There’s nothing like a good steak dinner to celebrate a special occasion.
But what are the best sides to serve with your juicy, delicious beef?
In this post, I’ve compiled a list of 23 romantic steak dinner sides that will make your meal that much more special.
From hearty and delicious mashed potatoes to creamy garlic mashed cauliflower, you’re sure to find the perfect dish for your next romantic dinner.
So put on your chef’s hat and get cooking!
I guarantee the romance will be simmering in the kitchen all night long!
23 Romantic Steak Dinner Sides
There are many different sides that can be served with steak for a romantic dinner. Some of the most popular options include roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, grilled tomatoes, and green beans.
You can also include a salad or soup to start the meal. For a sweet finish, you can serve a chocolate dessert or fruit salad.
Still looking for ideas?
Well, keep scrolling!
Here are 23 romantic steak dinner side dishes:
Here’s a side dish that’s simple, but also really delicious.
Roasted root vegetables are a great way to add some additional flavor and sweetness to your steak dinner.
You can use any type of root vegetable, but I recommend things like sweet potatoes, carrots, and turnips.
- Simply preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and toss your vegetables in a mixture of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Then spread them out on a baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes or until they’re soft and caramelized.
- Serve them alongside your steak dinner for an easy and delicious option that’ll make your meal special.
This side dish will add some romantic color and flavor to your steak dinner.
Carrot puree is a great way to add sweetness and moisture to the meat, without adding any extra calories.
For a finishing touch, some chopped fresh cilantro would be a perfect addition.
Serve this side dish alongside your favorite steak recipe and some steamed vegetables for a complete meal.
With this side dish, you can use your hands to feed your significant other the first bite.
- Start by rinsing and trimming the asparagus.
- Fill a pot with an inch or two of water and insert a steamer basket.
- Place the asparagus in the basket, cover the pot, and bring the water to a boil.
- Steam the asparagus for three to four minutes, or until it is bright green and tender.
- While the asparagus is cooking, prepare the hollandaise sauce.
- In a blender, combine an egg yolk, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and melted butter.
- Blend until smooth and pour into a small bowl.
- Serve the asparagus spears with a dollop of hollandaise sauce on top.
For an extra-special touch, garnish with some fresh parsley or chives.
How about some crunch for your romantic evening?
Grilled broccoli is a fantastic option to serve alongside your steak.
The slightly charred flavor of the broccoli pairs perfectly with the rich, juicy steak.
Plus, it’s a healthy vegetable side dish, so you can feel good about what you’re eating.
For an even more decadent meal, top the grilled broccoli with some shaved Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.
Add a glass of red wine, and you’re all set for a romantic evening in!
Show your loved one how fancy you can be with a frisée salad.
This type of salad is made with curly endive, which has a slightly bitter flavor.
It’s the perfect partner for rich, juicy steak.
- To make the salad, start by cooking some bacon in a pan.
- Once it’s crisp, remove it from the pan and set it aside on a paper towel to cool.
- In the same pan, cook some diced shallots until they’re softened.
- Then, add in red wine vinegar and Dijon mustard.
- Whisk together and pour over the frisée.
- Top with crumbled bacon and serve immediately.
For an extra special touch, add a grilled steak on top of the salad.
I know, I know. This side dish sounds complicated, but it’s actually quite simple to make.
And it’s definitely worth the effort, because it’s absolutely delicious.
This bistro salad is the perfect accompaniment to a romantic steak dinner.
It’s light yet filling, and the mix of flavors is simply heavenly.
- To make the salad, start with a bed of mixed greens.
- Top with croutons, lardons (cooked bacon), chopped walnuts, and a poached egg.
- Drizzle with your favorite vinaigrette and enjoy!
Your partner is definitely going to love this decadent side dish.
Risotto is a classic Italian rice dish that is usually made with Parmesan cheese and butter.
For this version, we’re adding in some gourmet mushrooms for extra flavor.
You can use any type of mushroom you like, but I recommend a mix of shiitake, oyster, and portobello.
This dish is best made in a large skillet so that the rice can cook evenly.
- Start by sautéing the mushrooms in some olive oil until they’re nice and tender.
- Then, add in the rice and toast it for a minute or two.
- Next, slowly add in chicken broth, a little at a time, until the rice is cooked through.
