If you’re a fan of haddock, you know that this flaky white fish is a blank canvas that can be paired with a wide variety of flavors.
From classic tartar sauce to more exotic options like mango chutney, the right sauce can elevate your haddock dish to the next level.
In this blog post, I’ll share 12 tasty sauce ideas that I just can’t resist when it comes to haddock.
These sauces range from classic and simple to more complex and bold, so there’s sure to be something for everyone.
Whether you’re looking to add a little zest to your fish and chips or want to try something new and exciting, you’ll find plenty of inspiration in this list.
So grab your haddock and get ready to elevate your dinner game with these tasty sauce ideas!
1. Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce
Lemon garlic cream sauce is a savory sauce that has a rich and creamy texture with a tangy lemon flavor and a subtle garlic kick.
It’s the perfect combination of rich and tangy, making it a versatile sauce that can be used in a variety of dishes.
- One way to use lemon garlic cream sauce with haddock is to coat the fish in the sauce and bake it until it’s flaky and tender. You can also drizzle the sauce over the top of the fish for added flavor.
- Another way to enjoy lemon garlic cream sauce with haddock is to make a fish and pasta dish. Simply cook some pasta and toss it with the sauce and flaked haddock. You can also add some vegetables like peas or broccoli for a well-rounded meal.
- You can also use lemon garlic cream sauce as a dipping sauce for haddock fish cakes. Simply mix cooked haddock with some mashed potatoes, shape into patties, and fry until crispy. Serve with the lemon garlic cream sauce on the side for dipping.
2. Tomato Sauce
Tomato sauce has a tangy and slightly sweet flavor.
It is typically made from ripe tomatoes, onions, garlic, and a variety of herbs and spices, such as oregano, basil, and thyme.
The exact flavor of tomato sauce will vary depending on the specific ingredients used and the recipe followed.
There are many delicious ways to use tomato sauce with haddock.
Here are a few ideas:
- Baked Haddock with Tomato Sauce: To make this dish, simply season the haddock fillets with salt, pepper, and lemon juice, and place them in a baking dish. Pour tomato sauce over the top of the fish, and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through and the sauce is hot and bubbly.
- Haddock with Tomato Sauce and Pasta: Cook some pasta, such as spaghetti or penne, according to the package instructions. Meanwhile, season the haddock fillets with salt, pepper, and lemon juice, and sauté them in a pan until they are cooked through. Add the cooked pasta to the pan with the haddock, and toss everything together with tomato sauce. Serve hot, garnished with grated Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh herbs.
- Haddock and Tomato Sauce Soup: To make this soup, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add some chopped onions, garlic, and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are softened. Stir in some tomato sauce, fish stock, and a can of diced tomatoes. Bring the soup to a simmer, and add the haddock fillets. Cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the fish is cooked through. Ladle the soup into bowls, and serve hot.
3. Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing
Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing is a tangy and fresh sauce that is perfect for salads and fish dishes.
The cilantro and lime give it a bright and herbal flavor, while the creaminess of the dressing helps to balance out the tanginess of the lime.
Here are a few ways you can use Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing with haddock:
- Marinate your haddock in the dressing before cooking to infuse it with the tangy and herbal flavors of the sauce. This will add a nice zing to your fish and help to keep it moist and tender.
- Brush the dressing onto the haddock while it’s cooking on the grill to give it a nice glaze and to keep it from drying out.
- Serve the haddock with a side of the dressing for dipping. This is a great option if you want to add some extra flavor to your fish without overpowering it.
- Use the dressing as a topping for a haddock and potato salad. The tanginess of the dressing will pair perfectly with the mild flavor of the haddock and the potatoes.
4. Lemon Sauce
Lemon sauce is a tangy and acidic sauce that is often used to add a zesty flavor to dishes.
It is made by combining lemon juice, butter, and often white wine or chicken broth to create a thick and flavorful sauce.
Some people also add other ingredients, such as garlic or shallots, to give the sauce more depth of flavor.
