When you make egg rolls at home, it’s inevitable that you’ll wind up with leftover egg roll filling—and that can be a real bummer.
It’s such a great meal to make together as a family, but what are you supposed to do with all of that leftover filling?
Well, we have some ideas!
What to Do with Leftover Egg Roll Filling
We all know that egg roll filling is delicious, but what can you do with the leftovers?
Here are 11 creative ways to use up your egg roll leftovers:
1. Make an Omelette
If you’re looking for a way to enjoy your egg roll filling again, try making an omelette!
See Also: What Vegetables Go in An Omelette? 11 Best Vegetables
It’s a great way to use up any leftovers, and it couldn’t be simpler: just scramble your eggs in a bowl with some salt and pepper, then add your egg roll filling on top and fold over.
You can also add cheese or other ingredients if you’d like—it’s up to you! If you’re feeling like getting fancy, try adding some spinach in with your eggs—it’ll make them green like the filling from your egg rolls!
2. Add It to Soup or Stew
Cube your leftover filling and add it to hot broth along with some rice noodles or udon noodles (for extra protein).
Simmer until everything is tender then season generously with soy sauce!
Top with scallions or cilantro leaves if desired before serving warm!
3. Use It as A Topping on Macaroni and Cheese
Why not throw it on top of a hot bowl of macaroni and cheese for a delicious twist on the classic dish?
The sweet and savory combination makes this dish irresistible, so be sure not to leave any behind when it comes time for seconds.
4. Make Stir-Fry with It (we Recommend Adding Shrimp)
If you’re looking for something new and different to do with your leftover egg roll filling, try making a stir-fry!
We recommend adding shrimp for extra protein too—it’ll make dinner feel more like an actual meal instead of just an appetizer!
5. Make Eggroll Tacos
Make tacos out of your leftovers!
Simply scoop some leftover egg roll filling into warm corn tortillas (or flour if you prefer) and top with shredded cabbage, chopped cilantro leaves, diced tomatoes or salsa fresca (or both), crumbled queso fresco cheese (optional), fresh lime juice squeezed over top (optional).
Serve immediately or store in an airtight container until ready to serve—they’ll stay fresh for up to four days!
6. Deep-Fried Egg Rolls
Cut your leftover egg roll filling into strips, dip them in beaten eggs, then dredge them through panko bread crumbs or crushed cornflakes—or both if you like!
Fry these up in hot oil until golden brown on both sides and serve with sweet chili sauce for dipping!
7. Club Sandwich
This one’s for those of us who love a good sandwich!
Spread your leftover egg roll filling between two pieces of white bread with sliced turkey breast, bacon, lettuce leaves, tomato slices, pickles—and if you have them—avocado slices or fresh avocado chunks!
Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes until crispy on the edges and golden brown in color.
Top with chipotle mayonnaise before serving if desired!
8. Egg Roll Nachos
If you love nachos, then you’ll love this treat.
- Take your leftover egg roll filling, add it to a baking dish, and top with tortilla chips.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and enjoy!
9. Egg Roll Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Heat up your favorite slice of bread in the oven for 5-10 minutes until warm and crispy on the outside.
Spread mayonnaise evenly onto both slices of bread and add chopped celery or pickled jalapeños if desired (these are optional).
Layer on cheddar cheese then top with egg roll filling before pressing together into one sandwich!
10. Egg Roll Salad
Another creative way to use up the leftover egg roll filling, is to make an egg roll salad!
This easy dinner idea is perfect for when you’re craving something light and healthy—it’s also great for lunch or as an appetizer.
What You’ll Need:
Your favorite greens (we love spinach or arugula)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup edamame beans (shelled)
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (or any color!)
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber (or any kind!)
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken breast (chopped into small pieces)
- Sesame seeds (optional)
How To Make It:
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the dressing of choice and toss until everything is evenly mixed together.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately!
11. Fried Rice
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, sauté 2 cups leftover egg roll filling in 1 tablespoon olive oil for 5 minutes until heated through and slightly crisp on the edges.
- Add 2 cups cooked rice and stir until evenly coated with oil and heated through (about 7 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper if desired before serving!
12. Potstickers (fold in leftover egg roll filling)
If you’re looking for an easy way to use up those leftover egg rolls, try making potstickers!
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add half of your leftover egg roll filling and cook until heated through. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate. Wipe out any excess oil with a paper towel and repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Place one of your cooked egg roll fillings on your work surface and top with 1 tablespoon of hoisin sauce, 1 tablespoon of water chestnut slaw, and 1 tablespoon of cilantro leaves (or cilantro lime crema). Fold over the bottom corner of the wrapper so that it covers about one-third of the center fold line; press down lightly to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers until all filling is used up!
- Place each finished dumpling seam side down onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat mat; repeat until all dumplings are done! Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes until golden brown in color; remove from oven once done and serve immediately with additional hoisin sauce for dipping if desired!
13. Egg Roll Tostadas
For an easy weeknight dinner solution, make egg roll tostadas!
- Spread your leftover egg roll filling over a corn tortilla and top with shredded lettuce, tomato slices, and pickled jalapeño slices.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes until crispy on the edges and golden brown in color.
- Top with chopped cilantro leaves or cilantro lime crema before serving!
14. Cheesy Egg Rolls
For an extra-special treat, try making cheesy egg rolls out of your leftover filling.
- First, cook your rice according to package instructions.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté sliced onions until soft and translucent before adding diced peppers and garlic cloves to the pan.
- Cook for about 2 minutes before adding cooked rice and stirring everything together until heated through again.
- Remove from heat once ready then top each serving with shredded cheese!
15. Egg Roll Mac n Cheese Bowl
If you’re looking for a recipe that lets you get creative with your leftovers, try this one on for size: Make an egg roll mac n cheese bowl!
Simply add leftover egg roll filling to cooked noodles along with cheese sauce (or just add more cheese) for a delicious dinner idea that will keep everyone happy!
16. Eat it Like Candy
If you have small children around, this is a great way to get them to eat their veggies by turning them into something sweet!
Simply crumble up some leftover egg roll filling into little balls and serve as dessert—or even just as an afternoon snack!
You can also use this technique to make meatballs for spaghetti or meatloaf instead of buying store-bought meatballs (they’ll be cheaper too!).
What to Do with Leftover Egg Roll Filling: 16 Creative Ideas
- Make an Omelette
- Add It to Soup or Stew
- Use It as A Topping on Macaroni and Cheese
- Make Stir-Fry with It (we Recommend Adding Shrimp)
- Make Eggroll Tacos
- Deep-Fried Egg Rolls
- Oscar-Mayer Club Sandwich
- Egg Roll Nachos
- Egg Roll Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Egg Roll Salad
- Fried Rice
- Potstickers (fold in leftover egg roll filling)
- Egg Roll Tostadas
- Cheesy Egg Rolls
- Egg Roll Mac n Cheese Bowl
- Eat it Like Candy
- Pick your favorite idea from our list of ways to use up egg roll filling.
- Prepare the rest of your meal.
- Be ready to munch in no time!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.