Not sure what to serve with grilled shrimp?
Look no further!
I’ve rounded up 15 of the best side dishes that you can whip up and pair with your favorite shrimp recipes.
Whether you’re looking for something sweet, savory, cool, or warm, this list has all kinds of delicious options.
And none of them will break the bank or take too much preparation!
From a stick-to-your ribs mashed potato dish and a vibrant tabbouleh salad to an acai bowl full of tropical fruits and even roasted sweet potatoes, these sides are sure to take both your taste buds and presentation skills to the next level.
Let’s create a memorable meal that everyone will love!
Why Consider Serving Sides with Grilled Shrimp?
Serving sides alongside grilled shrimp is a great way to add flavor and texture to the dish.
Here are three reasons why:
- Variety of Flavors: Serving sides with grilled shrimp allows you to create a variety of flavors that complement each other. For example, if you’re grilling garlic-butter shrimp, you can serve it with a side of roasted potatoes or steamed vegetables for added flavor and texture.
- Balance Nutrients: Grilled shrimp is high in protein but low in carbohydrates, so serving sides like rice or quinoa can help balance out the meal nutritionally by adding complex carbs into the mix. This will also help keep your guests full longer!
- Visual Appeal: Presentation matters when it comes to food, and having colorful sides on the plate makes for an attractive presentation that will make your guests want to dig in right away! Plus, having different colors on the plate helps break up any monotony from eating just one type of food (in this case, grilled shrimp).
What To Serve With Grilled Shrimp? 15 Best Side Dishes
Grilled shrimp is a delicious and easy meal, but it can be hard to know what side dishes to serve with it.
Here are fifteen of the best sides for grilled shrimp, each offering an unexpected flavor or texture:
1. Potato Salad
- What Is It? Potato salad is a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with grilled shrimp. It’s made by combining boiled potatoes, mayonnaise, mustard, and other seasonings to create a creamy and flavorful accompaniment. You can also add in chopped vegetables like celery or onions for extra crunch and flavor.
- Serving Them Together: Grilled shrimp and potato salad make an excellent combination for any meal. Serve the two together as part of a larger spread with other sides such as coleslaw or roasted vegetables. Or keep it simple by just serving the grilled shrimp and potato salad on their own with some crusty bread or dinner rolls on the side.
- What Is It? Risotto is an Italian dish made with Arborio rice, broth, and other ingredients such as vegetables, cheese, and herbs. The rice is cooked slowly in the broth until it becomes creamy and tender.
- Serving Them Together: Grilled shrimp and risotto make a delicious combination. To serve them together, start by preparing the risotto according to your recipe instructions. Once the risotto is nearly done cooking, add the grilled shrimp to the pan for a few minutes to heat through. Serve the risotto topped with grilled shrimp for a flavorful meal that’s sure to please!
- What Is It? Coleslaw is a salad made of shredded cabbage and carrots, usually dressed with mayonnaise or a vinaigrette. It can be served as a side dish or used as an ingredient in sandwiches and wraps.
- Serving Them Together: Grilled shrimp and coleslaw make for a delicious combination. The crunchy texture of the slaw complements the juicy shrimp perfectly, while the creamy dressing adds richness to the meal. Serve them together with some crusty bread or roasted potatoes for a complete dinner. For added flavor, try adding fresh herbs like parsley or dill to your coleslaw mix before tossing it in dressing.
4. Asian Cucumber Salad
- What Is It? Asian cucumber salad is a refreshing side dish that pairs perfectly with grilled shrimp. This simple salad consists of thinly sliced cucumbers, red onion, and cilantro tossed in a light dressing made from rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, and salt. The combination of sweet and savory flavors makes this salad the perfect accompaniment to any seafood dish.
- Serving Them Together: To serve grilled shrimp with Asian cucumber salad, start by prepping the ingredients for the salad. Thinly slice the cucumbers and red onion into matchsticks or thin slices. Toss them together in a bowl with some chopped cilantro leaves. In a separate bowl, whisk together rice vinegar, sesame oil, sugar, and salt until combined. Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to combine. Grill your shrimp according to your preferred recipe then serve alongside the Asian cucumber salad for an easy yet delicious meal!
5. Green Beans
- What Is It? Green beans are a type of legume that is related to the common bean. They have a mild, slightly sweet flavor and can be eaten raw or cooked. When cooked, they become tender and take on a bright green color.
