Avocado toast has become a breakfast staple and a popular brunch option for many.
The creamy texture of mashed avocado on top of crispy toast is a simple yet satisfying combination.
However, finding the perfect avocado toast topping can take your toast game to the next level.
Whether you prefer sweet or savory, vegan or non-vegan, there are endless options to match your taste.
In this article, we’ve compiled a list of the 15 best avocado toast toppings and topping ideas that are sure to add an extra oomph to your toast recipe.
From basic avocado and salt to added slices of garlic, we’ve got you covered with all the avocado toast ideas you need to make your toast bread the star of your breakfast or brunch table.
Why Use Toppings On Avocado Toast?
Are you still on the fence about using toppings on your avocado toast?
Here are five reasons why you should consider adding toppings to your toast:
- Flavor Variety: By adding different toppings to your avocado toast, you can create a variety of flavors that cater to your taste buds. Sweet or savory, spicy or mild – the possibilities are endless. You can mix and match toppings to make each bite a unique experience.
- Nutritional Boost: While avocado is already packed with essential nutrients such as fiber, healthy fats, and vitamins, adding toppings can enhance the nutritional value of your toast. For example, adding sliced tomatoes, smoked salmon, or eggs can provide your body with additional vitamins and protein.
- Texture: Adding toppings to your avocado toast can provide a range of textures that elevate your toast experience. Toasted nuts or seeds can add a crunch, while fresh herbs can add a pop of freshness.
- Creativity: Toppings offer a chance to get creative with your breakfast or brunch. You can mix and match different ingredients to create a new and exciting combination every time. The possibilities are only limited by your imagination.
- Visual Appeal: Toppings can make your avocado toast look even more appealing. Adding colorful ingredients like sliced radishes or diced bell peppers can make your toast look more attractive and appetizing.
By using avocado toast toppings, you can elevate your breakfast or brunch experience in more ways than one.
From flavor variety to nutritional value, toppings offer a range of benefits that can make your avocado toast even more enjoyable.
15 Best Avocado Toast Toppings
Avocado toast is a popular dish, but it can get boring quickly.
Luckily, there are plenty of delicious toppings you can add to give your avocado toast an extra kick.
Here are fifteen of the best avocado toast toppings that will take this simple dish to the next level:
- Roasted Red Peppers: Add some roasted red peppers on top of your avocado toast for a sweet and smoky flavor.
- Pickled Onions: Pickled onions provide a tangy and flavorful topping for your avocado toast.
- Za’atar: Sprinkle some za’atar seasoning on top of your mashed avocado for a Middle Eastern-inspired breakfast.
- Mango Salsa: Top your avocado toast with a sweet and spicy mango salsa for a tropical twist.
- Smashed Black Beans: Spread some smashed black beans on top of your avocado toast for a hearty and nutritious breakfast option.
- Radicchio: Add some sliced radicchio to your avocado toast for a bitter and crunchy topping.
- Balsamic Glaze: Drizzle some balsamic glaze on top of your mashed avocado for a sweet and tangy flavor.
- Pesto: Spread some pesto on top of your avocado toast for a fresh and flavorful breakfast.
- Kimchi: Add some kimchi on top of your mashed avocado for a spicy and sour breakfast option.
- Grilled Pineapple: Grilled pineapple provides a sweet and smoky topping for your avocado toast.
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes: Top your mashed avocado with some sun-dried tomatoes for a flavorful and chewy breakfast option.
- Harissa: Spread some harissa paste on top of your avocado toast for a spicy and bold flavor.
- Cucumber Ribbons: Add some thin cucumber ribbons on top of your mashed avocado for a refreshing and crunchy topping.
- Edamame: Spread some edamame on top of your avocado toast for a protein-packed and healthy breakfast option.
- Sourdough Croutons: Add some homemade sourdough croutons on top of your mashed avocado for a crunchy and delicious breakfast.
How To Pick The Right Topping For Your Toast Recipe
With so many options available, it can be overwhelming to choose the right topping for your avocado toast.
Here are a few tips to help you pick the perfect topping:
- Consider Your Mood: Are you feeling sweet or savory? Do you want something light or hearty? Your mood can play a role in determining the type of topping you choose. If you’re feeling sweet, you might want to try a combination of honey and cinnamon. If you’re feeling savory, you might want to go for some sliced cherry tomatoes with balsamic glaze.
- Experiment with Combinations: Don’t be afraid to mix and match different toppings to find a combination that works for you. For example, mashed avocado with smoked salmon and a poached egg can make a delicious breakfast option.
- Think about Texture: The texture of the topping can be just as important as the flavor. Toasted nuts, crumbled feta cheese, or crispy bacon can add a crunch to your toast and make it more interesting.
- Keep it Simple: Sometimes, less is more. A basic avocado toast topping of mashed avocado with a sprinkle of salt and pepper can be just as satisfying as a more elaborate topping.
- Match it with the Bread: The type of bread you use can also affect your topping choice. For example, if you’re using a hearty whole-grain bread, you might want to go for a topping that has a stronger flavor, like roasted red peppers or caramelized onions.
