Onion rings are a classic side dish that can be found in many restaurants and fast food chains.
But what really makes them stand out is the sauce they’re served with.
Whether you like your onion rings sweet or savory, there’s something for everyone.
From ranch to honey mustard and even spicy mayo, here are 10 of the best sauces for onion rings that will take your meal to the next level.
What Are Onion Rings?
Onion rings are a popular snack and side dish made from sliced onions that have been dipped in batter or breadcrumbs and deep-fried.
They can be served as an appetizer, side dish, or main course.
Onion rings are usually served with ketchup, mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, ranch dressing, honey mustard sauce, or other dipping sauces.
Onion rings can be made with either sweet onions (such as Vidalia) or yellow onions.
The onion slices are typically cut into thick circles and then battered before being fried in oil until golden brown and crispy.
Some recipes call for the onion to be soaked in buttermilk before it is battered to help tenderize the onion slices and give them a more flavorful coating when fried.
Other recipes call for beer instead of buttermilk for added flavor.
10 Best Sauces for Onion Rings
Onion rings are a delicious snack, but they can be made even better with the right sauce.
So if you’re looking for the perfect pairing for your onion rings, here are ten sauces that will bring out their flavor:
1. Mustard Cream Sauce
Mustard cream sauce is a creamy, tangy condiment made with mustard, cream, and other seasonings.
It’s often served as a dipping sauce for onion rings or french fries.
- Taste: The flavor of the mustard cream sauce is slightly sweet and tangy from the mustard, with a hint of garlic and herbs. The texture is smooth and creamy.
- Texture: The texture of the mustard cream sauce is thick but still pourable. It should be able to coat whatever it’s being served with without dripping off.
- How To Make It: To make this delicious condiment, combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon honey or agave nectar (optional), 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder (optional), and salt and pepper to taste in a bowl until well combined. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Outback Blooming Onion Sauce is a creamy, tangy dipping sauce that was created to accompany the popular Outback Steakhouse appetizer, the blooming onion.
The sauce is made with mayonnaise, sour cream, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, and spices.
- Taste: The flavor of this sauce is creamy and tangy with a hint of heat from the horseradish. It has a slightly sweet taste due to the Worcestershire sauce and spices.
- Texture: This dip has a thick texture that clings to whatever it’s served with. It’s not runny or watery like some sauces can be.
- How To Make It: All you need are mayonnaise, sour cream, prepared horseradish (or freshly grated), Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and cayenne pepper (optional). Simply mix all ingredients together in a bowl until well combined and serve chilled alongside your favorite fried onion rings or other appetizers.
3. Red Robin Campfire Sauce (Copycat Recipe)
Red Robin Campfire Sauce is a creamy, smoky, and slightly sweet sauce that was created by the popular restaurant chain Red Robin.
It’s perfect for dipping onion rings or other fried foods.
- Taste: The flavor of this copycat recipe is very similar to the original version served at Red Robin. It has a creamy base with notes of smokiness from smoked paprika and Worcestershire sauce, as well as sweetness from brown sugar and honey.
- Texture: This sauce has a thick, creamy texture that coats whatever it’s served with nicely.
4. Horseradish Cream Sauce
Horseradish cream sauce is a creamy condiment made from horseradish, mayonnaise, sour cream, and seasonings.
It has a pungent flavor that pairs well with fried foods like onion rings.
- Taste: The horseradish gives the sauce its signature spicy kick while the mayonnaise and sour cream add richness and tanginess. The other seasonings such as garlic powder, salt, pepper, and lemon juice help to balance out the flavors.
- Texture: This sauce has a thick yet creamy texture that coats food nicely without being too heavy or overpowering.
- How To Make It: Simply combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Taste it for seasoning adjustments before serving with your favorite fried foods like onion rings or french fries!
5. Chili Sauce
Chili sauce is a condiment made from chili peppers, vinegar, sugar, and other ingredients.
It is often used as a dipping sauce for onion rings or french fries.
- Taste: Chili sauce has a sweet and spicy flavor with a hint of tanginess from the vinegar. The heat level can vary depending on the type of chili pepper used in the recipe.
- Texture: Chili sauce has a thick consistency that clings to food well. It’s not too runny or watery like some sauces can be.
- How To Make It: All you need are some fresh chili peppers (or dried if you prefer), white vinegar, sugar, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Start by blending all of the ingredients together until smooth then simmer over low heat for about 10 minutes until it thickens up slightly. Let cool before serving with your favorite onion rings or french fries!
Garlic aioli is a creamy, garlicky condiment made from garlic, egg yolks, oil, and lemon juice.
It is similar to mayonnaise but has a more intense flavor due to the addition of garlic.
- Taste: The taste of garlic aioli is bold and pungent with an unmistakable garlicky flavor that lingers on the tongue. It also has a slight tanginess from the lemon juice which helps to balance out the richness of the egg yolks and oil.
