Are you looking for the perfect sauce to accompany your jerk chicken?
Jerk chicken is a popular Jamaican dish that has become increasingly popular in North America.
It’s flavorful, spicy and incredibly delicious – but it can be even better with the right sauce.
But what type of sauce should you use?
With so many options out there, it can be hard to know which one will work best.
That’s why I’ve put together this list of the seven best sauces for jerk chicken.
From sweet and tangy to smoky and spicy, these sauces will take your dish from good to great!
Why Serve A Sauce with Jerk Chicken?
- To add flavor: Jerk chicken is a spicy dish, and adding a sauce can help to balance out the heat with sweetness or acidity. A sweet and tangy mango salsa or a creamy coconut-based sauce are both great options for cooling down the spiciness of jerk chicken while still providing an extra layer of flavor.
- To provide moisture: Sauces can also help to keep jerk chicken moist and juicy as it cooks, especially when grilling or roasting in the oven. The added liquid helps to prevent the meat from drying out during cooking, resulting in tender, flavorful jerk chicken every time.
- For presentation: Serving jerk chicken with a colorful sauce adds visual appeal to any plate and makes it look more appetizing than just plain grilled or roasted meat on its own. It’s also an easy way to dress up your meal without having to do too much work!
The 7 Best Sauces for Jerk Chicken
Jerk chicken is a popular Caribbean dish, and adding the right sauce can make it even more flavorful.
If you’re looking for an alternative to traditional jerk sauces, here are seven great options that will still give you all the flavor and spice you’re looking for:
1. Cilantro Lime Sauce
Cilantro lime sauce is a creamy, tangy condiment made with cilantro, lime juice, garlic, and mayonnaise.
It has a bright flavor that pairs perfectly with spicy jerk chicken or tacos.
- How To Make It: Start by combining 1 cup of mayonnaise, 2 cloves of minced garlic, the juice from one lime (about 2 tablespoons), and 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro in a bowl. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Common Uses: Cilantro lime sauce can be used as a dip for chips or vegetables, as an accompaniment to grilled meats or fish dishes, or even as a spread on sandwiches or wraps. It’s also great for adding flavor to tacos and burritos!
2. Jerk BBQ Sauce
Jerk BBQ sauce is a spicy, sweet, and smoky condiment made with apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, and jerk seasoning.
It’s a popular Caribbean-style barbecue sauce that can be used to marinate or baste meats such as chicken, pork, beef, fish, and vegetables.
- How To Make It: Start by combining 1 cup of apple cider vinegar with 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke in a medium bowl. Then add 1 tablespoon of jerk seasoning (or more if you like it spicier) and mix until everything is well combined. Taste the mixture and adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- Common Uses: Jerk BBQ sauce can be used as a marinade for meats before grilling or baking them in the oven. It can also be brushed onto cooked foods during the last few minutes of cooking for added flavor. The sauce pairs especially well with grilled chicken or pork chops but can also be used on other proteins such as beef or fish. Additionally, it makes an excellent dipping sauce for fried foods like french fries or onion rings!
3. Spicy Hot Honey Sauce
Spicy Hot Honey Sauce is a sweet and spicy condiment made with honey, apple cider vinegar, chili powder, and chili flakes.
It’s the perfect combination of sweet and heat that adds an extra kick to any dish.
- How To Make It: To make Spicy Hot Honey Sauce, you’ll need 1/4 cup of honey, 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of chili flakes. In a small bowl or jar combine all ingredients until well blended. The sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Common Uses: This sauce is great on jerk chicken as it adds a nice balance between the sweetness from the honey and the spiciness from the chili powder and flakes. It also pairs nicely with grilled vegetables or roasted potatoes for added flavor. Additionally, it can be used as a dip for chips or crackers or even drizzled over ice cream for a unique dessert experience!
4. Hot Sauce
Hot sauce is a condiment made from chili peppers, vinegar, and other ingredients.
It can range in flavor from mild to extremely spicy and is used to add heat and flavor to dishes.
