Today we’re taking a look at the question that’s on everyone’s mind: what kind of soup goes well with sourdough bread?
Sourdough bread is the toast of the town right now, and we’ve heard from our readers that they love it.
But what about soup?
See Also: 50 Best Soups with Turnips
If you’re serving up some sourdough bread with your soup, how do you choose the best soup to go with it?
Well, we’ve got answers.
We’ve put together a list of soups that go great with sourdough bread.
All you have to do is open your pantry, check out what ingredients you already have on hand, and find a recipe on our list that matches!
Let’s get started!
See Also: What to Serve with Albondigas Soup? 17 Best Side Dishes
What Soup Goes Well with Sourdough Bread?
Soups with a thicker base are generally the best match for sourdough bread. This could be a hearty vegetable soup or pasta e fagioli, or even a creamy mushroom soup. These soups will soak into the bread and expand your already-satiated tastebuds!
If you want to go the opposite route, a light broth can make an excellent pairing as well. Chicken noodle is always a classic choice, but we’d also like to recommend pho or chicken tortilla.
Soup is a natural sidekick for sourdough bread, so we put together a list of soups that are sure to please even the pickiest palates.
From creamy classics like corn chowder and tomato bisque to hearty options like potato soup and chili, we have you covered for your next dinner date with your favorite loaf.
So, here are 9 kinds of soup to serve with sourdough bread:
1. Creamy Mushroom Soup
If you’re looking for the right kind of soup to serve with your favorite loaf, look no further: creamy mushroom soup is the way to go.
How to make creamy mushroom soup in 5 easy steps:
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onions, fresh thyme, and garlic. Cook until the onions are soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook for an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms are browned.
- Add chicken broth and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cream cheese and half-and-half until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth (if using a food processor, return to pot). Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with sourdough bread on the side!
2. Tomato basil soup
Tomato basil soup is savory, creamy, and rich enough to stand up against the bold flavor of sourdough—but not so rich that you’ll feel like you’re going overboard.
Plus, the sweet acidity from the tomatoes pairs perfectly with the savory saltiness of the bread, and when you find yourself wishing for something green on your plate, a couple basil leaves will do just fine.
Here’s how we make our tomato basil soup:
- Sautee onion, garlic, and carrots in olive oil.
- Add flour, tomato paste, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes. Cook until everything is combined.
- Add vegetable broth, tomatoes (with juice), and beans. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream and sugar.
- Remove from heat and blend until smooth. Garnish with basil leaves and serve!
3. Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
While you could serve almost any soup alongside sourdough bread, one of our favorites is roasted butternut squash soup.
Here’s how to make it in 5 easy steps:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Peel and seed the butternut squash and cut it into cubes. Place them on a baking sheet, toss with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft, 3-4 minutes, then add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add roasted butternut squash and vegetable broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot with a lid, and simmer for 10 minutes or until everything is tender.
- In batches, place hot soup mixture into a blender or food processor along with lemon juice and puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste if needed (I always do).
- Serve immediately with crusty sourdough bread!
4. Creamy Broccoli and Cheese Soup
We feel that this bread and soup combination is ideal for the summer months, but it’s also great anytime you want something light and fresh.
The creamy broccoli and cheese soup is one of our favorites, because it’s so hearty and satisfying, while still being light and refreshing.
And the best part?
This creamy broccoli and cheese soup really couldn’t be easier.
Here’s how to make it in five simple steps:
- Sauté onions, garlic, salt and pepper in a pot until soft
- Add broccoli florets, broth, and milk until the broccoli is tender (about 15 minutes)
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until creamy
- Mix cheese into the soup until fully melted
- Season with additional salt and pepper
Serve it up with your favorite sourdough bread, grab a spoon, and enjoy!
5. Lentil soup
If you’re looking for a special dish to serve at your dinner parties, or just a savory addition to your lunch or weekend brunch, look no further than our beloved lentil soup.
We’re going to walk you through how to make it in just five steps, and then tell you how we usually serve this bread alongside the soup.
When you pair this hearty, rich dish with our hearty, rich bread, you’ll be absolutely amazed at the flavor combination. Just make sure to save room for dessert!
- Heat up some olive oil in a pot
- Add chopped garlic and onion, cook until translucent
- Add chopped carrots and celery, cook for another 2 minutes
- Add lentils and vegetable stock or water, bring to a boil
- Simmer for about 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft
Serve with sourdough bread on the side—and enjoy!
6. Potato Leek Soup
If you love a crisp piece of sourdough bread with your soup, you know this combo is a match made in heaven.
