Fish sandwiches are a delicious and easy way to enjoy fish without too much fuss.
But let’s be real, the toppings are what really make or break a fish sandwich.
So if you are wondering what to put on your next fish sandwich, then you have come to the right place.
I’m sharing 15 of the best fish sandwich toppings that will take your sandwich from bland to bold.
From crunchy vegetables and pickles to creamy sauces and flavorful spices, there is sure to be something on this list that you’ll love.
So go ahead and give one (or all!) of these tasty topping ideas a try!
What Is A Fish Sandwich?
A fish sandwich is a type of sandwich made with fish as the main ingredient. It can be served on a bun, in a wrap, or between two slices of bread.
The most popular types of fish used for sandwiches are cod, haddock, and salmon.
Other types of seafood such as shrimp and crab may also be used.
Fish sandwiches are usually prepared by coating the fish fillet in batter or breadcrumbs before frying it until golden brown and crispy.
The fried fillet is then placed on top of a toasted bun or between two slices of bread along with condiments such as tartar sauce, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, and cheese (if desired).
Fish sandwiches can also be served cold with mayonnaise instead of tartar sauce.
15 Best Fish Sandwich Toppings
Fish sandwiches can be an incredibly tasty and satisfying meal.
Whether you are using canned fish or freshly-caught fillets, the toppings you choose will really make your sandwich stand out.
Here are 15 of my favorite fish sandwich toppings to try:
Cucumber is a type of edible plant that belongs to the gourd family.
It is usually cylindrical in shape and has a light green skin with white flesh inside.
The cucumber can be eaten raw or cooked, and it is often used as an ingredient in salads, sandwiches, and other dishes.
- How To Prep: Before using cucumbers in recipes, they should be washed thoroughly under running water. If you plan to eat them raw, you may want to peel off the skin first. For recipes that call for cooked cucumbers, such as soups or stews, they should be cut into small cubes before adding them to the dish.
- How To Use: Cucumbers are most commonly used in salads and sandwiches but can also be added to soups and stews for extra flavor and texture. They can also be pickled or fermented for use as condiments or side dishes. When making fish sandwiches, try adding thinly sliced cucumbers for a refreshing crunchy contrast against the softness of the fish fillet.
Pickled red onions are a type of pickle made from thinly sliced red onions that have been marinated in vinegar, sugar, and spices.
The result is a tangy, sweet-and-sour condiment that can be used to add flavor and texture to sandwiches, salads, tacos, burgers, and more.
- To make pickled red onions at home you will need the following ingredients: 1 large red onion (thinly sliced), 1 cup white vinegar or apple cider vinegar (or a combination of both), 2 tablespoons sugar (white or brown), 1 teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black peppercorns (optional). Place the sliced onion in a bowl and set aside. In a separate bowl combine the vinegar(s), sugar, salt and peppercorns if using. Pour this mixture over the onions and stir until everything is combined. Cover with plastic wrap or transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
- How To Use: Pickled red onions can be used as an accompaniment to many dishes such as fish sandwiches or burgers. They also work well on salads or tacos for added crunch and flavor. You can also use them as part of an antipasto platter with cheese and cured meats like prosciutto or salami. Finally, they make great garnishes for soups like gazpacho or caldo verde!
Olives are small, oval-shaped fruits that come from the olive tree.
They have a unique flavor and can be eaten fresh or cured in brine or oil.
Olives are high in healthy fats and contain vitamins as well as minerals such as iron, calcium, magnesium, and zinc.
- How To Prep: Olives can be eaten fresh or cured in brine or oil. Fresh olives need to be pitted before eating; this can be done by hand with a knife or using an olive pitter tool. Cured olives may also need to be pitted depending on the type of curing process used.
- How To Use: Olives can be used in many different ways including adding them to salads, sandwiches, pizzas, pastas dishes and more! They can also be served as an appetizer with cheese and crackers or stuffed with garlic cloves for added flavor. For a quick snack try adding some chopped olives to hummus for a delicious dip!
Avocado is a fruit that grows on trees in tropical climates.
It has a creamy texture and mild flavor, making it an ideal addition to many dishes.
The flesh of the avocado can be eaten raw or cooked, and its oil is often used for cooking as well.
- How To Prep: Before using avocado in a dish, you’ll need to prepare it properly. Start by cutting the avocado in half lengthwise and removing the pit with a spoon. Then scoop out the flesh with a spoon and cut into cubes or slices depending on your recipe’s instructions.