By considering these factors, you can pick the perfect topping for your avocado toast recipe. Whether you want something sweet or savory, crunchy or smooth, the right topping can take your toast game to the next level.
5 Fun Toast Ideas
Are you tired of the same old avocado toast topping combinations?
Here are five fun toast ideas that will add some excitement to your breakfast or brunch routine:
- The Rainbow Toast: To make this colorful toast, you’ll need a few different toppings like sliced strawberries, blueberries, kiwi, and sliced banana. Arrange the toppings in a rainbow pattern on top of your mashed avocado, and you’ll have a visually stunning breakfast.
- The Mediterranean Toast: This toast idea combines some of the classic flavors of Mediterranean cuisine. Top your avocado toast with crumbled feta cheese, chopped tomatoes, sliced olives, and a drizzle of olive oil. You can even add a sprinkle of za’atar seasoning for an extra kick of flavor.
- The Everything Bagel Toast: Love everything bagels? You can recreate the flavor with this toast idea. Toast your bread and top it with mashed avocado, then sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning, which typically includes sesame seeds, poppy seeds, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- The Vegan BLT Toast: Love the classic BLT sandwich, but looking for a vegan option? Try this vegan BLT toast. Top your avocado toast with crispy tempeh bacon, sliced tomatoes, and lettuce. You can even add a dollop of vegan mayo for some extra creaminess.
- The Southwestern Toast: For this toast idea, you’ll need some black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, and sliced jalapenos. Top your mashed avocado with these ingredients, and you’ll have a spicy and flavorful breakfast or brunch option.
How To Make Avocado Taste Better
Avocado is a nutritious and delicious food, but if you’re not a fan of the taste, it can be challenging to incorporate it into your meals.
Here are a few tips to help you make avocado taste better:
- Add Salt and Pepper: A simple way to enhance the flavor of mashed avocado is to sprinkle it with salt and pepper. The salt helps to bring out the natural sweetness of the avocado, while the pepper adds a slight kick of heat.
- Try Different Toppings: Toppings can add flavor and texture to your mashed avocado. Try adding sliced tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese, diced onions, or crispy bacon to your avocado toast.
- Mix in Other Ingredients: Mixing other ingredients with mashed avocado can help to balance out the flavor. Try mixing in a small amount of lemon or lime juice, garlic powder, or herbs like cilantro or basil.
- Roast or Grill the Avocado: Roasting or grilling the avocado can bring out a deeper, richer flavor. Simply cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and grill or roast until slightly charred.
- Pair it with Something Sweet: Avocado can be paired with sweet ingredients like honey or maple syrup to balance out its flavor. Try drizzling a small amount of honey on top of mashed avocado for a sweet and savory combination.
5 Healthy Avocado Toast Toppings
Avocado toast is already a healthy breakfast option, but by adding some nutritious toppings, you can make it even healthier.
Here are five healthy avocado toast toppings to try:
- Smoked Salmon: Adding a few slices of smoked salmon to your avocado toast can provide your body with healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for brain function and heart health.
- Sliced Tomatoes: Tomatoes are high in vitamin C and antioxidants, making them a great addition to your avocado toast. They’re also low in calories and high in water content, making them a hydrating option.
- Hard-Boiled Eggs: Hard-boiled eggs are an excellent source of protein, and they’re easy to add to your avocado toast. They also contain essential nutrients like vitamin D and choline.
- Sprouts: Adding sprouts like alfalfa or clover to your avocado toast can provide your body with essential vitamins and minerals like vitamin K, vitamin C, and potassium.
- Sliced Radishes: Radishes are low in calories and high in fiber, making them a great addition to your avocado toast. They also contain important nutrients like vitamin C and folate.
5 Sweet Avocado Toast Toppings
Avocado toast doesn’t have to be savory.
Here are five sweet avocado toast toppings that will satisfy your sweet tooth:
- Berries and Honey: Top your avocado toast with a variety of berries like sliced strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries, and drizzle with honey for a sweet and refreshing breakfast.
- Nut Butter and Banana: Spread some almond or peanut butter on top of your mashed avocado, and add some sliced bananas on top for a sweet and creamy combination.
- Cinnamon and Sugar: Sprinkle your mashed avocado with a mixture of cinnamon and sugar for a sweet and spicy toast topping that’s perfect for fall.
- Chocolate and Coconut: Mix some cocoa powder into your mashed avocado, and sprinkle with shredded coconut for a decadent chocolatey breakfast.
- Chia Seeds and Agave: Add some chia seeds to your mashed avocado, and drizzle with agave nectar for a sweet and crunchy breakfast option.
5 Vegan Avocado Toast Toppings
If you’re following a vegan diet, avocado toast is a great breakfast or brunch option.
Here are five vegan avocado toast toppings to try:
- Vegan Cream Cheese: Spread some vegan cream cheese on top of your mashed avocado for a creamy and tangy breakfast option. You can also add some sliced tomatoes or cucumber for extra flavor.
