Have you ever had a BLT sandwich?
If not, you’re missing out!
A BLT is a classic combination of bacon, lettuce and tomato served on toasted bread.
It’s one of the most popular sandwiches in the world – and for good reason.
But what kind of bread should you use for your BLT?
The best kind of bread to use for a classic BLT is a white sandwich loaf. It should be slightly toasted so that it holds together well, and has enough structure for the other ingredients. Sourdough or whole wheat bread also work great if you want something with more flavor.
Not all types are created equal when it comes to making this delicious sandwich.
In this article, I’ll be sharing 10 of the best breads for making an amazing BLT sandwich that will have your taste buds singing.
So let’s get started!
10 Best Breads For BLT Sandwiches
A BLT sandwich is a classic lunchtime favorite.
But to make the best sandwich, you need the right kind of bread.
Here are ten types of breads that are perfect for making BLT sandwiches, each offering a unique flavor and texture:
White sandwich bread is a type of bread made with white flour, water, yeast, and salt. It is usually light in color and texture and has a mild flavor.
It is commonly used for sandwiches, toast, French toast, grilled cheese sandwiches, and other dishes.
White sandwich bread is most commonly used to make sandwiches but can also be used for French toast or grilled cheese sandwiches.
It can also be toasted and served with butter or jam for breakfast or lunch. Additionally it can be used to make croutons for salads or stuffing for poultry dishes.
Whole wheat bread is a type of bread made with whole wheat flour, which is milled from the entire grain kernel.
It contains all three parts of the grain—the bran, germ, and endosperm—which makes it higher in fiber and other nutrients than white bread.
- Varieties: There are many varieties of whole wheat bread available on the market today. Some are made with 100% whole wheat flour while others may be a blend of white and whole wheat flours. Other varieties include sprouted grains or ancient grains such as spelt or kamut.
- Common Uses: Whole wheat bread can be used for sandwiches, toast, French toast, grilled cheese sandwiches, paninis, and more. It can also be used to make croutons for salads or stuffing for poultry dishes.
Sourdough bread is a type of bread made with a sourdough starter, which is a mixture of flour and water that has been allowed to ferment.
The fermentation process creates lactic acid, which gives the bread its distinctive tangy flavor.
Sourdough breads are usually denser than other types of breads due to the longer fermentation time required for them.
- Variations: Sourdough can be made in many different forms, including loaves, rolls, flatbreads, and pizza crusts. It can also be flavored with herbs or spices such as rosemary or garlic for added flavor.
- Common Uses: Sourdough is often used for sandwiches such as BLTs because it holds up well against the moisture from the bacon and tomatoes without becoming soggy. It’s also great for toast and grilled cheese sandwiches. Additionally, sourdough makes an excellent base for pizzas and focaccia-style flatbreads due to its robust flavor profile and chewy texture.
4. Rye Bread
Rye bread is a type of bread made with rye flour, which can range from light to dark in color depending on the amount of rye used.
It has a distinctive flavor and texture that sets it apart from other types of bread.
- Variations: Rye bread comes in many different varieties, including pumpernickel, Jewish rye, and sourdough rye. Each variety has its own unique flavor profile and texture. Pumpernickel is a dark-colored loaf made with coarsely ground whole grain rye flour; Jewish rye is lighter in color and usually contains some wheat flour; sourdough rye is made with a sourdough starter instead of yeast for leavening.
- Common Uses: Rye bread is commonly used for sandwiches such as Reubens or BLTs, but it can also be enjoyed as toast or served alongside soups or salads. It’s also popularly used to make croutons for salads or stuffing for poultry dishes.
Ciabatta is an Italian white bread made with wheat flour, water, salt, and yeast.
It has a crisp crust and a light, airy texture inside.
The dough is usually shaped into long loaves or rolls that are slightly flattened on top.
- Variations: Ciabatta can be flavored with herbs such as rosemary or oregano, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, or other ingredients to create different variations of the classic loaf.
- Common Uses: Ciabatta is often used for sandwiches such as panini and BLTs because its large surface area allows it to soak up sauces and condiments without becoming soggy. It can also be served as a side dish with soups and salads or used in recipes like focaccia bread or pizza crusts.
Ezekiel bread is a type of sprouted grain bread made from several different grains and legumes.
It is named after the biblical passage in Ezekiel 4:9, which states that grains and legumes should be combined to make bread.
The grains used in Ezekiel bread are wheat, barley, spelt, millet, and lentils.
