These sauces for mashed potatoes are the perfect way to take your side dish to the next level.
Whether you’re looking for traditional flavor, something a little more exotic, or an unexpected twist, you’ll find a sauce here that will make your mashed potatoes irresistible.
From creamy cheese sauces to tangy tomato-based creations, these twenty sauces are sure to satisfy even the pickiest palate.
Read on for delicious ideas for dressing up your mashed potatoes.
Creamy Sauce for Mashed Potatoes (Garlic White Sauce)
This is an easy sauce recipe you will want to use with everything from mashed potatoes to roasted veggies.
The creamy garlic white sauce is the perfect balance of flavor and texture, providing a richness that complements the mashed potatoes without overpowering them.
For an added kick, add some red pepper flakes or Sriracha sauce to the mix.
Pro Tip: Make sure to season your mashed potatoes with salt and pepper before adding the sauce for maximum flavor!
Lemon butter sauce is a great choice when it comes to mashed potatoes!
The light lemon flavor and creamy butter balance each other out nicely, while the subtle hint of garlic adds an extra layer of flavor.
Plus, it’s incredibly easy to make and goes perfectly with almost any dish.
- To use this sauce with mashed potatoes, simply combine the ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat until melted together.
- Then pour over your mashed potatoes for a delicious twist on classic comfort food.
Pro Tip: If you want more of a kick, add some crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce before serving!
Brown gravy is a great sauce to use with potatoes.
It has a rich and savory flavor that complements the potatoes perfectly.
The texture of the gravy is just right – not too thin or thick, so it coats the potatoes without overpowering them.
And if you’re looking for some heat, brown gravy can be spiced up with extra pepper or chili flakes.
Pro Tip: Make sure to season your mashed potatoes well before adding the sauce, as this will help enhance its flavor and overall balance in the dish.
Cheese gravy is another great choice.
It has a rich, cheesy flavor that is sure to make your mashed potatoes pop.
The velvety texture of the sauce coats the potatoes nicely without overpowering them, and it adds a bit of heat without being too spicy.
The cheese gravy provides a nice balance of flavor to the dish, making it a great choice for mashed potatoes.
When making cheese gravy, be sure to stir the mixture constantly while it is simmering to ensure that it thickens properly and doesn’t become lumpy.
Who can say no to the classic combination of mashed potatoes and mushroom sauce?
The bold flavor of the mushrooms paired with the creamy texture of the potatoes creates a delicious and comforting meal.
Mushroom sauce is a great option because of its rich, earthy flavor and its slightly thick texture.
It is also an ideal choice if you are looking to add a bit of heat to the dish.
To make the perfect mushroom sauce for mashed potatoes, make sure to simmer the sauce until thickened, and season it with salt, pepper, and a bit of garlic for a flavorful kick.
Pro tip: If you want to add a bit more depth of flavor, try adding a splash of brine from a jar of olives or capers.
Middle Eastern Garlic Sauce is a great choice when it comes to adding flavor to any dish with potatoes.
The sauce has a rich, garlicky flavor with a slight heat that complements the potatoes perfectly.
The texture is thick enough to coat the potatoes without being too thick or overpowering.
The balance of flavors this sauce provides makes it an ideal choice for adding flavor to mashed potatoes without taking away from the other components of the dish.
For an extra flavorful twist, try adding some fresh herbs or spices to the sauce before using it with mashed potatoes.
I really like this Creamy Peppered White Gravy sauce because of its creamy texture and delicious peppery flavor.
It is the perfect way to add a bit of richness and a hint of heat to any mashed potatoes dish.
It is also great for adding flavor to other dishes such as beef, chicken, and vegetables.
When using it with mashed potatoes, I find it best to start with a small amount and add more to taste.
As a pro tip, I like to mix some of the sauce into the mashed potatoes before serving for an extra flavorful boost.
I love the Lemon Beurre Blanc Sauce for its tangy, creamy flavor and its light texture.
This sauce is perfect for potatoes because it adds a subtle richness to the dish without being too heavy or overwhelming.
The lemon flavor pairs well with the potatoes, and the butter adds a touch of richness without being too heavy.
The slight hint of heat also compliments the dish nicely.
When making this sauce, my pro tip is to adjust the heat and the amount of butter to your taste.
I really like this Creamy Dijon Mustard Sauce because it has a great flavor that is both savory and slightly sweet.
The texture is creamy and not too thick, making it the perfect sauce to coat the potatoes without overpowering them.
The richness of the sauce adds a nice depth of flavor without being overly rich or heavy.
There is also a slight kick to the sauce which adds a nice balance of flavors and a bit of heat.
To make this sauce, I suggest combining the ingredients in a saucepan and stirring over medium heat until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.
A pro tip when making this sauce is to make sure to stir it constantly so the sauce doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan and burn.
Tartar sauce is another awesome choice.
Its mild flavor and creamy texture make it a great compliment to the potatoes, while its slight tanginess adds a layer of flavor that makes the dish even more enjoyable.
To use this sauce with mashed potatoes, simply spoon it over the top of the potatoes or mix it in with the potatoes directly.
As a pro tip, try adding a bit of chopped fresh herbs to the sauce, such as parsley or chives, to add a bit of freshness and brightness to the dish.
Easy Creamy Garlic Parmesan Sauce
This sauce has a rich, creamy texture that coats the potatoes without overpowering them, while the garlic and Parmesan add a delicious depth of flavor.
