Chicken broccoli casserole is a classic comfort food that never fails to satisfy.
The combination of creamy chicken and crunchy broccoli creates a delicious balance, making it the perfect weeknight dinner.
But what should you serve with this beloved dish?
A classic chicken broccoli casserole pairs well with a side salad, roasted vegetables, garlic bread, mashed potatoes, or noodles. For something more indulgent, try serving it with cheesy grits or mac and cheese. A glass of white wine is the perfect accompaniment for this dish!
But finding the right side dishes can be tricky – but don’t worry!
Here are 10 of the best sides to pair with your chicken broccoli casserole for an unforgettable meal.
Read Also: What To Serve With Broccoli? 10 Best Side Dishes
Why Consider Serving Side Dishes with Chicken Broccoli Casserole?
Serving side dishes with chicken broccoli casserole is a great way to round out the meal.
- First, adding sides can help balance out the flavors of the dish. For example, if you serve a creamy casserole like chicken broccoli, adding something acidic or crunchy like a salad or roasted vegetables can provide contrast and make for an interesting flavor profile.
- Second, serving side dishes allows you to add more nutrition to your meal. You can choose sides that are high in fiber and vitamins such as steamed greens or roasted root vegetables.
- Third, it gives everyone at the table more options so they can customize their plate according to their own tastes and dietary needs. This makes it easier for everyone to enjoy the meal without feeling restricted by what’s on offer.
What To Serve With Chicken Broccoli Casserole – 10 Best Side Dishes
Chicken broccoli casserole is a hearty, comforting dish that can be served as a main course or side.
But what should you serve alongside it?
Here are ten of the best side dishes to complement your chicken broccoli casserole:
1 – Creamy Tomato Soup
Creamy tomato soup is a classic comfort food that combines the sweetness of tomatoes with the creaminess of milk or cream.
It’s a simple and delicious dish that can be enjoyed as an appetizer, side dish, or main course.
- Adding herbs such as basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, or parsley to give it more flavor.
- Substituting vegetable broth for chicken broth to make it vegetarian friendly.
- Using canned diced tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes for convenience.
- Adding cooked vegetables such as carrots and celery to add texture and nutrition.
- Swapping out heavy cream for half & half or Greek yogurt to lighten up the soup without sacrificing flavor.
2 – Herbed Dinner Rolls
Herbed dinner rolls are a type of bread roll made with herbs and spices.
They are usually served as an accompaniment to a main course, such as chicken or beef.
The dough is typically made from flour, yeast, butter, salt, sugar, and water.
The herbs and spices used vary depending on the recipe but can include rosemary, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika or other seasonings.
- Substitute whole wheat flour for all-purpose flour
- Add chopped fresh herbs instead of dried
- Use olive oil instead of butter
- Add grated cheese to the dough
- Replace some of the water with beer or white wine for added flavor
3 – Bell Pepper Salad
Bell pepper salad is a dish made with bell peppers, usually in combination with other vegetables and herbs.
It can be served as an appetizer or side dish, and is often dressed with olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.
- Add diced tomatoes for a burst of flavor
- Swap out the bell peppers for jalapenos to add some heat
- Use red onions instead of white for more color
- Add feta cheese for a salty kick
- Mix in cooked quinoa or couscous for added texture
- Top with fresh herbs like parsley or basil
4 – Sautéed Mushrooms
Sautéed mushrooms are a classic side dish that can be served with any meal. They are made by sautéing mushrooms in butter or oil until they are golden brown and tender.
The mushrooms can be seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, herbs, or other spices to add flavor.
- Add diced onions for extra flavor
- Use white wine instead of water when cooking the mushrooms
- Substitute olive oil for butter
- Add fresh herbs such as thyme or rosemary
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese before serving
- Serve over toast points or rice
5 – Smoked Jalapeno Cheddar Creamed Corn
Smoked Jalapeno Cheddar Creamed Corn is a classic comfort food dish that combines the smoky flavor of jalapenos with the creamy texture of cheddar cheese and corn.
The result is a delicious side dish that pairs perfectly with chicken, steak, or pork.