Here are some ways to use lemon sauce with haddock:
- One classic way to use lemon sauce with haddock is to brush the sauce over the fish before baking or grilling it. This will give the haddock a delicious citrus flavor and help to keep it moist and tender.
- Another option is to use lemon sauce as a marinade for the haddock. Simply combine the sauce with some olive oil and a few herbs, such as parsley or thyme, and marinate the fish for at least 30 minutes before cooking.
- If you want to add some extra flavor to your haddock, you can also use lemon sauce as a topping or a dipping sauce. Simply serve the sauce on the side, and let your guests drizzle it over their fish or dip their pieces of haddock into the sauce.
- Finally, you can also use lemon sauce as the base for a delicious fish stew or chowder. Simply combine the sauce with some fish stock, vegetables, and haddock, and simmer until the fish is cooked through. This is a great way to make a hearty and flavorful meal that is sure to impress your family or friends.
5. Spicy Peruvian Green Sauce
Spicy Peruvian Green Sauce, also known as Aji Verde, is a sauce that is typically made with ingredients such as cilantro, jalapeño peppers, garlic, and lime juice.
It has a spicy and tangy flavor with a bit of a kick from the jalapeños.
- One way you could use this sauce with haddock is to marinate the fish in it before grilling or baking.
- You could also use the sauce as a topping for the cooked fish, or mix it into a creamy sauce to drizzle over the top.
- Another option would be to use the sauce as a marinade for the fish and then use it to make fish tacos or fish burritos.
6. Mushroom Sauce
Mushroom sauce typically has a rich, savory flavor that is slightly earthy and slightly sweet.
It is made by combining mushrooms with butter, flour, chicken or vegetable broth, and seasonings such as garlic and herbs.
The sauce is then simmered until it has thickened and the flavors have melded together.
Here are a few ways you can use mushroom sauce with haddock:
- One simple way to enjoy mushroom sauce with haddock is to bake the haddock fillets in the oven and then spoon the mushroom sauce over the top. You can serve this with a side of rice or roasted vegetables for a complete meal.
- Another delicious option is to pan-fry the haddock fillets and then top them with the mushroom sauce. This creates a crispy crust on the outside of the fish and a creamy, flavorful sauce on the inside.
- You can also use mushroom sauce as a base for a haddock casserole. Simply layer the haddock fillets in a casserole dish, top them with the mushroom sauce, and bake until the fish is cooked through and the sauce is bubbly. Serve with a side of mashed potatoes or pasta for a hearty and satisfying meal.
- If you want to serve mushroom sauce with haddock as a appetizer, you can make haddock croquettes. Simply mix cooked, flaked haddock with the mushroom sauce and some breadcrumbs. Form the mixture into small patties and then fry them in a pan until they are crispy and golden brown. Serve with a dipping sauce for added flavor.
7. White Wine Sauce
White wine sauce is a popular choice for many people because it has a rich, complex flavor that pairs well with a variety of dishes.
It is often used as a base for seafood dishes, and can be made with a variety of herbs and spices to add depth and complexity to the flavor.
To make a delicious white wine sauce for haddock, you could try using butter, shallots, white wine, and chicken or fish stock, along with some herbs and spices of your choice.
You can then use this sauce to make a range of dishes, including pan-seared haddock with white wine sauce, haddock with white wine and mushroom sauce, and even haddock fish cakes with a creamy white wine sauce.
8. Mustard Sauce
Most people find mustard sauce amazing because of its tangy and spicy flavor.
It’s a great condiment to add to a variety of dishes to give them an extra kick of flavor.
There are many ways you can use mustard sauce with haddock to make delicious recipes.
Here are a few ideas:
- Haddock with mustard sauce and dill: Season your haddock fillets with salt and pepper, then brush them with a mixture of mustard sauce and dill. Bake the haddock in the oven until it’s cooked through and flaky, then serve it with a side of your choice.
