Italian Wedding Soup is an iconic dish that any Italian-American family can feel an affinity with.
It combines hearty greens, a savory broth, and tender meatballs to create a comforting and soul-satisfying masterpiece.
Packed with flavorful ingredients that complement each other beautifully, it’s no wonder why this soup has become such a beloved classic among so many households!
What better way to highlight the complexity of your Italian Wedding Soup than by serving it with some delicious sides?
Your side dishes don’t have to be expensive or time-consuming – in fact, there are plenty of quick and inexpensive options available for you to make at home!
In this article, I’m bringing you my list of 11 best side dishes to serve with Italian Wedding Soup.
From breads like focaccia and ciabatta rolls to salads like brussel sprouts salad and caprese pizza; these easy recipes are sure to please everyone’s palate while adding even more flavor and heartiness into your meal!
So if you’re wondering what to serve with Italian Wedding Soup tonight – keep reading!
- The 8 Best Types of Pasta for Italian Wedding Soup
- Italian Wedding Soup Wine Pairing – Best Wines for Italian Wedding Soups
Why Consider Serving Side Dishes with Italian Wedding Soup?
- Serving side dishes with Italian wedding soup adds texture and flavor to the meal. For example, a crusty loaf of bread can be served alongside the soup for dipping into the broth or spreading with butter or olive oil. This will add a crunchy contrast to the softness of the vegetables in the soup.
- Side dishes also provide additional nutrition to round out an Italian wedding soup meal. A simple green salad is an excellent accompaniment that provides vitamins, minerals, and fiber from fresh greens and vegetables like tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, radishes, etc., as well as healthy fats from dressings such as olive oil-based vinaigrettes.
- Finally, serving side dishes with Italian wedding soup allows you to customize your meal according to individual tastes and preferences by offering different flavors and textures that everyone can enjoy together at one table without having to make separate meals for each person’s preference or dietary needs (e.g., vegan/vegetarian options).
What To Serve With Italian Wedding Soup? 11 Best Side Dishes
Italian Wedding Soup is a delicious and comforting meal that can easily be the star of any dinner.
But, to make it even more special, you’ll want to consider some side dishes as well.
Here are eleven of the best sides to serve with Italian Wedding Soup:
- What Is It? Breadsticks are a type of Italian bread that is usually served as an accompaniment to soups, salads, and other dishes. They are long and thin, with a crunchy texture on the outside and soft dough on the inside. The dough is made from flour, water, salt, yeast, and olive oil.
- Serving Ideas: Breadsticks can be served as-is or topped with herbs such as rosemary or oregano for added flavor. They can also be brushed with garlic butter before baking for extra flavor. Serve them alongside your Italian wedding soup for dipping in the broth or use them to scoop up pieces of vegetables or meat from the soup bowl. For a special touch, you can even wrap each breadstick in prosciutto before baking!
2. Arugula Salad
- What Is It? Arugula salad is a classic Italian side dish that pairs perfectly with Italian wedding soup. It’s made with fresh arugula, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. The peppery flavor of the arugula is balanced by the bright acidity of the lemon juice and the richness of the olive oil.
- Serving Ideas: To make this salad even more special you can add some shaved Parmesan cheese or crumbled goat cheese for an extra layer of flavor. You can also add some thinly sliced red onion for a bit of crunch or top it off with some roasted nuts like walnuts or pine nuts for added texture. For a heartier version, try adding some cooked quinoa or farro to bulk up the salad and make it more filling.
3. Green Beans Almondine
- What Is It? Green Beans Almondine is a classic French side dish that consists of green beans cooked in butter and topped with toasted almonds. The combination of the crunchy, nutty flavor of the almonds and the tenderness of the green beans makes this dish a perfect accompaniment to Italian wedding soup.
- Serving Ideas: To make Green Beans Almondine even more special, consider adding some fresh herbs such as thyme or rosemary for an extra layer of flavor. You can also add some garlic or shallots for additional depth. For a heartier side dish, try adding some cooked bacon or pancetta to the mix. Serve alongside your Italian wedding soup for a complete meal!
4. Artisan Multigrain Bread
- What Is It? Artisan multigrain bread is a type of artisan bread made with a variety of grains, such as wheat, rye, oats, barley and spelt. The dough is usually mixed with seeds and nuts for added flavor and texture. This type of bread has a hearty flavor and chewy texture that pairs well with Italian wedding soup.
- Serving Ideas: Artisan multigrain bread can be served in many different ways to accompany Italian wedding soup. For an easy appetizer, slice the bread into small pieces and top each piece with olive oil or butter before baking in the oven until golden brown. You can also serve it alongside your soup as croutons by cutting it into cubes and toasting them in the oven until crispy. If you want something more substantial, try making grilled cheese sandwiches using slices of artisan multigrain bread filled with melted cheese or other savory fillings like pesto or roasted vegetables.
