Bread is the perfect food companion to any meal, and dinner rolls are a staple of home cooks everywhere.
But what to eat with dinner rolls?
Dinner rolls are a great accompaniment to any meal. They taste delicious with chili, soup, and stews. Serve them with pasta dishes like mac and cheese or lasagna, or try them as an appetizer topped with melted butter and garlic. You can also use dinner rolls in place of hamburger buns for sliders or sandwiches.
Well, I’m about to show you 10 delicious main dishes that pair perfectly with fluffy dinner rolls!
I can’t resist a soft and buttery dinner roll, whether it’s snuggled in next to my roast chicken or served as an accompaniment for family soup night.
But sometimes I find myself wondering “what else can I serve alongside this tried-and-true favorite?”
The answer: Dinner roll choices are endless!
Whether you’re looking for some vegan and vegetarian options, elegant main dish recipes that your guests will swoon over, easy meal ideas for weeknights, one-pan dinners plus sides—or just plain comforting favorites like casseroles and macaroni & cheese—there’s something here for everyone.
So let me introduce you to 10 amazing main dishes that taste terrific along side those soft, warm dinner rolls.
From slow cooker soups to one pot wonders loaded with veggies, your next big meal awaits!
Why Consider Pairing Dinner Rolls with A Main Dish?
- Dinner rolls are a great way to add texture and flavor to any main dish. The soft, fluffy texture of the roll can provide a contrast to the crunchy or chewy textures of other dishes on the plate. Additionally, dinner rolls come in many different flavors such as garlic, onion, cheese, and herb-infused varieties that can help enhance the flavor profile of your meal.
- Serving dinner rolls with a main dish is also an easy way to make sure everyone at the table has something they like. Whether you’re serving steak or fish, there’s likely a type of dinner roll that will pair well with it and be enjoyed by all diners.
- Finally, pairing dinner rolls with a main dish is an economical option for feeding large groups of people without breaking the bank! Rolls are usually inexpensive compared to other side dishes and can easily feed several people when served alongside a larger entrée item like roast chicken or pork chops.
What To Eat With Dinner Rolls? 10 Best Main Dishes
Dinner rolls are a delicious accompaniment to any meal, but they can be difficult to pair with the right main dish.
Here are ten great dishes that you can serve with dinner rolls for a complete and satisfying meal:
- Popularity: Italian-style lentil meatballs are a popular dish that can be served as an appetizer or main course. The combination of lentils, herbs, and spices creates a flavorful and hearty meal that is sure to please any crowd. Lentil meatballs are also a great way to add protein to your diet without relying on animal products.
- Serving Ideas: Lentil meatballs can be served with traditional Italian dishes such as spaghetti and marinara sauce, or they can be used in sandwiches or wraps for lunch. They also make a great addition to salads or grain bowls for dinner. For an extra special touch, serve the meatballs with homemade dinner rolls for dipping into sauces or spreads.
- Popularity: Creamy chicken stew is a popular comfort food that can be enjoyed year-round. It’s made with tender pieces of chicken, vegetables, and a creamy sauce. The dish is usually served over rice or mashed potatoes for a hearty meal.
- Serving Ideas: Dinner rolls are the perfect accompaniment to creamy chicken stew. They can be used to sop up the delicious sauce or as an edible spoon for scooping up the stew itself. For added flavor, try brushing the dinner rolls with melted butter before serving them alongside your creamy chicken stew.
- Popularity: Creamy Coconut Chicken is a popular dish that combines the flavors of coconut milk, curry powder, and chicken. The creamy sauce is made with coconut milk, which adds a subtle sweetness to the dish. Curry powder gives it an exotic flavor while the chicken provides a hearty base for the meal.
- Serving Ideas: Creamy Coconut Chicken pairs well with dinner rolls as they can be used to soak up any extra sauce from the dish. It also goes great with steamed white rice or roasted vegetables such as carrots and potatoes. For an even heartier meal, serve it over couscous or quinoa for added texture and flavor.
- Popularity: Thai turkey meatballs in coconut red curry sauce is a popular dish that combines the flavors of Southeast Asia with the comfort of classic meatballs. The combination of ground turkey, fragrant spices, and creamy coconut milk creates a flavorful and satisfying meal. The addition of red curry paste adds a spicy kick to the dish, making it perfect for those who like their food with an extra kick.
- Serving Ideas: This dish can be served over steamed jasmine rice or noodles for a complete meal. It also pairs well with roasted vegetables such as carrots, broccoli, and bell peppers. For an even heartier meal, serve it alongside dinner rolls or crusty bread to soak up all the delicious sauce.
- Popularity: Italian baked turkey meatballs are a popular dish that can be served as an appetizer or main course. The combination of ground turkey, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and herbs creates a flavorful and juicy meatball that pairs perfectly with dinner rolls.
