If you’re wondering what to serve with curry chicken salad, you’re in luck!
I’ve rounded up 17 of the best side dishes to serve with this flavorful and healthy dish.
Whether you are looking for a light and refreshing salad, a hearty grain bowl, or a comforting soup, there is sure to be something on this list that you’ll love.
So go ahead and give one (or all!) of these recipes a try the next time you make curry chicken salad!
- 15 Best Substitutes for Celery in Chicken Salad
- Chicken Curry Wine Pairing – 15 Best Wines for Chicken Curry
- Chicken Salad Wine Pairing – Best Wines for Chicken Salads
What to Serve with Curry Chicken Salad? 17 Best Side Dishes
Don’t settle for a boring side dish when you can have a delicious and flavor-packed curry chicken salad!
Packed with protein and veggies, curry chicken salad is a healthy and filling meal option.
But what really makes it shine is the variety of flavors from the herbs and spices.
Here are 17 of the best side dishes to serve with curry chicken salad:
1. Roasted Red Potatoes
Roasted to crispy perfection (but not burnt), these potatoes are a great side to any meal.
The key is to get the potatoes nice and dry before adding them to the pan.
I like to leave them out on a paper towel for about 15 minutes.
This will help to ensure that they get crispy in the oven.
Once they’re dried, add them to a pan with olive oil (just enough to coat) and sea salt.
You can also add fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme.
Place in a pre-heated oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and roast for 20-25 minutes.
For extra flavor, you could also:
- Add garlic cloves to the pan before roasting
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese after they’re done
- Add a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt
2. Simple Biscuits
These are simple, quick, and easy biscuits that go with any meal!
I have found that the best way to make sure they come out tasting their best is to use buttermilk, and to make sure the butter is cold.
I also like to add a little bit of sugar to the dough for sweetness.
Or, if you want to get really creative, you could try a savory version with herbs like rosemary or thyme.
3. Easy Coleslaw
A creamy coleslaw in 5 minutes (or less)?
This dish is perfect for a busy weeknight or to throw together for a potluck or BBQ.
To make this dish, you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- Simply whisk together the mayo, vinegar, sugar, celery seed and salt.
- Add the coleslaw mix and toss to coat.
And that’s it!
So easy, right?
If you want to add a little extra flavor to your coleslaw, try adding in some diced apples, raisins, chopped nuts or crumbled bacon.
Or get creative with the dressing and add in some ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing or apple cider vinegar.
4. Easy Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
These “muffins” have plenty of melted, cheesy goodness (thanks, cheddar!) and a touch of spice from jalapeño peppers.
They’re great on their own, or you can serve them with honey butter, as pictured here.
Here are a few tips for making the best cornbread muffins:
- Use fresh, quality ingredients. This will make all the difference in the flavor of your cornbread!
- Be careful not to overmix the batter. Overmixing will result in tough muffins.
- If you want extra cheesy muffins, add more cheddar cheese to the batter.
- For extra spicy muffins, add more jalapeño peppers or use hotter peppers such as serrano peppers.
- Bake the muffins until they’re golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
There are endless ways to dress up these cornbread muffins.
Here are a few ideas:
- Top with shredded cheese and/or chopped bacon before baking.
- Mix in diced onions, green onions, or garlic for extra flavor.
- Stir in canned corn or diced cooked chicken for a complete meal.
5. Garlic Chive Smashed Potatoes
The secret to incredibly flavorful smashed potatoes is in the ratio of potatoes to garlic.
For every pound of small Yukon gold potatoes, use at least one clove of garlic.
If you’re using larger potatoes, you can get away with using less garlic.
After boiling the potatoes until they’re fork-tender, add them to a bowl with the garlic and mash everything together.
Be sure to taste as you go, adding more garlic or salt as needed.
For extra flavor, try adding any of the following:
- sour cream
- bacon bits
6. Roasted Asparagus
Drizzled with olive oil and garlic (or your favorite herbs), this healthy side dish is delicious and simple to make.
Here’s how to make the perfect roasted asparagus:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut the asparagus into 1-inch pieces.
- Spread the asparagus on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add garlic (or your favorite herbs) and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 10-15 minutes, or until the asparagus is tender.
Here are a few ideas for adding extra flavor to your roasted asparagus:
- Add Parmesan cheese before roasting.
