Well hello there, seafood enthusiasts!
Not sure what to serve with crab cakes?
No problem! Are you ready to dive into a world of flavor and deliciousness?
If you’re a fan of crab cakes (and let’s be real, who isn’t?), then you’re in for a treat.
We all know that crab cakes can hold their own on a plate, but why not give them a little extra love by serving them with the perfect side dish?
That’s where we come in.
We’ve scoured the culinary world to bring you the 50 best side dishes to serve with crab cakes.
From classic coleslaw to unconventional quinoa salad, we’ve got it all.
So grab your apron and let’s get cooking!
What To Serve With Crab Cakes – 50 Best Side Dishes
Crab cakes are a delicious and versatile dish that can be served as snacks, appetizers, or even main courses.
But what should you serve with them?
Here are 50 of the best side dishes for crab cakes, ranging from simple salads to hearty sides like mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables:
Hey there, foodie friend! If you’re anything like me, you know that a great side salad can take your crab cakes from good to great.
Here are some of my favorite quirky side salad recipes that are sure to knock your socks off:
- Caesar Salad with a Kick: This one has got it all – crunchy croutons, creamy dressing, and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. But I don’t stop there – I add some anchovies to give it a kick that will make your taste buds sing!
- Crazy Coleslaw: If you’re looking for a classic side salad that’s not so classic, you’ve got to try my Crazy Coleslaw. Shredded cabbage, carrot, and red onion mixed with a tangy dressing of mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, and honey. It’s coleslaw, but not as you know it!
- Beet and Goat Cheese Bonanza: Roasted beets, creamy goat cheese, and crunchy walnuts – need I say more? This side salad is like a party in your mouth, and everyone’s invited!
- Greek Goodness: If you’re feeling a bit adventurous, you’ve got to try Greek salad. Crisp lettuce, juicy tomatoes, cucumbers, kalamata olives, and feta cheese drizzled with a tangy vinaigrette. Opa!
- Avo-Tomato Tango: This side salad is like a fiesta in your mouth! Ripe tomatoes, creamy avocado, and fresh herbs dressed with a zesty lime vinaigrette. It’s the perfect partner for your crab cakes.
Get ready to meet your new best veggie side dish friends – these quirky recipes will blow your mind!
- Roasted Asparagus with Lemon and Garlic: Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies, and when you roast it with lemon and garlic, it’s pure magic! This side dish is super easy to make and it pairs perfectly with crab cakes.
- Grilled Zucchini with Parmesan Cheese: Zucchini is another one of my go-to veggies, and grilling it brings out all the amazing flavors. Topped with some Parmesan cheese, this side dish is sure to impress.
- Garlic Green Beans with Almonds: These green beans are not your average green beans. They’re sautéed with garlic and topped with crunchy almonds for a dish that’s anything but boring.
- Sauteed Spinach with Pine Nuts: If you want to add some green to your plate, look no further than this sautéed spinach dish. The pine nuts add a great texture, and the spinach is packed with nutrients.
- Honey Glazed Carrots with Thyme: Sometimes you just need a little sweetness in your life, and these honey glazed carrots deliver. The thyme adds a great herby flavor that balances out the sweetness perfectly.
Sauces & Dips
A good sauce or dip can elevate any meal, and that’s especially true when it comes to crab cakes.
Here are some quirky and delicious sauces and dips that are perfect for pairing with your crab cakes:
- Spicy Tartar Sauce: Tartar sauce is a classic accompaniment to crab cakes, but why not kick it up a notch with some spice? Mix in some hot sauce, chili flakes, or diced jalapeño for a tartar sauce with a kick.
- Garlic Aioli: Aioli is like the fancier cousin of mayonnaise, and when you add some garlic to it, it’s a match made in heaven. This creamy, garlicky sauce is perfect for dipping your crab cakes into.
- Lemon Remoulade: Remoulade is a French sauce that’s typically made with mayonnaise, mustard, and pickles. Add some lemon juice to it, and it’s the perfect complement to the sweetness of the crab cakes.
- Tangy Cocktail Sauce: Cocktail sauce is another classic sauce that goes great with crab cakes. Mix in some horseradish, lemon juice, or Worcestershire sauce to give it a tangy twist.
- Mustard Sauce: If you’re a fan of mustard, you’ll love this sauce. Mix some Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, and honey for a sweet and tangy sauce that’s perfect for dipping your crab cakes.
Potatoes are a classic side dish that pairs well with just about anything, and crab cakes are no exception.
Here are some quirky potato side dishes that will make your taste buds dance:
- French Fry Tower: Who doesn’t love a good French fry? Make your own tower of crispy, golden fries and top it with some parmesan cheese and herbs for a fun and quirky take on a classic side dish.
- Sweet Potato Fries with Maple Bacon Dipping Sauce: Sweet potato fries are the perfect combination of sweet and savory, and when you dip them in a maple bacon sauce, it’s a flavor explosion in your mouth.
