Are you looking for the best toppings for lamb burgers?
If so, you’ve come to the right place!
I’ve rounded up 11 of the best lamb burger toppings, including both traditional and unique options.
From feta cheese and tzatziki sauce to roasted red peppers and avocado, there is sure to be a topping on this list that you’ll love.
So go ahead and give one (or all!) of these toppings a try the next time you make lamb burgers!
- What Cheese Goes with Lamb Burgers? (11 Kinds of Cheese)
- Lamb Burger Wine Pairing – The Best Wines for Lamb Burgers
11 Best Toppings for Lamb Burgers
Why settle for anything less than the best when it comes to your lamb burgers?
See Also: What to Serve with Lamb Burgers? 15 Lamb Burger Sides
Toppings can make or break a burger, and there are a number of great options out there that pair well with lamb.
From traditional toppings like feta cheese and mint to more unique options like apricots and rosemary, there’s something for everyone.
Here are 11 of the best toppings for lamb burgers:
This might just be the most popular burger topping if we’re talking lamb burgers.
See Also: 14 Tasty Sauces that Go with Lamb Burgers
It’s a classic for a reason – it’s flavorful, creamy, and pairs well with so many other ingredients.
To make avocado tzatziki sauce, you’ll need:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Simply combine all of the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. If you want a thinner consistency, add a little water until you reach the desired consistency.
This sauce is delicious on its own, but if you’re looking to take your burger to the next level, try pairing it with:
- Fried onions
- Pickled jalapeños
- Tomato slices
This topping needs no introduction!
See Also: 10 Herbs & Spices that Go with Lamb Burgers
Aioli is a sauce made of garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice. It is perfect for lamb burgers because it adds a nice zing to the burger without overpowering the taste of the lamb.
Here are a few tips for making this topping:
- Use fresh garlic cloves for the best flavor.
- Use a food processor or blender to make sure the garlic is finely minced.
- If you don’t have lemon juice, you can substitute with vinegar.
- Adjust the amount of olive oil to get the consistency that you want. If you want a thinner sauce, add more oil. If you want a thicker sauce, add less oil.
- You can also add other seasonings to this sauce such as salt, pepper, or herbs.
Here are some ideas for pairing this topping with other ingredients in your burger:
- Lamb Burger with Feta Cheese and Lemon Garlic Aioli: This combination is classic and delicious! The salty feta cheese pairs perfectly with the zesty aioli.
- Lamb Burger with Goat Cheese and Mint: This combination is fresh and flavorful! The mint complements the garlic in the aioli perfectly.
- Lamb Burger with Cheddar Cheese and Barbecue Sauce: This combination is rich and savory! The sharp cheddar cheese pairs well with the tangy barbecue sauce.
3. Feta Cheese
Feta cheese and lamb have always been a classic combination.
The creamy, salty feta pairs perfectly with the richness of lamb.
When preparing this topping, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- First, make sure that the feta cheese is at room temperature before adding it to your burger. This will help it to melt more evenly and avoid clumping.
- Second, if you want a really smooth, creamy texture, you can crumble the feta cheese before adding it to your burger. Or, if you prefer a little more texture in your burger, you can leave the feta cheese in larger chunks.
- Lastly, when pairing this topping with other ingredients, I recommend using fresh ingredients that will complement the feta cheese without overwhelming it.
Some of my favorite combinations include: lamb + feta + tomato + onion + tzatziki sauce; lamb + feta + cucumber + red onion + mint yogurt sauce; and lamb + feta + spinach + roasted red pepper + balsamic glaze.
4. Caramelized onions
This lamb burger topping is one of my favorites due to its sweetness and savoriness.
Caramelized onions are a perfect addition to any lamb burger because they bring out the natural flavors of the meat.
There are a few things to keep in mind when caramelizing onions.
- The first is to slice the onions thinly so that they will cook evenly.
- The second is to use a bit of fat, whether it be butter, oil, or even bacon grease. This will help to prevent the onions from sticking to the pan and burning.
- Lastly, be patient! Caramelizing onions takes time, but it is worth it in the end.
Now for some ideas on how to pair this topping with other ingredients.
I personally like to add some crumbled blue cheese and sliced avocado to my burger.
However, feel free to get creative and mix and match different toppings until you find a combination that you love!
5. Goat cheese
Of course I had to mention goat cheese when talking about lamb burgers.
The two just go so well together!
If you’ve never had goat cheese before, it’s a type of cheese that’s made from goat’s milk.
It has a slightly tangy flavor and a creamy texture.
When choosing a goat cheese for your lamb burger, I recommend going with a milder variety.
This will help to balance out the strong flavor of the lamb.
- To prepare the goat cheese, simply crumble it into small pieces.
- Then top your burger with as much or as little as you like.
As for pairing this topping with other ingredients, I think it goes best with simple toppings like lettuce, tomato, and onion.
But feel free to get creative and mix things up!