- Texture: Garlic aioli has a thick, creamy texture that coats whatever it’s served with. It’s not as thick as mayonnaise but still holds its shape when spooned onto food or used as a dip for onion rings or fries.
- How To Make It: Start by combining minced garlic cloves with egg yolks in a blender or food processor until smooth. Then slowly add in olive oil while blending until you reach your desired consistency (it should be thick enough to coat whatever you’re serving it with). Finally, season with salt and pepper to taste and add a splash of lemon juice for a final touch of flavor.
7. Honey Mustard Sauce
Honey mustard sauce is a condiment made from a combination of honey, mustard, and other ingredients.
It is often used as a dip for onion rings or chicken nuggets, but it can also be used to dress salads or sandwiches.
- Taste: The flavor of honey mustard sauce varies depending on the type of mustard and other ingredients used in the recipe. Generally speaking, it has a sweet-tangy taste with hints of honey and spices like garlic powder or paprika.
- Texture: Honey mustard sauce has a creamy texture that coats food nicely without being too thick or runny.
- How To Make It: Making your own honey mustard sauce at home is easy! All you need are some basic pantry staples like mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, honey, white wine vinegar, garlic powder and paprika. Simply mix all the ingredients together until smooth and creamy then serve with your favorite dishes!
8. Tartar Sauce
Tartar sauce is a condiment made from mayonnaise, pickles, capers, and other ingredients.
It is most commonly served with seafood dishes such as fish and chips or fried shrimp.
- Taste: Tartar sauce has a creamy texture and a tangy flavor that comes from the combination of mayonnaise, pickles, capers, lemon juice, and herbs. The tartness of the pickles and capers balances out the richness of the mayonnaise to create an overall pleasant taste.
- Texture: Tartar sauce has a thick consistency due to its high fat content from the mayonnaise. It also has small chunks of pickles and capers throughout for added texture.
- How To Make It: Making your own tartar sauce at home is easy! All you need are some basic pantry staples like mayonnaise, dill pickle relish or chopped dill pickles, capers (optional), fresh lemon juice (or white vinegar), minced onion or shallot (optional), freshly chopped parsley (optional) and salt & pepper to taste. Simply combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and mix until everything is evenly distributed. Enjoy your homemade tartar sauce with your favorite seafood dish!
Ranch dressing is a creamy, tangy condiment made from mayonnaise, buttermilk, herbs and spices.
It was invented in the 1950s by Steve Henson at his ranch near Santa Barbara, California.
The dressing has become one of the most popular salad dressings in America and is used as a dip for vegetables, chips and onion rings.
- Taste: Ranch dressing has a creamy texture with a mild flavor that combines the tanginess of buttermilk with garlic, onion and herbs like parsley and dill. It’s slightly sweet with just enough acidity to balance out its richness.
- Texture: Ranch dressing has a thick consistency that coats whatever it’s served on or dipped into without being overly heavy or greasy.
- How To Make It: All you need are some basic ingredients like mayonnaise, buttermilk, garlic powder, onion powder, dried parsley flakes and dried dill weed (or fresh if you have it). Simply mix all the ingredients together until they’re well combined then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serving Suggestions: Ranch dressing can be served as a dip for vegetables, chips, pretzels, or onion rings. It can also be used as a spread on sandwiches, burgers, and wraps. Additionally, it can be used in recipes like baked potatoes, macaroni and cheese, and casseroles for added flavor and creaminess.
10. BBQ Sauce
BBQ sauce is a condiment made from tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, and spices.
It is used to add flavor to grilled or smoked meats such as ribs, chicken, and pork.
The sauce can be either sweet or spicy depending on the ingredients used in its preparation.
- Taste: BBQ sauce has a tangy and smoky flavor with hints of sweetness that comes from the combination of tomato paste and sugar. Depending on the recipe used, it can also have a hint of spice from chili peppers or other seasonings.
- Texture: BBQ sauce is thick and sticky with a glossy sheen due to the high sugar content. It clings well to food when applied during cooking or after it’s cooked.
- How To Make It: Start by combining 1 cup of ketchup with 1/4 cup each of apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, molasses (optional), garlic powder (optional), onion powder (optional), mustard powder (optional) and hot pepper flakes (optional). Whisk all ingredients together until combined. Simmer on low heat for 10 minutes, stirring often. Add additional ingredients such as honey, maple syrup, or liquid smoke to desired taste.
10 Best Sauces for Onion Rings
- Mustard Cream Sauce
- Outback Blooming Onion Sauce
- Red Robin Campfire Sauce (Copycat Recipe)
- Horseradish Cream Sauce
- Chili Sauce
- Garlic Aioli Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Tartar Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
- BBQ Sauce
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a sauce recipe in 30 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.