If you’re a fan of crab rangoon, then you know that the right sauce can make or break your experience.
From sweet and sour to spicy and savory, there are plenty of sauces out there that pair perfectly with this delicious appetizer.
But how do you choose which one is best for your particular dish?
With so many options available, it can be difficult to decide.
Here I will share my top ten favorite sauces for crab rangoon – from classic recipes to creative takes on traditional flavors.
Whether you’re looking for something simple or something unique, these sauces will take your crab rangoon to the next level!
What Are Crab Rangoons?
Crab Rangoons are a popular appetizer in Chinese-American cuisine.
They consist of a wonton wrapper filled with a mixture of cream cheese, crab meat, and seasonings such as garlic and onion powder.
The wontons are then deep-fried until golden brown and crispy.
The origin of Crab Rangoons is unclear but they have been served in Chinese restaurants since the 1950s.
It is believed that they were created by Chinese immigrants who wanted to recreate the flavors of their homeland using ingredients available in America at the time.
Today, Crab Rangoons can be found on menus across the United States and Canada.
Crab Rangoons are usually served with sweet chili sauce or duck sauce for dipping, although some people prefer to eat them plain or with soy sauce or hot mustard.
They make an excellent appetizer for any occasion!
The 10 Best Sauces for Crab Rangoon
Crab Rangoon is a delicious appetizer, but it can be made even better with the right sauce.
Here are ten of the best sauces for Crab Rangoon that will take your dish to the next level:
1. Sweet and Sour Sauce
Sweet and Sour Sauce is a condiment made from a combination of sweet and sour ingredients, such as sugar, vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and other spices.
It is commonly used in Chinese cuisine to add flavor to dishes like crab Rangoons.
- Taste: Sweet and Sour Sauce has a tangy-sweet flavor that comes from the combination of sweet ingredients like sugar or honey with sour ingredients like vinegar or lemon juice. The addition of spices gives it an extra depth of flavor.
- Texture: Sweet and Sour Sauce has a thick consistency that coats food easily without being too runny or watery.
- Common Uses: Sweet and Sour Sauce is most commonly used as a dipping sauce for fried foods such as egg rolls or crab Rangoons. It can also be used as a marinade for meats before grilling or baking them. Additionally, it can be added to stir-fries for extra flavor.
2. Honey Garlic Sauce
Honey garlic sauce is a sweet and savory condiment made from honey, garlic, soy sauce, and other ingredients.
It is commonly used as a dipping sauce for fried foods such as crab Rangoons or egg rolls.
- Taste: The flavor of honey garlic sauce is sweet and garlicky with a hint of umami from the soy sauce. It has a thick consistency that coats whatever it’s served with.
- Texture: Honey garlic sauce has a smooth texture that clings to food without being too runny or too thick.
- Common Uses: In addition to being served as a dipping sauce for fried foods like crab Rangoons or egg rolls, honey garlic sauce can also be used in stir-fries, marinades, glazes for meats and vegetables, and even salad dressings.
3. Yum Yum Sauce
Yum Yum Sauce is a creamy, sweet and tangy condiment that originated in Japan.
It’s made with mayonnaise, ketchup, sugar, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika.
The sauce has a smooth texture and a slightly pinkish hue from the ketchup.
- Texture: The texture of yum yum sauce is creamy and thick but not overly heavy or greasy. It coats food nicely without being too overpowering or overwhelming.
- Creative Ideas: Yum yum sauce can be used as a dip for fried foods such as crab Rangoons or tempura vegetables. It also makes an excellent topping for burgers, sandwiches and salads. You can even use it to make your own version of Japanese-style mayo by mixing it with regular mayonnaise in equal parts.
4. Asian Sweet Sesame Sauce
Asian sweet sesame sauce is a thick, creamy condiment made from sesame paste, sugar, and other seasonings.
It has a nutty flavor with hints of sweetness and can be used as a dipping sauce or marinade for various dishes.
- Texture: The texture of the sauce is smooth and creamy with a slightly sticky consistency.
- Creative Ideas: Asian sweet sesame sauce can be used in many creative ways. It’s great as a dip for crab Rangoons or egg rolls, as well as an accompaniment to grilled meats such as chicken or pork. It also makes an excellent glaze for roasted vegetables like carrots and broccoli. Additionally, it can be used to make flavorful stir-fries or noodle dishes by adding it to cooked noodles along with your favorite vegetables and proteins.
5. Orange Sauce
Orange sauce is a sweet and tangy condiment made from orange juice, sugar, and vinegar.
It is often used as a dipping sauce for fried foods such as crab Rangoons or egg rolls.
- Texture: Orange sauce has a thick consistency that coats the food it’s served with. The sweetness of the orange juice balances out the tartness of the vinegar, creating an overall flavor that is both sweet and sour.