- Baked Potato with All the Fixings: You can’t go wrong with a classic baked potato, and when you load it up with all your favorite toppings (sour cream, chives, cheese, bacon, the works!), it’s a meal in itself.
- Mashed Potato Mountains: Mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food, and when you mound them up high like a mountain, they’re even more fun to eat. Add some butter, cream, and chives for a twist on a classic.
- Potato Salad with a Twist: Potato salad is a great side dish for any occasion, but why not add some quirky twists to it? Mix in some bacon, scallions, and mustard for a unique and delicious potato salad that will have your guests asking for the recipe.
Rice is a versatile and filling side dish that can complement any meal, including crab cakes.
Here are some quirky and delicious rice side dishes that will take your crab cake game to the next level:
- Pilaf Party: Pilaf is a dish that’s typically made with rice, spices, and vegetables, and it’s a great option for a side dish. Mix in some raisins, nuts, or even some cooked sausage to give it a fun and unexpected twist.
- Risotto Rendezvous: Risotto is a creamy and luxurious rice dish that’s perfect for a fancy dinner party or a date night in. Mix in some mushrooms, asparagus, or even some lobster to give it a quirky and decadent twist.
- Fried Rice Fiesta: Fried rice is a classic dish that’s perfect for any occasion. Mix in some scrambled eggs, peas, and carrots for a fun and colorful dish that pairs perfectly with crab cakes.
- Brown Rice Bowl: Brown rice is a healthier alternative to white rice, and when you mix in some veggies, beans, or even some grilled chicken, it’s a filling and nutritious side dish that’s anything but boring.
- Wild Rice Whimsy: Wild rice is a nutty and flavorful rice that’s perfect for a side dish. Mix in some dried cranberries, almonds, or even some feta cheese for a fun and unexpected twist.
Breads & Sandwiches
Crab cakes aren’t just for fancy meals – they make a great sandwich too!
Here are some fun and quirky bread and sandwich options to pair with your crab cakes:
- Brioche Buns: Brioche buns are a classic bread option for crab cake sandwiches. They’re light and fluffy, and they won’t overpower the delicate flavors of the crab cakes.
- Ciabatta Rolls: Ciabatta rolls are another great option for crab cake sandwiches. They’re chewy and crispy on the outside, and they pair well with the soft texture of the crab cakes.
- Pita Pockets: Pita pockets are a fun and unexpected option for crab cake sandwiches. Stuff them with some lettuce, tomato, and tartar sauce for a fun and delicious meal.
- Croissant Sandwich: Croissants aren’t just for breakfast – they make a great bread option for crab cake sandwiches too! Add some avocado, bacon, and a fried egg for a quirky and delicious meal.
- Grilled Cheese Crab Cake Sandwich: Grilled cheese and crab cakes might seem like an unlikely pairing, but trust me – it works! Top a grilled cheese sandwich with a crab cake for a meal that’s both fun and delicious.
Grains & Legumes
Grains and legumes are a great way to add some protein and fiber to your crab cake meal.
Here are some fun and quirky options to pair with your crab cakes:
- Quinoa Salad: Quinoa is a nutritious and versatile grain that pairs well with just about anything. Mix it with some veggies (bell peppers, cucumbers, and cherry tomatoes), feta cheese, and a lemon vinaigrette for a fun and tasty salad.
- Lentil Stew: Lentils are a great source of protein and fiber, and when they’re mixed with some veggies (carrots, onions, and celery), herbs, and spices, they make a hearty and delicious stew that pairs well with crab cakes.
- Black Bean Salad: Black beans are a great source of protein and fiber, and when they’re mixed with some veggies (corn, red onion, and cilantro) and a lime dressing, they make a fun and colorful salad that’s perfect for summer.
- Brown Rice and Bean Bowl: Brown rice and beans are a classic combination that’s perfect for a healthy and filling meal. Mix in some avocado, salsa, and a squeeze of lime juice for a fun and quirky twist.
- Chickpea Curry: Chickpeas are a great source of protein and fiber, and when they’re mixed with some veggies (tomatoes, onions, and spinach) and some Indian spices, they make a delicious and aromatic curry that’s perfect for pairing with crab cakes.
When you’re already serving crab cakes, why not double down on the seafood and add a fun and quirky seafood side dish?
Here are some options that will make your crab cake meal even more delicious:
- Shrimp Cocktail: Shrimp cocktail is a classic seafood side dish that’s perfect for a fancy dinner party. Pair it with your crab cakes for a meal that’s both fancy and fun.
- Lobster Bisque: Lobster bisque is a creamy and indulgent soup that’s perfect for a special occasion. Pair it with your crab cakes for a meal that’s both decadent and delicious.
