Lamb chops are one of my favorite dishes to make.
Whether you’re grilling them or cooking them in the oven, they always turn out deliciously tender and juicy.
The only thing that can make lamb chops even better is a flavorful sauce.
From creamy white sauces to tangy red ones, there are so many options for dressing up your dish.
In this article, I’m going to share 17 of the best sauces for lamb chops that will take your meal from good to great!
- What Vegetables Go With Lamb Chops? 15 Best Veggies
- Lamb Chops Wine Pairing – The Best Wines for Lamb Chops
Why Pair Lamb Chops With A Sauce?
Lamb chops are a delicious and flavorful cut of meat, but they can be quite lean.
To add moisture and flavor to the dish, it’s best to pair lamb chops with a sauce.
Sauces can help bring out the natural flavors of the meat while also adding complexity to the dish.
A classic pairing for lamb chops is mint jelly or mint sauce, which adds sweetness and freshness that complements the richness of the meat.
Other sauces such as balsamic glaze, chimichurri, pesto, or red wine reduction can also be used to enhance the flavor of your lamb chops.
Additionally, sauces provide an opportunity for you to experiment with different flavors and create unique dishes that will impress your guests!
17 Best Sauces for Lamb Chops
Lamb chops are a delicious and versatile cut of meat, but they can be easily overwhelmed by the wrong sauce.
To make sure your lamb chops have the perfect flavor profile, here are 17 sauces that will complement their unique taste:
1. Mint Cilantro Chutney (Indian Green Chutney)
Mint cilantro chutney is a condiment made from fresh mint leaves, cilantro, and other spices.
It is usually served as an accompaniment to Indian dishes such as lamb chops or curries.
- To Make It: To make mint cilantro chutney, combine 1 cup of fresh mint leaves with 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro in a food processor. Add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger, and salt to taste. Process until the mixture is smooth. If desired, add more lemon juice or sugar for flavor.
- Common Uses: Mint cilantro chutney can be used as a dip for vegetables or chips; it can also be spread on sandwiches or wraps for added flavor. Additionally, it can be used as a marinade for meats such as lamb chops before grilling them; the acidity in the lemon juice helps tenderize the meat while adding flavor at the same time.
Chermoula is a North African condiment made from a blend of herbs, spices, and aromatics.
It is typically used as a marinade for fish or meat, but can also be used as a dip or sauce.
The ingredients vary depending on the region it comes from, but common ingredients include garlic, cumin, paprika, coriander seed, lemon juice and zest, olive oil and parsley.
- To Make It: To make chermoula you will need to combine all of the ingredients in a food processor or blender until they are well blended. You may need to add more olive oil if the mixture is too thick. Once blended together you can adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Common Uses: Chermoula is most commonly used as a marinade for fish or meat dishes such as lamb chops. It can also be served as an accompaniment to couscous or rice dishes. Additionally it makes an excellent dip for vegetables such as carrots and celery sticks when mixed with yogurt or sour cream.
3. Chimichurri Sauce
Chimichurri sauce is a traditional Argentinian condiment made from parsley, garlic, olive oil, oregano, and vinegar.
It is usually served with grilled meats such as steak or lamb chops.
- To Make It: To make chimichurri sauce, combine fresh parsley leaves (about 1 cup), 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil, 1 teaspoon of dried oregano leaves (or 2 teaspoons of fresh oregano leaves), and 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar in a food processor or blender. Blend until the ingredients are combined and the mixture has reached a smooth consistency.
- Common Uses: Chimichurri sauce can be used as a marinade for meats before grilling or roasting them. It can also be used as a condiment to accompany grilled meats such as steak or lamb chops. The sauce can also be used to add flavor to sandwiches and salads.
4. Mustard-Thyme Sauce
Mustard-Thyme Sauce is a condiment made from mustard, thyme, and other ingredients.
It has a tangy flavor with a hint of sweetness and an earthy aroma from the thyme.
- To Make It: To make Mustard-Thyme Sauce, combine 1/4 cup of Dijon mustard with 2 tablespoons of honey, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 teaspoon dried), and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk all the ingredients together until they are well combined.
