Have you ever wanted to make the perfect roast beef sandwich?
If so, you’ve come to the right place.
I’m here to share with you my favorite 15 toppings for a delicious and hearty roast beef sandwich.
From classic accompaniments like cheddar cheese and horseradish mayo, to more creative options like roasted red peppers and arugula, these topping ideas will take your sandwich game up a notch!
So grab your bread of choice, some thinly sliced roast beef, and let’s get started on making an unforgettable lunch or dinner.
- What Salad Goes With Roast Beef? (15 Best Salads)
- Roast Beef Wine Pairing – The Best Wines for Roast Beef
- 10 Best Roast Beef Seasoning Recipes
What Is A Roast Beef Sandwich?
A roast beef sandwich is a classic American sandwich made with thinly sliced, cooked roast beef and served on a bun or bread.
It can be topped with condiments such as mayonnaise, mustard, horseradish sauce, ketchup, pickles, lettuce and tomato.
The sandwich is usually served hot but can also be enjoyed cold.
Roast beef sandwiches are popular in the United States and Canada and are often found at delis or diners.
They can also be made at home using leftover cooked roast beef or purchased pre-sliced from the grocery store.
Roast beef sandwiches make an easy lunch option that’s both filling and flavorful!
The 15 Best Roast Beef Sandwich Toppings
Roast beef sandwiches are a classic lunchtime favorite.
But what really makes them great is the toppings.
Here are fifteen of the best topping combinations that will take your roast beef sandwich to the next level:
Cheese is a dairy product made from the curdled milk of cows, goats, sheep, or other animals.
It is produced in a wide variety of flavors and textures, ranging from soft and creamy to hard and crumbly.
- To Add It: Adding cheese to roast beef sandwiches can add flavor and texture. The most common type of cheese used for this purpose is cheddar cheese, but there are many other varieties that can be used as well. For example, Swiss cheese adds a nutty flavor while provolone adds a milder taste.
- Substitutions: If you don’t have access to any kind of cheese for your roast beef sandwich, you could try substituting with cream cheese or ricotta instead. Both will still provide some creaminess and flavor without having to use traditional cheeses.
2. BBQ Sauce
BBQ sauce is a thick, tangy condiment made from tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, and spices.
It’s used to add flavor to grilled or smoked meats like ribs, chicken, pork shoulder, and brisket.
The sauce can be used as a marinade before cooking or as a finishing glaze after the meat has been cooked.
- To Add It: To use BBQ sauce on your roast beef sandwiches, simply spread it over the top of the sandwich before serving. You can also brush it onto the bread slices before adding the other ingredients for an extra layer of flavor. If you’re using pre-cooked roast beef slices for your sandwiches, you can heat them up in a skillet with some BBQ sauce for added flavor.
- Substitutions: If you don’t have access to BBQ sauce but still want to add some zing to your roast beef sandwiches, try substituting ketchup mixed with Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper flakes or horseradish mayonnaise instead.
3. Honey-Mustard Dressing
Honey-Mustard Dressing is a condiment made from a combination of honey, mustard, and other ingredients such as mayonnaise or sour cream.
It has a sweet and tangy flavor that pairs well with many dishes.
- To Make It: To make the dressing, combine equal parts honey and mustard in a bowl. Then add mayonnaise or sour cream to taste. Whisk together until smooth and creamy. You can also add garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice or vinegar for extra flavor.
- Substitutions: If you don’t have any honey on hand, you can substitute it with agave nectar or maple syrup. For the mustard component of the dressing, you can use dijon mustard instead of yellow mustard if desired. Additionally, plain Greek yogurt can be used in place of mayonnaise or sour cream for a healthier option.
Mayo, or mayonnaise, is a thick and creamy condiment made from oil, egg yolks, lemon juice or vinegar, and seasonings.
It is typically used as a spread on sandwiches and in salads.
- To Prepare It: To make mayo at home you will need to whisk together egg yolks with an acid such as lemon juice or vinegar until they are light in color. Then slowly add the oil while continuing to whisk until the mixture has thickened into a creamy emulsion. Finally, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Substitutions: If you don’t have access to mayo for your roast beef sandwich there are several alternatives that can be used instead such as Greek yogurt, hummus, pesto sauce, tahini sauce or avocado spread.
Butter is a dairy product made by churning cream or milk until it reaches a semi-solid state.
It is composed of butterfat, water, and milk proteins.
The color of the butter depends on the type of animal used to produce it; cow’s milk produces yellow butter while sheep’s milk produces white butter.
- To Prepare It: To prepare butter for use in cooking or baking, you will need to soften it first. This can be done by leaving it out at room temperature for about an hour before using it. Alternatively, you can cut the butter into small cubes and place them in a bowl with warm water until they are softened enough to work with.
- Substitutions: If you don’t have access to real butter, there are several substitutes that can be used instead such as margarine, vegetable shortening, coconut oil, olive oil, applesauce and mashed banana. However, these substitutes may not provide the same flavor or texture as real butter so keep this in mind when making your substitution choice.
6. Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato
Adding bacon, lettuce, and tomato (BLT) to your roast beef sandwich is a great way to take it up a notch.
The smoky flavor of the bacon complements the savory taste of the roast beef perfectly.
The crispness of the lettuce adds texture and crunch while balancing out the richness of both ingredients.
And finally, tomatoes provide a juicy sweetness that ties everything together.
This classic combination can be enjoyed on its own or with condiments like mayonnaise or mustard for an extra kick.
You can also experiment by adding other toppings such as pickles, onions, jalapenos, or avocado slices for even more flavor and texture.
7. Potato Chips
Potato chips are a classic addition to any sandwich.
