Wondering what sauce goes with salmon and rice?
You’re in the right place!
The right sauce for salmon and rice can make all the difference.
I’m talking about the difference between a good meal and a great meal.
So, if you’re looking for something to take your salmon and rice dish to the next level, look no further than this list of 13 delicious sauces.
Trust me, your taste buds will thank you.
What Sauce Goes with Salmon and Rice? 13 Best Sauces
Good sauces for salmon and rice luckily aren’t hard to come by.
A lot of sauces that are commonly used for other seafood like shrimp or crab would go great with salmon too.
The key is to find a sauce that will not only complement the flavors of the salmon and rice, but also bring out the natural sweetness of the salmon.
Here are 13 of the best sauces for salmon and rice:
1. Alfredo Sauce
If you prefer a thicker sauce, then this homemade Alfredo sauce is the way to go.
Not only does it pair well with salmon, but you can also use it as a pasta sauce or even a pizza sauce.
Alfredo sauce is traditionally made with butter, heavy cream, and Parmesan cheese.
However, there are many ways that you can add more flavor to this classic sauce.
Here are three ideas:
- Add garlic: Garlic goes well with just about everything and it will give the Alfredo sauce an extra zing. You can either mince some fresh garlic or use garlic powder. Start with a little and then add more to taste.
- Add herbs: Fresh basil or oregano would be a great addition to this sauce. If you don’t have any fresh herbs on hand, you can use dried herbs instead. Just add them in at the beginning so they have time to infuse their flavors into the sauce.
- Make it spicy: If you like things spicy, then try adding some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to the sauce. Start with a little bit and then add more until it reaches your desired level of spice.
2. Parmesan Cream Sauce
If you’ve got some parmesan in your fridge, you can make a delicious cream sauce to top any salmon dish!
This sauce is simple yet so flavorful, and it only takes a few minutes to make.
Just add some parmesan cheese, heavy cream, garlic, and salt to a pan and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth.
If you want to add a little more flavor to your sauce, here are three ideas:
- Add some lemon juice for brightness
- Throw in some chopped fresh parsley or dill for an herby flavor
- Stir in a spoonful of Dijon mustard for a little zing
3. Basil Pesto Sauce
Basil pesto and salmon go together like peanut butter and jelly.
This flavor-packed sauce is easy to make and can be used in a variety of ways.
Here are three ways to add more flavor to your basil pesto sauce:
- Use fresh herbs: Fresh herbs will always give your pesto sauce more flavor. If you have access to them, use fresh basil, oregano, and parsley in your pesto sauce.
- Add garlic: Garlic is a key ingredient in most pesto sauces. It adds depth of flavor and a little bit of heat. To really kick up the flavors in your pesto sauce, add an extra clove or two of garlic.
- Use good quality olive oil: Olive oil is another key ingredient in pesto sauce. Using a good quality olive oil will make a big difference in the flavor of your sauce. Look for an olive oil that has a fruity, peppery flavor for the best results.
4. Marinara Sauce
I love the taste of fresh tomatoes – there’s just something about it that makes my taste buds happy.
So, when it comes to a good marinara sauce, I always make sure to use fresh tomatoes.
This particular sauce is great because it’s so versatile – you can use it on any salmon dish and it’ll taste delicious.
Here are a few ways you can add more flavor to your marinara sauce:
- Add some garlic for a little extra zing
- Toss in some chopped onion for sweetness
- Stir in a bit of crushed red pepper flakes for some heat
5. Italian Arrabbiata Sauce (sugo all’arrabbiata)
Known for being slightly spicy, this Italian Arrabbiata sauce is the perfect addition to any salmon dish.
The sauce is made with tomatoes, garlic, and chili peppers, giving it a unique flavor that will complement the salmon perfectly.
Arrabbiata sauce is also incredibly versatile and can be used in a variety of different dishes.
Here are three ways you can add more flavor to the sauce:
- Add a pinch of sugar to balance out the acidity of the tomatoes
- Use fresh herbs like basil or oregano for an extra burst of flavor
- Add some crushed red pepper flakes for an extra kick of heat
6. Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Creamy and earthy at the same time, this mushroom sauce is the perfect addition to any salmon and rice dish.