- Mustard-crusted haddock: Dip your haddock fillets in a mixture of beaten eggs and mustard sauce, then coat them with breadcrumbs mixed with grated Parmesan cheese. Pan-fry the haddock in a little oil until it’s golden and crispy, then serve it with a side of steamed vegetables or a salad.
- Haddock with mustard and caper sauce: Combine mustard sauce with capers, lemon juice, and a little bit of butter to make a delicious sauce for your haddock. Serve the haddock with the sauce spooned over the top, along with some boiled potatoes and steamed broccoli.
9. Creme Fraiche
Creme fraiche is a type of soured cream that is popular in French cuisine.
It has a slightly tangy and rich flavor, and it is often used as a topping for soups, salads, and other dishes.
To add more flavor to creme fraiche, you can try mixing in herbs like dill, chives, or parsley, or you can stir in a small amount of lemon juice or white wine vinegar.
You can also try adding spices like black pepper, cumin, or paprika to give the sauce a more complex flavor.
10. Creamy Parmesan Sauce
Creamy Parmesan sauce is a rich and savory sauce with a strong flavor of Parmesan cheese.
It is typically made with a base of butter and heavy cream, which is then combined with grated Parmesan cheese and seasonings to create a thick and creamy sauce.
To add more flavor to this sauce, you can try adding in some garlic or onion powder for a more savory flavor, or some fresh herbs like parsley or thyme for a more herby taste.
You could also try adding in some red pepper flakes for a touch of heat, or a splash of white wine for a hint of acidity.
When pairing this sauce with haddock, try cooking the haddock in the sauce itself.
This will allow the fish to absorb the flavors of the sauce and create a more cohesive and delicious dish.
You could also try serving the haddock with a side of steamed vegetables or a simple salad to round out the meal.
11. Sour Cream Sauce
Sour cream sauce has a tangy and rich flavor, with a slightly sour taste from the sour cream.
To add more flavor to this sauce, you could try adding herbs such as dill or chives, garlic, or even a squeeze of lemon juice.
You could also try mixing in some grated cheese, such as Parmesan, for a more savory flavor.
To use this sauce with haddock, you could try serving the haddock with a dollop of sour cream sauce on top.
Alternatively, you could mix the sauce into the haddock before baking or broiling it in the oven.
This would give the haddock a creamy, flavorful coating that pairs well with the mild taste of the fish.
You could also try serving the sauce on the side as a dip for the haddock.
12. Lemon Butter Sauce for Fish
Lemon butter sauce for fish is a classic sauce that is made by combining melted butter, lemon juice, and sometimes white wine or cream.
This sauce is typically light and tangy, with a subtle sweetness from the butter and a tanginess from the lemon juice.
The flavors of this sauce are complementary to the mild flavor of fish, making it a popular choice for seafood dishes.
To add more flavor to lemon butter sauce for fish, you can try adding minced garlic, shallots, or herbs such as parsley or dill. You can also try using a more flavorful type of butter, such as herb-infused butter or clarified butter.
Additionally, you can try adding other acidic ingredients such as capers or vinegar to give the sauce more depth of flavor.
To use lemon butter sauce with haddock, you can first prepare the sauce by melting butter in a saucepan over low heat and stirring in lemon juice, white wine (if using), and any additional flavorings such as minced garlic or herbs.
Once the sauce is heated through and well-combined, you can pour it over cooked haddock fillets or use it as a dipping sauce for fried haddock.
Alternatively, you can bake the haddock in the oven with the lemon butter sauce poured over the top, allowing the flavors to meld as the fish cooks.
12 Tasty Sauces for Haddock I Can’t Resist
- Lemon Garlic Cream Sauce
- Tomato Sauce
- Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Lemon Sauce
- Spicy Peruvian Green Sauce
- Mushroom Sauce
- White Wine Sauce
- Mustard Sauce
- Creme Fraiche
- Creamy Parmesan Sauce
- Sour Cream Sauce
- Lemon Butter Sauce for Fish
- Pick your favorite sauce from this list to serve with your meal.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!