The sauce also has a subtle heat that adds a nice balance to the dish.
When using this sauce with mashed potatoes, make sure to add enough to coat the potatoes but not so much that it overwhelms them.
Pro Tip: try making the sauce in advance and reheating it before serving for a more intense flavor.
Roasted Red Pepper Pesto
Roasted red pepper pesto typically has a sweet and smoky flavor.
It is typically made with roasted red peppers, garlic, olive oil, and nuts or cheese.
- To use it in mashed potatoes, you would first cook and mash the potatoes as you normally would.
- Then, stir in a few tablespoons of the pesto to add flavor.
This would give the dish a sweet, smoky, and garlicky flavor.
Creamy Peppercorn Sauce
Creamy Peppercorn Sauce is usually a creamy, slightly spicy sauce made with cream, butter, and a combination of black and white peppercorns.
It has a robust flavor that adds a subtle kick to dishes.
It goes well with mashed potatoes, giving them a creamy, rich flavor.
To use the sauce with mashed potatoes, simply stir it into the potatoes after they have been mashed and heated.
You can also add extra butter, cream, or seasonings to the sauce to customize the flavor.
Dijon Mustard Sauce
Dijon mustard sauce has a tangy, slightly sweet and spicy flavor.
It is great for adding a bit of zing to mashed potatoes.
To use it for your potatoes, simply mix a few tablespoons of the sauce with your potatoes, adjusting the amount to your taste.
You can also mix in some butter and cream, if desired, to make the potatoes extra creamy and flavorful.
Browned Butter Sauce
Browned Butter Sauce tastes nutty and rich.
It is a perfect accompaniment to mashed potatoes.
- To use it, melt some butter in a saucepan over low heat until it starts to turn light brown and smell nutty.
- Then add some salt and pepper, and a bit of garlic or onion powder, if desired.
- Finally, stir in a splash of cream or milk and reduce the heat to low.
- Let the sauce simmer for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally until it has thickened.
- Serve over warm mashed potatoes.
What tastes good on mashed potatoes?
Mashed potatoes taste great with a variety of toppings, ranging from savory to sweet.
- For a savory topping, try adding shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, chopped scallions, or chives.
- You can also add some cooked and crumbled sausage, sautéed mushrooms, diced tomatoes, or caramelized onions.
- For a sweeter flavor, try adding some butter and brown sugar, a drizzle of honey or maple syrup, or some diced fresh fruit like apples or pears.
- You can also top mashed potatoes with a dollop of sour cream, a sprinkle of toasted nuts, or even a drizzle of melted marshmallows.
What can I put in mashed potatoes instead of gravy?
Mashed potatoes can be served with a variety of different toppings instead of gravy.
- Sauteed mushrooms and onions: Saute some mushrooms and onions in butter and add them to the top of the mashed potatoes for a savory burst of flavor.
- Cheese: Sprinkle some grated cheese over the mashed potatoes for a cheesy flavor.
- Bacon bits: Top the mashed potatoes with bacon bits for a crunchy, salty flavor.
- Sour cream and chives: Mix some sour cream and chives together and dollop over the mashed potatoes for a creamy, oniony flavor.
- Pesto: Drizzle some pesto over the mashed potatoes for a garlicky, herby flavor.
- Caramelized onions: Caramelize some onions in butter and sprinkle over the mashed potatoes for a sweet, savory flavor.
What can I add to bland mashed potatoes?
Mashed potatoes can be made flavorful with a variety of ingredients.
- Start by adding butter, cream, and/or sour cream to the potatoes to give them a creamy texture.
- You can also add herbs and spices such as garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, chives, dill, paprika, or cayenne pepper.
- For a cheesy flavor, try adding shredded cheese, grated Parmesan cheese, or cream cheese.
- For a sweet flavor, add some cooked bacon and chopped green onions. You can also mix in roasted vegetables like carrots, celery, or mushrooms.
- Finally, you can add some nutmeg or nutmeg butter for a nutty flavor.
How do you dress up ready-made mashed potatoes?
When you’ve got a batch of store-bought mashed potatoes, there are many ways to dress them up.
Here are some ideas:
- Add some herbs and spices like garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, parsley, or chives for extra flavor.
- Stir in some grated Parmesan cheese or a handful of crumbled feta cheese.
- Mix in some sautéed vegetables like mushrooms, peppers, onions, and broccoli.
- Stir in some cooked bacon, diced ham, or crumbled sausage.
- Add a dollop of sour cream for a creamy texture.
- Top with shredded cheese and bake until melted and bubbly.
- Stir in a few tablespoons of pesto for an Italian twist.
- Add a few tablespoons of chutney for a sweet and tangy flavor.
- Add some diced cooked potatoes and fry until golden brown.
- Add a few tablespoons of cream cheese to make them extra creamy and rich.
15 Sauces for Mashed Potatoes I Can’t Resist
- Creamy Sauce
- Lemon Butter Sauce
- Brown Gravy
- Cheese Gravy
- Mushroom Sauce
- Middle Eastern Garlic Sauce
- Creamy Peppered White Gravy
- Lemon Beurre Blanc Sauce
- Creamy Dijon Mustard Sauce
- Tartar Sauce
- Easy Creamy Garlic Parmesan Sauce
- Roasted Red Pepper Pesto
- Creamy Peppercorn Sauce
- Dijon Mustard Sauce
- Browned Butter Sauce
- Pick your favorite sauce or gravy from this list to use with your recipe.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Enjoy in no time!