- Serving Them Together: Grilled shrimp and green beans make an excellent combination for dinner. The sweetness of the shrimp pairs well with the mild flavor of the green beans, while their contrasting textures add interest to the dish. To serve them together, try marinating your shrimp in olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, and herbs before grilling them until just done. Then toss your cooked green beans with some butter or olive oil and seasonings such as salt and pepper before serving alongside your grilled shrimp.
6. Cheesy Ranch Potato Foil Packs
- What Is It? Cheesy Ranch Potato Foil Packs are a delicious and easy side dish to serve with grilled shrimp. They consist of potatoes, cheese, ranch dressing mix, butter, and seasonings all wrapped up in foil packets and cooked on the grill or in the oven. The result is a creamy, cheesy potato dish that pairs perfectly with grilled shrimp.
- Serving Them Together: To serve these two dishes together, start by prepping your Cheesy Ranch Potato Foil Packs according to the recipe instructions. Once they’re ready to go on the grill or in the oven, prepare your grilled shrimp according to your favorite recipe. When both dishes are finished cooking, plate them together for a delicious meal!
7. Creamy Parmesan Rice
- What Is It? Creamy Parmesan Rice is a delicious side dish that pairs perfectly with grilled shrimp. This creamy rice dish is made with white long-grain rice, butter, garlic, and parmesan cheese. The result is a flavorful and comforting side dish that will complement the smoky flavor of the grilled shrimp.
- Serving Them Together: To serve this combination together, start by preparing the Creamy Parmesan Rice according to the recipe instructions. While it’s cooking, prepare your favorite marinade for the shrimp and let them sit in it for at least 30 minutes before grilling them over medium heat until they are cooked through. Serve the grilled shrimp alongside a generous portion of Creamy Parmesan Rice and enjoy!
8. Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks
- What Is It? Cheesy garlic breadsticks are a delicious side dish that pairs perfectly with grilled shrimp. They are made by rolling out pizza dough, brushing it with melted butter and garlic, sprinkling it with cheese, and baking until golden brown. The result is a crunchy, cheesy snack that’s sure to please any crowd.
- Serving Them Together: Grilled shrimp and cheesy garlic breadsticks make for an easy yet impressive meal. Serve the shrimp on a bed of greens or over rice for a complete dinner. For an extra touch of flavor, sprinkle some fresh herbs over the top before serving. The cheesy garlic breadsticks can be served alongside the shrimp as an appetizer or as part of the main course.
9. Grilled Corn on the Cob
- What Is It? Grilled corn on the cob is a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with grilled shrimp. Corn on the cob is simply ears of corn that have been cooked over an open flame or hot coals, giving it a smoky flavor and charred texture. The kernels become tender and sweet when cooked this way, making them a great accompaniment to grilled shrimp.
- Serving Them Together: To serve grilled shrimp and corn together, start by prepping your ingredients. Grill the ears of corn until they are lightly charred and tender, then brush them with melted butter or olive oil for extra flavor. Meanwhile, season your shrimp with salt and pepper before grilling them until they are just cooked through. Serve the grilled shrimp alongside the corn on the cob for a delicious summer meal!
10. Asparagus with balsamic glaze & parmesan cheese
- What Is It? Asparagus with balsamic glaze and parmesan cheese is a simple yet delicious side dish that pairs perfectly with grilled shrimp. The asparagus is cooked until tender-crisp, then tossed in a sweet and tangy balsamic glaze and topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
- Serving Them Together: To serve this combination, start by preheating your grill to medium-high heat. Grill the shrimp for 3-4 minutes per side or until they are opaque throughout. While the shrimp are cooking, prepare the asparagus by trimming off the tough ends and tossing them in olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Place them on the grill for 4-5 minutes or until they are tender-crisp. Once both components are cooked through, transfer them to a serving platter and drizzle with balsamic glaze before topping with freshly grated parmesan cheese. Serve immediately while hot!
11. Grilled Vegetables
- What Is It? Grilled vegetables are a great side dish to serve with grilled shrimp. They can be cooked on the same grill as the shrimp, or in a separate pan. Popular vegetables for grilling include bell peppers, zucchini, eggplant, mushrooms, onions, and tomatoes. The vegetables should be cut into slices or cubes before being placed on the grill so that they cook evenly.