- Top with balsamic vinegar after roasting.
- Serve with a lemon wedge.
7. Ranch Glazed Carrots
These carrots go great alongside curry chicken salad or as a base for roasted Brussels and roasted sweet potatoes.
For the best flavor, I recommend using carrots that are about an inch in diameter so they can hold onto the glaze and spices better.
- Cut them into thirds or quarters so they cook evenly and don’t fall through the grill grates.
- Before you add the carrots to the grill, toss them in a bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you like.
- Then, place them on the grill over indirect heat.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until they’re tender and slightly charred around the edges.
- Once they’re done, remove them from the grill and drizzle with ranch dressing.
- Serve immediately.
Here are some ideas for adding extra flavor to your ranch glazed carrots:
- Add a sprinkle of smoked paprika or cumin for a smoky flavor.
- Try using honey mustard or BBQ sauce instead of ranch dressing.
- Top with crumbled bacon or shredded cheese before serving.
8. Quick Classic Macaroni Salad
When simplicity is key, macaroni salad is an easy and delicious option.
To make it, simply boil the macaroni in salted water until tender, then drain it and mix it with your favorite dressing.
Some popular choices include: mayonnaise, yogurt or sour cream, green onions, salt, pepper, and celery seed.
You can also try adding different vegetables like diced tomatoes or diced bell peppers.
And last but not least, if you want to take this side dish up a notch, try adding some cooked bacon or ham to the mix!
9. Special Fruit Salad
Berries and tropical fruit make this salad extra special (I prefer to use frozen fruit because it’s so convenient).
Since this side dish is perfect for any meal, I’ll give you three tips on how to make sure your side dish comes out tasting its best.
- First and foremost, make sure that your ingredients are fresh. If they’re not, they will not only taste bad, but they may also spoil the entire salad.
- Secondly, be careful with the amounts of dressing that you use. Too much dressing can drown out the flavors of the other ingredients and make the salad tasteless. Opt for a light coating rather than a heavy one to achieve the desired flavor profile.
- Lastly, add some extra flavor to your fruit salad by using different spices or herbs. For example, try adding ginger, cumin, or cinnamon to give it a unique twist. You can also experiment with different dressings or sauces to create even more flavor options!
10. Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
This salad will go great with curry chicken salad, roasted chicken, or any salad for that matter.
- First, start by cooking bacon until crispy. This will add a lot of flavor to the salad and make it more delicious.
- Next, mix together mayonnaise, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to create the hot bacon dressing.
- Finally, add spinach leaves to a bowl and toss them with the hot bacon dressing. Check out my tips on how to make sure your spinach salad comes out tasting great so you don’t have to worry about it at all!
And finally, here are some ideas for adding extra flavor to this side dish:
- Add diced red onion or olives for added crunch and flavor.
- Try using roasted sweet potatoes as a substitution for the spinach leaves. They’re delicious and perfect for incorporating into any salad!
- If you want a savory side dish instead of a sweet one, then try roasted Brussels sprouts instead!
11. Spanish Rice
If you have a big pot (or a rice cooker) of Spanish rice on the stove, you are good to go!
Spanish rice is a simple dish that comes together quickly in a pot.
All you need is regular white rice, vegetable broth or water, and salt.
- Rinse the rice several times before cooking it to get rid of any excess starch.
- Add the desired amount of broth (or water) to the pot and stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes has passed, fluff up the grains with a fork and serve hot.
Here are three tips that will help make your Spanish rice come out perfect every time:
- Don’t overcook your rice! If it’s not cooked through yet, continue cooking it for another minute or two until it is. Overcooked rice can be mushy and bland.
- Don’t add too much salt when seasoning your rice. Too much salt can make your dish taste salty and gross. Try adding just a pinch instead!
- Make sure you use vegetable broth (or water) when cooking your Spanish Rice – not chicken broth or beef broth. These types of broths contain different types of spices which might affect the taste of your finished dish.
12. Lemon Orzo with Parmesan & Peas
Why not try this side dish for your next meal?
Lemon orzo is a great way to add flavor and brightness to any dish.
Lemon orzo is a type of pasta that is made from wheat flour, water, and lemon juice.
It has a very al dente texture which means it will cook quickly in boiling water.
