To make homemade garlic bread, start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice a loaf of Italian-style bread into 1/2 inch thick slices and spread each slice with softened butter or olive oil. Sprinkle the slices generously with garlic powder, dried oregano, parsley flakes, and salt. Place the slices on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Serve warm alongside your favorite cauliflower cheese dish!
What Is It?
Shaved brussel sprout salad is a simple and delicious side dish.
This salad consists of thinly sliced brussel sprouts, tossed in a light vinaigrette dressing and topped with toasted almonds for crunch.
How To Make It
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Then, wash and trim the ends off of one pound of brussel sprouts.
- Using a mandoline or sharp knife, slice the brussel sprouts as thin as possible.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes until lightly browned and crispy.
- Meanwhile, make the vinaigrette by whisking together 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1 minced garlic clove, salt & pepper to taste.
- Once the brussel sprouts are done roasting remove from oven and transfer to a large bowl.
- Pour over the vinaigrette dressing and toss to combine then top with 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds before serving alongside your favorite cauliflower cheese dish!
18. Baked potatoes
What Is It? Baked potatoes are a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with cauliflower cheese. They are simply potatoes that have been baked in the oven until they are soft and fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside.
How To Make It: To make baked potatoes, preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Wash and dry four medium-sized potatoes, then prick them all over with a fork. Rub each potato with olive oil or melted butter, then sprinkle them generously with salt. Place the potatoes directly onto an oven rack and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until they are tender when pierced with a fork. Serve hot!
What Is It?
Southern baked beans is a classic side dish that combines navy beans, bacon, and a sweet-and-savory sauce.
The combination of ingredients creates a rich and flavorful dish that pairs well with grilled meats or as part of a larger meal.
How To Make It
- Begin by soaking the navy beans overnight in cold water.
- Drain the beans and transfer them to a large pot.
- Cover with fresh water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a skillet until crisp; remove from pan and set aside on paper towels to drain.
- In the same skillet, sauté onions until softened; add garlic and cook for an additional minute before adding tomato paste, brown sugar, molasses, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, smoked paprika, salt & pepper; stir until combined then add cooked bacon back into pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Transfer drained beans into an ovenproof baking dish; pour bacon mixture over top of beans then stir gently to combine all ingredients together evenly.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes or until bubbly around edges; serve warm alongside your favorite main course!
20. Bangers and mash
- What Is It? Bangers and mash is a traditional British dish consisting of sausages, mashed potatoes, and gravy. The sausages are usually pork or beef, but can also be made from other meats such as lamb or turkey. The mashed potatoes are typically served with butter and milk for added flavor.
- How To Make It: To make bangers and mash, start by cooking the sausages in a skillet over medium heat until they’re browned on both sides. Then, transfer them to an oven-safe dish and bake at 350°F for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, boil some potatoes in salted water until they’re tender enough to mash. Once the potatoes are done cooking, drain them and add butter, milk, salt, pepper, and any other desired seasonings before mashing them together with a potato masher or fork. Finally, serve the sausages over the mashed potatoes with your favorite gravy poured over top!
21. Watercress salad
- What Is It? Watercress salad is a light and refreshing side dish that pairs well with many main courses. It’s made from fresh watercress, which is a leafy green vegetable with a slightly peppery flavor. The leaves are usually combined with other ingredients such as tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, and herbs to create a flavorful and nutritious salad.
- How To Make It: To make watercress salad, start by washing the watercress thoroughly in cold running water. Then cut off any tough stems and discard them. Next, combine the washed leaves with diced tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, garlic cloves (optional), olive oil, lemon juice or vinegar of your choice for dressing. Finally add salt and pepper to taste before serving chilled or at room temperature.
What vegetarian side dish to serve with cauliflower cheese?
Cauliflower cheese pairs best with roasted vegetables, such as broccoli, carrots, and squash. You could also serve it with a bean salad or a quinoa dish for added protein. For a lighter side dish option, try serving steamed greens like kale or spinach.
What fish goes with cauliflower cheese?
Fish is an excellent addition to cauliflower cheese. Salmon, cod, and haddock are all great choices as they pair well with the creamy sauce and mild flavor of cauliflower. If you prefer a more delicate fish, go for trout or whitefish.
What meat goes well with cauliflower cheese?
Cauliflower cheese goes great with chicken, ham, or bacon. You can also pair it with other vegetables like broccoli, asparagus, and mushrooms. For a heartier meal, try serving it with steak or even fish.
What protein to serve with cauliflower?
A great protein to serve with cauliflower is chicken. Try roasted or grilled chicken for a delicious and nutritious meal. Other good options include pork chops, fish, shrimp, steak, tempeh, tofu, and eggs. For a vegetarian option, choose beans such as black beans or chickpeas.
Is cauliflower cheese a meal or a side?
Cauliflower cheese is usually served as a side dish, but it can also be the main course for a vegetarian meal. It’s often served alongside roasted vegetables, steamed greens, or mashed potatoes. The creamy cheese sauce and earthy cauliflower make for a delicious combination.
Can you eat cauliflower cheese on its own?
Yes, cauliflower cheese can be eaten on its own. It is a great comfort food and makes for a satisfying meal when served with crusty bread or a side salad. If you want to add extra flavor, try adding fresh herbs like thyme or rosemary.
In conclusion, cauliflower cheese is a delicious and comforting dish that pairs well with a variety of side dishes.
The best side dishes to serve with cauliflower cheese are gammon steaks, tomato salad, jacket potato, sausage and mash, a crunchy green salad, roast beef, roast chicken, braised savoy cabbage, Korean fried chicken, pan-seared salmon, mushrooms bourguignon, and sautéed broccoli rabe.
These sides are all flavorful and diverse, and will ensure that your cauliflower cheese dinner is a hit. With these 12 side dishes, you’ll never run out of ideas for what to serve with cauliflower cheese.
21 Best Sides For Cauliflower Cheese
- Gammon steaks
- Tomato salad
- Jacket potato
- Roasted Root Vegetable Medley
- Bangers and Mash (Sausage with Onion Gravy)
- Crunchy green salad
- Roast beef
- Roast chicken
- Braised savoy cabbage
- Korean fried chicken
- Pan Seared Salmon with Garlic Butter
- Mushrooms bourguignon
- Sauteed broccoli rabe
- Italian-stuffed cabbage rolls
- Homemade garlic bread
- Shaved brussel sprout salad
- Baked potatoes
- Southern baked beans
- Bangers and mash
- Watercress salad
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a side dish in 30 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.