A steak sandwich is a classic dish that never fails to please.
But what makes it even better?
A delicious sauce, of course!
Whether you’re looking for something creamy or something spicy, there are plenty of sauces that can take your steak sandwich to the next level.
From mayonnaise-based sauces to ketchup-based ones, here are five of the best sauces for steak sandwiches.
Why Use A Sauce In Your Steak Sandwich Recipe?
A sauce can add a lot of flavor to your steak sandwich.
It can also help keep the meat moist and tender, as well as adding an extra layer of texture.
A good sauce will complement the flavors in the steak, while providing a contrast to its richness.
For example, a tangy mustard or horseradish cream sauce can provide a nice balance to the savory flavors of the steak.
Or you could opt for something sweet like BBQ or teriyaki sauce for an added sweetness that pairs nicely with grilled meats.
Sauces are also great for adding some heat if you’re looking for something spicy!
The 5 Best Sauces for Steak Sandwiches
Steak sandwiches are a classic dish, but the key to making them truly delicious is in the sauce.
Here we look at five sauces that will enhance the flavor of your steak sandwich:
1. Worcestershire Mayonnaise (My favorite for steak sandwiches)
Worcestershire mayonnaise is a condiment made from whole grain mustard, worcestershire sauce, garlic, and mayonnaise.
It has a tangy flavor with a hint of sweetness that pairs well with steak sandwiches.
- How to Make It: To make Worcestershire mayonnaise, combine 1/4 cup of whole grain mustard, 2 tablespoons of worcestershire sauce, 1 clove of minced garlic, and 1 cup of mayonnaise in a bowl. Mix until all ingredients are fully incorporated. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Common Uses: Worcestershire mayonnaise is most commonly used as a condiment for steak sandwiches or burgers. It can also be used as a dip for vegetables or chips and as an ingredient in salad dressings or sauces.
2. Creamy Horseradish Sauce
Creamy horseradish sauce is a condiment made from sour cream, apple cider vinegar, mayonnaise, black pepper, and prepared horseradish.
It has a creamy texture and a spicy kick that comes from the horseradish.
- How to Make It: To make creamy horseradish sauce, combine 1/2 cup of sour cream with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. Stir in 2 tablespoons of prepared horseradish until everything is well combined. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Common Uses: Creamy horseradish sauce is commonly used as an accompaniment for steak sandwiches or burgers but can also be used as a dip for vegetables or chips. It’s also great on roasted potatoes or added to mashed potatoes for extra flavor and spice!
3. Garlic Aioli (great for skirt steak)
Garlic aioli is a creamy condiment made with garlic, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and black pepper.
It has a garlicky flavor and a smooth texture that makes it perfect for spreading on sandwiches or using as a dip.
- How to Make It: To make garlic aioli, start by mashing two cloves of garlic in a mortar and pestle until they form a paste. In a bowl, combine the mashed garlic with 1/2 cup of mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. Whisk everything together until it’s well combined. Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Common Uses: Garlic Aioli is commonly used as an accompaniment to steak sandwiches or burgers but can also be used as an ingredient in other dishes such as fish tacos or roasted vegetables. It can also be served alongside grilled meats or seafood for added flavor.
4. Honey Garlic Mayo
Honey garlic mayo is a condiment made from mayonnaise, honey, and garlic.
It has a sweet and savory flavor that pairs well with steak sandwiches or other grilled meats.
- How to Make It: To make honey garlic mayo, combine 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons of honey and 1 clove of minced garlic in a bowl. Mix until all the ingredients are evenly combined. Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning as desired.
- Common Uses: Honey garlic mayo is commonly used as a condiment for a steak sandwich recipe or burgers, but it can also be used as a dip for vegetables or chips. It’s also great on salads or as an ingredient in dressings and sauces.
5. Béarnaise Sauce (fan favorite for most sandwiches)
Béarnaise sauce is a classic French sauce made from clarified butter, egg yolks, white wine vinegar, shallots, tarragon and chervil.
It is one of the five mother sauces in French cuisine and is often served with steaks or fish.
- How to Make It: To make béarnaise sauce, start by making a reduction of white wine vinegar and shallots. Then add chopped fresh herbs such as tarragon and chervil. Next, whisk together egg yolks and the reduced mixture until it thickens slightly. Finally, slowly add melted clarified butter while continuing to whisk until the desired consistency is reached.
- Common Uses: Béarnaise sauce can be used as a condiment for steak sandwiches or burgers. It also pairs well with grilled meats such as steak or lamb chops. Additionally, it can be used as a dip for vegetables or french fries.
6 Tips for Making the Perfect Steak Sandwich in Minutes
If you’re short on time but craving a delicious steak sandwich, here are 6 tips to help you make the perfect sandwich in minutes:
- Choose the right steak: For a tender and juicy sandwich, choose a steak that is well-marbled and has good fat content. Ribeye or sirloin steak are great options. Rub the steak with olive oil and season with black pepper and pepper before cooking.
- Cook the steak properly: For a medium-rare steak, cook it on a preheated grill or in a hot cast-iron skillet for 3-4 minutes per side. Let it rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- Slice the steak thinly: Use a sharp knife to slice the steak against the grain into thin strips. This will ensure that the meat is tender and easy to eat in a sandwich.
- Sauté onions and peppers: Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté sliced onions and peppers until they are tender and caramelized. This will add flavor and texture to your sandwich.
- Choose the right sauce: A good sauce can elevate a steak sandwich to the next level. Consider making a homemade steak sauce with black pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic, or try a spicy horseradish cream sauce for a kick of flavor. Don’t forget to spread the sauce on both sides of the bread for maximum flavor.
- Make it a meal: To turn your steak sandwich into a complete dinner, serve it with a side salad, roasted vegetables, or sweet potato fries. Check out some easy dinner recipes online to get inspiration for side dishes that pair well with steak. This will ensure that your meal is well-balanced and satisfying.
With these tips, you can create a delicious steak sandwich that is packed with flavor and ready in minutes. It’s the perfect main dish for a quick and easy dinner recipe that will leave you satisfied and full.
In conclusion, steak sandwiches are a delicious and easy meal that can be enjoyed any day of the week.
To make them even more flavorful and satisfying, it’s important to select the right sauce.
The best sauces for steak sandwiches are Worcestershire mayonnaise, creamy horseradish sauce, garlic aioli, honey garlic mayo, and béarnaise sauce. Each of these sauces adds a unique flavor and texture to the sandwich, allowing you to create a variety of delicious steak sandwich recipes.
So, the next time you’re making a steak sandwich, try one of these sauces to make it extra special.
The 5 Best Sauces for Steak Sandwiches
- Worcestershire Mayonnaise
- Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- Garlic Aioli
- Honey Garlic Mayo
- Béarnaise Sauce
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a sauce recipe in 30 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.