You can also add Parmesan cheese to this dish for extra flavor and richness.
Here are some tips to make sure that your side dish comes out tasting its best.
- First, be sure to use fresh lemon juice when making the orzo.
- Second, do not overcook the orzo so that it becomes mushy.
- Third, do not add too much salt since this will overpower the flavors of the other ingredients in the dish.
13. Simple Maple Baked Beans
Whether you make these beans for a simple supper or as part of a more elaborate meal, these beans are sure to please.
First, let’s talk about what you will need. For the base of the recipe, you will need cooked white beans, diced onion, diced green bell pepper, garlic cloves, salt, and black pepper.
For the toppings, you will need either bacon or ham (or both!), tomato sauce (homemade is best), molasses, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce.
Now that we have all of our ingredients ready to go, let’s get started!
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spread out a layer of baking beans on a baking dish.
- Top with your chosen meat and sauce.
- Repeat until all of the ingredients are used up.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until everything is hot and bubbly.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
14. Vegan Quinoa Salad
Made with quinoa, chickpeas, red bell pepper, cucumber, parsley and lemon (or lime), this vegan side dish is perfect for any meal!
- First, make sure that you have quinoa prepped and ready to go. Quinoa is a great grain to use in salads as it has a mild flavor and cooks quickly.
- Next, mix chickpeas, red bell pepper, cucumber, and parsley together in a bowl. You can also add diced tomatoes or avocado if you’d like.
- Last but not least, add lemon or lime juice to taste. This will give the salad some acidity which will balance out all of the flavors and make it taste even better!
15. Oven-Roasted Carrots
These cooked carrots are oven roasted with a few seasonings (pick your favorites!) and then simmered in a easy broth until they are perfectly tender.
- One of the best tips for making oven roasted carrots is to preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit before adding your carrots. this will help them cook evenly and faster.
- Another great tip is to toss your carrots with some extra oil or butter before transferring them to the oven. This will help them get a nice, crispy exterior.
- And finally, don’t forget about the seasonings! The more you add, the more flavor your carrots will have. Try herbs like thyme, rosemary, or sage for a delicious taste!
16. Classic Broccoli Salad Recipe with Bacon
Chock full of fresh crisp broccoli, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, and bacon bits (which you can either cook in advance or add right before serving), this classic broccoli salad recipe is a great way to add some extra flavors and nutrients to your plate.
To make it even more delicious, try adding different dressings like creamy Ranch, honey-mustard, or blueberry vinaigrette. And don’t forget the crunchy toppings like chopped walnuts, crumbled bacon, or roasted Brussels sprouts!
Here are three tips that will help ensure your broccoli salad comes out tasting its best:
- Use fresh broccoli instead of frozen vegetables. Frozen vegetables often contain water and are not as crisp.
- Rinse and trim the broccoli before chopping it. The tougher stems and leaves can be discarded.
- For a faster preparation time, blanch the broccoli for 2 minutes in boiling water before adding it to the salad ingredients.
17. Roasted Brussels Sprouts
You can never go wrong with roasted Brussels sprouts!
The combination of sweetness and bitterness from the Brussels sprouts paired with the savory bacon, garlic, and olive oil is a winning combination.
Here are three tips to make sure your Brussels sprouts come out tasting their best:
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F before adding the Brussels sprouts to the baking dish. This will help them cook evenly and prevent them from becoming too soft.
- Drizzle some olive oil on top of the Brussels sprouts before baking so they can get a nice crispy coating.
- Sprinkle some salt, pepper, or herbs on top of the Brussels sprouts before baking for a bit of extra flavor.
What to Serve with Curry Chicken Salad? 17 Best Side Dishes
- Roasted Red Potatoes
- Simple Biscuits
- Easy Coleslaw
- Easy Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
- Garlic Chive Smashed Potatoes
- Roasted Asparagus
- Ranch Glazed Carrots
- Quick Classic Macaroni Salad
- Special Fruit Salad
- Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
- Spanish Rice
- Lemon Orzo with Parmesan & Peas
- Simple Maple Baked Beans
- Vegan Quinoa Salad
- Oven-Roasted Carrots
- Classic Broccoli Salad Recipe with Bacon
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Choose your favorite side dish from this list to serve with your curry chicken salad.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!