Honey mustard chicken is a delicious and easy weeknight meal.
It’s sweet, tangy, and so flavorful.
And the best part is that it goes with just about any vegetable!
So if you are wondering what vegetables go with honey mustard chicken, then you are in the right place.
I’m sharing 13 of my favorite vegetables that go with this dish.
From roasted potatoes and carrots to steamed broccoli and sauteed green beans (see also these canned green bean recipes), there is sure to be something on this list that your family will love.
What Vegetables Go with Honey Mustard Chicken?
Honey mustard chicken pairs well with a variety of vegetables, such as green beans, carrots, potatoes, and even salad. If you want to add a bit of sweetness to the dish, you can also include fruits like grapes or apples.
But why should one serve veggies with this dish?
The answer is simple – they not only taste great with the chicken but also add extra nutrients and vitamins.
With that said, here are 13 vegetables that go well with honey mustard chicken:
1. Green Beans
Green beans can be cooked in many different ways, but for this recipe, it is best to blanch them.
Blanching green beans is a quick and easy way to cook them so that they retain their bright green color and are still crisp and crunchy.
To blanch green beans, simply boil them in water for 2-3 minutes and then remove them from the heat and place them in a bowl of ice water.
This will stop the cooking process and help keep the green beans nice and crisp.
Once the green beans have been blanched, all you need to do is toss them in a honey mustard sauce.
Carrots bring a beautiful color and sweetness to honey mustard chicken.
They are also a great source of vitamins and minerals, making them a perfect choice for a side dish.
There are many ways to cook carrots with honey mustard chicken.
- One way is to roast the carrots in the oven with the chicken.
- Another way is to sauté them in a pan on the stovetop.
- Or, you could even grill the carrots for a smoky flavor.
Whichever way you choose to cook them, carrots are a delicious and healthy addition to honey mustard chicken.
Potatoes are the most popular vegetable to pair with honey mustard chicken.
There are many different ways that you can cook potatoes with honey mustard chicken, but some of the most popular methods are roasting, mashed, or as a simple side dish.
Roasting potatoes with honey mustard chicken is a great way to get crispy potatoes that are full of flavor.
- To roast potatoes, you will need to cut them into bite-sized pieces and toss them in a bit of olive oil.
- Then, you will want to spread them out on a baking sheet and bake them at a high temperature until they are crispy.
- Once they are crispy, you can add your honey mustard chicken to the baking sheet and finish cooking everything together.
Mashed potatoes are another classic way to enjoy this dish.
Mashed potatoes go well with honey mustard chicken because they provide a creamy contrast to the crispy chicken.
- To make mashed potatoes, you will need to boil or steam some potatoes until they are soft.
- Then, you will mash them with some butter, milk, and salt to taste.
- Once they are smooth and creamy, you can stir in some honey mustard sauce and serve alongside your chicken.
Yes, a salad isn’t technically a vegetable, but I had to give it an honorable mention because it goes so well with honey mustard chicken.
Honey mustard chicken is a dish that can be made in a variety of ways, but the most common way is to bake it.
You simply take chicken breasts (or thighs, if you prefer) and coat them in a mixture of honey and mustard.
Then, you bake them until they are cooked through.
The result is tender, juicy chicken with a crispy coating that is slightly sweet and tangy.
A salad is the perfect side dish for this because it lightens up the meal and adds some much-needed freshness.
Broccoli is known for being a bit bland and boring on its own, but when paired with the right ingredients, it can be absolutely delicious.
Honey mustard chicken is one of those perfect pairings.
The sweetness of the honey and the tanginess of the mustard compliment the broccoli perfectly.
There are many different ways that you can cook broccoli with chicken.
One way is to simply roast them together in the oven. Another way is to sautee them in a pan together.
Or, if you’re looking for something a bit lighter, you could even grill them together.
Whichever way you choose to cook them, they will come out tasting great.6. Cauliflower
Cauliflower is also known for being a bit bland, but trust me, it can be quite the opposite when paired with the right ingredients.
Honey mustard chicken is a perfect example of this.
The sweetness from the honey, the tanginess from the mustard, and the savoriness from the chicken all come together to create a dish that is packed with flavor.
Cauliflower soaks up all of these flavors perfectly and becomes a delicious side dish that compliments the chicken perfectly.
There are many different ways that you can cook cauliflower to go along with your honey mustard chicken.
You can roast it in the oven, sauté it on the stovetop, or even grill it for a smoky flavor.
No matter how you choose to cook it, cauliflower is a great vegetable to pair with honey mustard chicken.
Peas are quite underrated if you ask me, but they go so well with honey mustard chicken!
They are the perfect little pop of sweetness and color that takes this dish to the next level.