- Variations: There are many variations of Ezekiel bread available on the market today. Some brands use only organic ingredients while others may include honey or other sweeteners for added flavor. Additionally, some brands offer gluten-free versions of their products as well as whole grain varieties with higher fiber content than traditional white flour-based loaves.
- Common Uses: Ezekiel bread can be used in place of regular sandwich bread for classic sandwiches like BLTs or grilled cheese sandwiches. It can also be used to make French toast or croutons for salads and soups. Additionally, it makes an excellent base for pizza crusts or flatbreads when topped with your favorite toppings!
A bagel is a type of bread product that is made from yeast-leavened dough and shaped into a ring.
It is boiled in water before being baked, giving it a chewy texture and distinctive flavor.
Bagels are usually topped with sesame or poppy seeds, but can also be plain or flavored with other ingredients such as garlic, onion, cinnamon raisin, blueberry, etc.
- Variations: There are many variations on the classic bagel recipe. Some popular variations include whole wheat bagels, pumpernickel bagels, egg bagels (made with eggs), and even gluten-free versions.
- Common Uses: Bagels are most commonly used for sandwiches such as the classic BLT (bacon lettuce tomato). They can also be served toasted with cream cheese or butter for breakfast or lunch. Bagels can also be used to make French toast or croutons for salads and soups.
8. Pita Bread
Pita bread is a type of flatbread made from wheat flour, water, yeast, and salt.
It is traditionally baked in an oven at high temperatures to create a pocket that can be filled with various ingredients.
The dough is rolled out into thin rounds before baking and the resulting pockets are often used as sandwich wraps or for dipping sauces.
- Variations: Pita bread comes in many different shapes and sizes depending on the region it’s from. In some areas, pita bread may be thicker than others or have a slightly different texture due to variations in ingredients or baking techniques. Some varieties of pita bread are also flavored with herbs such as oregano or garlic for added flavor.
- Common Uses: Pita bread is most commonly used as a wrap for sandwiches like gyros and falafel but can also be used to make pizza crusts, chips, and even desserts like baklava. It can also be cut into wedges and served with dips like hummus or tzatziki sauce.
An English muffin is a type of yeast-leavened bread made from wheat flour.
It is usually round, about 4 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick, with a flat top and bottom.
The dough is rolled into balls, then flattened before baking on a griddle or in the oven.
English muffins are known for their nooks and crannies which make them perfect for soaking up butter or jam.
- Variations: While traditional English muffins are made with white flour, there are many variations that use whole wheat flour or other grains such as oats or rye. Some recipes also call for adding ingredients like dried fruit, nuts, seeds, herbs, spices, cheese or bacon to give the muffins extra flavor and texture.
- Common Uses: English muffins can be served plain with butter and jam as part of breakfast or brunch; they can also be used as the base for sandwiches such as egg salad sandwiches or BLT’s (bacon lettuce tomato). They can also be split open and toasted before being topped with savory ingredients like cheese sauce or chili con carne; sweet toppings like honey butter; or even used to make mini pizzas!
A croissant is a type of pastry made from layers of buttery, flaky dough.
It is usually crescent-shaped and can be filled with various ingredients such as ham, cheese, or chocolate.
The dough is made by folding in layers of butter to create a light and airy texture.
- Variations: Croissants come in many different shapes and sizes, including mini croissants, jumbo croissants, and even savory versions filled with meats or cheeses. They can also be flavored with herbs or spices for added flavor.
- Common Uses: Croissants are most commonly served as breakfast pastries but can also be used to make sandwiches for lunch or dinner. They are often served alongside coffee or tea and can be topped with jam, honey, nutella, cream cheese, or other spreads for extra flavor.
In conclusion, there are many delicious bread options for BLT sandwiches.
From traditional white sandwich bread to more creative options like bagels and croissants, there is something for everyone.
The best breads for BLT sandwiches are white sandwich bread, whole wheat bread, sourdough bread, rye bread, ciabatta, Ezekiel bread, bagel, pita bread, English muffins, and croissants.
Each of these breads has its own unique flavor and texture, so you can experiment with different combinations to find the perfect bread for your sandwich.
No matter which bread you choose, you can enjoy a delicious sandwich that’s sure to satisfy your taste buds.
10 Best Breads For BLT Sandwiches
- White Sandwich Bread
- Whole Wheat Bread
- Sourdough Bread
- Rye Bread
- Ezekiel Bread
- Pita Bread
- English Muffins
- Select your favorite type of bread.
- Prepare the rest of your BLT sandwich.
- Enjoy in no time!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.