- Substitute smoked jalapenos for fresh jalapenos to add an extra layer of smokiness to the dish.
- Use sharp cheddar cheese instead of mild for more intense flavor.
- Add diced bell peppers for added crunch and color.
- Top with crumbled bacon for an extra salty kick.
- Stir in some cooked quinoa or brown rice for added protein and fiber.
6 – Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Roasted sweet potatoes are a classic side dish that is easy to make and full of flavor.
Sweet potatoes are roasted in the oven until they become tender and caramelized on the outside, while still maintaining their creamy texture inside.
- Adding spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice can give your roasted sweet potatoes an extra kick of flavor.
- Chopping up some fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme before roasting will add a fragrant aroma to your dish.
- For added crunch, try adding some chopped nuts like walnuts or pecans to the mix before baking.
- If you want to add a bit of sweetness, drizzle some honey over the top before serving.
7 – Fruit Salad
Fruit salad is a dish consisting of various kinds of fruit, sometimes served in a liquid, either their own juices or a syrup.
In different forms, fruit salad can be served as an appetizer, side dish, or dessert.
- Add nuts and seeds for crunch
- Use yogurt instead of cream for a healthier option
- Swap out the sugar for honey or agave nectar
- Try adding spices like cinnamon and nutmeg to give it more flavor
- Mix in some vegetables like cucumber and bell peppers for added nutrition
- Top with granola or coconut flakes for texture
8 – Baked Potato Wedges
Baked potato wedges are a delicious side dish made from potatoes that have been cut into wedges and baked in the oven.
They can be served as an accompaniment to a main course, or as a snack with dips and sauces.
Baked potato wedges are best served hot, straight out of the oven.
Serve them with your favorite dip or sauce such as sour cream, ranch dressing, ketchup, or BBQ sauce.
You can also top them with cheese and bacon bits for extra flavor.
For a more substantial meal, serve them alongside grilled chicken or steak and vegetables.
9 – Oven Roasted Honey Garlic Butter Carrots
Oven Roasted Honey Garlic Butter Carrots are a delicious side dish made with carrots, honey, garlic, butter and herbs.
The carrots are roasted in the oven until they are tender and caramelized. The honey garlic butter sauce adds an extra layer of flavor to the dish that makes it irresistible.
Oven Roasted Honey Garlic Butter Carrots can be served as a side dish for any meal.
They pair well with grilled or roasted meats such as chicken or steak, and also go great with fish dishes like salmon or cod.
They can also be served alongside creamy soups like Creamy Tomato Soup for a comforting meal.
10 – Garlic Toast
Garlic toast is a simple dish made by topping slices of toasted bread with garlic butter or olive oil and herbs.
It can be served as an appetizer, side dish, or snack.
- It can be topped with cheese and baked for a cheesy garlic bread, used as the base for bruschetta, or served alongside soups and salads.
- For an extra flavorful twist, try adding fresh herbs such as parsley or basil to the butter before spreading it on the toast.
- You can also top your garlic toast with sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions, roasted tomatoes, olives, capers, anchovies – the possibilities are endless!
In conclusion, the best way to round out a delicious chicken broccoli casserole dinner is with a selection of side dishes.
The best side dishes to serve with chicken broccoli casserole are creamy tomato soup, herbed dinner rolls, bell pepper salad, sautéed mushrooms, smoked jalapeno cheddar creamed corn, roasted sweet potatoes, fruit salad, baked potato wedges, oven-roasted honey garlic butter carrots, and garlic toast.
By combining all of these side dishes, you can create a complete meal that is full of flavor, nutrition, and variety.
With this combination of side dishes, you can make sure that everyone at the table is satisfied.
What To Serve With Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Herbed Dinner Rolls
- Bell Pepper Salad
- Sautéed Mushrooms
- Smoked Jalapeno Cheddar Creamed Corn
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Fruit Salad
- Baked Potato Wedges
- Oven Roasted Honey Garlic Butter Carrots
- Garlic Toast
- Select your favorite side dish recipe.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a side dish in 25 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.