Welcome, foodies and rice enthusiasts!
Today, we’re going to talk about dirty rice – that Cajun dish that’s a little bit spicy, a little bit meaty, and a whole lot of delicious.
But let’s be real, even the most perfectly seasoned dirty rice can be a little bit…dirty.
And by that, we mean messy.
And by messy, we mean that it’s a food that’s not exactly known for its pristine presentation on the plate.
But hey, that’s part of the charm, right?
You know you’re in for a good meal when your food looks like it’s been through a war.
But we’re not here to judge the appearance of your dirty rice.
We’re here to help you elevate it to new heights by pairing it with the right side dishes.
Because let’s face it, the wrong side dish can turn a perfectly good dirty rice into a mediocre meal.
And who wants that?
Not us, and definitely not you.
So, put on your culinary thinking cap and let’s dive into a world of flavorful side dishes that will take your dirty rice from good to great.
Why Consider Serving Side Dishes With Dirty Rice?
- To Avoid a One-Night Stand Meal: Let’s be real, no one wants to have a one-night stand meal. You know what we’re talking about. That boring, uninspired meal that leaves you feeling unsatisfied and unfulfilled. So why settle for a mediocre meal when you can have a whole range of side dishes to add some variety and excitement to your dirty rice? With the right sides, your dirty rice can be the star of the show and the sides can be the supporting cast.
- To Add Some Color to Your Plate: If your plate is looking a little monochromatic, then it’s time to add some color. And what better way to do that than with some vibrant and colorful side dishes? From bright green broccoli to juicy red watermelon, the right side dishes can add some much-needed color and freshness to your dirty rice meal. Plus, it’s a great way to incorporate some healthy vegetables into your diet (or at least make it look like you are).
- To Impress Your Dinner Guests: Are you tired of your dinner guests leaving your house feeling underwhelmed and unsatisfied? Then it’s time to step up your game with some delicious and impressive side dishes. From homemade garlic bread to a show-stopping Caprese salad, the right sides can take your dirty rice meal from ordinary to extraordinary. Your dinner guests will be impressed, satisfied, and begging for the recipe.
- To Make Leftovers Exciting: Let’s face it, leftovers can be a little bit boring. But with the right side dishes, you can turn those leftovers into a whole new meal. Leftover dirty rice and grilled zucchini? Sounds like a delicious and healthy lunch to us. Leftover dirty rice and cornbread? Now we’re talking. With the right sides, you can turn those boring leftovers into a whole new culinary adventure.
- To Get Your Daily Dose of Carbs: Let’s be honest, who doesn’t love carbs? They’re delicious, they’re comforting, and they’re the perfect complement to a hearty and spicy dirty rice. Whether you prefer buttery mashed potatoes or crispy garlic bread, the right side dishes can add some much-needed carbs to your diet (because let’s face it, life is too short to count carbs). So go ahead, indulge in some delicious side dishes and embrace your carb-loving self.
What To Serve With Dirty Rice – 25 Best Side Dishes
Dirty rice is a classic Cajun dish that’s full of flavor.
But, it can be hard to know what to serve with dirty rice as a side dish.
Here are 25 different sides that will pair perfectly with your next batch of dirty rice:
Rice and Potato Sides
Are you in the mood for some starchy goodness to pair with your dirty rice? Look no further than these rice and potato sides. They’ll soak up all that dirty rice flavor like a sponge, while still bringing their own unique flavor to the table.
Here are our top five picks:
- Garlic Butter Rice: You know what they say, garlic makes everything better. And when you add butter to the mix? Well, that’s just heaven on a plate. The garlic butter rice is the perfect side dish for dirty rice, with its subtle garlic flavor and creamy texture. Plus, it’s easy to make, so you won’t be slaving away in the kitchen for hours.
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes: Let’s face it, everything is better with cheese. And that includes potatoes. These scalloped potatoes are baked to perfection with a cheesy crust that will make your taste buds sing. They’re also perfect for those who like their side dishes on the rich and indulgent side.
- Lemon Rice: If you’re looking for a refreshing and zesty side dish to cut through the richness of the dirty rice, then lemon rice is the way to go. The bright, tangy flavor of the lemon pairs perfectly with the savory and spicy flavors of the dirty rice. Plus, it adds a pop of color to the plate that will make your meal look like a work of art.