- Common Uses: Mustard-Thyme Sauce is commonly used as a marinade for lamb chops or other meats before grilling or roasting them. It can also be used as a dipping sauce for vegetables or as a spread on sandwiches.
5. Rosemary Garlic Cream Sauce
Rosemary garlic cream sauce is a creamy, savory sauce made with rosemary, garlic, and heavy cream.
It’s a simple yet flavorful accompaniment to many dishes, especially lamb chops.
- To Make It: To make the sauce, start by heating some butter in a pan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and chopped fresh rosemary leaves and cook until fragrant. Pour in the heavy cream and bring it to a simmer while stirring constantly. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes or until thickened slightly before removing from heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Common Uses: This creamy rosemary garlic sauce pairs perfectly with grilled or roasted lamb chops as well as other meats such as pork tenderloin or chicken breasts. It can also be used as a dip for vegetables like carrots or broccoli florets, or served over mashed potatoes or pasta dishes for an extra boost of flavor!
6. Scallion Ginger Sauce
Scallion ginger sauce is a condiment made from scallions, ginger, garlic, and oil.
It is commonly used in Chinese cuisine as a dipping sauce or marinade for meats and vegetables.
- To Make It: To make scallion ginger sauce, you will need 1/2 cup of chopped scallions (green onions), 2 tablespoons of minced fresh ginger root, 1 tablespoon of minced garlic, 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, and 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until everything is well blended.
- Common Uses: Scallion ginger sauce can be used as a dipping sauce for dumplings or spring rolls. It can also be used to marinate meats such as lamb chops before grilling or roasting them. The flavor pairs especially well with grilled lamb chops served over rice or noodles.
7. Roasted Red Pepper Relish
Roasted red pepper relish is a condiment made from roasted red peppers, onions, garlic, and herbs.
It has a sweet and smoky flavor that pairs well with grilled meats such as lamb chops.
- To Make It: To make roasted red pepper relish, start by roasting the peppers over an open flame or in the oven until they are charred and blistered. Peel off the skins and remove the seeds before chopping them into small pieces. Then sauté some onion and garlic in olive oil until softened before adding the chopped peppers to the pan. Add some fresh herbs like oregano or thyme for extra flavor, then simmer everything together until it forms a thick sauce-like consistency.
- Common Uses: Roasted red pepper relish can be used as a condiment on sandwiches or burgers, stirred into pasta dishes for added flavor, served alongside grilled meats like lamb chops or steak, or even spread onto toast for breakfast!
8. Italian Gremolata
Italian Gremolata is a traditional condiment from Italy, made with fresh parsley, garlic, and lemon zest.
It’s usually served as an accompaniment to dishes such as osso buco or lamb chops.
- To Make It: To make gremolata, finely mince the parsley leaves and garlic cloves together until they are almost paste-like in consistency. Then add the freshly grated lemon zest and mix everything together until it forms a thick paste. The mixture should be used immediately after making it for best flavor.
- Common Uses: Gremolata can be used to top grilled meats like lamb chops or steak, roasted vegetables, fish dishes such as salmon or cod, risotto dishes, pasta dishes like spaghetti carbonara or lasagna bolognese. It can also be added to soups and stews for extra flavor.
Persillade is a French condiment made from garlic, parsley, and other herbs.
It is used to flavor dishes such as grilled meats, fish, vegetables, and potatoes.
- To Make It: To make persillade, finely chop fresh parsley leaves and mix them with minced garlic cloves. You can also add other herbs like thyme or oregano for additional flavor. The mixture should be combined with olive oil to form a paste-like consistency that can be spread over the food before cooking or served as a condiment on the side.
- Common Uses: Persillade is commonly used in French cuisine to season lamb chops and other grilled meats. It can also be added to roasted vegetables or potatoes for extra flavor. Additionally, it makes an excellent topping for crostini or bruschetta appetizers.
10. Garlic Yogurt Sauce
Garlic yogurt sauce is a creamy, tangy condiment made from plain yogurt, garlic, and herbs.