There are a few ways you can add more flavor to this already delicious sauce:
- Add a splash of white wine for an extra zing
- Sauté some garlic in with the mushrooms for an extra depth of flavor
- Stir in a teaspoon of Dijon mustard for a bit of tang
7. Dijon Mustard Sauce
I don’t know about you – but I like mustard with my salmon and rice.
This Dijon mustard sauce is light, creamy and has a bit of a kick to it.
- Add some chopped fresh herbs like dill, chives or parsley
- Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice
- Stir in a tablespoon or two of honey
8. Lemon Butter Sauce
Lemony and buttery (which are two of the best things ever), this lemon butter sauce is an amazing addition to any salmon dish.
It’s light and fresh, yet rich and decadent all at the same time.
Here are three ways you can add even more flavor to this delicious sauce:
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little bit of heat
- Stir in some chopped fresh parsley or dill for an extra pop of color and flavor
- Add a teaspoon or two of capers for a briny depth of flavor
9. Chimichurri Sauce
Chimichurri sauce is a flavorful and versatile sauce that is made with fresh herbs, garlic, olive oil, and vinegar, and it’s perfect for adding a bit of brightness and acidity to rich and fatty salmon.
Here are three ways to add more flavor to your chimichurri sauce:
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for some heat
- Swap out the white vinegar for red wine vinegar for a deeper flavor
- Add a teaspoon of honey for sweetness
10. Gorgonzola Sauce
Another way to make salmon even more delicious is to serve it with a gorgonzola sauce.
This sauce is creamy and has a strong flavor, which complements the taste of the salmon well.
Here are three ways to add more flavor to your gorgonzola sauce:
- Add some chopped green onions for a bit of sweetness and crunch.
- Mix in some capers for an additional salty flavor.
- Stir in some diced tomatoes for extra freshness.
11. Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Sauce
If basil pesto has become a little too boring for you, then it’s time to switch things up with sun dried tomato pesto sauce.
This delicious sauce is perfect for any salmon dish and it’s so easy to make.
Simply combine sun dried tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and Parmesan cheese in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
If you want to add more flavor to the sauce, here are three ideas:
- Add some spice with red pepper flakes
- Make it extra creamy with some added goat cheese
- Add some zing with fresh lemon juice
12. Horseradish Sauce
Zingy and flavorful, horseradish sauce is the perfect addition to any salmon dish.
This sauce is incredibly easy to make and only requires a few ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry.
All you need is some prepared horseradish, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, and salt.
Simply mix all of the ingredients together and voila!
You have a delicious horseradish sauce that will take your salmon dish to the next level.
Here are a few ways you can add even more flavor to this already amazing sauce:
- Add some chopped fresh herbs like dill or parsley for an extra pop of flavor.
- Try using smoked salmon instead of regular salmon for a smoky twist.
- Add a touch of honey for sweetness or sriracha for heat.
13. Olive Tapenade
I bet you haven’t tried olive tapenade with your salmon yet, but it’s a match made in heaven!
Olive tapenade is a delicious and flavorful sauce that is perfect for any salmon dish.
The best part about olive tapenade is that it is so versatile and you can add other flavors to it to really make it your own.
Here are three ways to add more flavor to your olive tapenade:
- Add some lemon juice to brighten up the flavors
- Stir in some chopped fresh herbs like parsley, thyme or basil
- Add a touch of heat with some crushed red pepper flakes
What Sauce Goes with Salmon and Rice? (13 Best Sauces)
- Alfredo Sauce
- Parmesan Cream Sauce
- Basil Pesto Sauce
- Marinara Sauce
- Italian Arrabbiata Sauce (sugo all'arrabbiata)
- Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- Dijon Mustard Sauce
- Lemon Butter Sauce
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Gorgonzola Sauce
- Sun Dried Tomato Pesto Sauce
- Horseradish Sauce
- Olive Tapenade
- Choose your favorite sauce from this list to serve with your salmon and rice meal.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Serve in no time!