If you’re looking for a delicious and comforting meal, sweet potato soup is the way to go.
This hearty dish is full of flavor and can be served as an appetizer or main course.
But what should you serve with it?
When serving sweet potato soup, it pairs well with a variety of sides. Try roasted vegetables, grilled cheese sandwiches, cornbread muffins, or bacon-wrapped asparagus for some savory options. For something sweeter, serve the soup with honey butter biscuits or cinnamon toast.
The right side dishes can take your sweet potato soup from good to great!
In this article, I’ll be sharing my top 10 choices for the best sides to pair with sweet potato soup.
From roasted vegetables and garlic bread to salads and fruit, there are plenty of options that will make your meal complete.
So let’s get started!
Read Also: The 10 Best Toppings for Potato Soup
Why Consider Serving Side Dishes with Sweet Potato Soup?
Serving side dishes with sweet potato soup can add a variety of flavors, textures, and colors to the meal.
- First, adding crunchy sides like croutons or roasted nuts will provide a contrast to the creamy texture of the soup.
- Second, serving something acidic like pickled vegetables or a citrus salad will help balance out the sweetness of the potatoes in the soup.
- Finally, incorporating fresh herbs into your side dish will bring an extra layer of flavor that complements both sweet and savory elements in your soup.
All these components together create an enjoyable and balanced meal that everyone can enjoy!
What To Serve With Sweet Potato Soup – 10 Best Side Dishes
Sweet potato soup is a delicious and comforting dish, but it can be tricky to figure out what to serve with it.
Here are ten side dishes that will pair perfectly with sweet potato soup:
1 – Mixed Vegetable Salad
- What Is It? Mixed vegetable salad is a side dish made with a variety of vegetables, such as tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, onions, and carrots. The vegetables are usually chopped or diced and then tossed together in a light vinaigrette dressing.
- How To Make It: Begin by washing and chopping the vegetables into bite-sized pieces. Place them in a large bowl and add your favorite vinaigrette dressing. Toss to combine the ingredients until everything is evenly coated with the dressing. Serve chilled or at room temperature for an easy side dish that pairs well with any main course.
Read Also: What Salad Goes with Potato Soup? (12 Best Salads)
2 – Deep-fried Deviled Eggs
- What Is It? Deep-fried deviled eggs are a delicious side dish that combines the classic flavors of deviled eggs with the crunchy texture of deep-frying. The eggs are boiled, peeled, and then stuffed with a creamy filling made from mayonnaise, mustard, and other seasonings. They are then coated in breadcrumbs and fried until golden brown.
- How To Make It: Begin by boiling six large eggs for 10 minutes. Let them cool before peeling off the shells. Cut each egg in half lengthwise and scoop out the yolks into a bowl. Mash the yolks together with 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or chives, salt and pepper to taste. Fill each egg white half with some of the mixture using a spoon or piping bag fitted with a star tip. Dip each filled egg into beaten egg whites followed by breadcrumbs to coat evenly on all sides. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat and fry each egg until golden brown on both sides (about 2 minutes per side). Serve warm as an appetizer or side dish!
3 – Ham and Cheese Sliders
- What Is It? Ham and cheese sliders are a delicious side dish that is perfect for any occasion. They are small sandwiches made with ham, cheese, and other ingredients such as onions or pickles. The sandwiches are then baked in the oven until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- How To Make It: To make ham and cheese sliders, start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Next, assemble your sliders by layering slices of ham and cheese onto slider buns. Top each sandwich with a slice of onion or pickle if desired. Finally, brush the tops of the buns with melted butter before baking them in the oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and crispy on top.
4 – Authentic Canadian Poutine
What Is It?
Poutine is a classic Canadian dish that consists of french fries, cheese curds, and gravy.
The combination of the hot fries and melted cheese curds with the savory gravy makes for an irresistible side dish.
How To Make It
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Spread frozen french fries on a baking sheet in an even layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/4 cup (60 mL) vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 cups (500 mL) diced yellow onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cloves minced garlic and cook for another minute or two until fragrant.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add 1/4 cup (30 g) all-purpose flour to the pan, stirring constantly for 2 minutes until lightly golden browned.
- Slowly pour in 4 cups (1 L) beef broth while whisking continuously to prevent lumps from forming; season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Simmer sauce for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly then remove from heat; set aside while you assemble poutine platter(s).
- Place cooked french fries onto individual plates or one large platter; top with shredded cheese curds then ladle hot gravy overtop evenly before serving immediately!
5 – Macaroni Salad
- What Is It? Macaroni salad is a classic side dish made with cooked macaroni, mayonnaise, and other ingredients such as celery, onion, pickles, and seasonings. It’s often served at barbecues and potlucks.
