Breakfast sandwiches are the perfect way to start your day.
Whether you like them sweet or savory, they are always delicious and satisfying.
But if you want to take your breakfast sandwich to the next level, then you need the right toppings!
I’m sharing 10 of my favorite tasty breakfast sandwich toppings that will add flavor, texture, and a boost of nutrition to your morning meal.
From roasted vegetables to creamy cheese and everything in between, these topping ideas are sure to make your breakfast sandwich even better.
10 Tasty Breakfast Sandwich Toppings
Breakfast sandwiches are a great way to start your day.
But why not make them even better by adding a few tasty toppings?
Here are ten delicious breakfast sandwich toppings that will take your breakfast to the next level:
- Variations: Roasted vegetables are a great way to add flavor and texture to your breakfast sandwich. You can roast any type of vegetable, from bell peppers and onions to mushrooms and zucchini. For added flavor, try adding herbs or spices like garlic powder, oregano, or paprika. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can even try roasting root vegetables like sweet potatoes or carrots for an extra-hearty sandwich!
- Tips: When roasting vegetables for a breakfast sandwich, it’s important to make sure they’re cooked through but not overdone. To ensure that the veggies are cooked evenly, cut them into small pieces before roasting so that they cook quickly and evenly. Additionally, be sure to season the vegetables with salt and pepper before cooking for maximum flavor!
2. Fried Egg
- Variations: Fried eggs can be cooked in a variety of ways, from sunny-side up to over-easy. Sunny-side up is the simplest way to cook a fried egg, with the yolk and whites left intact. Over-easy eggs are flipped halfway through cooking so that both sides are lightly cooked. For an extra creamy texture, try scrambling your eggs before adding them to the sandwich.
- Tips: To get perfectly cooked fried eggs every time, make sure you use a nonstick pan and plenty of butter or oil for frying. If you’re using butter, let it melt completely before adding your egg so that it doesn’t burn. Cook on medium heat until the edges start to turn golden brown and then flip if desired. Once done, season with salt and pepper for added flavor!
- Variations: Avocado is a great topping for breakfast sandwiches because it adds a creamy texture and flavor. You can use it as-is, or mash it up with some lime juice and salt to make guacamole. If you want to get creative, try adding diced tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, cilantro, or even bacon bits for an extra kick of flavor.
- Tips: When using avocado on your sandwich, be sure to slice it thinly so that the flavors don’t overpower the other ingredients. Also, if you’re using mashed avocado (or guacamole), spread it evenly over the bread so that each bite has enough of the creamy goodness! Finally, if you’re making a hot sandwich like an egg and cheese melt, wait until after cooking before adding your avocado slices – this will help keep them from getting too soggy.
- Variations: Bacon is a classic topping for breakfast sandwiches, and there are many ways to enjoy it. For a smoky flavor, try adding thick-cut bacon that has been cooked until crispy. If you prefer something sweeter, opt for maple-glazed bacon or even candied bacon. You can also mix things up by using turkey bacon or vegetarian options like tempeh bacon.
- Tips: When adding bacon to your sandwich, make sure to cook it first so that the fat renders out and the meat gets nice and crispy. Also, be sure not to overload your sandwich with too much of one ingredient; balance out the flavors with other toppings such as cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, avocado slices, or an egg!
- Variations: Spinach is a great topping for breakfast sandwiches because it adds flavor and texture. You can use fresh spinach leaves, sautéed spinach, or even wilted baby spinach. For an extra kick of flavor, try adding some garlic or onion to the mix when you’re sautéing your spinach.
- Tips: When using fresh spinach leaves on your sandwich, make sure to wash them thoroughly before adding them to the sandwich. If you’re using wilted baby spinach, be sure to squeeze out any excess moisture before adding it to the sandwich so that it doesn’t make your bread soggy. Lastly, if you want a bit of crunch in your sandwich, try topping it with some crispy bacon!
6. Cream Cheese
- Variations: Cream cheese is a versatile topping for breakfast sandwiches. It can be used in its classic form, or you can mix it with other ingredients to create unique flavors. Try adding herbs like chives, dill, or parsley for an herby kick. You can also add spices such as garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika for a savory flavor. For a sweet twist, try mixing in some honey or jam.
- Tips: When using cream cheese on your sandwich, make sure to spread it evenly over the bread so that all of the toppings are well-distributed. If you’re using flavored cream cheese, be sure to taste it before adding any additional seasonings so that you don’t overpower the flavor of the cream cheese itself. Finally, if you want to keep your sandwich from getting soggy, use only enough cream cheese to lightly coat the bread and avoid overloading it with too much filling!
7. Sliced Tomatoes
- Variations: Sliced tomatoes are a classic topping, but there are many variations you can try. For a more flavorful tomato, try using sun-dried tomatoes or roasted cherry tomatoes. You can also mix it up by adding other vegetables such as sliced bell peppers, mushrooms, or spinach.
- Tips: When adding sliced tomatoes to your sandwich, make sure to season them with salt and pepper before adding them to the sandwich. This will help bring out their flavor and add an extra layer of flavor to your sandwich. If you’re using fresh tomatoes, be sure to slice them thinly so they don’t overpower the other ingredients in the sandwich.
- Variations: Caramelized onions are a great way to add flavor and texture to any breakfast sandwich. You can caramelize onions in a variety of ways, such as with butter or oil, sugar, balsamic vinegar, or even beer! The key is to cook the onions slowly over low heat until they become golden brown and sweet.
- Tips: When caramelizing onions, it’s important to use a heavy-bottomed pan so that the heat is distributed evenly. Also be sure to stir frequently so that the onions don’t burn. Finally, if you want an extra kick of flavor, try adding some garlic or herbs like thyme or rosemary during the cooking process.
- Variations: You can use white button mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, or even portobello mushrooms. Each type of mushroom has its own unique flavor and texture that will add something special to your sandwich.
- Tips: When adding mushrooms to your sandwich, make sure you cook them first! Sauté the mushrooms in butter or olive oil until they are golden brown and tender. This will bring out their natural flavors and ensure that they don’t overpower the other ingredients on your sandwich. If you’re feeling adventurous, try adding some herbs or spices like garlic powder or dried oregano for an extra kick of flavor!
10. Hot Sauce
- Variations: Hot sauce is a great way to add some heat and flavor to your breakfast sandwich. There are many different types of hot sauces available, from classic Tabasco or Cholula to more exotic varieties like Sriracha or Harissa. You can also experiment with homemade hot sauces made from fresh peppers, garlic, and other spices.
- Tips: When adding hot sauce to your breakfast sandwich, start small and taste as you go. Too much heat can overpower the flavors of the other ingredients in the sandwich. Also, consider pairing your hot sauce with complementary flavors such as cheese, bacon, eggs, or avocado for an even tastier experience!
In conclusion, breakfast sandwiches are a great way to start your day off with a delicious and filling meal.
With a variety of tasty toppings to choose from, you can create a breakfast sandwich that is as unique as you are.
The best breakfast sandwich toppings are roasted vegetables, fried egg, avocado, bacon, spinach, cream cheese, sliced tomatoes, caramelized onions, mushrooms, and hot sauce.
With these ingredients, you can create a savory breakfast sandwich that is sure to satisfy your cravings and keep you full until lunchtime.
10 Tasty Breakfast Sandwich Toppings
- Roasted Vegetables
- Fried Egg
- Cream Cheese
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Caramelized Onions
- Hot Sauce
- Select your favorite toppings.
- Prepare the rest of your delicious breakfast sandwich.
- Enjoy your breakfast in 20 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.