There are a few different ways you can cook peas with chicken.
You could simply roast the chicken and peas together in the oven with some seasonings.
Or, you could sautee them both in a pan on the stove top.
Another option would be to add them into a slow cooker recipe with the chicken.
Corn is an American classic that goes great with all sorts of chicken dishes, but especially honey mustard chicken.
There are many ways to cook corn, but three popular methods are roasting, grilling, and boiling.
- Roasting corn is a great way to bring out its natural sweetness. Simply place whole ears of corn on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
- Grilling is another excellent way to cook corn and give it a bit of smoky flavor. Soak the ears of corn in water for about 30 minutes before placing them on the grill. Grill over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Boiling is the simplest way to cook corn and can be done right on the stovetop. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the ears of corn. Cook for about 5-7 minutes until tender.
All three of these methods would work great with honey mustard chicken.
Corn is such a versatile side dish that can be enjoyed any time of year!
Mushrooms have been one of my favorite veggies since I was a kid.
I love their earthy flavor and how they can be cooked in so many different ways.
They go really well with honey mustard chicken, as the two flavors complement each other perfectly.
There are a few different ways you can cook mushrooms with chicken.
- One way is to simply add them into the pan when you’re cooking the chicken.
- Another way is to make a separate side dish of mushrooms, sauteed in some butter or olive oil.
- Or, my personal favorite way to eat them is to stuff them! You can stuff mushrooms with all sorts of things, but my favorite is to stuff them with a mixture of cream cheese, garlic, and bread crumbs, then bake them until they’re nice and crispy.
No matter how you choose to cook them, mushrooms are a delicious and healthy addition to any meal.
Zucchini doesn’t pack a ton of flavor on its own, but when cooked properly, it can be a delicious addition to any dish.
Honey mustard chicken is a great example of this.
The sweetness from the honey and the tanginess from the mustard work perfectly together, and the zucchini helps to balance out the flavors.
There are many different ways that you can cook zucchini with chicken.
- One option is to simply slice it thin and roast it in the oven with the chicken.
- Another option is to sauté it in a pan with some olive oil and garlic.
- Or, if you’re looking for something a little lighter, you could grill both the chicken and zucchini on a skewer.
Squash comes in many different varieties, but some of the most common include yellow squash, zucchini, and acorn squash.
All of these varieties go great with honey mustard chicken.
- One way to cook squash with chicken is to simply roast them in the oven together. Cut the squash into bite-sized pieces and toss with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then place on a baking sheet alongside chicken breasts that have been coated in honey mustard sauce. Bake at 425 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Another option is to sautee the squash. This can be done either in a pan on the stovetop or in an electric skillet. Start by heating some oil in the pan over medium heat. Then add sliced squash and cook until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add cubed or shredded chicken to the pan during the last few minutes of cooking so it can heat through.
- Finally, you could also grill both the chicken and squash together. This is a great option for summertime cooking. Coat sliced squash in a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper as desired. Then place on a preheated grill alongside chicken that has been coated in honey mustard sauce. Grill for 5-7 minutes per side, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Onions are super popular for adding flavor to pretty much any dish, but they are especially delicious when used in chicken recipes.
There are tons of different ways that you can cook onions with chicken, but three of the most popular methods are frying, roasting, and sauteing.
Fried onions add a crispy element to any dish, while roasted onions become nice and soft and almost melt in your mouth.
Sauteed onions are somewhere in between – they retain some of their crunch but also become very flavorful.
Whichever way you choose to cook them, onions are a great way to add some extra flavor to your honey mustard chicken.
13. Bell Peppers
Whether you make stuffed bell peppers, roasted bell peppers, or sauteed bell peppers, they are always a fantastic side dish to go alongside honey mustard chicken.
Bell peppers are extremely versatile and can be cooked in a variety of ways.
They also have a bit of sweetness to them that helps balance out the savory flavors in the honey mustard sauce.
- Stuffed bell peppers are a great option if you want something a little more substantial. You can stuff them with rice, quinoa, ground chicken, or really anything else you like.
- Roasting bell peppers is another delicious way to enjoy them. Simply slice them up, toss them in some olive oil and your favorite seasonings, and roast them in the oven until they are soft and slightly charred around the edges.
- Sauteed bell peppers are yet another fantastic option. Slice them up thin and saute them in a bit of olive oil until they are soft. You can add garlic, onion, or really any other seasonings you like.
What Vegetables Go with Honey Mustard Chicken? (13 Veggies)
- Green Beans
- Bell Peppers
- Pick any of these veggies to serve with your honey mustard chicken.
- Prepare the rest of your meal.
- Enjoy in no time!