- How To Make It: To make macaroni salad, start by cooking the macaroni according to package directions. Once it’s done cooking, drain it in a colander and rinse with cold water until cool. In a large bowl, combine the cooled macaroni with diced celery, onion, pickles (or relish), mayonnaise or Miracle Whip dressing (to taste), mustard (optional), salt and pepper (to taste). Mix everything together until evenly combined. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to allow flavors to meld together.
6 – Pakoras (Vegetable Fritters)
- What Is It? Pakoras are a popular Indian snack made with vegetables that have been dipped in a spiced chickpea flour batter and deep-fried. They are usually served as an appetizer or side dish, but can also be enjoyed as a main course. The most common vegetables used for pakoras are potatoes, onions, eggplant, cauliflower, spinach, and bell peppers.
- How To Make It: To make pakoras at home you will need the following ingredients: 1 cup of chickpea flour (also known as besan), 2 tablespoons of rice flour (optional), 1 teaspoon of cumin powder, 1 teaspoon of coriander powder, ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon of red chili powder (or to taste), salt to taste, 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro leaves (optional), and your choice of vegetables cut into small pieces. In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients until well combined. Add enough water to make a thick batter that coats the back of a spoon. Heat oil in a deep fryer or heavy bottomed pot over medium heat until it reaches 350°F/180°C on an instant read thermometer. Dip each vegetable piece into the batter one at time and carefully drop them into the hot oil using tongs or chopsticks. Fry for 3-4 minutes until golden brown then remove from the oil with tongs and place onto paper towels to drain any excess oil before serving.
7 – Crispy Buffalo Wings
- What Is It? Crispy Buffalo Wings are a classic American side dish made with chicken wings that have been deep-fried and then tossed in a spicy, tangy sauce. The wings are usually served with celery sticks and blue cheese or ranch dressing for dipping.
- How To Make It: To make crispy buffalo wings, start by cutting the tips off of the chicken wings and discarding them. Then, season the wings with salt and pepper before coating them in flour. Next, deep fry the wings until they’re golden brown and crispy. Finally, toss the fried wings in a mixture of melted butter and hot sauce before serving with celery sticks and blue cheese or ranch dressing for dipping.
8 – Cornbread
- What Is It? Cornbread is a type of bread made from cornmeal, flour, eggs, butter or oil, and milk. It is usually baked in a skillet or pan and can be served as a side dish with meals such as chili or barbecued meats.
- How To Make It: Making cornbread is easy! Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, mix together 1 cup of cornmeal, 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of baking powder and ½ teaspoon of salt. In another bowl whisk together 1 egg and ¾ cup of milk until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Grease an 8-inch round cake pan with butter or oil then pour the batter into it. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on top. Let cool before serving!
9 – Baked Beans
- What Is It? Baked beans are a classic side dish made from navy beans, molasses, and bacon. The combination of sweet and savory flavors makes them a favorite for barbecues and potlucks.
- How To Make It: To make baked beans, start by soaking the navy beans overnight in water. Drain the beans and transfer to a large pot with enough fresh water to cover them by 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the beans are tender but not mushy, about 1 hour. Drain off any excess liquid and transfer the cooked beans to an oven-safe baking dish. Add molasses, brown sugar, ketchup, mustard powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and diced bacon or ham hock to the baking dish. Stir everything together until combined before transferring it into an oven preheated to 350°F (175°C). Bake for 45 minutes or until bubbly around edges of pan. Serve warm with your favorite main course!
10 – Garlic Bread
- What Is It? Garlic bread is a classic side dish that consists of toasted or grilled bread slices topped with garlic butter. The butter can be flavored with herbs, spices, and other ingredients for added flavor.
- How To Make It: To make garlic bread, start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, mix together softened butter, minced garlic, parsley flakes, and salt in a bowl until it’s well combined. Spread the mixture onto both sides of each slice of bread and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown and serve warm.
In conclusion, sweet potato soup is a delicious and comforting dish that can be served with a variety of side dishes.
From mixed vegetable salads to garlic bread, there are plenty of options to choose from.
The best side dishes to serve with sweet potato soup are deep-fried deviled eggs, cheese and ham sandwich, poutine, macaroni salad, chili pakoras, crispy hot wings, cornbread, baked beans, and garlic bread.
These sides are all flavorful and easy to prepare, and will make sure that your sweet potato soup dinner is one to remember.
With these 10 side dishes, you’ll never run out of ideas for what to serve with sweet potato soup.
What To Serve With Sweet Potato Soup – 10 Best Side Dishes
- Mixed Vegetable Salad
- Deep-fried Deviled Eggs
- Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Authentic Canadian Poutine
- Macaroni Salad
- Pakoras (Vegetable Fritters)
- Crispy Buffalo Wings
- Baked Beans
- Garlic Bread
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a side dish in 25 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.