- Hummus and Vegetables: Top your avocado toast with a generous dollop of hummus and some sliced vegetables like cucumbers, carrots, or bell peppers for a crunchy and nutritious breakfast.
- Tofu Scramble: Scramble some tofu with your favorite vegetables and seasonings, and use it as a topping for your avocado toast for a hearty and satisfying breakfast.
- Nutritional Yeast: Sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top of your mashed avocado for a cheesy and savory breakfast option. Nutritional yeast is a great source of protein and vitamin B12, making it a popular ingredient in vegan diets.
- Salsa and Guacamole: Mix some salsa and guacamole together, and use it as a topping for your avocado toast for a zesty and flavorful breakfast.
Using Avocados vs Mashed Avocado
Avocados and mashed avocado are two different forms of the same fruit, and they have slightly different properties and uses.
Avocados are the whole fruit, which consists of a tough outer skin, a thick layer of creamy flesh, and a large seed in the center. Avocados are a great source of healthy fats, vitamins, and minerals, and they can be eaten on their own or used as an ingredient in many different recipes.
Mashed avocado, on the other hand, is simply avocado that has been peeled and mashed into a spreadable consistency. Mashed avocado is commonly used as a topping for toast, as a dip for vegetables or chips, or as an ingredient in recipes like guacamole.
While both avocados and mashed avocado are nutritious and delicious, they have some differences in terms of texture and uses. Avocados have a firmer texture and can be sliced or diced for use in salads or sandwiches, while mashed avocado is soft and spreadable, making it a great topping for toast or dip for vegetables.
In terms of nutrition, both avocados and mashed avocado are rich in healthy fats, fiber, and vitamins, making them great choices for a healthy diet. However, mashed avocado may be slightly higher in calories and fat due to the added processing and potential inclusion of other ingredients.
Overall, whether you choose to eat avocados or mashed avocado depends on personal preference and intended use. Both forms of avocado offer numerous health benefits and delicious flavor, and can be used in a variety of ways to enhance your meals.
What goes well with avocado toast?
Avocado toast can be paired with a variety of ingredients, including sliced tomatoes, feta cheese, smoked salmon, bacon, sprouts, and eggs. You can also add spices and herbs like chili flakes, cumin, and cilantro for extra flavor.
What can I put on top of an avocado?
You can put a variety of toppings on top of mashed avocado, including sliced vegetables, smoked salmon, nuts, seeds, spices, and herbs. You can also spread a thin layer of nut butter or cream cheese on top for extra flavor and creaminess.
How are you supposed to eat avocado toast?
Avocado toast can be eaten as a breakfast or brunch option, or as a light snack. You can eat it open-faced, or sandwich two slices of toast together. Use a knife and fork to eat it, or simply pick it up with your hands and take a bite.
How do you garnish an avocado?
You can garnish avocado toast with a variety of ingredients, including sliced vegetables, herbs, nuts, and seeds. You can also drizzle it with olive oil or balsamic glaze for extra flavor and visual appeal.
What is the best topping on toast?
The best topping on toast depends on personal preference. Some popular options include mashed avocado, sliced tomatoes, smoked salmon, bacon, and cream cheese. Experiment with different toppings to find the perfect combination for your taste buds.
What to pair with avocado?
Avocado can be paired with a variety of ingredients, including grilled chicken, shrimp, or tofu. You can also add it to salads, sandwiches, and wraps for extra creaminess and flavor.
What to put on avocado toast with egg?
There are many options for topping avocado toast with egg, including scrambled eggs, fried eggs, or poached eggs. You can also add sliced tomatoes, bacon, or feta cheese for extra flavor and texture.
In conclusion, avocado toast is a versatile and delicious breakfast or brunch option that can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Whether you prefer sweet or savory toppings, vegan or non-vegan options, there’s an avocado toast recipe out there for everyone. With the remaining terms, here are some additional thoughts:
If you’re new to making avocado toast, don’t be intimidated. It’s a simple dish that can be made in just a few minutes with minimal ingredients. All you need is some ripe avocados, bread, and your favorite toppings.
For added flavor and health benefits, try experimenting with some of the healthy avocado toast toppings like sliced tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, and sprouts. Or if you’re in the mood for something sweet, try adding toppings like berries, nut butter, or coconut.
With the right toppings and a little creativity, you can transform a basic avocado toast into a delicious and satisfying meal. Don’t forget to add a sprinkle of salt and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice to enhance the flavor of the mashed avocado.
So next time you’re looking for a quick and easy breakfast or brunch option, give avocado toast a try. With so many topping options available, the possibilities are endless.
15 Best Avocado Toast Toppings
- Roasted Red Peppers
- Pickled Onions
- Mango Salsa
- Smashed Black Beans
- Balsamic Glaze
- Grilled Pineapple
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Cucumber Ribbons
- Sourdough Croutons
- Select your favorite toppings from this article.
- Organize the rest of your ingredients.
- Prep an avocado toast in 20 minutes or less.
Jenny has always been passionate about cooking, and she uses her platform to share her joy of food with others. Her recipes are easy to follow, and she loves giving tips and tricks to help others create their own unique culinary creations.