As more people are choosing to follow plant-based diets, the demand for veggie burgers has increased.
Veggie burgers have come a long way since their early days of being bland and unappetizing.
Nowadays, veggie burgers are flavorful and satisfying, and the toppings that go on them can take them to the next level.
When it comes to veggie burger toppings, the possibilities are endless.
From classic toppings like lettuce and tomato to more unique options like avocado and roasted Brussels sprouts, there is a topping for every taste preference.
In this article, we will explore some of the best veggie burger toppings out there, so you can take your veggie burger game to the next level.
When it comes to veggie burgers, sometimes you just want the classics. Here are some classic toppings to consider:
- Cheese: Whether you’re a fan of cheddar, Swiss, or something else, a slice of cheese can add a creamy, savory flavor to your veggie burger.
- Lettuce: A few leaves of crisp lettuce can add a refreshing crunch to your burger. Butter lettuce is a popular choice, but you can also try romaine or iceberg.
- Tomato: A juicy slice of tomato can add a burst of sweetness to your burger. Look for ripe, in-season tomatoes for the best flavor.
- Onion: Whether you prefer raw or cooked onions, they can add a pungent, slightly sweet flavor to your burger. Red onions are a popular choice, but you can also try yellow or white onions.
- Pickles: Tangy pickles can add a nice contrast to the savory flavors of your burger. Dill pickles are a classic choice, but you can also try bread and butter pickles or spicy pickles.
- Ketchup: A dollop of ketchup can add a sweet, tangy flavor to your burger. Look for ketchup without high fructose corn syrup for a healthier option.
- Mustard: Whether you prefer yellow, Dijon, or spicy brown, mustard can add a tangy kick to your burger.
Of course, these are just a few classic toppings to consider. Feel free to mix and match to find your perfect combination!
When it comes to veggie burger toppings, the possibilities are endless. Here are some creative toppings to take your veggie burger to the next level:
- Grilled Pineapple: Add a sweet and tangy twist to your burger with grilled pineapple slices.
- Roasted Red Peppers: Roasted red peppers add a smoky and slightly sweet flavor to your burger.
- Guacamole: Top your burger with a dollop of guacamole for a creamy and delicious addition.
- Pesto: Spread some pesto on your bun for a burst of fresh herb flavor.
- Caramelized Onions: Sweet, savory, and oh-so-delicious, caramelized onions add a depth of flavor to your burger.
Another way to get creative with your veggie burger toppings is to experiment with different sauces and spreads. Here are some ideas:
|Smoky and spicy
|Tangy and sweet
|Spicy and garlicky
|Sweet and savory with a hint of spice
Don’t be afraid to get creative and try new things with your veggie burger toppings. With so many options available, you’re sure to find a combination that you love.
Sauces and Spreads
One of the best ways to add flavor and moisture to your veggie burger is by using sauces and spreads. There are many options to choose from, ranging from classic condiments to more unique and creative options. Here are some popular sauces and spreads to consider:
|A classic condiment that adds a creamy texture and tangy flavor to your burger.
|A tangy and slightly spicy condiment that pairs well with veggie burgers that have a savory flavor.
|A sweet and tangy condiment that is a classic choice for burgers of all kinds, including veggie burgers.
|A creamy and flavorful spread made from mashed avocados, lime juice, and spices. It adds a fresh and zesty flavor to your burger.
|A spread made from chickpeas, tahini, and spices. It adds a nutty and slightly tangy flavor to your burger.
Other popular sauces and spreads to consider include:
- Barbecue sauce
When choosing a sauce or spread, consider the flavor profile of your veggie burger and choose a sauce that complements it. For example, if your burger has a smoky or spicy flavor, consider using a barbecue sauce or Sriracha. If your burger has a Mediterranean or Middle Eastern flavor, consider using tzatziki or hummus.
Bun and Bread Options
When it comes to veggie burgers, the bun or bread you choose can make all the difference in the taste and texture of your burger. Here are some options to consider:
Traditional burger buns are a popular choice for veggie burgers. They are soft and fluffy, and hold up well to the weight of the burger and toppings. Look for whole wheat or multigrain options for added nutrition.
English muffins are a great alternative to traditional burger buns. They are sturdy and have a slightly sour taste that complements the flavors of the burger and toppings. Split them in half and toast them for added texture.
If you’re looking for a low-carb or gluten-free option, try using a portobello mushroom cap as your bun. Simply grill or roast the mushroom until it’s tender and juicy, and use it to sandwich your veggie burger and toppings.
Lettuce wraps are another low-carb option that can add a refreshing crunch to your veggie burger. Use large leaves of butter lettuce or romaine lettuce to wrap around your burger and toppings.
If you’re not a fan of burger buns or lettuce wraps, there are plenty of other bread options to consider. Here are a few ideas:
Choose a bread that complements the flavors of your veggie burger and toppings, and toast it for added texture and flavor.
15+ Best Veggie Burger Toppings
- Grilled Pineapple
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Caramelized Onions
- Barbecue sauce
- Select your favorite topping.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a delicious veggie burger recipe in 30 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.