Looking for a way to add a little bit of Irish flavor to your next burger?
Look no further than these top 25 Irish burger toppings that are sure to make your mouth water.
From classic Irish flavors like cheddar cheese and corned beef, to spicy and savory toppings like black pudding and whiskey sauce, there’s a little something for everyone.
And don’t worry, even vegans and vegetarians can get in on the fun with options like falafel patties and roasted portobello mushrooms.
So fire up the grill, grab your buns and toppings, and get ready to enjoy a burger with a bit of Irish flair.
Classic Irish Flavors
When it comes to adding a bit of Irish flair to your burger, you can’t go wrong with these classic flavors. Here’s how to prepare each topping:
- Irish cheddar cheese: Thinly slice the cheese and place it on top of your burger patty. For an extra gooey burger, melt the cheese on the patty under the broiler for a minute or two before assembling your burger.
- Corned beef: Heat up some leftover corned beef or cook up a fresh batch. Slice it thin and layer it on top of your burger patty.
- Guinness caramelized onions: In a large skillet, cook sliced onions in butter until they are caramelized. Add a splash of Guinness and continue cooking until the liquid has evaporated and the onions are nice and sticky.
- Boxty (Irish potato pancake): Follow a recipe to make boxty pancakes and use them in place of traditional burger buns.
- Ballymaloe relish: This sweet and tangy relish is perfect for adding a burst of flavor to your burger. Simply spoon it on top of your burger patty before adding any other toppings.
Spicy and Savory
If you’re looking to kick your burger up a notch, these spicy and savory Irish burger toppings are sure to do the trick. Here’s how to prepare each one:
- Black pudding: Fry slices of black pudding in a pan until crispy and then place them on top of your burger patty.
- Dubliner cheese: This tangy cheese pairs perfectly with a beef burger. Slice it thinly and add it to your burger.
- Spicy whiskey sauce: Combine whiskey, brown sugar, chili powder, and tomato paste in a small saucepan and simmer until thickened. Spoon the sauce over your burger.
- Waterford blaa (soft bread roll): This soft, pillowy bread is a classic Irish favorite. Use it as a burger bun for a unique twist on the traditional burger.
- Crispy rashers (Irish bacon): Cook rashers in a pan until crispy and then add them to your burger for a salty, savory kick.
Fresh and Zesty
Add a touch of freshness to your burger with these zesty Irish toppings. Here’s how to prepare each one:
- Ballyhoura wild garlic pesto: Combine wild garlic, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, and olive oil in a food processor and pulse until a pesto forms. Spread it on top of your burger patty before adding any other toppings.
- Irish smoked salmon: Flake smoked salmon and sprinkle it on top of your burger patty. This topping pairs particularly well with cream cheese or a dill spread.
- Roasted beetroot: Roast beetroots until tender and slice them thinly. Add the slices to your burger for a vibrant pop of color and flavor.
- Rocket (arugula): Top your burger with a handful of fresh arugula for a peppery, herbaceous kick.
- Pickled red cabbage: In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, and water with sliced red cabbage and bring to a boil. Let cool and then spoon the pickled cabbage on top of your burger.
Looking to switch things up? Try these unconventional Irish burger toppings for a unique twist on the classic burger. Here’s how to prepare each one:
- Colcannon (mashed potatoes with cabbage and scallions): Form leftover colcannon into patties and fry them until crispy. Place the patties on top of your burger patty.
- Murphy’s stout BBQ sauce: Combine Murphy’s stout, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard in a saucepan and simmer until thickened. Brush the sauce onto your burger patty while it cooks on the grill.
- Clonakilty white pudding: Fry slices of white pudding in a pan until crispy and then add them to your burger for a unique twist on the classic breakfast sandwich.
- Jameson whiskey glaze: Combine Jameson whiskey, brown sugar, garlic, and soy sauce in a small saucepan and simmer until thickened. Spoon the glaze over your burger patty.
- Dill pickle slices: Add a few slices of dill pickles to your burger for a tangy, briny crunch.
Vegan and Vegetarian
Even if you don’t eat meat, you can still enjoy the flavors of Ireland on your burger. Here are some vegan and vegetarian Irish burger toppings to try. Here’s how to prepare each one:
- Vegan Irish cheddar cheese: Slice the vegan cheese thinly and place it on top of your vegan burger patty. For an extra melty cheese, cover the patty with a lid to let the cheese melt.
- Falafel patty: Form chickpea and herb falafel mixture into patties and cook until crispy. Place the falafel patty on a bun and top with your favorite toppings.
- Sweet potato fries: Roast sweet potato fries until crispy and then pile them on top of your vegan burger patty.
- Roasted portobello mushroom: Marinate portobello mushrooms in balsamic vinegar and olive oil and then grill or roast them until tender. Add the mushroom to your vegan burger.
- Vegan mayonnaise with Irish seaweed: Mix vegan mayonnaise with dried Irish seaweed for a creamy, umami-packed spread that’s perfect for adding to your vegan burger.
There you have it, our top 25 Irish burger toppings that are sure to take your burger game to the next level. Whether you’re looking for classic Irish flavors, fresh and zesty toppings, unconventional twists, vegan options, or even dessert-inspired toppings, there’s something here for everyone to enjoy.
So why not celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, or any day, with a delicious burger that’s been infused with the flavors of the Emerald Isle?
25 Best Irish Burger Toppings
- Irish cheddar cheese
- Corned beef
- Guinness caramelized onions
- Boxty (Irish potato pancake)
- Ballymaloe relish
- Black pudding
- Dubliner cheese
- Spicy whiskey sauce
- Ballyhoura wild garlic pesto
- Roasted beetroot
- Rocket (arugula)
- Pickled red cabbage
- Murphy's stout BBQ sauce
- Vegan Irish cheddar cheese
- Roasted portobello mushroom
- Falafel patty
- Sweet potato fries
- Vegan mayo
- Select your favorite topping ideas.
- Organize all the required ingredients.
- Prep a delicious Irish burger in 30 minutes or less!
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.