If you’re looking to add something special to your dinner table, a broccoli casserole is an easy and tasty way to do it.
But what do you serve with this classic dish?
Broccoli casserole pairs well with a variety of side dishes, including roasted potatoes, steamed rice, garlic bread, green beans almondine, and macaroni and cheese. For a lighter option, serve the casserole with a crisp salad or fresh fruit.
I have the answer!
From refreshing salads to hearty roasted potatoes, I’ve compiled 11 of the best side dishes for broccoli casserole that will transform any meal into a delicious feast.
From creamy deviled eggs topped with crispy bacon bits, to rainbow slaw and cheesy rolls, these sides are sure to tantalize your taste buds.
Whether you prefer lighter pairings or more robust options, these dishes will complement the heartiness of your broccoli casserole perfectly.
So don’t hesitate—start pairing today and make your meal truly memorable!
Why Consider Serving Side Dishes with Broccoli Casserole?
- Side dishes can help to balance out the flavors of a broccoli casserole. For example, serving a light salad or roasted vegetables alongside the casserole can add freshness and crunch to contrast with the creamy texture of the dish.
- Serving side dishes with broccoli casserole also helps to make it more filling and nutritious. Adding in some grains like quinoa or couscous, as well as legumes such as lentils or chickpeas, will provide additional protein and fiber that will help keep you full for longer.
- Finally, side dishes are an easy way to add variety to your meal. You can mix up different flavors by adding in different types of salads, roasted vegetables, grains, and legumes each time you serve broccoli casserole so that you don’t get bored with eating the same thing over and over again!
What To Serve With Broccoli Casserole – 11 Best Side Dishes
Broccoli casserole is a great side dish to serve at any dinner party.
But what do you serve with it?
Here are 11 delicious sides that will make the perfect accompaniments to your broccoli casserole:
- What Is It? Roasted vegetables are a great side dish to serve with broccoli casserole. Roasting is a simple cooking method that brings out the natural sweetness of vegetables while adding a delicious crunchy texture. To make roasted vegetables, simply toss your favorite veggies in olive oil and seasonings, spread them on a baking sheet, and roast in the oven until they’re golden brown and tender.
- Customizations: You can customize your roasted vegetable dish by using different types of vegetables or adding herbs and spices for extra flavor. Some popular combinations include carrots, potatoes, onions, bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, squash, eggplant, garlic cloves and tomatoes. For added flavor you can also add fresh herbs such as rosemary or thyme; dried herbs like oregano or basil; or spices like paprika or chili powder.
2. Quinoa Salad
- What Is It? Quinoa salad is another great side dish to serve with broccoli casserole. It is made by combining cooked quinoa, vegetables, and herbs in a light vinaigrette dressing. The quinoa provides a nutty flavor and chewy texture that pairs well with the creamy cheese sauce of the casserole.
- Customizations: To customize your quinoa salad, you can add any combination of vegetables such as tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, or mushrooms. You can also add nuts or seeds for crunch and dried fruit for sweetness. For extra flavor, try adding fresh herbs like parsley or basil or spices like curry powder or smoked paprika. Finally, top it off with a flavorful vinaigrette dressing to bring all the flavors together!
- What Is It? Baked sweet potatoes are a delicious and nutritious side dish that pairs perfectly with casseroles. Sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins, minerals, and fiber, making them an excellent addition to any meal. To make this side dish, simply preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and bake the sweet potatoes for 45 minutes or until they are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Customizations: This simple recipe can be customized in many ways. For added flavor, try brushing the sweet potatoes with melted butter before baking or sprinkling them with cinnamon sugar after baking. You can also top your baked sweet potatoes with cheese, bacon bits, chives, or other toppings of your choice for extra flavor and texture.
- What Is It? Roasted Garlic Butter Parmesan Potatoes is a delicious side dish that pairs perfectly with casseroles. This recipe combines potatoes, garlic, butter, and Parmesan cheese for a savory and flavorful combination. The potatoes are roasted in the oven until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside while remaining soft and tender on the inside.
- Customizations: To customize this side dish to your own tastes, you can add other ingredients such as herbs or spices. You can also switch out the Parmesan cheese for another type of cheese such as cheddar or mozzarella. Additionally, you can use different types of potatoes such as red potatoes or sweet potatoes instead of russet potatoes.
5. Mashed or Hasselback Potatoes
- What Is It? Hasselback potatoes are a classic Swedish side dish that consists of thinly sliced potatoes baked in the oven until crispy and golden. The slices are usually arranged so they fan out like an accordion, giving them their signature look. They can be served as a side dish or as an appetizer.
- Customizations: Hasselback potatoes can be customized with various toppings such as cheese, herbs, bacon bits, sour cream, and chives. You can also add spices to the potato slices before baking for extra flavor. For example, try sprinkling garlic powder or paprika over the top of the potatoes before baking for a flavorful twist on this classic dish.
