Are you looking for a way to spice up your Vietnamese vermicelli bowls?
Vietnamese vermicelli bowls are an incredibly popular and flavorful dish.
The combination of rice noodles, vegetables, herbs, and proteins makes them full of flavor and texture.
But what if you want to add even more taste to the mix?
The answer is sauces!
There are so many different types of sauces that can be used with vermicelli bowls – from traditional hoisin sauce to spicy chili garlic sauce – that can take your bowl from good to great.
In this article, I’ll share five tasty sauces that will help make your Vietnamese vermicelli bowl stand out.
What Are Vietnamese Vermicelli Bowls?
Vietnamese vermicelli bowls are a popular dish in Vietnam and other Southeast Asian countries.
They consist of thin, white rice noodles (vermicelli) served with a variety of toppings such as grilled meats, fresh herbs, pickled vegetables, and sauces.
The most common version is made with chicken thigh fillets marinated in soy sauce and brown sugar before being grilled or stir-fried.
The cooked chicken is then served over the vermicelli noodles along with bean sprouts, cucumber slices, lettuce leaves, mint leaves, cilantro leaves, crushed peanuts or cashews for crunchiness and a drizzle of fish sauce or hoisin sauce for flavor.
Vietnamese vermicelli bowls are typically served cold but can also be enjoyed warm if desired.
5 Tasty Sauces for Vietnamese Vermicelli Bowls
Vietnamese vermicelli bowls are a great way to enjoy some delicious Asian flavors.
But the real key to making these meals special is the sauce.
Here are five tasty sauces that will take your Vietnamese vermicelli bowl from good to great:
1. Hoisin sauce
Hoisin sauce is a thick, sweet-savory Chinese condiment made from fermented soybeans, garlic, chilies and spices.
It has a deep reddish-brown color and a strong flavor that is both salty and slightly sweet.
- Popular Uses: Hoisin sauce is often used as an accompaniment to Peking duck or in stir-fries with vegetables, seafood or pork. It can also be used in marinades for grilled meats such as beef or chicken. It is also great when added to noodles or rice dishes for extra flavor.
- Why Consider This Sauce: Hoisin sauce adds a unique umami flavor to your meals that cannot be replicated with other sauces. Its sweetness makes it perfect for adding depth of flavor to savory dishes while still being light enough so as not to overpower the other flavors in the dish. Additionally, hoisin sauce contains no fat which makes it an ideal choice for those who are looking for healthier options without compromising on taste!
Vietnamese fish sauce, also known as nuoc cham, is a condiment made from fermented fish and salt.
It has a salty, slightly sweet flavor that adds depth to any dish.
The sauce can be used in marinades, dressings, sauces and dips for dishes such as pho and vermicelli bowls.
- Popular Uses: Nuoc cham is commonly used in Vietnamese cuisine and can be found in many dishes such as banh mi sandwiches, spring rolls, salads and noodle soups. It’s also popularly served alongside grilled meats or seafood like shrimp or squid.
- How To Make It: Making nuoc cham at home is easy! Start with 6 tablespoons of water in a small bowl or jar. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and mix until the sugar has dissolved completely. Then add 1 ½ tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice followed by 2 tablespoons of fish sauce. Mix everything together until combined then set aside for 5 minutes before serving with your favorite dish!
Sweet chili sauce is a condiment made from sweet red chilies, garlic, sugar, and vinegar.
It has a spicy-sweet flavor that pairs well with many dishes.
The sauce is popular in Asian cuisine and can be used as a dipping sauce for spring rolls or egg rolls, or as an ingredient in marinades or salad dressings.
- Popular Uses: Sweet chili sauce can be used to add flavor to stir-fries, noodles, fried rice dishes, wings, tacos and more. It can also be used as a dip for vegetables or chips. Additionally it makes an excellent addition to sandwiches and wraps for added sweetness and heat.
- Why Consider This Sauce: Sweet chili sauce adds great flavor to any dish without overwhelming the other flavors of the dish. The combination of sweet and spicy creates an interesting depth of flavor that will make your meals stand out from the rest! Plus it’s easy to find at most grocery stores so you don’t have to worry about tracking down hard-to-find ingredients.
4. Peanut sauce
Peanut sauce is a condiment made from ground peanuts, garlic, and spices.
It is commonly used in Southeast Asian cuisines, particularly Thai and Vietnamese.
The sauce has a thick consistency that can be spread on sandwiches or used as a dip for spring rolls or other appetizers.
- Popular Uses: Peanut sauce is often served with Vietnamese vermicelli bowls, which are made with rice noodles and topped with fresh vegetables such as bean sprouts, cucumbers, carrots, and herbs. It can also be used to make satay dishes like chicken skewers served over sticky rice. Peanut sauces are also popular in salads such as the Thai-style larb salad or the Indonesian gado-gado salad.
- Why Consider This Sauce? Peanut sauce adds an incredible depth of flavor to any dish it’s added to. It has a rich nutty taste combined with sweetness from palm sugar or brown sugar, tanginess from lime juice or vinegar, heat from chili peppers or red pepper flakes, and umami flavors from fish sauce or soy sauce. Additionally, peanut butter is packed with healthy fats and protein making it an excellent addition to any meal!
Honey sriracha sauce is a sweet and spicy sauce made with honey, sriracha hot sauce, soy sauce, garlic, and ginger.
It has a unique flavor that combines the sweetness of honey with the spiciness of sriracha.
The combination creates an incredibly flavorful and versatile condiment.
- Popular Uses: Honey Sriracha Sauce is great for adding some extra zing to your favorite dishes. It can be used as a marinade for chicken or shrimp, drizzled over roasted vegetables or salads, as a dipping sauce for spring rolls or dumplings, or even mixed into stir-fries. This sweet and spicy combination also goes great on sandwiches and burgers.
- Why Consider This Sauce? Honey Sriracha Sauce is not only delicious but also very easy to make at home! All you need are a few simple ingredients like honey, sriracha hot sauce, soy sauce, garlic powder and ginger powder – all of which you likely already have in your pantry! Plus it’s gluten-free so everyone can enjoy it! Try this amazing flavor booster on everything from veggies to proteins for an unforgettable meal experience!
In conclusion, Vietnamese vermicelli bowls are a delicious and healthy meal option that can be easily customized to your taste.
To give your bowl an extra kick of flavor, try pairing it with one of these five tasty sauces.
Hoisin sauce, fish sauce, sweet chili sauce, peanut sauce, and sriracha sauce all make great additions to vermicelli bowls.
Each of these sauces has its own unique flavor and can be adjusted to suit your preference.
From sweet and savory to spicy and tangy, you’re sure to find a sauce that you love.
So, the next time you’re looking for something to add to your vermicelli bowl, give one of these sauces a try!
5 Tasty Sauces for Vietnamese Vermicelli Bowls
- Hoisin sauce
- Vietnamese Fish Sauce (Nuoc Cham)
- Sweet chili sauce
- Peanut sauce
- Honey sriracha sauce
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a sauce recipe in 20 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.