Are you looking for something different to top your sausage pizza?
Tired of the same ol’ pepperoni and cheese?
If so, then you have come to the right place!
I’m here to share with you 10 tasty sausage pizza toppings that are sure to take your homemade pizza from boring to delicious.
From roasted vegetables and fresh herbs, to tangy feta cheese and creamy ricotta, there is something for everyone on this list.
So go ahead and give one (or all!) of these toppings a try the next time you make a sausage pizza.
How To Pick The Right Toppings For A Sausage Pizza
When picking the right toppings for a sausage pizza, there are three main considerations: flavor, texture, and balance.
- First, consider the flavors of your chosen sausage. If you’re using a mild Italian sausage or chorizo, look for toppings that will complement its flavor profile without overpowering it. For example, bell peppers and onions pair well with mild sausages while spicy jalapenos work better with spicier varieties.
- Second, think about texture when selecting your toppings; crunchy vegetables like mushrooms or olives can add contrast to the softness of cooked sausage slices.
- Finally, make sure to create a balanced pizza by adding enough topping ingredients so that each bite has some of everything in it—sausage slices plus other toppings—but not too much where one ingredient overwhelms all the others.
10 Tasty Sausage Pizza Toppings
Sausage pizza is a classic dish that can be made with endless variations.
To make your sausage pizza even more flavorful, try adding some of these tasty toppings:
Salami is a type of cured sausage made from fermented and air-dried meat, usually pork.
It is typically seasoned with garlic, salt, sugar, and spices such as black pepper, nutmeg, or fennel.
The curing process gives salami its distinctive flavor and texture.
There are many different types of salami available in the market today.
Some popular varieties include Genoa salami (made with pork and beef), soppressata (a dry-cured Italian sausage), cotto (cooked) salami, and sopressata picante (spicy).
Each variety has its own unique flavor profile that can be used to enhance the taste of your pizza.
Roasted red peppers are a popular topping for pizzas, sandwiches, and salads.
They are made by charring bell peppers over an open flame or in the oven until their skins blacken and blister.
The charred skin is then removed to reveal the sweet, smoky flesh of the pepper underneath.
How To Make It
- To make roasted red peppers at home, start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place whole bell peppers on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast them for 25-30 minutes until they are charred and blistered all over.
- Remove from the oven and place in a bowl covered with plastic wrap or foil to steam for 10 minutes.
- Peel off the charred skin using your hands or a paring knife, then slice into strips or dice as desired before adding to your pizza!
3. Fresh Herbs (like parsley or oregano)
Fresh herbs are a great way to add flavor and texture to any dish.
Herbs like parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, sage, and chives can be used fresh or dried in a variety of dishes.
They are packed with flavor and aroma that will enhance the taste of your food.
Topping your sausage pizza with fresh herbs is an easy way to take it up a notch.
Try combining chopped parsley and oregano for a classic Italian flavor profile.
Or mix in some basil for an herby sweetness that pairs perfectly with the savory sausage.
For something more unique, try adding some freshly chopped rosemary or thyme for an earthy depth of flavor that will really make your pizza stand out!
4. Feta Cheese
Feta cheese is a type of brined curd cheese traditionally made in Greece from sheep’s milk or a combination of sheep and goat’s milk.
It has a crumbly texture and salty, tangy flavor that pairs well with many dishes.
Feta cheese is an excellent topping for sausage pizza as it adds a creamy, salty flavor to the dish.
Try adding feta to your pizza along with some fresh herbs such as oregano or basil, olives, tomatoes, and onions for an extra flavorful kick.
You can also try pairing feta with other toppings such as roasted red peppers or artichoke hearts for even more delicious combinations.
Caramelized onions are a type of cooked onion that has been slowly cooked in butter or oil until it is soft and sweet.
The process of caramelizing onions involves breaking down the natural sugars in the onion, resulting in a rich, golden-brown color and an intensely sweet flavor.
How To Make It
- To make caramelized onions, start by slicing one large yellow onion into thin slices.
