Burrito bowls are a delicious and easy way to enjoy Mexican flavors without the fuss of rolling up individual burritos.
But let’s face it, even though they’re tasty on their own, they can be made even better with the right sauce.
Whether you like your sauces mild or spicy, creamy or tangy, there is something for everyone.
In this article, I will share my top ten favorite sauces for burrito bowls that will take your meal to the next level!
What Are Burrito Bowls?
Burrito bowls are a popular Mexican-inspired dish that consists of all the components of a burrito without the tortilla.
The ingredients typically include black beans, chicken breast, grain white rice, adobo sauce and romaine lettuce.
This combination of ingredients creates a flavorful and nutritious meal that is both filling and satisfying.
The black beans provide protein and fiber while the chicken adds lean protein to the bowl.
The grain white rice provides complex carbohydrates for energy while also adding texture to the dish.
Adobo sauce gives it an extra kick of flavor with its smoky spiciness while romaine lettuce adds crunchy freshness as well as vitamins.
All these components come together to create a delicious meal that can be enjoyed on its own or served with other sides such as guacamole or salsa for added flavor.
10 Tasty Sauces for Burrito Bowls
Burrito bowls are a great way to enjoy Mexican flavors without the mess of a traditional burrito.
But they can be a bit bland unless you have some tasty sauces to add flavor.
Here are ten delicious sauces that will take your burrito bowl to the next level:
1. Spicy Green Sauce
Spicy green sauce is a Mexican condiment made from jalapeño chili peppers, cilantro, garlic, mayonnaise, sour cream, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
It has a creamy texture and a spicy kick that makes it the perfect topping for burrito bowls.
- Common Uses: Spicy green sauce is commonly used to top burrito bowls or tacos. It can also be used as a dip for chips or vegetables. In addition to its savory uses, it can also be added to smoothies or blended into salad dressings for an extra kick of flavor.
- To Make It: Start by combining the jalapeno chili pepper (seeds reserved), cilantro leaves and garlic in a food processor or blender and pulse until finely chopped. Add the mayonnaise, sour cream and lime juice and blend until creamy. Slowly add in the olive oil while blending until fully incorporated. Finally, season with salt and pepper to taste before transferring to an airtight container for storage. Serve chilled over your favorite burrito bowl dish!
2. Creamy Chipotle Sauce
Creamy Chipotle Sauce is a creamy, spicy sauce made from vegan yogurt, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, garlic, lime juice and cumin.
It is often used as a topping for burrito bowls or other Mexican dishes that need an extra kick of flavor.
- Common Uses: Creamy Chipotle Sauce can be used to top off any burrito bowl dish to add some heat and creaminess. It also makes a great dip for chips or veggies. The smoky flavor pairs well with roasted vegetables, tacos, quesadillas and more!
- To Make it: In a blender or food processor combine the vegan yogurt (or silken tofu), chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, adobo sauce, garlic cloves, lime juice and ground cumin until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Serve over your favorite burrito bowl dish or use as a dip for chips or veggies!
3. CILANTRO-LIME DRESSING
Cilantro-lime dressing is a creamy, tangy sauce that is made from cilantro, Greek yogurt, lime juice, garlic cloves, olive oil, white wine vinegar and salt.
It has a bright flavor that pairs well with Mexican dishes such as burrito bowls or tacos.
- Common Uses: This cilantro-lime dressing can be used in many different ways. It makes an excellent dip for chips or vegetables and can also be used to top salads or sandwiches. It adds a zesty flavor to tacos, burritos and quesadillas. The dressing can also be used as a marinade for chicken or fish before grilling.
- To Make It: To make this easy version of cilantro-lime dressing, combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. If you don’t have either appliance on hand then you can simply chop up the cilantro leaves finely and whisk together the remaining ingredients until combined. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
4. Creamy Avocado Sauce
Creamy avocado sauce is a delicious and easy way to add flavor to your burrito bowl.
This creamy, zesty sauce combines the flavors of avocado, greek yogurt, jalapeno, garlic cloves, cilantro, lime juice and olive oil for a flavorful topping.
- Common Uses: Creamy avocado sauce is most often used as a topping for burrito bowls or tacos but can be used in other dishes as well. It adds flavor and creaminess to any dish it is added to. It can also be served as a dip with chips or vegetables.
- How To Make It: Start by combining all ingredients except mayonnaise in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. If desired, you can add one tablespoon of mayonnaise for extra creaminess. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
5. Chipotle Crema
Chipotle Crema is a creamy sauce made from raw cashews, chipotle peppers in adobo, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, lime juice and water.
It has a smoky flavor with hints of sweetness and spice.
The crema can be used as a condiment for tacos or burritos, as well as an ingredient in other Mexican dishes such as enchiladas or tostadas.
- Common Uses: Chipotle Crema is often used to top burrito bowls and tacos. It also makes a great dip for chips or vegetables. You can use it to add creaminess to soups or stews, spread it on sandwiches and wraps, drizzle it over roasted vegetables like sweet potatoes or cauliflower – the possibilities are endless!
- How To Make It: To make the easy version of Chipotle Crema you will need 1/2 cup raw cashews that have been soaked in hot water for an hour; 2 chipotle peppers in adobo (you can substitute 4 tablespoons of chipotle sauce); 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder; 1/2 teaspoon chili powder; 1/2 teaspoon salt; 1 tablespoon lime juice; and ⅓ cup water. Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Taste test the crema before using it in your dish – if you want more heat add additional chipotles in adobo or some extra chili powder.