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Want to feel like you’re being a little bit healthy while still indulging in a delicious side dish? Then mashed sweet potatoes are the way to go. They’re sweet, they’re savory, and they’re packed with vitamins and minerals. Plus, they’re a great way to add some color to the plate.
- Roasted Red Potatoes: Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and perfect for soaking up all the flavors of the dirty rice. What more could you want? These roasted red potatoes are a classic side dish for a reason. They’re easy to make, they’re delicious, and they pair perfectly with any meal.
Okay, we know what you’re thinking. Side salads with dirty rice? How boring. But hold your horses, because these side salads are anything but boring. They’re the perfect complement to a spicy and hearty dirty rice, and they’ll add some much-needed color and freshness to your plate.
So put away that store-bought Caesar salad kit and get ready to try these five side salad options:
- Classic Caesar Salad: Yes, we just told you to put away that store-bought Caesar salad kit, but that doesn’t mean you can’t make a classic Caesar salad from scratch. With its tangy dressing, crunchy croutons, and salty Parmesan cheese, this salad is a tried-and-true favorite for a reason. Plus, it’s easy to make and can be whipped up in no time.
- Caprese Salad: Want to add some Italian flair to your dirty rice meal? Look no further than the Caprese salad. This colorful and flavorful salad features fresh mozzarella, ripe tomatoes, and fragrant basil. Drizzle it with some balsamic glaze for an extra kick of sweetness.
- Greek Salad: If you’re a fan of tangy and savory flavors, then a Greek salad is the way to go. With its salty feta cheese, briny olives, and tangy vinaigrette, this salad will transport you straight to the Mediterranean. It’s also a great way to incorporate some healthy vegetables into your meal.
- Watermelon Feta Salad: Okay, hear us out. We know watermelon and feta cheese sounds like a weird combination, but trust us, it works. This sweet and salty salad is perfect for summer and will add a burst of freshness to your plate. Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover watermelon from your weekend barbecue.
- Broccoli Salad: Want to feel like you’re being a little bit healthy while still indulging in a delicious side dish? Then broccoli salad is the way to go. With its crunchy broccoli, sweet raisins, and salty bacon, this salad is the perfect mix of healthy and indulgent. Just don’t tell your doctor how much bacon you’re eating.
Now, we know what you’re thinking. Vegetables? With dirty rice? What is this, a health food blog? But hear us out. Vegetables can add some much-needed nutrients, color, and variety to your dirty rice meal. And who knows, you might even like them.
So put down that bag of potato chips and get ready to try these five vegetable side options:
- Sautéed Spinach: If you’re short on time, sautéed spinach is the perfect quick and easy side dish. It’s healthy, it’s easy to make, and it’s a great way to incorporate some leafy greens into your meal. Plus, it’s a good source of iron, so you can feel like you’re doing something good for your body.
- Honey-Glazed Carrots: Want to add some sweetness to your meal without going overboard? Then honey-glazed carrots are the way to go. These tender and flavorful carrots are glazed with a mixture of honey and butter, giving them a sweet and savory flavor that pairs perfectly with dirty rice.
- Grilled Zucchini: If you’re looking for a smoky and charred side dish, then grilled zucchini is the way to go. Just brush some olive oil and seasoning on your zucchini slices, grill them up, and you’ve got a delicious and healthy side dish. Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover zucchini from your summer garden.
- Corn on the Cob: Is there anything more comforting than biting into a buttery and juicy ear of corn on the cob? We don’t think so. This classic side dish is perfect for a summer barbecue or a cozy dinner at home. Just be sure to have plenty of napkins on hand.
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts: We know what you’re thinking. Brussel sprouts are the worst. But have you tried them roasted? With their crispy and caramelized exterior and tender interior, roasted Brussel sprouts are a game-changer. Plus, they’re a great source of fiber and vitamins. Just don’t tell your kids that they’re eating vegetables.
Soups & Stews
Are you looking for a warm and comforting side dish to pair with your dirty rice? Then soups and stews are the way to go. They’re hearty, filling, and perfect for those chilly winter nights. Plus, they’re a great way to incorporate some healthy vegetables into your meal.
