Sandwiches are one of the easiest meals to make and roast beef sandwiches are no exception.
But what kind of bread should you use?
The best types of bread for roast beef sandwiches are ciabatta, French baguettes, focaccia, and sourdough. You can also use other hearty breads like rye or pumpernickel. For a lighter option, opt for a whole wheat roll or wrap.
That’s the million-dollar question.
The good news is that there are so many delicious types of bread out there, all with different flavors, textures, and nutrition profiles.
So if you are wondering ‘what kind of bread goes best with roast beef sandwiches‘, then you have come to the right place.
I’m sharing 7 of my favorite kinds of bread for roast beef sandwiches including artisanal loaves, whole grain breads, ciabatta rolls, sourdough, and more.
- What Salad Goes With Roast Beef? (15 Best Salads)
- Roast Beef Wine Pairing – The Best Wines for Roast Beef
- 10 Best Roast Beef Seasoning Recipes
What Is A Roast Beef Sandwich?
A roast beef sandwich is a classic American sandwich made with thinly sliced, cooked roast beef.
It is usually served on a bun or roll and topped with condiments such as mayonnaise, mustard, horseradish sauce, lettuce, tomato slices, pickles and/or cheese.
The sandwich can also be served open-faced or with two slices of bread.
Roast beef sandwiches are popular in the United States and Canada and can be found at many delis and fast food restaurants.
They are often served hot but can also be enjoyed cold.
Roast beef sandwiches make for an easy meal that’s both filling and delicious!
7 Best Kinds of Bread For Roast Beef Sandwiches
A classic roast beef sandwich is an easy and delicious meal to make for lunch or dinner.
The key to a great roast beef sandwich is finding the right kind of bread that will best compliment the flavors of the meat.
Here are seven types of breads that can be used for roast beef sandwiches, each offering a unique taste and texture:
Ciabatta is an Italian white bread made with wheat flour, water, salt, and yeast.
It has a crisp crust and a soft, chewy interior.
The dough is usually shaped into long loaves that are then cut into individual portions for serving.
- Texture: Ciabatta has a crisp crust and a soft, chewy interior. The texture of the bread comes from the combination of wheat flour and high-gluten flour which gives it its unique texture.
- Common Uses: Ciabatta is most commonly used as sandwich bread or toast but can also be used to make paninis or bruschetta. It’s also great for dipping in soups or sauces due to its absorbent nature. When making roast beef sandwiches, ciabatta is an excellent choice because it holds up well against the juicy meat while still providing plenty of flavor and texture contrast.
Sourdough is a type of bread made with a fermented dough starter.
The starter is made from flour, water, and wild yeast that naturally occurs in the air.
This process gives sourdough its unique flavor and texture.
- Texture: Sourdough has a chewy texture with a crisp crust. The fermentation process also creates an acidic taste that can be mild or strong depending on how long it was allowed to ferment.
- Common Uses: Sourdough is commonly used for sandwiches, toast, and other baked goods such as pizza crusts and focaccia breads. It’s also popular for making French toast or croutons for salads and soups. For roast beef sandwiches, sourdough provides the perfect balance of crunchy exterior and soft interior to hold all the delicious ingredients together!
A French baguette is a long, thin loaf of bread made from wheat flour.
It is typically about one foot in length and has a crisp, crunchy crust with an airy interior.
Baguettes are often served as part of a meal or used to make sandwiches.
- Texture: The texture of the French baguette is what makes it so desirable for many dishes. The outside is crispy and strong enough to hold up against the weight of the sandwich fillings while still being light and airy on the inside. This combination gives it a unique flavor that can’t be found in other types of breads.
- Common Uses: French baguettes are most commonly used for making sandwiches, such as roast beef sandwiches or ham and cheese paninis. They can also be sliced into smaller pieces and served with dips or spreads like hummus or tapenade. Additionally, they can be cut into cubes and used for croutons in salads or soups, or even grilled for bruschetta!
Focaccia is an Italian flatbread made with olive oil, salt, and herbs.
It has a soft and chewy texture with a crisp, salty crust.
The dough is usually topped with herbs or other ingredients such as olives or onions before baking.
- Texture: Focaccia has a soft and chewy texture on the inside, while the outside has a crisp and slightly salty crust. This combination of textures makes it perfect for sandwiches!
- Common Uses: Focaccia is often used to make sandwiches because of its unique texture. It can also be served as an appetizer or side dish when cut into small pieces and served with dips like hummus or pesto. Additionally, focaccia can be used in place of pizza dough for pizzas or calzones.
5. Rye Bread
Rye bread is a type of bread made with rye flour, which is milled from the grain of the rye plant.
It has a distinctive flavor and texture that sets it apart from other types of bread.
Rye breads are usually denser than wheat-based loaves, and they often have a slightly sour taste due to the presence of lactic acid in the dough.
- Texture: Rye bread has a chewy-yet-tender texture that makes it ideal for sandwiches. The dense crumb helps keep all the ingredients together, while its subtle sweetness complements savory fillings like roast beef or pastrami.
- Common Uses: Rye bread is most commonly used as sandwich bread, but it can also be served as toast or used to make croutons for salads or soups. It’s also popular in Eastern European countries such as Poland and Russia, where it’s often served with smoked fish or cured meats like salami and ham.
Pumpernickel is a type of dark, dense bread made with rye flour.
It has a slightly sweet flavor and is often used in sandwiches or as toast.
The name pumpernickel comes from the German words “pumpern” meaning to break wind and “Nickel” which was an old nickname for Nicholas.
- Texture: Pumpernickel bread is known for its soft texture and moist crumb. It’s usually denser than other types of bread, but still light enough to be enjoyed on its own or as part of a sandwich.
- Common Uses: Pumpernickel bread can be used in many different ways, including making sandwiches, toast, French toast, grilled cheese sandwiches, paninis, open-faced sandwiches and more. It also pairs well with meats such as roast beef or pastrami and cheeses like Swiss or cheddar.
Brioche is a type of French bread that is enriched with butter and eggs.
It has a light, fluffy texture and a slightly sweet flavor.
The dough is usually made with all-purpose flour, sugar, salt, butter, eggs, and yeast.
- Texture: Brioche has an incredibly soft texture due to the high fat content from the butter and eggs. This makes it perfect for sandwiches as it won’t become soggy or fall apart easily when filled with ingredients like roast beef or cheese.
- Common Uses: Brioche is most commonly used in sweet dishes such as French toast or pastries but can also be used in savory dishes such as sandwiches. Its light texture makes it ideal for making delicious roast beef sandwiches – the sweetness of the brioche complements the savory flavors of the meat perfectly!
In conclusion, when making a roast beef sandwich, the type of bread you use can make all the difference.
The best kinds of bread for roast beef sandwiches are ciabatta, sourdough, French baguettes, focaccia, rye bread, pumpernickel, and brioche.
Each of these breads have a unique flavor and texture that will complement your sandwich perfectly.
With so many delicious options, you can mix and match different types of breads to find the perfect combination to satisfy your taste buds.
So now, you can create the perfect roast beef sandwich with your favorite breads.
7 Best Kinds of Bread For Roast Beef Sandwiches
- French Baguettes
- Rye Bread
- Select your favorite kind of bread.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Enjoy a delicious roast beef sandwich in no time!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.