Cabbage rolls are a delicious, hearty dish that can be served as an entree or side.
Paired with the right vegetables, this traditional Eastern European dish can be the centerpiece of a delicious meal.
In this article, we’ll explore 11 of the best vegetables to serve with cabbage rolls, and the recipes you can make with them.
Potatoes are a great accompaniment to cabbage rolls and can be served in a variety of ways.
They can be boiled, mashed, or diced and added to the cabbage rolls to give them more texture and flavor.
They can also be cut and roasted with garlic and olive oil for a crispy side dish.
With potatoes, it’s easy to create a hearty and comforting meal that everyone will love.
Carrots are a classic, versatile vegetable that pairs perfectly with cabbage rolls.
Roast them in the oven with some olive oil, salt and pepper for an easy side dish, or add them to your cabbage rolls while they’re cooking for an added layer of flavor.
Carrots are also great for making a flavorful broth to accompany your cabbage rolls.
Simply add some celery, onions and garlic to the broth for a delicious, filling soup.
You can also mix carrots with cooked rice to make a healthier version of pilaf to serve alongside your cabbage rolls.
Onions are a classic accompaniment to cabbage rolls, adding a flavorful kick to the dish.
They can be cooked before being added to the rolls, either by sautéing or roasting, or they can be added raw.
To add the most flavor, caramelize the onions in a bit of butter or oil before adding them to the dish.
Onions are also an essential ingredient in many cabbage roll recipes, adding an aromatic base for the dish.
Try adding diced onions to the cabbage rolls for a delicious twist.
Mushrooms are a great addition to any recipe.
They add a meaty, umami flavor to the dish, as well as a hearty texture.
They can be cooked in a variety of ways, such as sautéed, roasted, or grilled.
They’re a great accompaniment to the cabbage rolls and provide a delicious flavor contrast.
Add them to your dish for an extra layer of flavor and texture.
5. Green beans
Green beans are a great accompaniment to cabbage rolls.
Their crunchy texture and bright color provide a great contrast to the soft, comforting texture of the cabbage rolls.
They pair nicely with a variety of seasonings and can be cooked in a variety of ways. You can steam them, roast them, or sauté them with garlic and herbs.
Serve them as a side or use them in a salad to give the cabbage rolls an extra burst of flavor.
Peas are a great side dish as they are easy to prepare and can be served in a variety of ways.
They can be boiled, steamed, sautéed, roasted, or even microwaved.
Peas can be tossed in a light vinaigrette, mixed with fresh herbs, or served with a creamy sauce.
They can also be combined with other vegetables such as carrots and onions, or with meats such as chicken, salmon, or bacon.
Peas can be served as an accompaniment to any meal, from breakfast to dinner.
They are also a great source of protein, vitamins, and minerals, so they are a healthy addition to any meal.
Corn can be served on the side in a variety of ways.
It can be boiled or roasted in the oven, grilled on the barbecue, or microwaved.
You can also mash it, fry it in a pan with butter, or add it to a salad.
Corn can also be added to soups and stews, served with butter and salt, or combined with other vegetables and herbs to create a more flavorful side dish.
Corn can also be used to make delicious cornbread, muffins, fritters, and other baked goods.
Spinach is a great way to add flavor, nutrition, and texture to cabbage rolls.
If you’re looking for a way to incorporate spinach into your dinner, there are several options.
- One of the simplest ways is to serve a side of cooked spinach on the side of your cabbage rolls.
- Another way to add spinach is to incorporate it into the rolls themselves. You can finely chop the spinach and mix it into the filling, or create thin layers of spinach to stuff between the cabbage leaves.
- Lastly, you can top the rolls with a layer of cooked, sautéed spinach before baking.
No matter how you choose to use spinach, it will add a delicious flavor and nutritional boost to your dinner.
Zucchini is a versatile vegetable that can be incorporated into many dishes.
When making cabbage rolls, you can use zucchini to add flavor and texture.
- A great way to incorporate zucchini is to shred it and add it to the filling, along with the other vegetables.
- You can also use zucchini noodles in place of regular noodles in the cabbage rolls.
- Or you can add coarsely chopped zucchini to the tomato sauce that you use to cook the cabbage rolls.
- Finally, you can use zucchini to make a delicious side dish.
Grate zucchini, then sauté it with garlic, onion, and herbs for a tasty side dish.
Broccoli is an incredibly versatile vegetable that pairs wonderfully with cabbage rolls.
- You can easily incorporate it into your meal by making a side dish of roasted broccoli, steamed broccoli with a light butter and garlic sauce, or sautéed broccoli with a splash of lemon juice.
- You can also add it to your cabbage rolls by chopping it up and mixing it in with the filling.
- Finally, you can serve a simple salad of raw broccoli and other vegetables, lightly dressed with olive oil and a splash of vinegar.
A great way to add celery to your cabbage roll dinner is to use it in the filling.
- You can finely chop celery and add it to the mix of cooked rice, ground beef, and other seasonings you may be using for the filling.
- You can also add celery to the sauce you are using for the cabbage rolls. If you are using a tomato-based sauce, chopped celery can add a nice crunch and flavor.
- You can also use celery to make a side dish. Sautéed celery with butter and herbs is a simple and delicious side that pairs well with cabbage rolls.
- Finally, you can use celery in a salad or slaw that you can serve along with your cabbage rolls.
Celery adds a crunchy, light flavor to any salad or slaw.
11 Best Vegetables to Serve with Cabbage Rolls (And How)
- Green beans
- Pick any of these vegetables to serve with your meal.
- Prepare the rest of your tasty dish.
- Enjoy in no time!