Are you looking for the perfect side dish to serve with your bangers and mash?
Bangers and mash is a classic British meal that consists of sausages (“bangers”) served on top of creamy mashed potatoes.
It is a hearty, comforting dish that requires few ingredients but packs plenty of flavor.
This traditional British dish can be served with a variety of sides, ranging from simple vegetables to more complex dishes.
To help you decide what to serve with your bangers and mash, here are 13 delicious side dishes that will take this classic meal to the next level!
Why Consider Serving Side Dishes with Bangers and Mash?
Serving side dishes with bangers and mash is a great way to add variety, flavor, and texture to the meal.
- First, adding vegetables such as roasted Brussels sprouts or steamed green beans can provide a healthy balance of vitamins and minerals that are essential for good health.
- Second, serving sides like mashed potatoes or macaroni and cheese can help round out the meal by providing additional carbohydrates for energy.
- Finally, offering condiments such as ketchup or mustard can give diners an opportunity to customize their plate according to their own tastes.
By considering these options when planning your next bangers and mash dinner, you’ll be sure to create a delicious meal that everyone will enjoy!
What To Serve With Bangers and Mash – 13 Best Side Dishes
Bangers and mash is a classic British dish that can be enjoyed year-round.
The key to making the dish truly delicious is finding the right side dishes to pair with it.
Here are 13 options for tasty sides that will perfectly complement your bangers and mash:
- What Is It? Caramelized onions are a classic side dish that adds sweetness and depth of flavor to any meal. They are made by slowly cooking sliced onions in butter or oil until they become golden brown and sweet. The result is a delicious, savory topping for bangers and mash, burgers, sandwiches, salads, and more.
- How To Make It: To make caramelized onions, start by slicing the onions into thin rings. Heat butter or oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion slices to the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until they begin to soften. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking for another 15-20 minutes until the onions are golden brown and caramelized. Serve warm as a topping on your favorite dishes!
- What Is It? Red wine gravy is a classic British dish that combines the flavors of red wine and beef stock to create a rich, flavorful sauce. The gravy is usually served over mashed potatoes and sausages (known as bangers and mash) but can also be used in other dishes such as shepherd’s pie or steak and kidney pie.
- How To Make It: To make red wine gravy, start by heating some butter in a pan until it melts. Add diced onions and cook until they are soft. Then add some flour to the pan and stir for about two minutes before adding beef stock, red wine, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, garlic powder, thyme leaves, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Simmer the mixture for about 10 minutes before straining it through a sieve into a bowl. Serve the gravy over mashed potatoes with your favorite sausages or use it in other recipes as desired.
- What Is It? Minted mushy peas is a classic British side dish that pairs perfectly with bangers and mash. The dish consists of cooked, mashed peas flavored with butter, mint, and salt. It’s a simple yet flavorful accompaniment to the savory sausages and creamy mashed potatoes.
- How To Make It: To make minted mushy peas, start by bringing a pot of salted water to a boil. Add in the frozen or fresh peas and cook until tender. Drain the cooked peas and return them to the pot over low heat. Mash the peas with a potato masher or fork until they reach your desired consistency. Stir in butter, chopped fresh mint leaves, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve warm alongside your favorite bangers and mash meal!
- What Is It? Braised red cabbage is a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with bangers and mash. This simple yet flavorful dish consists of shredded red cabbage cooked in butter, onions, and spices until it’s tender and sweet. The result is a delicious accompaniment to any meal.
- How To Make It: Start by melting some butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Then add the garlic, bay leaves, cloves, allspice berries, nutmeg, sugar, salt and pepper to taste. Stir everything together before adding the shredded red cabbage. Cook for 10 minutes or so until the cabbage has softened but still retains its shape. Finally stir in some apple cider vinegar for an extra kick of flavor before serving alongside your bangers and mash!
- What Is It? Honey glazed carrots and parsnips is a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with bangers and mash. The sweet honey glaze adds an extra layer of flavor to the earthy vegetables, making them even more delicious. This dish is easy to make and can be served as a side or as part of a larger meal.
- How To Make It: Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel and cut the carrots and parsnips into 1-inch pieces, then place them in a baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme leaves, rosemary leaves, and honey. Toss everything together until it’s evenly coated in the seasonings and honey glaze. Bake for 25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork. Serve warm alongside your favorite bangers and mash recipe!
- What Is It? Creamed leeks is a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with bangers and mash. This creamy, comforting dish consists of sautéed leeks in a rich cream sauce. The leeks are cooked until they are tender and the sauce is thickened with butter and flour.
- How To Make It: Begin by melting butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced leeks to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Sprinkle the flour over the top of the leeks and stir to combine. Pour in the cream or milk and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving alongside your favorite bangers and mash meal!
- What Is It? Cauliflower cheese is a classic British dish made with boiled cauliflower, cheese sauce, and breadcrumbs. The dish is usually served as a side but can also be enjoyed as a main course. It’s an easy-to-make comfort food that pairs well with other traditional British dishes such as bangers and mash or fish and chips.
- How To Make It: To make cauliflower cheese, start by boiling the cauliflower in salted water until it’s tender. Then drain the cauliflower and transfer it to an ovenproof dish. Next, make the cheese sauce by melting butter in a pan over medium heat before adding flour to form a roux. Gradually add milk while stirring continuously until you have a thick sauce. Finally, stir in grated cheddar cheese and season with salt and pepper before pouring the sauce over the cooked cauliflower. Top with breadcrumbs and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F (175°C).