Read Also: What Sandwich Goes With Italian Wedding Soup? 15 Best Sandwiches
5. Cucumber Salad
- What Is It? Cucumber salad is a classic Italian side dish that pairs perfectly with Italian wedding soup. It’s made with thinly sliced cucumbers, red onion, and a simple vinaigrette dressing. The cucumbers are usually marinated in the dressing for at least an hour before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Serving Ideas: Cucumber salad can be served as a side dish or as part of an antipasto platter. To make it even more special, you can add fresh herbs such as basil or parsley, diced tomatoes, olives, capers, or feta cheese. You can also serve it alongside grilled meats or fish for a light summer meal.
6. Toasted Ravioli
- What Is It? Toasted ravioli is a popular Italian-American dish that consists of breaded and deep-fried cheese ravioli. The dish originated in St. Louis, Missouri, but has since become popular throughout the United States.
- Serving Ideas: Toasted ravioli can be served as an appetizer or side dish with Italian wedding soup. It can also be served as a main course with marinara sauce for dipping, or topped with grated Parmesan cheese and served over a bed of greens. For an extra special touch, try topping the toasted ravioli with sautéed mushrooms and onions for added flavor and texture.
7. Spinach Apple Salad
- What Is It? Spinach Apple Salad is a classic Italian side dish that pairs sweet apples with fresh spinach and crunchy walnuts. The salad is dressed in a light vinaigrette made from olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, and Dijon mustard.
- Serving Ideas: This salad can be served as an accompaniment to Italian wedding soup or as a stand-alone side dish. For added flavor and texture, top the salad with crumbled feta cheese or diced red onion. To make it even more special, add dried cranberries or sliced almonds for extra sweetness and crunch.
8. Shredded Brussels Sprout and Prosciutto Salad
- What Is It? Shredded Brussels sprout and prosciutto salad is a delicious side dish that pairs perfectly with Italian wedding soup. This salad combines the nutty flavor of shredded Brussels sprouts, salty prosciutto, and sweet dried cranberries for a unique flavor combination. The addition of toasted walnuts adds crunch and texture to the dish.
- Serving Ideas: This salad can be served as a side dish or as an appetizer before the main course. To make it even more special, you can add some freshly grated Parmesan cheese or crumbled goat cheese on top. For added color and flavor, try adding some thinly sliced red onion or diced bell pepper to the mix. Serve this salad alongside your favorite Italian dishes such as lasagna, ravioli, or pizza for a complete meal!
9. Baked Stuffed Potatoes
- What Is It? Baked stuffed potatoes are a classic Italian side dish that can be served with Italian wedding soup. The potatoes are hollowed out and filled with a savory mixture of cheese, herbs, and vegetables. They can be served as an appetizer or side dish to any meal.
- Serving Ideas: Baked stuffed potatoes pair well with Italian wedding soup because they provide a hearty accompaniment to the light broth-based soup. To make them even more special, consider adding some cooked sausage or bacon to the filling for extra flavor. Serve the baked potatoes alongside some crusty bread and a salad for a complete meal.
Read Also: What To Serve With Baked Potatoes? 25 Best Dishes
10. Garlic bread
- What Is It? Garlic bread is a classic Italian side dish that consists of toasted or grilled bread slices topped with garlic butter. The butter can be made from scratch, or store-bought garlic spread can be used. The bread is usually brushed with olive oil before being toasted in the oven or on the grill.
- Serving Ideas: Garlic bread pairs well with many Italian dishes such as lasagna, spaghetti and meatballs, and pizza. It’s also great for dipping into soups like minestrone and Italian wedding soup. For an extra special touch, try adding some freshly grated Parmesan cheese to the top of your garlic bread before baking it in the oven.
11. Caprese Pizza
- What Is It? Caprese pizza is a classic Italian dish that combines the flavors of tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, and basil. The pizza is usually topped with slices of fresh tomato, mozzarella cheese, and fresh basil leaves. It’s then finished off with a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Serving Ideas: Caprese pizza pairs well with a variety of side dishes such as roasted vegetables or a simple salad. For an even more special meal, serve it alongside Italian wedding soup for an unforgettable combination. To make the meal complete, add in some crusty bread or garlic knots to soak up all the delicious flavors!
What To Serve With Italian Wedding Soup? 11 Best Side Dishes
- Arugula Salad
- Green Beans Almondine
- Artisan Multigrain Bread
- Cucumber Salad
- Toasted Ravioli
- Spinach Apple Salad
- Shredded Brussels Sprout and Prosciutto Salad
- Baked Stuffed Potatoes
- Garlic bread
- Caprese Pizza
- Select your favorite recipe.
- Organize all of the required ingredients.
- Prep a side dish in 30 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.