- Heat two tablespoons of butter or olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions to the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until they begin to soften.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking for another 20-30 minutes, stirring every few minutes until they are golden brown and very soft.
- Serve warm as a topping on pizza or other dishes!
Roasted garlic is a delicious and flavorful topping for pizza.
It is made by roasting whole cloves of garlic in the oven until they are soft and fragrant.
The roasted cloves can then be mashed into a paste or spread on top of the pizza before baking.
How To Make It
- To make roasted garlic, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel off the outer layers of skin from several heads of garlic, leaving the individual cloves intact.
- Place them in an oven-safe dish and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until the cloves are soft and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before mashing into a paste or spreading onto your pizza dough before baking.
7. Sliced Mushrooms
Sliced mushrooms are a great topping for pizza.
They add flavor, texture, and nutrition to the dish.
Mushrooms come in many varieties, including white button mushrooms, cremini mushrooms (also known as baby bellas), shiitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, and more.
How To Prep
- Before adding sliced mushrooms to your pizza, it’s important to prepare them properly.
- Start by wiping off any dirt with a damp paper towel or cloth.
- Then slice the mushroom caps into thin slices using a sharp knife or mandoline slicer. If you’re using shiitake or oyster mushrooms, remove the stems before slicing them up.
- Once they’re all sliced up, sauté them in butter or olive oil until they are lightly browned and fragrant – this will help bring out their flavor even more!
- Finally top your pizza with the delicious sautéed mushroom slices for an extra flavorful meal!
Ricotta cheese is a soft, creamy Italian cheese made from whey. It has a mild flavor and can be used in both sweet and savory dishes.
Ricotta is often used as a topping for pizza, lasagna, or other baked dishes.
How To Prep
- To use ricotta on your sausage pizza, start by draining the excess liquid from the ricotta cheese.
- Place it in a strainer lined with paper towels and let it sit for about 10 minutes to remove any extra moisture.
- Once drained, spread the ricotta over your prepared pizza dough before adding the sausage and other toppings of your choice.
- Bake according to recipe instructions until golden brown and bubbly. Enjoy!
Olives are small, oval-shaped fruits that come from the olive tree.
They have a salty, briny flavor and can be eaten fresh or cured in oil or salt water.
Olives are a popular topping for pizzas, adding a unique flavor and texture to the dish.
There are many different types of olives available for use on pizza.
Kalamata olives are large, dark purple olives with a rich, fruity flavor.
Green olives such as Picholine or Lucques have a milder taste and can be used to add color contrast to your pizza.
For an extra kick of flavor, try using black olives such as Gaeta or Cerignola which have been cured in oil and spices.
10. Chopped Spinach
Chopped spinach is a versatile vegetable that can be used as a topping for pizza.
It is made by finely chopping fresh spinach leaves and stems, or using frozen chopped spinach.
The chopped spinach adds texture and flavor to the pizza, as well as providing an extra boost of nutrition.
Where To Find
Chopped spinach can be found in most grocery stores in the produce section or frozen food aisle.
If you are looking for organic options, check out your local health food store or farmers market.
You can also find pre-chopped frozen spinach at many stores, which makes it even easier to add to your favorite recipes!
In conclusion, sausage pizza is a classic favorite that can be spiced up with these ten tasty toppings.
The best toppings for sausage pizza include salami, roasted red peppers, fresh herbs, feta cheese, caramelized onions, roasted garlic, sliced mushrooms, ricotta cheese, olives, and chopped spinach.
These toppings can all be used together or individually to create a flavorful and delicious pizza.
No matter what toppings you choose, you can guarantee that your sausage pizza will be a hit with your family and friends. So, get creative, get cooking, and enjoy!
10 Tasty Sausage Pizza Toppings
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Fresh Herbs (like parsley or oregano)
- Feta Cheese
- Caramelized Onions
- Roasted Garlic
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Ricotta Cheese
- Chopped Spinach
- Select your favorite toppings.
- Prepare the rest of your delicious sausage pizza.
- Enjoy in 30 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.