8. Crusty bread
- What Is It? Crusty bread is a type of bread that has a hard, crunchy exterior and a soft, chewy interior. The crust is created by baking the dough at high temperatures for an extended period of time. This causes the surface of the loaf to become dry and crisp while the inside remains moist and flavorful.
- How To Make It: Making crusty bread requires patience and practice. Start by mixing together flour, yeast, salt, sugar, water, and oil in a bowl until it forms a sticky dough. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 10 minutes or until it becomes smooth and elastic. Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap or damp cloth; let rise for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size. Punch down the dough to remove air bubbles then shape into loaves or rolls; place on greased baking sheets. Cover with plastic wrap or damp cloth; let rise again for 30 minutes before baking at 375°F (190°C) for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Allow to cool completely before slicing into thick slices to enjoy!
- What Is It? Yorkshire pudding is a traditional British dish made from batter and served with roast beef. The batter is made from eggs, flour, and milk or water, and it is cooked in hot fat until it puffs up into a light, golden-brown pastry. It can be served as an accompaniment to the main course or as a dessert with jam or cream.
- How To Make It: Start by preheating your oven to 425°F (220°C). Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with butter or oil. In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 2 eggs, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1 cup of milk until smooth. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes until golden brown and puffed up. Serve warm with your favorite bangers and mash meal!
10. Baked beans
- What Is It? Baked beans are a classic British dish made with navy beans, bacon, and tomato sauce. The ingredients are cooked together in the oven until they form a thick, flavorful sauce. This dish is often served as part of a traditional “bangers and mash” meal, which also includes sausages and mashed potatoes.
- How To Make It: To make baked beans from scratch, start by soaking dried navy beans overnight in cold water. Then drain the beans and transfer them to an oven-safe pot or baking dish. Add diced bacon, chopped onion, garlic cloves, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, mustard powder, salt and pepper to taste. Pour enough water over the mixture so that it covers the top of the beans by about 1 inch (2 cm). Cover with foil or a lid and bake at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour 15 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed into the beans. Serve hot with your favorite bangers and mash meal!
11. Grilled tomatoes
- What Is It? Grilled tomatoes are a delicious way to upgrade your bangers and mash meal. This dish is made by slicing tomatoes in half, brushing them with olive oil, and grilling them until they are lightly charred. The result is a smoky, sweet flavor that pairs perfectly with the savory sausages and creamy mashed potatoes.
- How To Make It: To make grilled tomatoes for your bangers and mash meal, start by preheating your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise and brush each side with olive oil. Place the tomato halves on the hot grill or pan cut-side down and cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly charred. Flip over and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until softened but still firm. Serve alongside your favorite sausages and mashed potatoes for a delicious meal!
- What Is It? Coriander sweetcorn fritters are a delicious twist on the classic bangers and mash meal. These savory fritters are made with fresh corn, coriander, and spices for an extra kick of flavor. They’re easy to make and can be served as a side dish or as part of a main course.
- How To Make It: To make coriander sweetcorn fritters, start by combining 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro), and 1 cup of cooked corn kernels in a bowl. In another bowl whisk together one egg and ¾ cup milk until combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Heat some oil in a large skillet over medium heat then drop spoonfuls of batter into the hot oil. Fry for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown then transfer to paper towels to drain any excess oil before serving warm with your favorite condiments such as sour cream or salsa!
13. Spaghetti hoops
- What Is It? Spaghetti hoops is a classic British dish that consists of spaghetti in tomato sauce, served with sausages. The sausages are usually fried and then added to the tomato sauce before being served over the spaghetti. This dish is often referred to as bangers and mash, but it can also be called spaghetti hoops.
- How To Make It: To make this delicious meal, start by frying your sausages until they are cooked through. Once they are done, set them aside and begin making your tomato sauce. In a large pot, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat and add garlic, onion, bell pepper, oregano, basil and salt & pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes until vegetables are softened. Add canned tomatoes (crushed or diced) and simmer for 15 minutes until thickened slightly. Add the cooked sausages back into the pot and stir everything together. Finally cook your spaghetti according to package instructions in salted boiling water until al dente (about 8-10 minutes). Drain the pasta when done cooking and combine with the sausage/tomato mixture in a large bowl or serving dish before serving hot!
In conclusion, bangers and mash is a classic British dish that is best served with a variety of flavorful side dishes.
The best side dishes to serve with bangers and mash are caramelized onions, red wine gravy, minted mushy peas, braised red cabbage, honey roasted carrots and parsnips, creamed leeks, cauliflower cheese, crusty bread, Yorkshire puddings, baked beans, grilled tomatoes, sweetcorn, and spaghetti hoops.
These sides are all great accompaniments to the bangers and mash and will ensure that your meal is one to remember.
With these sides, you’ll never run out of ideas for what to serve with bangers and mash.
What To Serve With Bangers and Mash – 13 Best Side Dishes
- Caramelized onions
- Red wine gravy
- Minted mushy peas
- Braised red cabbage
- Honey Glazed Carrots and Parsnips
- Creamed leeks
- Cauliflower cheese
- Crusty bread
- Yorkshire puddings
- Baked beans
- Grilled tomatoes
- Coriander Sweetcorn Fritters
- Spaghetti hoops
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a side dish in 25 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.