Breakfast sandwiches are a great way to start the day.
Whether you’re in the mood for something savory or sweet, there’s a breakfast sandwich out there that will satisfy your cravings.
But one of the most important parts of any breakfast sandwich is the sauce.
The right sauce can take an ordinary sandwich and transform it into something extraordinary.
So if you want to make your morning meal memorable, try these seven sauces for your next breakfast sandwich.
From classic condiments like ketchup and mayo to more creative options like pesto and hummus, these sauces will add flavor and texture to any egg-based dish.
Why Use A Sauce In Your Breakfast Sandwich?
- A sauce can add a burst of flavor to your breakfast sandwich. Whether it’s a spicy salsa, creamy hollandaise, or tangy mustard, sauces can bring out the flavors of the other ingredients in your sandwich and make them pop.
- Sauces also help keep your breakfast sandwich moist and juicy. If you’re using dry ingredients like eggs or bacon, adding a sauce will help balance out the texture and prevent it from becoming too dry or crumbly.
- Finally, sauces are an easy way to add nutrition to your breakfast sandwich without having to use extra ingredients like vegetables or fruits that may not be available at all times of year. For example, pesto is packed with healthy fats and vitamins while hot sauce contains antioxidants that can boost immunity and digestion!
The 7 Best Sauces for Breakfast Sandwiches
Breakfast sandwiches are a delicious way to start your day.
But what really makes them special is the sauce.
Here are seven of the best sauces for breakfast sandwiches, each offering its own unique flavor:
Hummus is a Middle Eastern dip or spread made from cooked, mashed chickpeas blended with tahini (sesame seed paste), olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt.
It is high in protein and fiber and can be served as an appetizer or snack.
- How to Make It: Start by combining the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Then add more liquid if needed to reach desired consistency. Finally, season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Common Uses: Hummus can be used as a dip for vegetables or pita chips, as a spread on sandwiches or wraps, or even as an ingredient in other dishes such as falafel and shawarma. It’s also great for adding flavor to salads, soups, stews and casseroles.
Pesto is a sauce made from fresh basil, garlic, olive oil, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese and salt.
It originated in Genoa, Italy and is traditionally served with pasta dishes.
- How To Make It: Start by combining the basil leaves, garlic cloves, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese in a food processor or blender. Pulse until everything is finely chopped. Then add the olive oil and pulse again until everything is combined into a paste-like consistency. Finally season with salt to taste.
- Common Uses: Pesto can be used as a condiment for sandwiches or wraps; it can also be stirred into soups or sauces for added flavor; it can be spread on pizza crusts before adding toppings; it can even be used as a dip for vegetables or chips!
3. Cheese Sauce
Cheese sauce is a creamy, cheesy condiment made from melted cheese and other ingredients such as butter, milk, cream, and seasonings.
It can be used to top dishes like macaroni and cheese or nachos, or it can be used as a dip for vegetables or chips.
- How To Make It: Start by melting butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add flour and whisk until combined. Slowly pour in milk while whisking continuously until the mixture thickens. Add grated cheese of your choice (cheddar is most common) and stir until completely melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Common Uses: Cheese sauce is incredibly versatile! It can be used as a topping for macaroni and cheese, nachos, tacos, burritos, enchiladas; it can also be used as a dip for vegetables or chips; it’s great on burgers; you can even use it to make quesadillas more flavorful!
4. Chipotle Mayo
Chipotle mayo is a condiment made with mayonnaise, chipotle peppers, and other seasonings.
It has a smoky flavor and a creamy texture that makes it perfect for adding to sandwiches, burgers, tacos, and more.
- How To Make It: All you need is 1/2 cup of mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons of minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (or more if you like it spicier), 1 teaspoon of lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder, and salt to taste. Simply mix all the ingredients together until they are well combined.
- Common Uses: Chipotle mayo can be used as a spread on sandwiches or burgers or as a dip for fries or chips. It’s also great for adding some extra flavor to tacos or burritos. You can even use it as an ingredient in dressings or sauces for salads or other dishes.
5. Hot Sauce
Hot sauce is a condiment made from chili peppers, vinegar, and other ingredients.
It can range in flavor from mild to extremely spicy and is used to add heat and flavor to dishes.
- How To Make It: Start by combining chopped chili peppers with garlic, onion, salt, pepper, sugar or honey (optional), and vinegar in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth then transfer the mixture to a pot over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Let cool before transferring it into an airtight container for storage.
- Common Uses: Hot sauce can be used as an ingredient in recipes such as tacos, burritos, enchiladas, soups, stews, marinades, sauces etc., or it can be served on its own as a condiment alongside breakfast sandwiches or any other dish that needs some extra kick of flavor!
6. Ranch Dressing
Ranch dressing is a creamy, tangy condiment made from mayonnaise, buttermilk, and herbs.
It was invented in the 1950s by Steve Henson at his dude ranch near Santa Barbara, California.
The dressing has since become one of the most popular salad dressings in America.