So put on your cozy socks and get ready to try these five soup and stew options:
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo: If you’re looking for a classic Cajun stew to pair with your dirty rice, then look no further than chicken and sausage gumbo. This savory and spicy stew is packed with chicken, sausage, and the “holy trinity” of Cajun cooking (onions, celery, and bell peppers). Serve it over a bed of dirty rice for the ultimate Louisiana experience.
- Chili: Is there anything more comforting than a big bowl of chili on a chilly night? We don’t think so. This hearty and filling soup is perfect for those who like their food on the spicy side. Plus, it’s easy to customize with your favorite toppings (sour cream, cheese, jalapeños, you name it).
- Tomato Soup: If you’re a fan of classic comfort foods, then tomato soup is the way to go. This creamy and tangy soup is the perfect side dish for grilled cheese sandwiches or garlic bread. Plus, it’s a good source of lycopene, an antioxidant that may help reduce the risk of certain diseases.
- Minestrone Soup: Want to incorporate some healthy vegetables into your meal? Then minestrone soup is the way to go. This vegetable-packed soup is a great way to use up any leftover vegetables in your fridge. Plus, it’s packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
- French Onion Soup: If you’re feeling fancy, then French onion soup is the way to go. This rich and decadent soup is made with caramelized onions, beef broth, and melted Gruyere cheese. It’s perfect for a special occasion or a romantic dinner at home. Just be sure to have some breath mints on hand.
Breads & Sandwiches
Are you in the mood for something carb-y and delicious to pair with your dirty rice? Then breads and sandwiches are the way to go. They’re filling, they’re satisfying, and they’re the perfect vessel for scooping up all that dirty rice goodness.
So put down that boring dinner roll and get ready to try these five bread and sandwich options:
- Garlic Bread: Is there anything better than the smell of freshly baked garlic bread? We don’t think so. This classic side dish is perfect for sopping up all the sauce from your dirty rice. Plus, it’s easy to make and can be whipped up in no time.
- Baguette: If you’re feeling fancy, then a fresh baguette is the way to go. With its crispy crust and fluffy interior, a baguette is the perfect vehicle for your dirty rice. Just be sure to slather it with some butter for an extra indulgent treat.
- Cornbread: Want to add a Southern touch to your meal? Then cornbread is the way to go. This sweet and savory bread is the perfect complement to spicy and savory dirty rice. Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover cornmeal in your pantry.
- Biscuits: Is there anything more comforting than a warm and fluffy biscuit? We don’t think so. These buttery and flaky biscuits are the perfect side dish for a cozy dinner at home. Just be sure to have some extra butter on hand.
- Po’ Boy Sandwich: If you’re looking for a sandwich that’s big on flavor and personality, then a po’ boy is the way to go. This classic New Orleans sandwich is made with crispy fried shrimp or oysters, lettuce, tomato, and remoulade sauce. It’s messy, it’s indulgent, and it’s the perfect complement to your dirty rice.
Well, folks, we’ve reached the end of our journey through the world of dirty rice and its perfect side dish pairings. We hope you’ve learned a thing or two about how to take your dirty rice from good to great with the right sides. And we also hope you had a few laughs along the way.
Remember, life is too short for boring sides. So why settle for a bland dinner when you can have a plate full of flavor and excitement? Whether you’re in the mood for some cheesy scalloped potatoes or a crispy baguette, there’s a side dish out there that will take your dirty rice to the next level.
So go forth, culinary adventurers, and try out some of these side dish options. Your taste buds will thank you. And who knows, you might even discover a new favorite dish along the way. And if all else fails, just remember the golden rule of dirty rice: if it looks a little bit dirty, that just means it’s full of flavor.
What To Serve With Dirty Rice (25 Best Sides)
- Garlic Butter Rice
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Lemon Rice
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Red Potatoes
- Classic Caesar Salad
- Caprese Salad
- Greek Salad
- Watermelon Feta Salad
- Broccoli Salad
- Sautéed Spinach
- Honey-Glazed Carrots
- Grilled Zucchini
- Corn on the Cob
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
- Tomato Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Garlic Bread
- Po' Boy Sandwich
- Pick your favorite recipe from the article.
- Organize your ingredients and utensils.
- Follow the detailed instructions in the recipe to make your side dish.
- Prepare and serve for delicious meal!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.