Are you wondering what to serve with chicken casserole?
Chicken casserole is a classic comfort food dish that is perfect for weeknight dinners, potlucks, and more.
But if you are stumped on what sides to serve with it, then you have come to the right place.
I’m sharing 10 of the best side dishes to serve with chicken casserole – from roasted vegetables and potatoes to salads and more.
Whether you are looking for something light or something comforting, there is sure to be something on this list that will make your chicken casserole even tastier!
Why Consider Serving Side Dishes with Chicken Casserole?
Serving side dishes with chicken casserole is a great way to add variety and flavor to the meal.
Side dishes can help balance out the flavors of the casserole, as well as provide additional nutrients and texture.
For example, if you are serving a creamy chicken casserole, adding a light salad or steamed vegetables will help cut through some of the richness.
If your casserole has bold flavors like garlic or herbs, consider pairing it with something milder such as mashed potatoes or roasted root vegetables.
Side dishes also offer an opportunity to introduce new ingredients into your meal that may not be included in the main dish itself.
This could include items like fresh fruit, nuts, grains, legumes, or even pickles!
Additionally, side dishes can be used to add color and visual appeal to your plate – think bright green broccoli florets next to golden-brown baked chicken!
Finally, side dishes are an easy way to increase portion size without having to make more of the same dish – perfect for larger families or dinner parties!
What To Serve With Chicken Casserole – 10 Best Side Dishes
Chicken casserole is a comforting and delicious dish, but it can be challenging to think of what side dishes go best with it.
Here are ten side dishes that will pair perfectly with your chicken casserole:
1 – Quinoa Salad
Quinoa salad is a popular side dish for chicken casserole.
It is made with cooked quinoa, vegetables, and herbs that are tossed in a light vinaigrette dressing.
The combination of flavors makes it the perfect accompaniment to any main course.
- Chopped bell peppers
- Diced tomatoes
- Sliced cucumbers
- Chopped red onions
- Roasted corn kernels
- Cooked black beans or chickpeas
- Toasted nuts or seeds (such as almonds, walnuts, sunflower seeds)
- Fresh herbs (such as parsley, basil, oregano)
2 – Honey Glazed Carrots
Honey glazed carrots are a simple side dish that can be served with any meal.
The carrots are cooked in butter and honey, giving them a sweet and savory flavor.
They are easy to make and require only a few ingredients.
- To add more flavor to the dish, you can add other ingredients such as garlic, ginger, or even orange zest.
- You can also top the carrots with fresh herbs like parsley or chives for an extra burst of flavor.
- For added texture, try adding chopped nuts or seeds like almonds or sunflower seeds before serving.
3 – Rainbow Fruit Salad
Rainbow Fruit Salad is a colorful and flavorful dish made with fresh fruits of various colors.
It can be served as a side dish or dessert, and it’s an easy way to add some extra nutrition to any meal.
- Orange slices
- Mango chunks
- Pineapple chunks
4 – Broccoli and Lemon
Broccoli and lemon is a classic side dish that pairs the earthy flavor of broccoli with the bright, acidic taste of lemon.
The combination creates a flavorful and nutritious accompaniment to any meal.
- Add garlic for an extra punch of flavor.
- Use olive oil instead of butter for a healthier option.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top for added richness.
- Roast the broccoli in the oven for a crispy texture and nutty flavor.
- Toss in some red pepper flakes or chili powder for a spicy kick!
- Add some fresh herbs like parsley or basil to brighten up the dish even more!
5 – Lemon Rice
Lemon Rice is a classic side dish that combines cooked rice with lemon juice, butter, and seasonings.
It’s a simple yet flavorful accompaniment to many dishes, including chicken casserole.
To make this dish even more delicious, try adding some of the following ingredients:
- Chopped fresh parsley or dill for an herby flavor
- Sliced almonds or pine nuts for crunch
- Dried cranberries or raisins for sweetness
- Grated Parmesan cheese for saltiness
- Minced garlic or shallots for extra flavor
6 – Brussels Sprouts with Garlic and Bacon
Brussels sprouts with garlic and bacon is a classic side dish that combines the earthy flavor of Brussels sprouts with the salty, smoky flavor of bacon.
