There are many different ways to cook yellow rice, and it can be a great addition to any meal.
But what should you serve with yellow rice?
There are many options for what to serve with yellow rice.
You can keep it simple with just a lemon wedge, or get creative with a mango salsa or avocado relish. Other sides that pair well with yellow rice are roasted potatoes, grilled vegetables, quinoa, rice, and couscous.
The best way to compliment the flavor of yellow rice is with some veggies and mashed potatoes.
To know more about which dishes go well this type of rice, read on!
What to Serve with Yellow Rice?
There are many options for what to serve with yellow rice. You could serve it with chicken, shrimp, pork, beef, or vegetables. You could also pair it with a salad or soup. If you want to keep it simple, you could just serve it with some garlic bread.
Still looking for options?
Then keep scrolling!
Here are 23 side dishes that go well with yellow rice:
1. Garlic Bread
Personally, I love something crunchy and savory with my yellow rice.
That’s why garlic bread is always my go-to side dish.
The combination of the fluffy, buttery bread and the fragrant, flavorful rice is just heavenly.
Plus, it’s such an easy dish to whip up.
Simply slice some bread, spread on some butter and garlic, and pop it in the oven.
In no time at all, you’ll have a delicious side dish to enjoy with your meal.
Other great additions to this meal include:
How about some delicious and juicy grilled chicken?
The smokey flavor of the chicken pairs perfectly with the yellow rice, and it’s a great way to get some protein into your meal.
Plus, grilling is a quick and easy cooking method that won’t heat up your kitchen on a hot summer day.
- Just fire up the grill, and cook your chicken until it’s nicely browned and cooked through.
- Season it with some salt, pepper, and your favorite spices, and you’re good to go.
- Serve your grilled chicken alongside the yellow rice for a complete and satisfying meal.
How about firing up your grill for some shrimp to go with your yellow rice?
The smoky, charred flavor of grilled shrimp is the perfect complement to the subtly sweet rice.
And, it’s a quick and easy dish to prepare.
Simply season your shrimp with garlic, salt, and pepper.
Then grill for just a few minutes until they’re cooked through.
Serve them on top of your yellow rice, and add in some sautéed vegetables for a complete meal.
4. Pork Chops
Pork chops are reliable, easy to cook, and versatile.
They go with just about anything, but they’re especially good with yellow rice.
The two dishes share a common ingredient—saffron—which gives them both a beautiful golden color and a slightly earthy flavor.
In addition, the pork chops add a nice dose of protein to the meal.
For a simple yet tasty way to prepare pork chops, try this recipe:
- Season the chops with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Then, heat up some olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the chops to the pan and cook for about 4 minutes per side, or until they’re nicely browned and cooked through.
- Serve with yellow rice and your favorite vegetable side dish.
5. Beef Tacos
Why not add some Mexican flavors to your yellow rice dish?
Beef tacos are the perfect complement to the savory, slightly sweet flavors of yellow rice.
The beef can be cooked in a variety of ways, but I like to keep it simple by just seasoning it with salt, pepper, and cumin.
Then, just add your favorite taco toppings like lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream.
For a complete meal, you can also add refried beans to your yellow rice.
This dish is sure to please everyone at the table.
Or, if you’d like to make your dinner healthier, you could always roast some vegetables to go alongside your yellow rice.
Roasting brings out the natural sweetness of vegetables, and it’s a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies!
Try roasting carrots, sweet potatoes, and Brussels sprouts.
Toss them with a little olive oil and sea salt, then roast in a hot oven until they’re tender and caramelized.
Serve them over your yellow rice for a delicious and healthy meal.
Other possible ingredients to add to this dish include: grilled chicken or shrimp, sautéed kale or spinach, diced avocado, and fresh cilantro.
You could also simply pick your personal favorite salad recipe to accompany your yellow rice.
A salad is always a good option as a side dish because it is healthy and light, and it can help to brighten up a plate of food that might otherwise be quite heavy.
If you’re not sure what to make, try a simple green salad with cherry tomatoes, diced cucumber, and crumbled feta cheese.
You could also add in some grilled chicken or shrimp for a heartier meal.
For a dressing, use a simple olive oil and vinegar mixture, or your favorite store-bought dressing.
If you’re the type of person who likes a hot bowl of soup with your rice, then you’ll love this pairing.
The creamy potato soup is the perfect complement to the flavorful yellow rice.
The two dishes work together to create a filling and satisfying meal.
Plus, the addition of soup makes this a complete meal that is sure to please everyone at the table.
- To make the soup, simply simmer potatoes, milk, and chicken broth until the potatoes are soft.
- Then, puree the soup until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Season it with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot, topped with shredded cheddar cheese and green onions.
9. Steamed Rice
Although you’re already serving rice, you could also steam some to accompany your yellow rice.