6. Enchilada Sauce
Enchilada sauce is a spicy, flavorful sauce used to make enchiladas.
It’s usually made with chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano and chicken or vegetable stock.
- Common Uses: Enchilada sauce is most commonly used in enchiladas but can also be used for other Mexican dishes such as burritos, tacos and quesadillas. It can also be used as a dip for chips or nachos.
- How To Make Enchilada Sauce: Heat the oil in a medium-sized pot over medium heat until shimmering. Add the flour and stir constantly for 1 minute until lightly browned. Stir in the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and oregano and cook for 1 minute more until fragrant. Slowly add the chicken or vegetable stock while stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Simmer for 5 minutes until thickened then season with salt to taste if desired. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to one week.
Salsa is a type of sauce or dip that originated in Mexico.
It typically contains tomatoes, onions, hot peppers, and spices such as cilantro and garlic.
Salsa can be mild to very spicy depending on the ingredients used.
- Common Uses: Salsa can be enjoyed with chips as a dip, added to burritos or tacos for extra flavor and crunch, or stirred into soups and stews for a Mexican flair. It can also be used as a topping for nachos, salads, eggs, pizza, sandwiches and burgers.
- How To Make Salsa: This easy version requires only five ingredients – canned diced tomatoes with green chilies (or regular diced tomatoes), onion (red or white), jalapeno pepper (optional), lime juice and fresh cilantro leaves. Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor until desired consistency is reached – chunky or smooth. Taste test and adjust seasonings if necessary before serving with your favorite dishes!
8. Maple Chipotle Sauce
Maple Chipotle Sauce is a flavorful and spicy sauce made with ketchup, maple syrup, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, apple cider vinegar, unsalted butter, and Worcestershire sauce.
This zesty condiment adds an extra kick to burrito bowls and other Mexican-inspired dishes.
- Common Uses: Maple Chipotle Sauce can be used as a topping for burrito bowls or tacos, added to quesadillas for extra flavor, or served alongside grilled chicken or steak. It can also be used as a marinade for meats or vegetables before grilling. The smoky sweetness of the sauce pairs well with many different flavors.
- How To Make It: Begin by combining the ketchup, maple syrup, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (with one teaspoon of extra adobo sauce), apple cider vinegar, unsalted butter, and Worcestershire sauce in a medium-sized bowl. Mix until all ingredients are combined thoroughly. Heat the mixture in a small pot over low heat until it begins to simmer; then reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally. Remove from heat once desired consistency has been reached and let cool before serving with your favorite dish!
9. Cashew Chipotle Cream Sauce
Cashew Chipotle Cream Sauce is a creamy and flavorful sauce made with cashews, garlic, adobo sauce from chipotle peppers in adobo, avocado, lemon juice, salt and almond milk or water.
It is a delicious way to add Mexican flavors to any dish.
- Common Uses: Cashew Chipotle Cream Sauce is commonly used as a topping for burrito bowls or tacos. It can also be used as a dip for chips or vegetables. The creaminess of the sauce makes it an excellent addition to soups and stews as well.
- How To Make It: Soak 1 cup of cashews in water for at least 2 hours or overnight. Drain the cashews and place them into a blender along with 1 clove of minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo, 1/2 ripe avocado, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Blend until smooth and creamy then slowly add up to ½ cup unsweetened almond milk or water while blending until desired consistency is achieved. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary before serving over your favorite dishes!
10. Fresh Pico de Gallo
Pico de Gallo is a Mexican salsa made with fresh tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, cilantro, lime juice and salt.
It is commonly served as a condiment or topping for tacos, burritos, enchiladas and other Mexican dishes.
- Common Uses: Pico de Gallo can be used to top burrito bowls, nachos, tacos and quesadillas. It can also be enjoyed as a dip with chips or vegetables. It adds flavor to sandwiches and burgers too!
- How To Make It: Start by dicing the tomatoes into small cubes. Add them to a bowl along with diced onion and finely chopped jalapeno pepper (remove the seeds if you don’t like it spicy). Chop up some fresh cilantro leaves and add them to the bowl. Squeeze in some fresh lime juice and season with salt to taste. Mix everything together until combined then let it sit for 10 minutes so all of the flavors have time to meld together.
In conclusion, burrito bowls are a delicious and customizable meal that can be tailored to your own tastes.
To give your burrito bowl an extra kick of flavor, adding a tasty sauce is a great way to take it to the next level.
The best sauces for burrito bowls are spicy green sauce, creamy chipotle sauce, cilantro-lime dressing, creamy avocado sauce, chipotle crema, enchilada sauce, salsa, maple chipotle sauce, cashew chipotle cream sauce, and fresh pico de gallo.
Each of these sauces adds a unique flavor and texture to your burrito bowl that will make it even more enjoyable.
So, the next time you’re in the mood for burrito bowls, don’t forget to add one of these delicious sauces to take your meal to the next level.
10 Tasty Sauces for Burrito Bowls
- Spicy Green Sauce
- Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- CILANTRO-LIME DRESSING
- Creamy Avocado Sauce
- Chipotle Crema
- Enchilada Sauce
- Maple Chipotle Sauce
- Cashew Chipotle Cream Sauce
- Fresh Pico de Gallo
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a sauce recipe in 25 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.