- Finally, stir in the Parmesan cheese and butter until everything is well combined.
- Serve immediately alongside your steak dinner.
Yeah, I bet you didn’t see this side dish recipe coming.
But trust me, it’s romantic as heck. Mashed potatoes are the perfect comfort food, and they pair beautifully with steak.
For a twist on the classic mashed potato, try making them Irish style.
- Start by boiling some Yukon Gold potatoes until they’re nice and soft.
- Then mash them up with some butter, cream, green onions, and sharp cheddar cheese.
- The result is a rich, creamy mashed potato that’s absolutely delicious.
- Serve it alongside your steak dinner for a truly romantic meal.
To make this dish even better, add in some crispy bacon bits or chopped chives for extra flavor.
Not every recipe has to be complicated, and that’s definitely the case with scalloped potatoes.
This dish is the perfect side to a romantic steak dinner, and it’s so easy to make.
- Start with thinly sliced potatoes, then add in some heavy cream, shredded cheese, and minced garlic.
- Season with salt and pepper, then bake in a covered dish until the potatoes are tender and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
For an extra special touch, top with fresh chopped parsley before serving.
You can also add in other ingredients like bacon or sauteed onions for even more flavor.
10. Wild Rice Pilaf
This side dish will make sure you don’t go hungry on your romantic steak dinner date.
It’s hearty and filling, but still light enough that you’ll have plenty of room for a delicious steak.
Wild rice pilaf is also pretty easy to make.
- Just cook the wild rice according to package directions, then stir in some sautéed onions, garlic, and mushrooms.
- For an even heartier dish, add in some chopped cooked chicken or turkey.
- Top it off with a sprinkle of fresh parsley, and you’re good to go.
- Serve this pilaf alongside a juicy steak and a simple green salad for a perfect date night meal.
Ah, the sweet potato.
This humble tuber is often relegated to side dish status, but it’s so much more than that.
A perfectly baked sweet potato is a thing of beauty, and it makes an excellent accompaniment to a steak dinner.
The natural sweetness of the potato pairs perfectly with the savory flavors of the meat, and the creamy texture is a perfect contrast to the crispy exterior of the steak.
But why stop there?
To really take this dish over the top, try topping your sweet potato with some crumbled bacon, melted cheese, and a dollop of sour cream.
Look, you don’t have to be a healthy eater to like Brussels sprouts.
When they’re roasted, they get all crispy and caramelized on the outside, while remaining nice and tender on the inside.
And when you add in some bacon and a bit of grated Parmesan cheese, you’ve got a side dish that’s fit for a romantic steak dinner.
- To make this dish, start by roasting your Brussels sprouts in a hot oven.
- Then, add some chopped bacon and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Toss everything together and serve immediately.
Your date is sure to be impressed!
How about some Cracker Barrel Baby Carrots?
These are so cute and romantic, and they make an excellent side dish for steak.
Plus, they’re healthy!
Just add in some butter, brown sugar, and a touch of cinnamon, and you’ve got a delicious, gourmet-style side dish that’s sure to impress your date.
And if you really want to take things up a notch, try serving them with a drizzle of honey or a sprinkle of chopped nuts.
Either way, your date is sure to be impressed with your culinary skills.
14. Glazed Carrots
Or, try serving your steak with glazed carrots instead.
It’s a simple yet elegant side dish that is sure to impress your date.
Plus, it’s healthy and easy to make.
- Simply start by roasting some carrots in the oven.
- Then, add a touch of honey and balsamic vinegar to create a sweet and tangy glaze.
- Finish things off with a sprinkle of fresh thyme leaves, and you’re good to go.
- Serve alongside your favorite steak recipe for a romantic dinner that’s sure to please.
This side dish is not complicated, but it does take some time to prepare.
- First, you’ll need to blanch the green beans in boiling water for a few minutes.
- Then, drain them and place them in an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Once they’re cooled, you can start on the sauce. In a pan, melt some butter and add in garlic, lemon juice, and toasted almonds.
- Toss the green beans in the sauce and serve.
For an extra touch of luxury, top with some shaved Parmesan cheese.
Cheese has a way of making everything better, and this side dish is no exception.
Roasting broccoli in the oven gives it a nice crispy texture, while the addition of garlic and Parmesan give it tons of flavor.
This dish is so good, you might even find yourself eating it as a main course!