The combination of these two ingredients creates a delicious and savory side dish that pairs well with many main courses.
To make this classic side dish even more flavorful, try adding some of these tasty changes:
- Substitute pancetta for bacon to add an extra layer of richness
- Add diced onions or shallots for sweetness
- Use smoked paprika instead of regular paprika for a smokier flavor
- Add red pepper flakes for heat
- Top with grated Parmesan cheese before serving
- Drizzle balsamic vinegar over the top before serving for added acidity
- Roast in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until golden brown and crispy
7 – Roasted Asparagus
Roasted asparagus is a simple and delicious side dish that can be served with any meal.
It is made by roasting fresh asparagus spears in the oven until they are lightly browned and tender.
The result is a flavorful vegetable dish that pairs well with many main courses, including chicken casserole.
To make roasted asparagus even more flavorful, try adding some of these ingredients to the mix:
- Olive oil – adds flavor and helps the vegetables roast evenly
- Garlic – adds an aromatic flavor
- Parmesan cheese – gives a salty, nutty taste
- Lemon juice – brightens up the flavors
- Red pepper flakes – adds a bit of heat
- Fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme – enhances the earthy flavor of the asparagus
8 – Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Baked sweet potato fries are a delicious and healthy side dish that can be served with any meal.
They are made by cutting sweet potatoes into thin strips, tossing them in oil, and baking them until they are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Add spices such as garlic powder, paprika, or cumin to give your fries an extra kick of flavor.
- Drizzle honey over the top for a hint of sweetness.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top for a cheesy twist.
- Toss with fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme before baking for an herby flavor boost.
- Mix in some diced bell peppers or onions for added texture and flavor complexity.
- Top with crumbled bacon bits for a salty crunchy topping that will take your fries to the next level!
9 – Garlic Roasted Green Beans
Garlic roasted green beans are a delicious side dish that can be served with any meal.
The green beans are tossed in olive oil, garlic, and herbs before being roasted in the oven until they are tender and lightly browned.
This simple yet flavorful dish is sure to please everyone at the table!
- Add some Parmesan cheese for an extra cheesy flavor.
- Swap out the olive oil for butter or bacon fat for a richer taste.
- Use fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme instead of dried herbs for more intense flavor.
- Add some diced onion or shallots to give it an extra kick of flavor and texture.
- Sprinkle on some red pepper flakes for a bit of heat and color contrast.
- Toss in some chopped nuts like almonds or walnuts for added crunchiness and nutty flavor notes
10 – Fresh Garden Salad
A fresh garden salad is a classic side dish that can be served with any meal.
It typically consists of lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, and other vegetables such as bell peppers or onions.
The vegetables are usually tossed in a light vinaigrette dressing for added flavor.
To make your fresh garden salad more interesting, try adding some of the following ingredients:
- Grated cheese (such as Parmesan or cheddar)
- Chopped nuts (such as walnuts or almonds)
- Dried fruit (such as cranberries or raisins)
- Fresh herbs (such as basil or parsley)
- Roasted vegetables (such as red peppers or eggplant)
- Cooked grains (such as quinoa or farro)
- Beans and legumes (such as chickpeas or lentils)
- Avocado slices for creaminess and texture
In conclusion, when serving chicken casserole, there are a variety of delicious side dishes that you can choose from to create a balanced meal.
The best side dishes to serve with chicken casserole are quinoa salad, honey glazed carrots, rainbow fruit salad, broccoli and lemon, lemon rice, Brussels sprouts with garlic and bacon, roasted asparagus, baked sweet potato fries, garlic roasted green beans, and a fresh garden salad.
All of these dishes are easy to prepare, full of flavor, and will complement the chicken casserole perfectly.
What To Serve With Chicken Casserole – 10 Best Side Dishes
- Quinoa Salad
- Honey Glazed Carrots
- Rainbow Fruit Salad
- Broccoli and Lemon
- Lemon Rice
- Brussels Sprouts with Garlic and Bacon
- Roasted Asparagus
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Garlic Roasted Green Beans
- Fresh Garden Salad
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a side dish in 25 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.