- How To Use: Avocado can be used in both sweet and savory dishes. It adds creaminess to smoothies, salads, sandwiches, tacos, burritos, burgers, omelets, guacamole dips and more! When adding avocado to fish sandwiches specifically, try pairing it with other ingredients such as tomatoes or pickles for added flavor and crunch.
Chipotle mayo is a condiment made from mayonnaise, chipotle peppers, and other spices.
It has a smoky flavor with a hint of heat that adds depth to sandwiches, burgers, tacos, and more.
- How To Prep: To make chipotle mayo at home, combine 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with 1-2 tablespoons of finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (depending on how spicy you like it). Add 1 teaspoon of lime juice and mix until combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- How To Use: Chipotle mayo can be used as a spread for sandwiches or burgers or as a dip for fries or chips. It also makes an excellent topping for tacos or burritos. You can even use it to add some extra flavor to salads or roasted vegetables.
Pickles are cucumbers that have been preserved in a brine, vinegar, or other solution and left to ferment.
They can be sweet or sour, crunchy or soft, and come in many different varieties.
- How To Prep: To make pickles at home, you’ll need cucumbers (or whatever vegetable you’re pickling), salt, water, vinegar (or another acid like lemon juice), sugar (optional), herbs and spices for flavor (optional). Start by washing the cucumbers and cutting them into slices or spears. Then mix together the salt and water to create a brine solution. Place the cucumber slices in the brine solution for several hours before transferring them to jars with your choice of vinegar and seasonings. Let the jars sit at room temperature for several days before refrigerating them.
- How To Use: Pickles can be used as an accompaniment to sandwiches or burgers, added to salads for extra crunchiness, served as part of an appetizer platter with cheese and crackers, chopped up into relish for hot dogs or hamburgers, eaten straight out of the jar as a snack – there are so many possibilities! You can also use pickle juice as a marinade for meats like chicken or pork chops; it adds great flavor without overpowering it.
7. Lemon Aioli
Lemon aioli is a type of mayonnaise-based sauce that is flavored with lemon juice and garlic.
It has a creamy texture and tangy flavor, making it the perfect accompaniment to fish sandwiches or other seafood dishes.
- How To Prep: To make lemon aioli, start by combining mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Whisk together until all ingredients are well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- How To Use: Lemon aioli can be used as an accompaniment to fish sandwiches or other seafood dishes such as crab cakes or grilled salmon. It can also be used as a dip for vegetables or chips. For an extra zesty kick, add some chopped fresh herbs such as parsley or dill to the mix before serving.
Spinach is a leafy green vegetable that is packed with vitamins and minerals.
It has a mild flavor and can be eaten raw or cooked.
- How To Prep: Before using spinach in a recipe, it should be washed thoroughly to remove any dirt or sand. The leaves can then be chopped into small pieces or left whole depending on the recipe. If the spinach is going to be cooked, it should be blanched first by submerging it in boiling water for 1-2 minutes before draining and cooling in cold water. This will help retain its color and texture when cooked.
- How To Use: Spinach can be used as an ingredient in fish sandwiches to add flavor and nutrition. It pairs well with other ingredients such as tomatoes, onions, cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, pickles, olives or avocado slices. For added crunchiness try adding some crumbled bacon or crispy fried onions on top of the sandwich before serving!
Red cabbage slaw is a type of coleslaw made with red cabbage, mayonnaise, and other seasonings.
It is a popular topping for fish sandwiches and can also be used as a side dish or salad.
- How To Prep: To make red cabbage slaw, start by shredding the red cabbage into thin strips. Then mix together mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl until combined. Add the shredded cabbage to the mixture and stir until everything is evenly coated. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to allow flavors to meld together.
- How To Use: Red cabbage slaw makes an excellent topping for fish sandwiches or burgers. It can also be served as a side dish or salad on its own or with grilled meats such as chicken or pork chops. The sweet-tangy flavor of the slaw pairs well with many different types of dishes so feel free to experiment!
10. Fresh Herbs
Fresh herbs are plants that have been harvested for their leaves, stems, flowers, or seeds.
They are used to add flavor and aroma to dishes and can be found in many cuisines around the world.
Herbs can be either annuals (plants that live for one growing season) or perennials (plants that live for more than two years).