It can be used as a dip or spread for sandwiches and wraps, or as an accompaniment to grilled meats such as lamb chops.
- To Make It: To make garlic yogurt sauce, combine 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt with 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley or dill (or both), 1 teaspoon of lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix all the ingredients together until they are well combined.
- Common Uses: Garlic yogurt sauce is commonly served with grilled meats such as lamb chops or kebabs. It can also be used as a dip for vegetables or chips, or spread on sandwiches and wraps for added flavor.
11. Tzatziki Sauce
Tzatziki sauce is a traditional Greek condiment made from yogurt, cucumber, garlic, olive oil, and herbs.
It has a creamy texture and a refreshing flavor that pairs well with many dishes.
- To Make It: To make tzatziki sauce, start by grating one large cucumber into a bowl. Add 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt to the bowl along with 2 cloves of minced garlic, 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix all the ingredients together until they are fully combined. Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving so that the flavors can meld together.
- Common Uses: Tzatziki sauce is commonly served as an accompaniment to grilled meats such as lamb chops or gyros. It can also be used as a dip for vegetables or pita chips or spread on sandwiches instead of mayonnaise or mustard.
12. Harissa Mayonnaise
Harissa mayonnaise is a condiment made from harissa paste, which is a spicy North African chili pepper paste, and mayonnaise.
It has a creamy texture and a spicy kick that pairs well with grilled meats such as lamb chops.
- To Make It: To make harissa mayonnaise, combine 1/4 cup of store-bought or homemade harissa paste with 1 cup of mayonnaise in a bowl. Mix until the ingredients are fully combined and the mixture is smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired.
- Common Uses: Harissa mayonnaise can be used as an accompaniment to grilled meats such as lamb chops, burgers, steaks, or chicken breasts. It can also be used as a dip for vegetables or chips, spread on sandwiches or wraps, or served alongside roasted potatoes or other root vegetables.
13. BBQ Sauce
BBQ sauce is a condiment made from a combination of ingredients such as tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, and spices.
It is used to add flavor to grilled meats, especially pork and beef.
The sauce can be either sweet or spicy depending on the recipe used.
- To Make It: Making your own BBQ sauce at home is easy and allows you to customize it according to your taste preferences. Start by combining ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder (optional), smoked paprika (optional), cayenne pepper (optional), apple cider vinegar and black pepper in a medium-sized bowl. Whisk all the ingredients together until they are well combined. Taste the mixture and adjust any seasonings if needed before transferring it into an airtight container for storage in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Common Uses: BBQ sauce can be used as a marinade for meats like chicken or pork chops before grilling them; it can also be brushed onto meat while cooking or served alongside cooked meat as a dipping sauce. Additionally, it can be used as a base for flavors like garlic, onion, and horseradish or used in recipes like pulled pork sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, or even pizza.
14. Hoisin Sauce
Hoisin sauce is a thick, dark-colored condiment made from fermented soybeans, garlic, chilies, and various spices.
It has a sweet and savory flavor with hints of molasses and five-spice powder.
The name hoisin comes from the Chinese words for ‘seafood‘ (海鮮) and ‘sauce’ (沙茶).
- To Make It: To make hoisin sauce at home, combine equal parts of black bean paste or miso paste with honey or brown sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic powder, ground ginger and five-spice powder in a bowl. Whisk until all ingredients are combined. Taste the mixture to adjust sweetness or spiciness as desired.
- Common Uses: Hoisin sauce is commonly used as a dipping sauce for meats such as pork or duck but can also be used to marinate meat before cooking. It’s also often used in stir-fries to add flavor and depth of taste. Additionally it can be added to soups or sauces for extra flavor.
15. Dijon Mustard Sauce
Dijon mustard sauce is a condiment made from Dijon mustard, which is a type of prepared mustard originating in the French city of Dijon.
It is made with white wine or verjuice, and sometimes other ingredients such as herbs, spices, and honey.