- How To Make It: Start by combining chopped chili peppers with garlic, onion, salt, pepper, sugar or honey (for sweetness), and vinegar in a blender or food processor. Blend until the mixture is smooth then transfer it to a pot over medium-high heat. Simmer for 10 minutes then strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve into an airtight container. Let cool before serving.
- Common Uses: Hot sauce can be used as an ingredient in marinades or sauces for meats like chicken wings or ribs; added to soups or stews; drizzled over tacos; stirred into dips; mixed into mayonnaise for sandwiches; sprinkled on eggs; added to Bloody Marys; served alongside grilled vegetables; used as a topping for pizza; mixed into dressings for salads; blended with cream cheese for bagel spreads…the possibilities are endless!
5. Spicy Pineapple Sauce
Spicy pineapple sauce is a sweet and spicy condiment made with pineapple juice, brown sugar, fresh pineapple, red pepper flakes, and rice vinegar.
It has a unique flavor that combines the sweetness of the pineapple with the heat of the red pepper flakes.
- How to Make It: To make spicy pineapple sauce, start by combining 1 cup of pineapple juice, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of diced fresh pineapple (or canned crushed or tidbits), 1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes, and 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes until thickened slightly. Remove from heat and let cool before serving.
- Common Uses: Spicy Pineapple Sauce can be used as an accompaniment for jerk chicken or other grilled meats such as pork chops or ribs. It can also be used as a dip for fried foods like chicken wings or fish sticks. Additionally it makes an excellent topping for tacos or burritos when combined with sour cream or Greek yogurt.
6. Creamy Chipotle Yogurt Sauce
Creamy Chipotle Yogurt Sauce is a creamy, spicy sauce made with Greek yogurt, chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, garlic, lime juice and cilantro.
It has a smoky flavor from the chipotles and a hint of sweetness from the Greek yogurt.
- How To Make It: To make this sauce, combine 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt with 2 tablespoons of adobo sauce (from canned chipotle peppers), 1 minced garlic clove, 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice and 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Common Uses: This creamy chipotle yogurt sauce is great for adding some heat to tacos, burritos or enchiladas. It can also be used as a dip for chips or vegetables or as an accompaniment to grilled meats like jerk chicken or pork chops.
7. Chili-Garlic Sauce
Chili-garlic sauce is a spicy condiment made from chili peppers, garlic, and other ingredients.
It is commonly used in Asian cuisine as a dipping sauce or marinade for meats and vegetables.
The flavor of the sauce can vary depending on the type of chili pepper used and how much garlic is added.
- How to Make It: To make chili-garlic sauce, start by combining minced garlic with chopped fresh chilies in a food processor or blender. Add some oil to help create a smooth paste. Then add soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, vinegar, and lime juice to taste. Blend until everything is combined into a thick paste.
- Common Uses: Chili-garlic sauce can be used as an accompaniment to many dishes such as jerk chicken or grilled meats like steak or pork chops. It can also be used as a marinade for seafood dishes like shrimp or salmon before grilling or baking them in the oven. Additionally, it makes an excellent dip for fried foods like spring rolls and egg rolls.
In conclusion, jerk chicken is a flavorful and spicy dish that can be enjoyed with a variety of sauces.
From cilantro lime sauce to spicy hot honey sauce, there are plenty of delicious choices to pair with jerk chicken.
The best sauces for jerk chicken are cilantro lime sauce, jerk BBQ sauce, spicy hot honey sauce, hot sauce, spicy pineapple sauce, creamy chipotle yogurt sauce, and chili-garlic sauce. Each of these sauces offers a unique flavor and can take your jerk chicken dish to the next level.
So, the next time you’re craving jerk chicken, don’t forget to try one of these delicious sauces to complete your meal.
The 7 Best Sauces for Jerk Chicken
- Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Jerk BBQ Sauce
- Spicy Hot Honey Sauce
- Hot Sauce
- Spicy Pineapple Sauce
- Creamy Chipotle Yogurt Sauce
- Chili-Garlic Sauce
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a sauce recipe in 30 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.