- To make it, start by chopping up a head of broccoli into bite-sized pieces.
- Spread them out on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Then, add in some minced garlic, Parmesan cheese, and a little salt and pepper.
- Toss everything together to coat, then roast in the oven until the broccoli is crispy.
- Serve hot alongside your favorite steak recipe for a romantic dinner at home.
Cauliflower doesn’t have to be the boring vegetable side dish that you force yourself to eat.
When it’s roasted in the oven with some olive oil and garlic, it transforms into a delicious and healthy side dish that is perfect for a romantic steak dinner.
The best part is that it’s so easy to make.
Simply cut a head of cauliflower into florets, toss with some olive oil and garlic, and roast in a hot oven until browned and tender.
You can even add a little Parmesan cheese on top for extra flavor.
Serve alongside your favorite steak recipe for a meal that is sure to impress.
18. Creamed Spinach
Although this side dish might not sound super romantic, it’s actually a classic accompaniment to steak.
The rich, creamy flavors of the spinach are the perfect foil for a juicy piece of meat.
Plus, it’s relatively easy to make.
- Simply saute some chopped spinach in butter, then stir in some heavy cream and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, then serve.
For an extra-special touch, you could top the creamed spinach with a few fried onions or mushrooms.
Ah, I love this easy-to-make side dish!
It’s perfect for a special, romantic steak dinner.
Just saute some mushrooms with garlic, butter, and thyme.
But of course, there are other ingredients you can add to make it even better.
Try adding a splash of white wine or chicken broth to the pan while the mushrooms are cooking.
You can also top the mushrooms with a bit of grated Parmesan cheese just before serving. So good!
Serve alongside your favorite steak recipe for a truly decadent meal.
20. French Fries
Why not feed your loved one’s savory side with some French fries?
They’re the perfect side to a juicy steak, and they can be dressed up in so many ways.
- For a classic steak frites dish, start with some hand-cut potatoes that have been fried to perfection.
- Then, top them with a generous helping of fresh herbs, Parmesan cheese, and truffle oil.
- Serve alongside a grilled steak for a truly romantic meal.
This is a super delicious way to dress up plain basmati rice.
It’s perfect for a romantic steak dinner because it’s elegant and easy to make.
- Simply cook the rice according to package instructions.
- Then, stir in some chopped dried fruits (like apricots or raisins) and toasted almonds.
For a little extra flavor, you can also add in a pinch of cinnamon or cardamom.
This dish is sure to impress your date!
Here’s some serious flavor: Roasted vegetables with herbs and feta.
It’s the perfect side dish for a romantic steak dinner, or really any dinner where you want to impress your guests.
The key is to use a mix of seasonal vegetables, and roast them until they’re slightly charred around the edges.
I like to use a mix of sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, and onions.
- Toss the vegetables with some olive oil and fresh herbs, then roast in a hot oven until tender.
- Just before serving, top with crumbled feta cheese and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
23. Sautéed Kale
Lastly, an easy side that’s sure to impress is sautéed kale.
This leafy green vegetable is packed with nutrients, and it has a pleasantly bitter flavor that pairs well with steak.
- To make it, simply sauté some chopped kale in a bit of olive oil until it’s wilted.
- Then, season it with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
For an extra special touch, you could also top it with some shaved Parmesan cheese.
This dish is healthy, flavorful, and only takes a few minutes to make.
23 Easy Romantic Steak Dinner Sides
- Roasted Root Vegetables
- Carrot Puree with Ginger
- Steamed Asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce
- Grilled Broccoli
- Frisée Salad With Bacon Vinaigrette
- Bistro Salad with Poached Egg, Croutons, Lardons and Walnuts
- Gourmet Mushroom Risotto
- Irish Style Mashed Potatoes
- Scalloped Potatoes
- Wild Rice Pilaf
- Perfectly Baked Sweet Potato
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- Cracker Barrel Baby Carrots
- Glazed Carrots
- Green Beans Almondine
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Creamed Spinach
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- French Fries
- Basmati Rice Pilaf with Dried Fruits and Almonds
- Roasted Vegetables with Herbs and Feta
- Sautéed Kale
- Pick your favorite side dish from this list to serve for tonight's romantic steak dinner.
- Prepare the rest of your delicious meal.
- Enjoy in no time!