Don’t even stress about what to serve with coconut chicken this week!
I’ve got you covered with 10 of the best dishes that pair perfectly with this delightful dinner.
Coconut chicken is a tropical twist on an old classic.
Marinated in honey and coconut milk, the tender chunks of chicken are then coated and deep fried or baked until crispy and golden.
Serve this crispy delight for dinner on its own or add some unique sides for an unforgettable meal!
From aromatic curries and creamy mayo-based salads, to tangy fruit salsas and fragrant pilafs – each one of these tantalizing side dishes will take your dinner from plain to amazing.
So get cooking, because everyone’s waiting to devour your delicious creation!
Why Consider Serving Sides with Coconut Chicken?
- Flavor: Coconut chicken is a flavorful dish that can be served with sides to enhance the overall flavor profile. For example, serving coconut chicken with a side of roasted vegetables such as carrots and sweet potatoes will add sweetness and earthiness to the meal. Additionally, adding a side of steamed rice or quinoa will provide an additional layer of texture and nuttiness to the dish.
- Balance: Serving sides with coconut chicken helps balance out the flavors in the dish by providing contrasting elements such as acidity, sweetness, bitterness, etc. For instance, adding a side salad made up of fresh greens like spinach or kale provides an acidic element that helps cut through some of the richness from the coconut milk used in making this dish. Similarly, serving a side of cooked fruit like apples or pears adds natural sweetness which complements the savory flavors found in coconut chicken dishes nicely.
- Variety: Serving sides with coconut chicken also allows for more variety when it comes to creating meals for your family or guests! By having multiple components on one plate you can create interesting combinations that are sure to please everyone’s taste buds! For example, try pairing your coconut chicken with roasted cauliflower and couscous for an exotic twist on traditional dinner fare!
What To Serve With Coconut Chicken? 10 Best Side Dishes
Coconut chicken is a delicious meal, but what do you serve it with?
Here are ten of the best side dishes to accompany coconut chicken.
From roasted vegetables to fragrant rice dishes, these accompaniments will complete your meal and leave everyone satisfied:
1 – Bacon and Cheese Loaded Fries
- What Is It? Bacon and cheese loaded fries are a delicious side dish that pairs perfectly with coconut chicken. The fries are made by baking thick-cut potato wedges in the oven until they’re golden brown and crispy. Then, they’re topped with crumbled bacon, shredded cheese, and your favorite seasonings.
- To Serve It Together: To serve this meal together, start by preheating your oven to 375°F (190°C). Place the potato wedges on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. While the potatoes are baking, prepare the coconut chicken according to recipe instructions. Once both dishes are cooked through, plate them together and enjoy!
2 – Creamy Homemade Coleslaw
- What Is It? Creamy homemade coleslaw is a classic side dish that pairs perfectly with coconut chicken. This creamy coleslaw recipe is made with shredded cabbage, carrots, and onion tossed in a creamy mayonnaise-based dressing. The addition of apple cider vinegar gives it a tangy flavor and the sugar adds just the right amount of sweetness.
- To Serve It Together: Coconut chicken can be served as an entrée or as part of a larger meal. To serve it together with creamy homemade coleslaw, start by preparing the chicken according to your favorite recipe. While the chicken is cooking, prepare the coleslaw by combining all ingredients in a large bowl and stirring until everything is evenly coated in dressing. Once both components are ready, plate them together for an easy yet delicious meal!
3 – Easy Sheet Pan Roasted Potatoes and Asparagus
- What Is It? Sheet pan roasted potatoes and asparagus is an easy side dish that pairs perfectly with coconut chicken. The potatoes are cut into cubes and tossed in olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and herbs before being roasted in the oven until golden brown. Asparagus spears are also added to the sheet pan for a delicious combination of flavors.
- To Serve It Together: To serve this side dish with coconut chicken, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place cubed potatoes on one half of a large baking sheet and asparagus spears on the other half. Drizzle both sides with olive oil and season generously with salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano or thyme leaves (optional). Roast in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned. Serve alongside your favorite coconut chicken recipe for a complete meal!
4 – Cheesy Broccoli Cornbread
- What Is It? Cheesy Broccoli Cornbread is a savory side dish that pairs perfectly with Coconut Chicken. This cornbread is made with fresh broccoli, sharp cheddar cheese, and sweet corn kernels for a delicious combination of flavors. The addition of the broccoli adds texture and color to the dish, while the cheese gives it an extra cheesy kick.
- To Serve It Together: To serve this side dish alongside your Coconut Chicken, preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with butter or cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 cup of yellow cornmeal, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of black pepper until combined. In another bowl whisk together 1 cup of milk, 2 eggs and 4 tablespoons melted butter until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients along with 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and one chopped head of broccoli florets; stir until just combined (do not overmix). Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool before serving alongside your Coconut Chicken for a delicious meal!