- How To Prep: When using fresh herbs in a recipe, it is important to properly prepare them before adding them to the dish. Start by washing the herbs under cold running water and patting them dry with a paper towel. Then remove any tough stems or wilted leaves before chopping or mincing the herb as needed.
- How To Use: Fresh herbs can be used in a variety of ways when cooking fish sandwiches. For example, try adding chopped parsley, dill, chives, basil, oregano, thyme or tarragon to your sandwich filling for an extra burst of flavor. You could also use these same herbs as garnishes on top of your sandwich along with some freshly squeezed lemon juice and cracked black pepper for added zestiness!
Capers are the small, pickled flower buds of a Mediterranean shrub.
They have a salty, briny flavor and are often used to add an extra layer of flavor to dishes.
- How To Prep: Before using capers in your cooking, it’s important to rinse them off with cold water first. This will help remove some of the saltiness and make them more palatable. You can also soak them in warm water for 10 minutes before rinsing if you want to reduce their saltiness even further.
- How To Use: Capers can be used in many different ways, but they’re especially good when added to fish sandwiches or salads. Try adding a few tablespoons of capers to your favorite sandwich recipe for an extra burst of flavor! You can also use capers as a garnish on top of grilled fish or chicken dishes, or mix them into sauces and dressings for added zest.
Roasted red peppers are bell peppers that have been charred and peeled, giving them a smoky flavor.
They can be eaten raw or cooked in a variety of dishes.
- How To Prep: To roast red peppers, start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut the peppers into quarters and remove the seeds and stems. Place the pepper quarters on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 25 minutes, flipping halfway through. Once they’re done roasting, place them in a bowl covered with plastic wrap for 10 minutes to steam before peeling off the skin.
- How To Use: Roasted red peppers can be used in many different ways! Try adding them to sandwiches or wraps for an extra burst of flavor, blending them into sauces or soups for added depth of flavor, or using them as part of an antipasto platter with other cured meats and cheeses. You can also use roasted red peppers as part of fish sandwich recipes – try adding some slices to your favorite fish sandwich recipe for an extra layer of flavor!
13. Hot Sauce
Hot sauce is a condiment made from chili peppers, vinegar, and other ingredients.
It can range in flavor from mild to extremely spicy and is used to add heat and flavor to dishes.
- How To Prep: Before using hot sauce, it’s important to prepare the peppers properly. Start by washing them with warm water and removing any stems or seeds. Then cut the peppers into small pieces before adding them to a blender or food processor along with garlic, onion, salt, pepper, and vinegar. Blend until smooth then strain through a fine-mesh sieve for a smoother texture.
- How To Use: Hot sauce can be used as an ingredient in recipes such as tacos or burritos or added directly onto foods like fish sandwiches for extra flavor and heat. It can also be used as a marinade for meats or vegetables before grilling or roasting them in the oven. Additionally, hot sauce makes an excellent dipping sauce when mixed with mayonnaise or sour cream for fries or chips!
Mustard is a condiment made from the seeds of various mustard plants.
The whole, ground, cracked, or bruised mustard seeds are mixed with water, vinegar, lemon juice, wine, or other liquids and salt to create a paste or sauce ranging in color from bright yellow to dark brown.
- How To Prep: Mustard can be used as-is straight out of the jar or bottle but it can also be prepared for use in recipes. To make a basic mustard sauce mix together 1/2 cup of dry mustard powder with 1/4 cup of cold water and let sit for 10 minutes before adding 2 tablespoons each of white wine vinegar and honey. Stir until smooth then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- How To Use: Mustard is most commonly used as a condiment on sandwiches but it can also be used in many different recipes such as sauces for fish dishes like salmon or tuna steaks; marinades for grilled meats; dressings for salads; dips for vegetables; glazes for roasted vegetables; and even desserts like cakes and cookies!
15. Tartar Sauce
Tartar sauce is a condiment made from mayonnaise, pickles, capers, and other seasonings.
It is typically served with fried fish dishes such as fish and chips or fish sandwiches.
The tartness of the pickles and capers gives the sauce its distinctive flavor.
- How To Prep: To make tartar sauce at home, start by combining mayonnaise with finely chopped dill pickles, capers, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard powder, garlic powder, onion powder and salt in a bowl. Mix until all ingredients are well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary before serving.
- How To Use: Tartar sauce can be used to top off any type of fried seafood dish such as fish tacos or crab cakes. It can also be used as a dip for french fries or potato wedges. Additionally it can be spread on sandwiches like tuna melts or BLTs for an extra zesty kick!