- Serving Them Together: To serve grilled shrimp and vegetables together, start by prepping your vegetables and marinating them in olive oil and herbs of your choice. Once the veggies are ready to go, place them on the hot grill alongside your shrimp skewers. Grill until both sides of each vegetable have nice char marks and are tender when pierced with a fork. Serve immediately with lemon wedges for squeezing over top!
12. Roasted Vegetable Pita Sandwiches
- What Is It? Roasted Vegetable Pita Sandwiches are a delicious and easy meal that pairs perfectly with grilled shrimp. The sandwiches are made by stuffing pita bread with roasted vegetables such as bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, and zucchini. The vegetables can be seasoned with herbs and spices to add flavor.
- Serving Them Together: Grilled shrimp and roasted vegetable pita sandwiches make a great combination for an easy dinner or lunch. Serve the sandwiches on their own or alongside a side salad of mixed greens tossed in a light vinaigrette dressing. For extra crunch, top the sandwiches with some crumbled feta cheese or sliced olives. To round out the meal, serve it with some fresh fruit or chips for dipping into hummus or guacamole.
13. Grilled Zucchini and Squash
- What Is It? Grilled zucchini and squash are a delicious side dish to serve with grilled shrimp. Zucchini and squash are both summer vegetables that can be cooked on the grill in just minutes. They have a mild flavor that pairs well with the smoky, charred flavor of grilled shrimp.
- Serving Them Together: To make this meal complete, slice the zucchini and squash into thick slices or cubes, season them with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and any other desired spices. Grill them over medium-high heat until they are lightly charred and tender. Serve alongside your grilled shrimp for a delicious summer meal!
14. Classic Caesar Salad
- What Is It? Caesar salad is a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with grilled shrimp. It is made with crisp romaine lettuce, croutons, Parmesan cheese, and a creamy dressing made from anchovies, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Serving Them Together: Grilled shrimp and Caesar salad make an ideal combination for a light summer meal. The smoky flavor of the grilled shrimp complements the tangy dressing in the salad. Serve them together on a bed of greens or as part of an entrée plate with other sides such as roasted vegetables or potatoes. For added flavor and texture, top the salad with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese or toasted pine nuts before serving.
15. Rainbow Fruit Skewers
- What Is It? Rainbow Fruit Skewers are a colorful and healthy side dish that pairs perfectly with grilled shrimp. The skewers are made by threading pieces of fresh fruit onto wooden or metal skewers, then grilling them until lightly charred. The result is a sweet and smoky flavor that complements the savory taste of grilled shrimp.
- Serving Them Together: To serve rainbow fruit skewers alongside grilled shrimp, start by prepping the fruit for the skewers. Cut up your favorite fruits into bite-sized pieces and thread them onto the skewer in an alternating pattern to create a rainbow effect. Once you’ve finished prepping the fruit, it’s time to fire up the grill! Grill your shrimp until they’re cooked through, then add your rainbow fruit skewers to the grill for just a few minutes until lightly charred. Serve together with some lemon wedges for squeezing over top and enjoy!
In conclusion, grilled shrimp is a delicious and versatile dish that can be served with a variety of sides.
From potato salad to asparagus with balsamic glaze, there are plenty of sides that can bring out the delicious flavors of grilled shrimp.
The best side dishes to serve with grilled shrimp are potato salad, risotto, coleslaw, cucumber salad, green beans, grilled foil potatoes, creamy parmesan rice, cheesy garlic breadsticks, grilled corn on the cob, asparagus with balsamic glaze, grilled vegetables, grilled pita with hummus, and grilled zucchini and squash.
With these 15 delicious side dishes, your next grilled shrimp dinner will be a hit.
What To Serve With Grilled Shrimp? 15 Best Side Dishes
- Potato Salad
- Asian Cucumber Salad
- Green Beans
- Cheesy Ranch Potato Foil Packs
- Creamy Parmesan Rice
- Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Asparagus with balsamic glaze & parmesan cheese
- Grilled Vegetables
- Roasted Vegetable Pita Sandwiches
- Grilled Zucchini and Squash
- Classic Caesar Salad
- Rainbow Fruit Skewers
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a grilled shrimp side in 25 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.