- What Is It? Wild rice pilaf is a flavorful side dish made with wild rice, vegetables, and herbs. The wild rice is cooked in a flavorful broth until it’s tender and fluffy, then combined with sautéed vegetables like mushrooms, onions, celery, and carrots. Herbs such as thyme or rosemary add an extra layer of flavor to the dish.
- Customizations: Wild rice pilaf can be customized to suit any taste or dietary preference. For a vegetarian version of the dish, omit the chicken broth and use vegetable broth instead. To make it vegan-friendly, replace the butter with olive oil or coconut oil. You can also add other ingredients such as nuts or dried fruit for added texture and flavor.
7. Lentil Salad
- What Is It? Lentil salad is a simple and tasty side dish that can be served warm or cold. It’s made with cooked lentils, vegetables, herbs, and a flavorful dressing. The combination of ingredients creates a hearty and nutritious dish that pairs well with grilled meats or fish.
- Customizations: Lentil salad can be customized to suit your tastes by adding different types of vegetables such as bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, celery, onions, garlic or mushrooms. You can also add nuts like walnuts or almonds for crunch. For added flavor you can include fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro as well as spices such as cumin or coriander. Finally top it off with a tangy vinaigrette dressing for the perfect finishing touch!
- What Is It? Sauteed greens is a simple and tasty side dish that can be made with any type of leafy green. The greens are cooked in a skillet with oil, garlic, and seasonings until they are wilted and tender. This dish is an easy way to add flavor and nutrition to any meal.
- Customizations: Sauteed greens can be customized to suit your taste by adding different herbs or spices such as oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, or cumin. You can also add other vegetables such as onions or bell peppers for more flavor and texture. For a heartier side dish, try adding cooked beans or diced potatoes before serving.
- What Is It? Caprese salad with balsamic glaze is a classic Italian side dish that combines fresh tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil leaves. The salad is dressed with a sweet and tangy balsamic glaze for an added layer of flavor. This simple yet flavorful dish can be served as an appetizer or side dish to any meal.
- Customizations: To customize this caprese salad, you can add other ingredients such as olives, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers, or grilled zucchini. You can also switch up the type of cheese used in the recipe; try using burrata instead of mozzarella for a creamier texture. For extra sweetness and acidity, drizzle honey over the top before serving.
- What Is It? Kale Caesar Salad is a delicious and healthy side dish that combines the classic flavors of Caesar salad with the nutritional benefits of kale. The salad is made with fresh kale, croutons, Parmesan cheese, and a creamy dressing made from mayonnaise, anchovies, garlic, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Customizations: This recipe can be customized to suit your tastes. For a vegan version of this salad, replace the mayonnaise in the dressing with vegan-friendly ingredients such as tahini or avocado. To add more flavor to the dish, try adding roasted vegetables such as bell peppers or mushrooms. You can also top it off with grilled chicken or shrimp for an extra protein boost!
- What Is It? Lentil & Roasted Eggplant Salad is a delicious and nutritious side dish. This salad combines cooked lentils, roasted eggplant, tomatoes, red onion, parsley, and feta cheese with a simple vinaigrette dressing. The combination of flavors creates a unique and flavorful dish that can be served as an accompaniment to any meal or enjoyed on its own.
- Customizations: This salad can easily be customized to suit your tastes. For example, you could add other vegetables such as bell peppers or zucchini for more color and flavor. You could also substitute the feta cheese for goat cheese or another type of cheese if desired. Additionally, you could use different types of lentils such as black beluga lentils or French green lentils for added texture and flavor. Finally, you could switch up the herbs used in the vinaigrette dressing by using basil instead of parsley or adding some fresh oregano leaves for an extra kick of flavor!
In conclusion, broccoli casserole is a delicious and versatile dish that can be served as a main course or a side.
To make it a complete meal, it’s important to pair it with the right side dishes.
Some of the best side dishes to serve with broccoli casserole are roasted vegetables, quinoa salad, baked sweet potatoes, roasted potatoes, hasselback potatoes, wild rice pilaf, lentils and chickpeas, sautéed greens, tomato and mozzarella salad, and kale caesar salad.
These side dishes will help to round out your meal and make it more filling and satisfying.
What To Serve With Broccoli Casserole – 11 Best Side Dishes
- Roasted Vegetables
- Quinoa Salad
- Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Butter Parmesan Potatoes
- Hasselback Potatoes
- Wild Rice Pilaf
- Lentil Salad
- Sauteed Greens
- Caprese Salad with Balsamic Glaze
- Kale Caesar Salad
- Lentil & Roasted Eggplant Salad
- Select your favorite side dish recipe.
- Prepare and organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a side dish in 30 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.