Steamed rice is light and fluffy, and it has a subtle flavor that won’t compete with the other dishes on your plate.
It’s the perfect base for so many different flavors, making it a versatile side dish.
- To steam rice, simply rinse it in a fine mesh strainer to remove any excess starch.
- Then, add the rice to a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add in twice as much water as there is rice.
- Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pan.
- Simmer for 18 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- Serve steamed rice alongside your yellow rice and enjoy!
10. Lo Mein
Lo Mein is one of my favorite dishes to serve with yellow rice.
It’s a classic Chinese dish that is super easy to make, and it’s packed with flavor.
The key to a good lo mein is in the sauce.
I like to use a combination of soy sauce, oyster sauce, and rice wine vinegar.
These ingredients come together to create a delicious, umami-rich sauce that is the perfect complement to the yellow rice.
- To make the dish, simply stir-fry some vegetables (I like to use broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms) in a little oil.
- Add in the sauce, and then toss in cooked lo mein noodles.
- Top it off with a sprinkle of green onions and you’re good to go!
Or how about some chicken chow mein?
It’s a classic Chinese dish that goes great with yellow rice.
The savory flavors of the chicken and vegetables complement the rice perfectly, and the dish is relatively easy to make.
- Simply saute some chicken and vegetables in a wok or large skillet, then add in cooked yellow rice and a bit of soy sauce.
- Give it all a good stir-fry until everything is hot and evenly mixed.
- Serve in bowls with some extra soy sauce on the side, if desired.
If you don’t mind a little extra work in the kitchen, this 20-minute moo shu pork is the perfect meal to serve with yellow rice.
The dish is packed with flavor, and the addition of vegetables makes it a well-rounded meal.
Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover rice you might have.
- To make moo shu pork, start by sautéing some pork loin in a large skillet.
- Add in shredded cabbage, mushrooms, green onions, and garlic.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender, then stir in a beaten egg.
- Finally, add in your cooked yellow rice and some hoisin sauce.
- Serve with pancakes or lettuce wraps for a complete meal.
If you like curry, you’ll love Singapore noodles.
These thin rice noodles are cooked in a curry-flavored broth and then stir-fried with vegetables.
They make a great side dish for yellow rice, as the two dishes share similar flavors.
The noodles also add a nice contrast in texture to the rice.
For a complete meal, add some protein to your Singapore noodles.
Chicken, shrimp, and tofu all work well.
You can also throw in some additional vegetables, such as bell peppers or broccoli.
If you want a little bit of heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the dish.
14. Pad Thai
Pad Thai is a common street food in Thailand, and it’s also a great dish to serve with yellow rice.
The combination of sweet, sour, and salty flavors is irresistible, and the addition of protein-rich chicken or shrimp makes it a complete meal.
- To make pad Thai, start by cooking the yellow rice according to package directions.
- While the rice is cooking, stir-fry chicken or shrimp in a large skillet or wok.
- Add in some vegetables like onions, carrots, and bean sprouts.
- Then, add a sauce made with fish sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, and tamarind paste.
- Finally, toss in some chopped peanuts and cilantro for garnish.
- Serve the pad Thai on top of the cooked yellow rice.
This delicious stir fry noodle dish is commonly served with yellow rice.
The rice is usually flavored with turmeric, which gives it a beautiful yellow color.
The noodles are typically made with rice flour, so they have a slightly chewy texture.
Drunken noodles are usually stir fried with a variety of vegetables, such as bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms.
They’re also often seasoned with fish sauce, soy sauce, and chili pepper flakes.
This dish is a great way to add some spice to your meal.
- To make drunken noodles, simply stir fry the noodles with your favorite vegetables in a hot wok.
- Add in the sauces and seasonings to taste.
- Serve over a bed of yellow rice for a complete meal.
16. Chicken Khao Soi
This dish is super popular in Northern Thailand, and it’s traditionally made with egg noodles, chicken, and a coconut milk-based curry sauce.
It’s usually served with a side of pickled mustard greens, and it’s absolutely delicious.
- To make it at home, start by cooking the yellow rice according to package directions.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the other ingredients.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, sauté chicken until it’s cooked through.
- Add in some Thai red curry paste, coconut milk, and chicken broth.
- Let the mixture simmer until it’s nice and thick.
- Serve over the cooked yellow rice, and top with pickled mustard greens, cilantro, and lime wedges.
Here’s another delicious addition to your yellow rice meal: Crab Rangoon!
These little bites are packed with flavor, and they’re so easy to make.
- Simply combine crabmeat and cream cheese in a wonton wrapper, and fry until golden brown.
- Serve with a sweet and sour sauce for dipping, and enjoy!
You can also add other ingredients to your yellow rice, such as peas, carrots, or chicken.
Just be sure to keep the flavors light and bright to complement the rice.