They add crunch, texture, and flavor that can take your roast beef sandwich to the next level.
The salty chips pair perfectly with the savory flavors of the roast beef and other ingredients like cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and condiments.
You can also mix things up by adding different types of potato chips such as barbecue or sour cream & onion for an extra kick.
For a healthier option, try using baked potato chips instead of fried ones.
Pickles are a great way to add some crunch and flavor to your roast beef sandwich.
They can be sliced or diced, depending on how you like them.
Pickles also provide a nice contrast in texture with the softness of the bread and the tenderness of the meat.
You can use any type of pickle you like, from dill to sweet gherkins, or even spicy jalapenos for an extra kick.
Adding pickles will give your sandwich a unique flavor that will make it stand out from other sandwiches.
Olives are a great way to add a salty, briny flavor to your roast beef sandwich.
You can use any type of olives you like, from green olives to black olives.
I personally prefer the Kalamata variety because they have a nice balance of saltiness and sweetness.
Simply slice them up and add them to your sandwich for an extra layer of flavor.
If you want something more complex, try adding some olive tapenade or pesto for an even bigger punch of flavor.
Sauerkraut adds a nice tangy flavor and crunchy texture that pairs perfectly with the savory flavors of the beef.
Sauerkraut can be found in most grocery stores, but if you want to make your own, it’s easy enough to do.
All you need is some cabbage, salt, and time!
Once you have your sauerkraut ready, simply add it to your sandwich along with some mustard or mayonnaise for extra flavor.
The combination of the two will create an unforgettable taste experience!
11. Caramelized Onions
Caramelized onions are a great way to add flavor and texture to your sandwich.
The sweet, savory flavor of caramelized onions pairs perfectly with the rich, juicy taste of roast beef.
- To make them, start by slicing some yellow or white onions into thin rings.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add some butter or oil.
- Add the onion slices and cook until they’re golden brown and soft, stirring occasionally.
- Once they’re done, season them with salt and pepper to taste before adding them to your sandwich for an extra layer of deliciousness!
Guacamole is a great way to add some flavor and texture to your sandwich.
It’s creamy, tangy, and full of healthy fats that will help you feel fuller for longer.
Plus, it adds a nice contrast in color and texture to the sandwich.
To make guacamole, mash up an avocado with some lime juice, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cilantro (optional).
Mix everything together until it reaches your desired consistency.
Then spread it on top of your roast beef sandwich for a delicious meal!
13. Alfalfa Sprouts
Alfalfa sprouts are a type of sprout made from the alfalfa plant (Medicago sativa).
They are small, crunchy, and have a mild flavor.
The sprouts are usually about 1-2 inches long and can be eaten raw or cooked.
- Preparing This Topping: Alfalfa sprouts can be added to sandwiches, salads, wraps, and other dishes for an extra crunch. To prepare them for use in recipes, rinse the sprouts thoroughly with cold water to remove any dirt or debris. Then pat them dry with paper towels before adding them to your dish.
- Substitutions: If you don’t have access to alfalfa sprouts, you can substitute other types of sprouts such as mung bean or radish sprouts. These will provide a similar texture and flavor but may not look quite as attractive on top of your sandwich.
Mushrooms are a type of fungi that grow in the wild and can also be cultivated.
They come in many shapes, sizes, and colors, ranging from white to brown to black.
They have a meaty texture and earthy flavor that makes them popular as an ingredient in many dishes.
- Preparing This Topping: When preparing mushrooms for use as a topping on sandwiches or other dishes, it is important to clean them first by brushing off any dirt with a soft brush or damp cloth. Then slice the mushrooms into thin slices before sautéing them in butter or oil until they are golden brown and tender.
- Substitutions: If you don’t have access to fresh mushrooms, you can substitute canned mushrooms instead. Just make sure to drain off any excess liquid before adding them to your dish. You could also try using dried porcini mushrooms which will need to be rehydrated before being added to your dish.
Avocado is a fruit that grows on trees in tropical climates.
It has a creamy texture and mild flavor, and it’s often used as an ingredient in salads, sandwiches, and other dishes.
The flesh of the avocado is high in healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Preparing This Topping: To prepare avocado for use as a topping on sandwiches or burgers, start by slicing the avocado lengthwise around its pit. Twist the two halves apart to separate them. Remove the pit with a spoon or knife and discard it. Scoop out the flesh of each half with a spoon into small cubes or slices.
- Substitutions: If you don’t have access to avocados for your sandwich topping needs, there are some alternatives you can try such as hummus or mashed beans like chickpeas or black beans. These options will provide similar creaminess but won’t have quite the same flavor profile as avocados do.
In conclusion, roast beef sandwiches are a delicious and versatile meal that can be enjoyed any time of day.
With the right toppings, you can customize your sandwich to your liking and make it even more delicious.
The best roast beef sandwich toppings are cheese, BBQ sauce, honey-mustard dressing, mayo, butter, bacon, lettuce, and tomato, potato chips, pickles, olives, sauerkraut, caramelized onions, guacamole, alfalfa sprouts, mushrooms, and avocado.
All of these toppings offer a unique flavor and texture that can truly elevate your sandwich.
So, the next time you’re in the mood for a roast beef sandwich, don’t forget to add some of these delicious toppings to make it even more enjoyable.
The 15 Best Roast Beef Sandwich Toppings
- BBQ Sauce
- Honey-Mustard Dressing
- Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato
- Potato Chips
- Caramelized Onions
- Alfalfa Sprouts
- Pick your favorite toppings from this list.
- Prepare your roast beef sandwich in less than 15 minutes.
- Enjoy in no time!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.