- Serving Ideas: Italian baked turkey meatballs can be served in many different ways. They can be served alone as an appetizer with dinner rolls on the side for dipping into marinara sauce or other sauces. They can also be served over pasta or rice for a complete meal. For a lighter option, they can be served in lettuce wraps with fresh vegetables and a light vinaigrette dressing.
- Popularity: Homemade creamy hummus is a popular dip or spread that has become increasingly popular in recent years. It is made from cooked, mashed chickpeas blended with tahini, olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice. The result is a smooth and creamy dip that can be served as an appetizer or snack.
- Serving Ideas: Homemade creamy hummus pairs well with dinner rolls for a delicious accompaniment to any meal. It can also be used as a sandwich spread or added to salads for extra flavor and texture. For an easy appetizer, serve it with fresh vegetables such as carrots, celery, cucumbers, bell peppers, and radishes for dipping. You can also use it as the base of a wrap filled with grilled chicken or roasted vegetables for a healthy lunch option.
- Popularity: Cabbage roll soup is a popular dish that combines the flavors of cabbage rolls with a hearty and flavorful broth. The soup is made by simmering ground beef, onions, garlic, and spices in a rich tomato-based broth. The mixture is then combined with cooked cabbage leaves and served hot.
- Serving Ideas: Cabbage roll soup can be served as an appetizer or main course. It pairs well with crusty bread or dinner rolls for dipping into the flavorful broth. For a heartier meal, serve it alongside roasted vegetables or mashed potatoes. To make it even more filling, add cooked rice or noodles to the soup before serving.
8 – Three Bean Chili
- Popularity: Three bean chili is a popular dish that can be served as an appetizer, side dish, or main course. It is made with a combination of beans such as black beans, kidney beans, and pinto beans cooked in a flavorful tomato-based sauce. The chili can be spiced up with jalapenos or other hot peppers to give it some heat.
- Serving Ideas: Three bean chili pairs well with dinner rolls for a hearty meal. Serve the chili over rice or noodles for added texture and flavor. Top the chili with shredded cheese and diced onions for extra flavor and crunch. For an even heartier meal, add ground beef or turkey to the mix before serving. Enjoy your three bean chili with dinner rolls for a delicious meal!
- Popularity: Baked mac and cheese is a popular dish that can be served as a main course or side dish. It’s made with cooked macaroni noodles, cheese sauce, and often topped with breadcrumbs or other crunchy toppings. The creamy texture of the cheese sauce combined with the chewy noodles makes it an irresistible comfort food.
- Serving Ideas: Baked mac and cheese pairs well with dinner rolls for a complete meal. Serve it alongside roasted vegetables such as broccoli or Brussels sprouts for added nutrition, or top it off with bacon bits for extra flavor. For a heartier meal, add diced ham or cooked sausage to the mix before baking. You can also serve baked mac and cheese as an appetizer by cutting into small squares and serving on toothpicks.
- Popularity: Vegetarian Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups are a popular dish that can be served as an appetizer or main course. The combination of creamy ricotta cheese, spinach, and lasagna noodles rolled up into individual servings makes for a delicious and satisfying meal. The roll-ups can be made ahead of time and reheated when ready to serve, making them perfect for busy weeknights or entertaining guests.
- Serving Ideas: Vegetarian Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups pair well with dinner rolls for a complete meal. Serve the roll-ups with a side salad or roasted vegetables for added nutrition and flavor. For dessert, try serving fresh fruit or homemade ice cream sundaes topped with chocolate sauce.
In conclusion, dinner rolls are a versatile and delicious staple that can be enjoyed with a variety of dishes.
From vegetarian meatballs to creamy coconut chicken, there are plenty of options to choose from.
The best dishes to pair with dinner rolls are vegetarian meatballs, creamy chicken stew, creamy coconut chicken, turkey meatballs in curry sauce, Italian baked turkey meatballs, homemade creamy hummus, cabbage roll soup, veggie bean chili, baked mac and cheese, and spinach lasagna roll ups.
These meals are all delicious, easy to make, and will pair perfectly with your dinner rolls.
So, the next time you’re stumped for what to have with dinner rolls, look no further than this list!
What To Eat With Dinner Rolls? 10 Best Main Dishes
- Italian-Style Lentil Meatballs
- Creamy Chicken Stew
- Creamy Coconut Chicken
- Thai Turkey Meatballs In Coconut Red Curry Sauce
- Italian Baked Turkey Meatballs
- Homemade Creamy Hummus
- Cabbage Roll Soup
- Three Bean Chili
- Baked Mac and Cheese
- Vegetarian Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups
- Select your favorite side dish.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a side dish in 30 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.