18. Egg Rolls
Egg rolls are a classic Chinese dish that is sure to please everyone at the table.
They’re also relatively easy to make at home.
- Simply fill them with your favorite veggies (we like cabbage and carrots) and fry them up until they’re nice and crispy.
- Serve with a side of sweet and sour sauce for dipping, and you’ve got yourself a delicious meal.
Dumplings go super well with yellow rice.
They can be boiled, steamed, or fried, and they can be made with all sorts of different fillings.
Dumplings are a great way to add some extra protein and flavor to a meal.
Plus, they’re fun to eat!
For a simple yet delicious dumpling, try this recipe:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped cabbage
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add in the water and oil, and stir until everything is combined.
- Add in the onion, cabbage, and soy sauce. Mix everything together until well combined.
- To cook the dumplings, bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Drop the dumplings into the water and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until they float to the surface.
- Serve with yellow rice and your favorite dipping sauce.
I love the taste of teriyaki.
I always make sure to have a bottle of teriyaki sauce in my fridge because it’s so versatile.
You can use it to marinate meats, add flavor to stir-fries, or even just use it as a dipping sauce.
One of my favorite ways to enjoy teriyaki is with yellow rice.
The rice takes on a beautiful golden color when it’s cooked with turmeric, and it has a lovely subtle flavor that pairs perfectly with the savory teriyaki sauce.
- To make this dish, simply stir-fry some beef strips in a little oil until they’re browned.
- Then, add in your favorite vegetables. I like to use bell peppers, onions, and broccoli.
- Once the veggies are cooked to your liking, add in the prepared yellow rice and the teriyaki sauce.
- Give everything a good stir until it’s evenly mixed, then serve hot.
21. Teriyaki Chicken
Teriyaki chicken and yellow rice go well together because they’re both fairly mild in flavor.
The rice is a great canvas for the chicken’s sweet and savory sauce.
Plus, the rice will absorb some of the sauce, making it even more flavorful.
To round out the meal, you can add a simple vegetable like steamed broccoli.
The green color will contrast nicely with the yellow rice, and the veggie will add some extra nutrients to the dish.
For a complete meal, pair this yellow rice dish with a side of teriyaki chicken and steamed broccoli.
22. Honey Glazed Ham
Have you ever tried honey glazed ham with yellow rice?
I can easily recommend this dish, because it is absolutely delicious.
The sweet and savory flavors of the ham pair perfectly with the slightly nutty flavor of the rice.
Plus, the yellow color of the rice is so pretty against the pink of the ham.
I like to add a few green peas to my yellow rice for some extra color and nutrition.
This dish is simple yet elegant, and it makes a great impress-your-guests meal.
- To make it, start by cooking your rice according to package directions.
- Then, glaze your ham with a mixture of honey, Dijon mustard, and rosemary.
- Roast in a 350 degree oven until heated through and glazed.
- Serve with the cooked yellow rice and peas.
Lastly, you can also serve roasted Brussels sprouts with yellow rice.
This is a great option if you’re looking for something a little more substantial than a salad.
The Brussels sprouts will add some heartiness and depth of flavor to the dish, while still complementing the rice nicely.
- To roast the Brussels sprouts, simply toss them in olive oil and sea salt.
- Then, roast in a preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve alongside your yellow rice and enjoy!
What Meat Goes Good with Yellow Rice?
There are many different meats that go well with yellow rice. Some of the most popular include chicken, pork, beef, and shrimp. You can also mix and match different meats to create a unique dish. Whatever meat you choose, make sure it is cooked properly to ensure the best flavor.
What Vegetable Goes Good with Yellow Rice?
There are many vegetables that go well with yellow rice, including peas, carrots, green beans, and corn. You can also add in some diced tomatoes or mushrooms for extra flavor.
What to Add to Yellow Rice?
There are many things you can add to yellow rice to make it more flavorful and interesting. For example, you could add sauteed onions, green peppers, and garlic. You could also add diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, or other vegetables. Finally, you could top it with shredded cheese, chopped green onions, or sour cream.
What to Serve with Yellow Rice (23 Tasty Sides & Options)
- Garlic Bread
- Grilled Chicken
- Garlic Grilled Shrimp
- Pork Chops
- Beef Tacos
- Roasted Vegetables
- Your Favorite Salad Recipe
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Steamed Rice
- Lo Mein
- Chicken Chow Mein
- 20-Minute Moo Shu Pork
- Singapore Noodles
- Pad Thai
- Drunken Noodles (Pad Kee Mao)
- Chicken Khao Soi
- Crab Rangoon (Crab & Cream Cheese filled Wontons)
- Egg Rolls
- Teriyaki Beef Stir Fry
- Teriyaki Chicken
- Honey Glazed Ham
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Pick your favorite recipe from this list to serve with your yellow rice.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time