- Creative Ideas: Orange sauce can also be used to add flavor to other dishes such as stir-fries or salads. It can also be used in marinades for meats or vegetables, or even drizzled over ice cream for a unique dessert topping!
6. Sesame Ginger Dressing
Sesame ginger dressing is a creamy, savory-sweet condiment made with sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey or sugar, and fresh ginger.
It’s often used as a dipping sauce for Asian dishes such as crab rangoons or egg rolls.
- Texture: The texture of sesame ginger dressing is thick and creamy due to the combination of sesame oil and mayonnaise. The addition of rice vinegar gives it a slightly tart flavor while the soy sauce adds umami depth. Fresh grated ginger provides a subtle heat that balances out the sweetness from the honey or sugar.
- Creative Ideas: Sesame ginger dressing can be used in many creative ways beyond just being served as a dip for fried appetizers. Try using it as an alternative to traditional salad dressings by adding some diced cucumber and scallions for an Asian-inspired twist on your favorite greens. You can also use it as a marinade for grilled meats or vegetables, or even drizzle it over roasted potatoes for extra flavor!
7. Asian Plum Sauce
Asian plum sauce is a sweet and sour condiment made from plums, vinegar, sugar, garlic, ginger, and other spices.
It is commonly used as a dipping sauce for fried foods such as egg rolls and crab Rangoons.
- Texture: The texture of Asian plum sauce can vary depending on the recipe used. Some recipes call for blending all the ingredients together to create a smooth sauce while others leave it chunky with bits of fruit still visible.
- Creative Ideas: Asian plum sauce can be used in many creative ways beyond just being served as a dipping sauce. Try using it as an ingredient in marinades or glazes for grilled meats or vegetables; mix it into stir-fries; use it to top ice cream or frozen yogurt; drizzle over pancakes or waffles; add some to your favorite salad dressing; spread onto sandwiches instead of mayonnaise; or even use it as an ingredient in cocktails!
8. Duck Sauce
Duck sauce is a condiment made from sweet and sour ingredients, such as apricot jam, sugar, vinegar, and spices.
It is usually served with Chinese-American dishes like egg rolls or crab rangoons.
The name duck sauce comes from its traditional use as an accompaniment to Peking duck.
- Texture: Duck sauce has a thick texture that coats the food it’s served with. Its flavor is sweet and tangy at the same time, making it a great complement to savory dishes like crab rangoons.
- Creative Ideas: Duck sauce can be used in more creative ways than just as a dipping sauce for fried foods. Try adding some to your favorite stir fry recipes or using it as a glaze on grilled meats or vegetables. You can also mix it into mayonnaise for sandwiches or salads for an extra kick of flavor!
9. Chili Sauce
Chili sauce is a condiment made from chili peppers, vinegar, sugar, and other ingredients.
It can range in flavor from sweet to spicy and is often used as a dipping sauce for foods such as crab rangoons.
- Texture: Chili sauce has a thick texture that clings to food well. It’s not too runny or watery like some sauces can be.
- Creative Ideas: Chili sauce isn’t just for dipping! Try using it as an ingredient in marinades or stir-fries, or even use it to top off your favorite tacos or burritos. You can also mix it with mayonnaise for a delicious sandwich spread.
10. Spicy Mayo Sauce
Spicy mayo sauce is a condiment made from mayonnaise, chili peppers, and other spices.
It is often used as a dipping sauce for fried foods such as crab rangoons, tempura vegetables, or french fries.
- Texture: The texture of spicy mayo sauce can vary depending on the ingredients used to make it. Generally speaking, it has a creamy consistency with just enough heat to give it some kick.
- Creative Ideas: Spicy mayo sauce can be used in many different ways beyond being served as a dip. Try using it as a spread for sandwiches or wraps; adding it to macaroni and cheese for an extra zing; drizzling over tacos or burritos; or even using it as the base for salad dressings.
In conclusion, crab rangoon is a delicious dish that can be enjoyed in many different ways.
To make it even more flavorful, there are a variety of sauces available to pair with it.
The best sauces for crab rangoon include sweet and sour sauce, ginger-garlic dipping sauce, pink sauce, sesame sauce, orange sauce, tamari ginger sauce, plum sauce, duck sauce, chili sauce, and spicy mayo sauce.
Each of these sauces offers its own unique flavor and texture that can bring out the best in your crab rangoon.
With such a wide variety of sauces to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect combination to make your crab rangoon even more delicious.
The 10 Best Sauces for Crab Rangoon
- Sweet and Sour Sauce
- Honey Garlic Sauce
- Yum Yum Sauce
- Asian Sweet Sesame Sauce
- Orange Sauce
- Sesame Ginger Dressing
- Asian Plum Sauce
- Duck Sauce
- Chili Sauce
- Spicy Mayo Sauce
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a sauce recipe in 30 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.