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers: Grilled shrimp skewers are a fun and colorful side dish that’s perfect for summer. Mix in some bell peppers, onions, and a squeeze of lemon juice for a fun and delicious meal.
- Smoked Salmon Salad: Smoked salmon is a great addition to any meal, and when it’s mixed with some lettuce, tomatoes, and a creamy dressing, it makes a fun and flavorful salad that’s perfect for pairing with crab cakes.
- Clam Chowder: Clam chowder is a classic New England dish that’s creamy, hearty, and delicious. Pair it with your crab cakes for a meal that’s both quirky and comforting.
Sometimes you just want to have some fun with your side dishes, and that’s where these quirky and playful options come in.
Here are some of my favorite fun side dishes to pair with crab cakes:
- Mac and Cheese: Who doesn’t love a good mac and cheese? Pair it with your crab cakes for a delicious and fun meal that will make you feel like a kid again.
- Pizza Party: Pizza and crab cakes might not be the most obvious pairing, but trust me – it works! Make a fun and quirky pizza with your favorite toppings and pair it with your crab cakes for a unique and delicious meal.
- Waffle Frenzy: Waffles aren’t just for breakfast – they make a great side dish for dinner too! Top them with some fried chicken or bacon for a fun and unexpected twist.
- Corn on the Cob: Corn on the cob is a classic summer side dish, and when you slather it in butter and sprinkle it with some spices, it’s a fun and quirky addition to your crab cake meal.
- Fried Green Tomatoes: Fried green tomatoes might not be the most conventional side dish, but they’re crispy, tangy, and delicious. Pair them with your crab cakes for a meal that’s anything but boring.
No meal is complete without dessert, and that includes crab cakes!
Here are some quirky and delicious dessert options that will make your crab cake meal even sweeter:
- Key Lime Pie: Key lime pie is the perfect dessert to pair with crab cakes. The tangy lime flavor complements the sweetness of the crab cakes perfectly.
- Strawberry Shortcake: Strawberries are in season during the summer months, making them the perfect addition to your crab cake meal. Top a biscuit or shortcake with fresh strawberries and whipped cream for a sweet and delicious dessert.
- Chocolate Lava Cake: Chocolate lava cake is the ultimate indulgent dessert. Pair it with your crab cakes for a meal that’s fancy and fun all at once.
- Lemon Bars: Lemon bars are a great summer dessert that’s refreshing and sweet. The tartness of the lemon pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the crab cakes.
- Ice Cream Sundae: You can never go wrong with a classic ice cream sundae. Top some vanilla ice cream with your favorite toppings (chocolate sauce, sprinkles, whipped cream) for a fun and whimsical dessert.
And that’s it – 50 delicious side dishes to pair with your crab cakes!
Whether you’re in the mood for something light and refreshing or something hearty and indulgent, these options have got you covered. From salads to sandwiches, and from grains to seafood, there’s something here for everyone.
Just remember, cooking is all about having fun and trying new things, so don’t be afraid to experiment and find your perfect pairing.
And if you end up with a wacky combination that you love, that’s even better – after all, sometimes the best meals come from unexpected pairings!
So go ahead and whip up some delicious crab cakes, and pair them with one (or more) of these fun and quirky side dishes. Your taste buds will thank you!
What To Serve With Crab Cakes (50 Best Sides)
- Caesar Salad
- Beet and Goat Cheese Bonanza
- Greek Salad
- Avo-Tomato Tango
- Roasted Asparagus with Lemon and Garlic
- Grilled Zucchini with Parmesan Cheese
- Garlic Green Beans with Almonds
- Sauteed Spinach with Pine Nuts
- Honey Glazed Carrots with Thyme
- Spicy Tartar Sauce
- Garlic Aioli
- Tangy Cocktail Sauce
- Mustard Sauce
- French Fry Tower
- Sweet Potato Fries with Maple Bacon Dipping Sauce
- Baked Potato with All the Fixings
- Mashed Potato Mountains
- Potato Salad
- Risotto Rendezvous
- Fried Rice Fiesta
- Brown Rice Bowls
- Wild Rice
- Brioche Buns
- Ciabatta Rolls
- Pita Pockets
- Croissant Sandwich
- Grilled Cheese Crab Cake Sandwich
- Quinoa Salad
- Lentil Stew
- Black Bean Salad
- Brown Rice and Bean Bowls
- Chickpea Curry
- Shrimp Cocktails
- Lobster Bisque
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Smoked Salmon Salad
- Clam Chowder
- Mac and Cheese
- Corn on the Cob
- Fried Green Tomatoes
- Key Lime Pie
- Strawberry Shortcake
- Chocolate Lava Cake
- Lemon Bars
- Ice Cream Sundae
- Pick your favorite recipe from the article.
- Organize your ingredients and utensils.
- Follow the detailed instructions in the recipe to make your side dish.
- Prepare and serve for delicious meal!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.