Brussel sprouts are one of the most versatile vegetables out there.
They can be cooked in a variety of ways, from roasting to sautéing, and they work well with a wide range of flavors.
But let’s face it – no matter how you cook them, brussel sprouts need a good sauce to really bring out their flavor.
If you’re looking for something new and exciting to try on your next batch of brussel sprouts, look no further!
Here are 10 of the best sauces for brussel sprouts that will make your taste buds sing.
Why Pair A Sauce with Brussel Sprouts?
Brussel sprouts are a cruciferous vegetable that have a slightly bitter flavor.
To balance out this bitterness, pairing them with a sauce can help to bring out their natural sweetness and add complexity to the dish.
Sauces like balsamic glaze, honey mustard, or even pesto can be used to enhance the flavor of brussel sprouts.
Additionally, sauces can also provide moisture and texture to the dish which helps make it more enjoyable.
For example, adding a creamy sauce such as an alfredo or cheese sauce will give the brussel sprouts a richer taste while still allowing their natural flavors to shine through.
10 Best Sauces for Brussel Sprouts
Brussel sprouts are a nutritious and tasty vegetable, but they can be a bit bland when eaten on their own.
One of the best ways to add flavor is by using sauces.
Here are ten of the best sauces that pair perfectly with brussel sprouts:
1. Spicy Mustard Aioli
Spicy Mustard Aioli is a creamy condiment made from Dijon mustard, olive oil, lemon juice, chili powder, and egg yolk.
It is similar to mayonnaise but has a more pungent flavor due to the addition of mustard and chili powder.
- Taste: The combination of Dijon mustard and chili powder gives this aioli its signature spicy kick. The lemon juice adds brightness while the egg yolk provides richness and creaminess.
- Texture: This aioli has a thick yet spreadable texture that makes it perfect for spreading on sandwiches or as an accompaniment to roasted vegetables like brussel sprouts.
- Common Uses: Spicy Mustard Aioli can be used in many different ways such as dipping sauces for fries or onion rings, as a topping for burgers or hot dogs, or even as an ingredient in salads or dressings. It also pairs well with roasted vegetables like brussel sprouts and potatoes.
2. Honey Mustard Sauce
Honey mustard sauce is a condiment made from honey, dijon mustard, yellow mustard, mayonnaise and apple cider vinegar.
It has a sweet and tangy flavor that pairs well with many dishes.
- How to Make It: To make honey mustard sauce, combine 1/4 cup of honey, 2 tablespoons of dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons of yellow mustard, 1/2 cup of mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in a bowl. Whisk the ingredients together until they are fully combined. Taste the mixture and adjust the seasonings as desired.
- Common Uses: Honey mustard sauce can be used as a dip for vegetables or chips; it can also be used as a topping for burgers or sandwiches; it can be added to salads for extra flavor; it can be used as an ingredient in dressings or marinades; and it goes especially well with brussel sprouts.
3. Sour Cream Sauce
Sour cream sauce is a creamy, tangy condiment made from sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder, and whole milk.
It’s a versatile sauce that can be used to enhance the flavor of many dishes.
- How To Make It: To make sour cream sauce, combine 1 cup of sour cream with 1/4 teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder in a medium bowl. Slowly whisk in 1/2 cup of whole milk until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Common Uses: Sour cream sauce is commonly served with brussel sprouts or other vegetables as an accompaniment to main dishes such as steak or pork chops. It can also be used as a dip for chips or crackers, or drizzled over tacos or burritos for added flavor.
4. Maple Miso Dijon Dressing
Maple Miso Dijon Dressing is a delicious and versatile dressing made with maple syrup, dijon mustard, white miso, olive oil, and lemon juice.
It’s a great way to add flavor to any dish without overpowering it.
- How To Make It: Simply combine all the ingredients in a bowl or jar and whisk until combined. You can adjust the amount of each ingredient to suit your taste.
- Common Uses: This dressing is perfect for salads, roasted vegetables (especially brussel sprouts!), grilled meats, fish dishes, and more. It also makes an excellent marinade for tofu or tempeh.
5. Creamy Garlic Parmesan Sauce
Creamy Garlic Parmesan Sauce is a creamy, cheesy sauce made with chicken broth, parmesan cheese, butter, garlic powder and all purpose flour.
It’s a simple yet flavorful sauce that can be used to enhance the flavor of many dishes.
- How To Make It: To make this delicious sauce, start by melting butter in a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Once melted, add the garlic powder and all purpose flour and whisk until combined. Slowly add the chicken broth while whisking continuously until it has thickened into a smooth sauce. Finally, stir in the parmesan cheese until fully incorporated and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Common Uses: This creamy garlic parmesan sauce is perfect for adding flavor to brussel sprouts or other vegetables such as broccoli or cauliflower. It can also be used as a topping for pasta dishes like macaroni and cheese or lasagna. Additionally, it makes an excellent dip for breadsticks or crackers!