- How To Make It: Start with 1 cup of mayonnaise, ½ cup of buttermilk, 2 tablespoons of freshly chopped parsley or dill (or both), 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Mix all the ingredients together until well combined and store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
- Common Uses: Ranch dressing is most commonly used as a dip for vegetables or chips; it can also be used as a topping for salads or sandwiches. It’s also great as a marinade for grilled chicken or fish; just mix equal parts ranch dressing with olive oil and your favorite herbs and spices to create an easy marinade that will add flavor to any dish!
Mustard is a condiment made from the seeds of various mustard plants.
The whole, ground, cracked, or bruised mustard seeds are mixed with water, vinegar, lemon juice, wine, or other liquids and salt to create a paste or sauce ranging in color from bright yellow to dark brown.
- How To Make It: Mustard can be made at home by combining mustard powder with cold liquid ingredients such as water and vinegar. This mixture should be left to sit for several hours before being used so that the flavors can develop fully. Alternatively, prepared mustards are available in jars at most grocery stores.
- Common Uses: Mustard is commonly used as a condiment on sandwiches and hot dogs but it also makes an excellent addition to sauces and dressings. It’s also often used in marinades for meats and vegetables as well as pickling recipes.
Tips for Using Breakfast Sandwich Sauces
When it comes to breakfast sandwiches, the sauce can make all the difference. Here are some tips for using sauce for breakfast sandwiches to take your egg breakfast to the next level:
Make a Classic Hollandaise Sauce
For a truly decadent egg sandwich, try making a classic hollandaise sauce. This sauce is made with egg yolks, butter, and lemon juice, and has a rich, creamy texture that pairs perfectly with eggs benedict.
- To make hollandaise sauce, whisk together egg yolks and lemon juice in a bowl, then melt butter in a separate saucepan.
- Slowly pour the melted butter into the egg mixture while whisking continuously, until the sauce thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add Sour Cream to Your Sauce
Sour cream can be a great addition to any sauce for breakfast sandwiches, as it adds a tangy flavor and creamy texture. Try adding sour cream to a hollandaise sauce to make it even richer, or mix it with herbs like chives or dill for a simple and delicious sauce.
Use Different Bread Options
While traditional breakfast sandwiches are often served on an English muffin, there’s no reason you can’t switch things up and use different types of bread. Try using a croissant or bagel for a more indulgent egg sandwich, or a whole grain bread for a healthier option.
Add Bacon to Your Sauce
For a savory and smoky flavor, try adding bacon to your sauce for breakfast sandwiches. Cook bacon in a pan until crispy, then crumble it into your sauce for an extra burst of flavor.
Experiment with Different Recipes
Don’t be afraid to experiment with different recipes and sauces for your egg breakfast sandwiches. Mix and match ingredients like herbs, spices, and cheeses to create your own unique sauce for breakfast sandwiches that’s perfectly tailored to your taste.
What condiment is good on a breakfast sandwich?
There are many condiments that can be good on a breakfast sandwich, depending on your personal preference. Some popular options include mayonnaise, ketchup, hot sauce, and mustard. You could also try adding a sauce specifically designed for breakfast sandwiches, such as hollandaise sauce, sriracha mayo, or aioli.
What sauces are good on sandwiches?
A: Again, this can depend on your personal taste and the type of sandwich you are making. Some popular sauces that can work well on sandwiches include pesto, hummus, BBQ sauce, ranch dressing, honey mustard, and chipotle mayo. You could also experiment with different flavored aiolis or vinaigrettes to add some extra flavor to your sandwich.
What sauces are good with eggs?
Eggs are a versatile ingredient that can be paired with many different sauces. Some classic options include hollandaise sauce (commonly used in eggs benedict), tomato sauce (for a classic huevos rancheros), or chimichurri sauce (a zesty sauce made with parsley and garlic). You could also try a spicy salsa, creamy avocado sauce, or tangy yogurt sauce to add some variety to your egg dishes.
What spreads are used in sandwiches?
Again, this can depend on the type of sandwich you are making, but some popular spreads that can be used on sandwiches include mayonnaise, mustard, butter, cream cheese, hummus, or guacamole. You could also try making your own spreads using ingredients like roasted red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, or roasted garlic for a unique and flavorful addition to your sandwich.
In conclusion, there are many different sauces that can be used to add flavor and moisture to breakfast sandwiches.
The best sauces for breakfast sandwiches are hummus, pesto, cheese sauce, chipotle mayo, hot sauce, ranch dressing, and mustard.
Each of these sauces has its own unique flavor and texture that can enhance the taste of your breakfast sandwich.
Whether you’re looking for something spicy, creamy, or zesty, one of these sauces is sure to deliver the flavor you desire.
So, the next time you’re making a breakfast sandwich, reach for one of these sauces and enjoy the delicious results.
The 7 Best Sauces for Breakfast Sandwiches
- Cheese Sauce
- Chipotle Mayo
- Hot Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a sauce recipe in 30 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.