This particular pairing is great for when you’re trying to impress a guest, or when you and the family are in the mood for something extra comforting.
Our potato leek soup and sourdough bread combo is simple to make, but it’s packed with flavor, and there’s nothing quite like the way the salty, buttery crunch of the bread contrasts with the smooth creaminess of our potato leek soup.
Here’s how to make this dish:
- Make our potato leek soup according to package instructions
- Toast slices of sourdough bread in the oven until golden brown
- Spread each slice of bread with 1 tablespoon of softened butter (optional)
- Pour the soup into bowls and top with parsley for garnish
- Serve alongside your favorite dinner wine!
7. Vegetable Beef Stew
Sourdough bread: the best way to eat vegetables?
We think so.
Pairing it with a delicious vegetable beef stew (See Also: What to Serve with Beef Stew?) is a great way to impress dinner guests (or just your family), and it’s so easy to do.
We’ve got 5 simple steps that will have you ready to serve this hearty combo in less than an hour.
- Fill a large pot with water and set on medium-high heat.
- Add one packet of our vegetable beef soup mix, and stir until dissolved.
- Once the mixture begins to boil, add 1 pound of stew meat and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot with sourdough bread!
8. Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken noodle soup is the perfect complement to sourdough bread.
See Also: What Vegetables Go in Chicken Noodle Soup? (18 Vegetables)
Here’s how you make it in five steps:
- Boil chicken in water until it is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and set aside. Add noodles and cook until they are al dente.
- Dice carrots, celery, and onion and sauté them in olive oil or butter over medium heat until tender. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add carrots and onion mixture to pot with chicken broth, then add precooked chicken when it has cooled enough to handle. Simmer together for 20 minutes or more, until all vegetables are soft and a little mushy—just how we like them!
- Add salt and pepper to taste before serving hot with freshly sliced sourdough bread (or toasted crostini).
Sourdough and chicken noodle soup is a classic combo, to be sure.
But no matter how often you see it served together, it never gets old.
Here are two reasons why we love it so much:
- It’s cold outside—seriously, it’s getting chilly. And when the weather is like this, there’s nothing cozier than a steaming bowl of soup to warm your hands and your heart. Sourdough bread goes great with pretty much any kind of soup, but we especially love the way our sourdough complements the chicken noodle soup from [link to recipe].
- You’re sick—we know, this isn’t the most fun reason to eat chicken noodle soup, but hey—it’s one of the main reasons it exists in the first place! So if you’re feeling under the weather, grab your favorite blanket, curl up on your couch with a hot bowl of chicken noodle soup, and dunk some yummy sourdough into that broth. You’ll feel better in no time.
9. French Onion Soup
French onion soup is great for a rainy day, or any time you want to cozy up in front of a fire and savor the flavor of a hearty broth, onions, and some cheese.
See Also: 17 Best Sandwiches for French Onion Soup
Serve it with a nice glass of red wine for an even better experience.
Here’s how to make it:
- First, melt sugar in butter in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in onions and garlic; cook 15 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in wine; bring to a boil.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
- Add remaining ingredients except for cheese; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to broil with oven rack 6 inches from heat.
- Spoon soup into oven-safe bowls; top each with 1 tablespoon of cheese.
- Broil for 3 minutes or until cheese begins to brown.
- Ladle soup into bowls, sprinkle with parsley and serve with sourdough bread!
What to Serve with Soup Besides Bread – 35 Easy Sides
What to Serve with Soup Besides Salad (21 Sides)
What to Serve with Lentil Soup (28 Best Side Dishes)
What to Serve with Potato Soup? 30 Best Side Dishes
What to Serve with Ham and Bean Soup – 25 Easy Sides
What to Serve with Tomato Soup Besides Grilled Cheese
What Dessert Goes With Soup? 10 Easy Desserts
What to Serve with Potato Leek Soup – 16 Easy Sides
What to Serve with Butternut Squash Soup (52 Best Sides)
What to Serve with Asparagus Soup – 10 Side Dishes
16 Best Soups to Serve with Pizza (With Recipes)
What Kind of Bread to Serve with Soup (39 Breads)
What Soup Goes Well with Sourdough Bread? (9 Soups)
- Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Tomato basil soup
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Creamy Broccoli and Cheese Soup
- Lentil soup
- Potato Leek Soup
- Vegetable Beef Stew
- Chicken Noodle Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Pick any of the soups on this list to serve with your sourdough bread.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Be ready to munch in no time!
Hi, I'm Benjamin. I love cooking, long walks, and my girlfriend! Here you’ll find simple and delicious recipes that you can make in 30 minutes or less.