Why Toppings for Fish Sandwiches Are so Important
When it comes to fish sandwiches, toppings can make all the difference. While the fish itself is undoubtedly the star of the show, toppings can elevate the sandwich to new heights by adding texture, flavor, and a unique twist.
- Firstly, toppings can provide additional layers of flavor that complement the fish. For example, a tangy tartar sauce can cut through the richness of a fried fish fillet, while pickles or coleslaw can add a refreshing crunch. Toppings can also provide a contrast in texture, such as crispy lettuce or creamy avocado.
- In addition, toppings can also make a fish sandwich more visually appealing, which can enhance the overall dining experience. A sandwich with colorful toppings like bright red tomatoes or vibrant green lettuce is more appealing to the eye than a plain fish fillet on a bun.
- Furthermore, toppings can provide a way to customize a fish sandwich to individual tastes. With a variety of toppings available, each person can create a sandwich that suits their preferences. Some people may prefer a spicy kick from jalapeños or hot sauce, while others may prefer a milder flavor with a simple squeeze of lemon juice.
What goes good with a fish sandwich?
There are many great pairings that go well with a fish sandwich. Some classic options include coleslaw, tartar sauce, pickles, lettuce, tomato, and onion. You can also try adding some avocado, bacon, or a fried egg for a twist on the classic fish sandwich.
What condiment goes with fish?
There are several condiments that pair well with fish. The most popular condiment for fish is tartar sauce, which is typically made with mayonnaise, pickles, and other seasonings. Other options include cocktail sauce, aioli, remoulade, or even a simple squeeze of lemon juice.
What topping is good for fish?
There are many toppings that can enhance the flavor and texture of a fish sandwich. Some classic toppings include lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles. Other great options include coleslaw, avocado, bacon, or even a fried egg. You can also experiment with different types of cheese, such as cheddar, Swiss, or feta.
Do you put cheese on a fish sandwich?
While it may not be a traditional topping for a fish sandwich, cheese can be a great addition if you enjoy it. Some good cheese options for fish sandwiches include cheddar, Swiss, or even blue cheese. Just keep in mind that strong-flavored cheeses may overpower the delicate flavor of the fish, so it’s best to use them sparingly.
What are some good fried fish sandwich toppings?
When it comes to fried fish sandwiches, toppings can add a lot of flavor and texture. Some classic options include tartar sauce, coleslaw, pickles, and lettuce. You can also try adding some cheese, bacon, or avocado for a twist on the classic sandwich. Another great option is to add some heat with jalapenos or hot sauce.
What are some creative fish sandwich ideas?
If you’re looking for a new twist on the classic fish sandwich, there are many creative ideas to try. One option is to use a different type of fish, such as salmon, tilapia, or catfish. You can also experiment with different breading or batter, such as panko or cornmeal. For a unique flavor, try adding some mango salsa or pineapple to your sandwich. Another fun idea is to make a fish po’boy by adding lettuce, tomato, and a spicy remoulade sauce.
What is the best bread for a fish sandwich?
The best bread for a fish sandwich is one that can hold up to the weight and moisture of the fish and toppings. A soft, squishy bun can work well, but you may also want to consider a sturdier option like ciabatta, brioche, or a crusty French roll. Sourdough can also be a good choice for its tangy flavor and ability to hold up to the moisture of the sandwich. Just be sure to lightly toast the bread to prevent it from getting soggy.
In conclusion, there are plenty of different toppings that can be added to a fish sandwich to make it even more delicious.
The best toppings for a fish sandwich are cucumber, pickled red onion, olives, avocado, chipotle mayo, pickles, lemon aioli, spinach, red cabbage slaw, fresh herbs, capers, roasted red peppers, hot sauce, mustard, and tartar sauce.
By using a combination of these toppings, you can create a unique and flavorful sandwich that will be sure to please.
So, the next time you’re looking for the perfect fish sandwich, don’t forget to top it off with these delicious ingredients.
15 Best Fish Sandwich Toppings
- Pickled Red Onion
- Chipotle Mayo
- Lemon Aioli
- Red Cabbage Slaw
- Fresh Herbs
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Hot Sauce
- Tartar Sauce
- Select your favorite toppings.
- Assemble your fish sandwich.
- Enjoy your meal in less than 20 minutes!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.