6. Sweet Chili Sauce
Sweet chili sauce is a condiment made from chilies, sugar, and vinegar.
It has a sweet-and-spicy flavor that pairs well with many dishes.
The sauce can be used as a dip or marinade for meats and vegetables, or as an ingredient in stir-fries and other recipes.
- How to Make It: To make sweet chili sauce at home, you’ll need chilies (such as sambal oelek), rice vinegar, sugar, garlic, ginger, and salt. Start by combining the ingredients in a blender or food processor until they are smooth. Then transfer the mixture to a small pot over medium heat and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Let cool before transferring to an airtight container for storage in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Common Uses: Sweet chili sauce is commonly used as a dipping sauce for fried foods such as spring rolls or egg rolls; it’s also great on grilled meats like chicken wings or pork chops. You can also use it as an ingredient in stir-fries or noodle dishes like pad thai; just add some of the sauce when cooking your dish for extra flavor!
7. Honey Sriracha Sauce
Honey Sriracha Sauce is a sweet and spicy condiment made from soy sauce, sriracha sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, and honey.
It’s a popular accompaniment to many dishes including brussel sprouts.
- How To Make It: Begin by combining 1/4 cup of soy sauce with 2 tablespoons of sriracha sauce in a small bowl. Then add 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, and 2 tablespoons of honey. Whisk the ingredients together until they are well combined. Taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning as desired before serving it with your favorite dish.
- Common Uses: Honey Sriracha Sauce can be used as a dipping sauce for vegetables or as an ingredient in marinades or dressings for salads or sandwiches. It also pairs nicely with grilled meats such as chicken or pork chops, roasted potatoes, steamed broccoli or cauliflower florets, and even fried tofu cubes!
8. Garlic Bacon Aioli
Garlic bacon aioli is a creamy condiment made with garlic, bacon, lemon juice, olive oil, and mayonnaise.
It has a rich flavor that pairs well with many dishes.
- How To Make It: To make garlic bacon aioli, start by cooking the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until it’s crispy. Remove the cooked bacon from the pan and set aside to cool. In a bowl, combine minced garlic cloves with freshly squeezed lemon juice and whisk together until combined. Slowly add in olive oil while continuing to whisk until emulsified. Add mayonnaise and mix together until smooth. Finally, crumble the cooled bacon into small pieces and stir into the mixture until evenly distributed throughout.
- Common Uses: Garlic Bacon Aioli is commonly used as an accompaniment for brussel sprouts or other roasted vegetables such as carrots or potatoes. It can also be used as a dip for chips or crackers or spread on sandwiches for added flavor.
9. Maple-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
Maple-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce is a sweet and smoky sauce made with apple cider vinegar, liquid smoke, tomato sauce, maple syrup, and bourbon.
It’s a great way to add flavor to grilled meats or vegetables like brussel sprouts.
- How To Make It: To make the sauce, combine 1 cup of apple cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke, 1 cup of tomato sauce, 1/2 cup of maple syrup and 1/4 cup of bourbon in a medium-sized pot over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool before using.
- Common Uses: This barbecue sauce can be used on any type of meat or vegetable that you would normally grill or bake. Try it on chicken wings or ribs for an extra kick! You can also use it as a marinade for steaks or pork chops before grilling them. For vegetables like brussel sprouts, try brushing some onto them while they’re roasting in the oven for an added layer of flavor.
10. Sriracha Aioli
Sriracha Aioli is a creamy condiment made with store-bought mayonnaise, Sriracha hot sauce, lime juice, and garlic.
It has a spicy kick from the Sriracha and a zesty flavor from the lime juice.
- How To Make It: Simply combine 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons of Sriracha hot sauce, 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lime juice, and 1 clove of minced garlic in a bowl. Mix until all ingredients are well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Common Uses: This flavorful condiment can be used to add some heat to sandwiches or burgers, as a dip for fries or chips, or as an accompaniment to roasted vegetables like brussel sprouts.
In conclusion, there are many delicious sauces that can be used to enhance the flavor of brussel sprouts.
From the classic mustard aioli to the more adventurous maple bourbon sauce, there is something to suit every palate.
The best sauces for brussel sprouts are mustard aioli, mustard honey sauce, sour cream sauce, maple miso dijon dressing, creamy parmesan sauce, sweet chili sauce, honey sriracha sauce, garlic bacon aioli, maple bourbon sauce, and sriracha aioli.
All of these sauces can be used to add depth, complexity, and flavor to your brussel sprouts.
So, the next time you’re looking for a delicious way to enjoy brussel sprouts, try adding one of these sauces.
Your taste buds will thank you!
10 Best Sauces for Brussel Sprouts
- Spicy Mustard Aioli
- Honey Mustard Sauce
- Sour Cream Sauce
- Maple Miso Dijon Dressing
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Sauce
- Sweet Chili Sauce
- Honey Sriracha Sauce
- Garlic Bacon Aioli
- Maple-Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- Sriracha Aioli
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a sauce recipe in 30 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.