6. Roasted red peppers
Believe me when I say that roasted red peppers are the way to go when it comes to lamb burgers.
I know, I know.
You’re probably thinking, “Lamb is already so flavorful. Do I really need to add anything else to it?”
The answer is yes!
Yes, you do need to add roasted red peppers to your lamb burger.
Trust me on this one.
Here’s how to prepare them:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the peppers into thin slices and lay them out on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Roast the peppers for 20 minutes, or until they’re soft and slightly charred around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before adding them to your burger.
Now that you know how to prepare them, here are some ideas for what to do with them:
- Add them as a topping on your lamb burger along with some feta cheese and tzatziki sauce.
- Make a roasted red pepper and feta cheese spread by blending together roasted red peppers, feta cheese, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic in a food processor or blender until smooth. Spread this on your lamb burger bun before adding the burger patty and toppings of your choice.
- Use them as a pizza topping along with some caramelized onions, feta cheese, and Kalamata olives.
- Add them to a lamb wrap along with some hummus, feta cheese, and greens.
If you haven’t tried apricots on your lamb burger, you’re missing out!
This sweet and tangy fruit is the perfect addition to lamb’s gamey flavor.
Plus, the natural sugars in apricots will help to caramelize the meat as it cooks, giving your burger a delicious crust.
When selecting apricots for your burger topping, look for fruits that are soft to the touch and have a deep orange color.
Avoid apricots that are hard or have green spots, as these will be sour and not very flavorful.
To prepare the apricots, simply remove the pit and slice the fruit into thin wedges.
If you’re looking for other ways to add flavor to your lamb burger, try pairing it with feta cheese, tzatziki sauce, or mint chutney.
And if you want to get really creative, try using apricot preserves or jam in place of fresh fruit.
Trust me, your taste buds will thank you!
8. Lebanese Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
The addition of mint in this yogurt sauce takes these lamb burgers to the next level.
The cooling and refreshing effect of the mint is the perfect compliment to the richness of the lamb.
I like to use Greek yogurt in this recipe because it is thick and creamy, but you could also use regular yogurt if that is what you have on hand.
Just be sure to strain it before using it in the sauce so that it is not too runny.
- To prepare the sauce, simply combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Then, taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
This sauce can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to a week.
Just be sure to give it a good stir before using it on your burgers.
- When you are ready to assemble your burgers, start by spreading some of the sauce on the bottom bun.
- Then, add your cooked burger patty, followed by any other toppings that you like.
I think that this sauce pairs well with grilled onions, tomato, and feta cheese.
Hummus is super easy to whip up and makes for a delicious burger topping.
You can use any kind of hummus you like, but I recommend a classic flavor or a roasted red pepper hummus.
To prepare the hummus, simply spread it on top of your cooked burger patty.
I like to add a generous amount so that the flavors can really shine through.
Next, add your favorite toppings.
I love to pair hummus with grilled onions, tomato, and feta cheese.
But you can really use whatever you like. Get creative!
Lastly, don’t forget the bun.
A soft bun works best so that the burger doesn’t fall apart when you take a bite.
Add some lettuce and pickles to finish it off and you’re good to go!
10. Sun-dried tomatoes
How did I almost forget about sun-dried tomatoes!
They are my favorite way to add a ton of flavor to any dish, especially lamb burgers.
Here are a few tips on how to use them:
- rehydrate them in hot water for 5 minutes before using
- chop them up into small pieces so that they distribute evenly throughout your burger
- mix them with other toppings like feta cheese, red onion, and parsley
- use them as a condiment on your burger by topping it with a sun-dried tomato aioli or tapenade
I hope you enjoy this delicious topping as much as I do!
Pesto is amazing on pretty much anything, but it especially shines on a lamb burger.
If you’ve never had pesto on a burger before, you’re in for a real treat!
There are a few things to keep in mind when making pesto for your burger.
- First of all, make sure that you use fresh basil leaves. This will make a big difference in the flavor of your pesto.
- Secondly, be generous with the olive oil. The olive oil is what gives pesto its signature richness and creaminess, so don’t be afraid to use a lot of it.
- Lastly, don’t skimp on the Parmesan cheese. The cheese adds a lot of depth of flavor to the pesto, so make sure to use a good quality Parmesan that has been freshly grated.
When it comes to pairing ingredients with your lamb and pesto burger, I would recommend sticking to simple toppings like lettuce, tomato, and onion.
These classic toppings will allow the flavor of the lamb and pesto to really shine through.
However, if you want to get a little more adventurous with your toppings, feel free to experiment with different cheeses, sauces, and vegetables.
11 Best Lamb Burger Toppings
- Avocado Tzatziki Sauce
- Lemon Garlic Aioli
- Feta Cheese
- Caramelized onions
- Goat cheese
- Roasted red peppers
- Lebanese Cucumber Yogurt Sauce
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Choose your favorite toppings from this list to add to your lamb burger recipe.
- Prepare the rest of your meal.
- Enjoy in no time!