5 – Easy Lemon Herb Tahini Sauce
- What Is It? Lemon Herb Tahini Sauce is a creamy, flavorful sauce made with tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and herbs. This easy-to-make sauce pairs perfectly with coconut chicken for a delicious meal. The combination of the nutty tahini and bright citrus flavors make this an irresistible accompaniment to any dish.
- To Serve It Together: To serve together, start by preparing the Coconut Chicken according to your favorite recipe. While the chicken is cooking, prepare the Lemon Herb Tahini Sauce by combining all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Once both components are ready, plate up the Coconut Chicken and drizzle generously with the Lemon Herb Tahini Sauce before serving. Enjoy!
6 – Homemade Egg Pasta
- What Is It? Homemade egg pasta is a type of Italian pasta made with eggs and flour. The dough is kneaded until it forms a smooth, elastic texture, then rolled out into thin sheets before being cut into various shapes. Egg pasta can be used in any dish that calls for regular dried or fresh store-bought pasta.
- To Serve It Together: Coconut chicken pairs perfectly with homemade egg pasta. To make the dish, cook the egg noodles according to package instructions and set aside. Meanwhile, prepare the coconut chicken by marinating boneless skinless chicken breasts in a mixture of coconut milk, garlic, ginger, lime juice and cilantro for at least an hour before cooking them on the stovetop or baking them in the oven. Once cooked through, serve over the cooked egg noodles and garnish with additional cilantro leaves if desired.
7 – Roasted Root Vegetables
- What Is It? Roasted root vegetables are a delicious side dish that pairs perfectly with coconut chicken. Root vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, parsnips, and turnips can be roasted in the oven with olive oil, salt, pepper, and herbs for an easy and flavorful accompaniment to any meal.
- To Serve It Together: To serve coconut chicken with roasted root vegetables, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut up your desired root vegetables into cubes or wedges and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and tender. Serve alongside your favorite coconut chicken recipe for a complete meal!
8 – Coconut Rice Pilaf
- What Is It? Coconut rice pilaf is a flavorful side dish made with white or brown rice, coconut milk, and spices. The combination of the creamy coconut milk and fragrant spices creates a unique flavor that pairs perfectly with spicy dishes like coconut chicken.
- To Serve It Together: To serve together, start by cooking the chicken in a skillet over medium-high heat until it’s cooked through. While the chicken is cooking, prepare the coconut rice pilaf according to package instructions. Once both are finished cooking, plate them together and garnish with fresh herbs such as cilantro or parsley for an extra pop of flavor. Enjoy!
9 – Refreshing Green Salad
- What Is It? A refreshing green salad is a great accompaniment to coconut chicken. This type of salad typically includes fresh greens such as spinach, kale, or romaine lettuce, along with other vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, and bell peppers. The dressing can be anything from a simple vinaigrette to a creamy ranch-style dressing.
- To Serve It Together: To serve the coconut chicken and the refreshing green salad together, start by preparing the chicken according to your recipe instructions. While it’s cooking in the oven or on the stovetop, prepare your salad ingredients and toss them together in a large bowl. Once the chicken is cooked through and ready to serve, plate it alongside your freshly prepared salad for an easy yet delicious meal!
10 – Mango Avocado Salsa
- What Is It? Mango avocado salsa is a delicious and easy-to-make accompaniment to coconut chicken. This dish combines the sweetness of mango with the creaminess of avocado, creating a flavorful and colorful topping for your meal. The ingredients are simple: ripe mango, diced avocado, red onion, jalapeno pepper, cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
- To Serve It Together: To serve this salsa alongside coconut chicken, start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the chicken in an oven-safe dish and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through. While the chicken is baking, prepare the salsa by combining all of the ingredients in a bowl and stirring until combined. Once the chicken is done cooking, let it rest for 5 minutes before serving with a generous spoonful of mango avocado salsa on top!
In conclusion, coconut chicken is a delicious and flavourful dish that goes great with a variety of side dishes.
The best sides to serve with coconut chicken are cheesy French fries, creamy homemade coleslaw, roasted potatoes, asparagus and broccoli, crunchy cheesy cornbread, tangy pesto sauce, homemade egg pasta, roasted carrots and squash, coconut rice pilaf, refreshing green salad, and zesty mango and avocado salsa.
These sides are all packed with flavour and offer a great balance of sweet and savoury. With these sides, you can create a delicious meal that your guests will love.
What To Serve With Coconut Chicken? 10 Best Side Dishes
- Bacon and Cheese Loaded Fries
- Creamy Homemade Coleslaw
- Easy Sheet Pan Roasted Potatoes and Asparagus
- Cheesy Broccoli Cornbread
- Easy Lemon Herb Tahini Sauce
- Homemade Egg Pasta
- Roasted Root Vegetables
- Coconut Rice Pilaf
- Refreshing Green Salad
- Mango Avocado Salsa
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a coconut chicken side in 30 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.