We all know that grilled cheese and tomato soup is the ultimate comfort food.
But what happens when the last bite of sandwich is gone and there’s barely any soup left?
See Also: What Salad Goes with Tomato Soup? 10 Best Salads
It’s time to break out a dessert that will pair perfectly with your favorite meal!
See Also: 13 Best Tomatoes for Tomato Soup
16 Desserts that Go Well with Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Who doesn’t love a good grilled cheese and tomato soup combo?
Of course, the best part is that you can eat it any time of day.
And while grilled cheese and tomato soup are delicious on their own, they’re even better when you add in some dessert!
Here are my top 16 picks:
Cheesecake is one of my all-time favorites.
I love that it’s creamy and rich, but not too sweet.
Cheesecake is great on its own, but it also pairs really well with grilled cheese and tomato soup because it’s like a savory dessert—the sweetness of the tomatoes complements the saltiness of the cheese, while the sourness of the lemon juice cuts through everything else.
It’s also easy to make cheesecake at home!
You can use any kind of crust you want (I like graham cracker), and just throw together your favorite combination of ingredients for the filling.
2. Cake Pops
Cake pops are cute little morsels of cake coated in chocolate or candy shell, making them the perfect sweet treat for anyone who loves dessert but can’t handle too much sugar at once… like me!
3. Fruit Salad
Fruit salad is a great option if you want something healthy and light after your main course—and it’s easy enough to throw together on short notice when there’s no room left on the table for anything else by then anyway!
These cookies are always a no-brainer.
They’re sweet enough to balance out the salty flavors of the sandwich, but not so sweet that they’ll overpower the soup’s taste.
This dessert combines the best of both worlds—the tartness of a blueberry crisp will cut through the richness of the cheese and creaminess of the soup like nobody’s business.
The apples in this dessert are just as sweet as they are tart, so they make a great pairing for both parts of this meal.
Plus, it’s got ice cream on top!
What could be better than that?
This parfait is perfect for the summertime—it’s light, fruity, and refreshing.
Of course, if peaches aren’t your thing, you could use another fruit like strawberries or raspberries instead!
The ice cream sandwich has always been a crowd favorite, but this version is truly next-level deliciousness!
The strawberry shortcake flavor is perfect for summertime, too!
And if you want to make these sandwiches even more decadent (and even better with cheese and tomato soup), add some whipped cream or marshmallows on top of the ice cream before you freeze it so that it melts into your mouth when you eat it!
Chocolate cupcakes are always a crowd-pleaser!
See Also: 19 Frosting Ideas for Chocolate Cupcakes
They’re easy to make and everyone loves them—just be sure to frost them with chocolate icing for an extra special touch!
10. Cheesecake Bars
You don’t even need a recipe to make these!
- Just throw together some graham crackers, cream cheese, and sugar.
- Bake for about ten minutes at 350 degrees, then put them in the fridge for an hour until they’re chilled.
- Then just cut them into squares and serve!
11. Banana Bread
This one is a little more involved—you have to bake it in a loaf pan—but it’s well worth it!
- Just take ripe bananas, mash them up with a fork, add sugar and vanilla extract (optional), and mix them together until they look like cake batter.
- Then add flour and baking soda until it’s nice and thick; pour into a loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for an hour or so until golden brown on top.
- Let cool before serving with your soup.
12. Carrot Cake
Nothing says “this meal has been satisfying” like carrot cake!
The cake itself is moist and dense, with plenty of carrots mixed in for added flavor and texture.
Grilled cheese and tomato soup is a classic.
But what if you want to kick it up a notch?
Brownies are the perfect dessert to pair with this dish.
The rich chocolate flavor of the brownie pairs perfectly with the creamy tomato soup, while the crunchy edges of the grilled cheese add a salty flavor that brings everything together.
14. Lemon Bars
Lemon bars are a perfect pairing for grilled cheese and tomato soup because they have an acidic tang that will cut through any greasiness from eating too much dairy without making you feel like you’re eating something too rich or heavy to finish off your meal.
Plus, who doesn’t love lemon?
15. Key Lime Pie
This classic pie is a great compliment to grilled cheese and tomato soup because its tart lime flavor offsets the salty taste of the cheese and savory flavors of the soup.
It also has a creaminess that will tame any spice burning in your throat from eating too much grilled cheese!
16. Oatmeal Cookies
Oatmeal cookies are another great choice for pairing with grilled cheese and tomato soup because they have lots of texture (think: crunchy oats) which makes them satisfying enough to eat on their own but also soft enough that they won’t get stuck in your teeth.
How to Pick a Dessert to Serve with Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
Eating grilled cheese with tomato soup is a classic, but it can be hard to decide which dessert to serve with it.
Here are some considerations:
- Consider if You Want a Sweet or Savory Dessert: Grilled cheese and tomato soup has a savory flavor, so if you want something sweet, make sure to choose something that will complement the other flavors. For example, if you’re serving honey-glazed ham with your grilled cheese and tomato soup, try serving apple pie or blueberry cobbler as well.
- Consider if You Want Something Lighter or Heavier than What’s Already on The Table: If your grilled cheese and tomato soup are heavy on their own, then consider serving something light like chocolate mousse or key lime pie—or vice versa if you’re looking for something light to serve alongside your meal.
- Consider How Much Time You Have: If your guests are coming over later in the evening and won’t be eating until much later, then you may not want to spend much time making dessert. Try something simple like cookies or brownies—they’ll be ready in no time!
- Consider Your Budget: There is no rule that says you have to serve dessert at every meal (or even at all), but if you’re looking for something simple and inexpensive to serve with this meal, consider pie filling for a quick dessert option.
- Consider Your Guests’ Preferences: If you have guests who aren’t big fans of either sweet or savory foods, you might want to skip the dessert altogether and serve espresso instead.
What Dessert Goes with Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup
- Cake Pops
- Fruit Salad
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Blueberry Crisp
- Apple Pie with Ice Cream
- Peach Melba Parfait
- Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- Cheesecake Bars
- Banana Bread
- Carrot Cake
- Lemon Bars
- Key Lime Pie
- Oatmeal Cookies
- Pick any dessert from this list.
- Prepare the ingredients according to the recipe.
- Serve it alongside your delicious meal!