- To Make It: To make the sauce, combine equal parts of Dijon mustard and mayonnaise in a bowl. Add some minced garlic and fresh herbs like parsley or chives to taste. For an extra kick of flavor, add some Worcestershire sauce or hot sauce. Mix all the ingredients together until they are well combined.
- Common Uses: This creamy condiment can be used as a dip for vegetables or chips, spread on sandwiches or burgers, drizzled over roasted vegetables or grilled meats like lamb chops, added to salad dressings for extra flavor and creaminess, stirred into mashed potatoes for an extra punch of flavor, and more!
- Varieties: There are many varieties of Dijon mustard sauces available on the market today including classic yellow Dijon mustards as well as more creative versions like honey Dijon and whole-grain Dijon. Some versions also include ingredients like horseradish, truffle oil, or Dijon mustard combined with mayonnaise for a creamy texture.
16. Honey Mustard Sauce
Honey mustard sauce is a condiment made from honey, mustard, and other ingredients such as mayonnaise or sour cream.
It has a sweet-tangy flavor that pairs well with many dishes.
- To Make It: To make honey mustard sauce, combine equal parts of honey and Dijon or yellow mustard in a bowl. Then add 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise for every 2 tablespoons of the honey-mustard mixture. Stir until all the ingredients are combined and the sauce is smooth. You can also add other seasonings to taste such as garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, or Worcestershire sauce.
- Common Uses: Honey mustard sauce is commonly used as a dip for chicken tenders or nuggets but it can also be used to top sandwiches and burgers or drizzled over salads. It’s also great on roasted vegetables like potatoes and carrots or served alongside grilled meats like pork chops and lamb chops.
- Varieties: There are many variations of honey mustard sauces including spicy versions made with hot sauces like Sriracha; creamy versions made with sour cream or Greek yogurt; and sweet versions made with brown sugar. You can also make a homemade honey mustard sauce with different types of mustards such as Dijon, grainy, or honey mustard.
17. Coconut Curry Sauce
Coconut curry sauce is a creamy, flavorful sauce made from coconut milk, curry powder, and other spices.
It is commonly used in Southeast Asian cuisine to add flavor to dishes such as curries, stir-fries, and noodle dishes.
- To Make It: To make coconut curry sauce at home, start by heating some oil in a pan over medium heat. Add your favorite curry powder and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Then add the coconut milk and bring it to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Finally, season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- Common Uses: Coconut curry sauce can be used as a marinade for meats like chicken or lamb chops before grilling or baking them; as an accompaniment for steamed vegetables; as a dip for fried foods like spring rolls; or even as a topping on pizza!
- Varieties: There are many variations of coconut curry sauces that you can make depending on your preference – some recipes call for adding ginger or garlic paste while others may include different types of curry powder, such as korma or tandoori. For a spicier version, you can add some chili powder or cayenne pepper. Additionally, some recipes may also include other ingredients such as coconut cream, fish sauce, lime juice, and/or cilantro.
In conclusion, when it comes to sauces for lamb chops, the possibilities are endless.
From mint chutney with cilantro to curry sauce, there is a wide selection of sauces to choose from.
The best sauces for lamb chops are mint chutney with cilantro, chermoula, chimichurri sauce, mustard-thyme sauce, garlic rosemary sauce, ginger sauce, roasted red pepper relish, gremolata, persillade, yogurt sauce, za’atar yogurt sauce, harissa mayonnaise, BBQ sauce, hoisin sauce, dijon sauce, honey mustard sauce, and curry sauce.
Each of these sauces will give your lamb chops a unique flavor, so take your time to explore all the options and find the one that best suits your taste.
17 Best Sauces for Lamb Chops
- Mint Cilantro Chutney (Indian Green Chutney)
- Chimichurri Sauce
- Mustard-Thyme Sauce
- Rosemary Garlic Cream Sauce
- Scallion Ginger Sauce
- Roasted Red Pepper Relish
- Italian Gremolata
- Garlic Yogurt Sauce
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Harissa Mayonnaise
- BBQ Sauce
- Hoisin Sauce
- Dijon Mustard Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Coconut Curry Sauce
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a sauce recipe in 30 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.